closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Budget of up to £3.5k - what JLC reverso should I be targetting or similar?

Apprentice

Budget of up to £3.5k - what JLC reverso should I be targetting or similar?

Looking for a sub <£3.5k watch that can be used for daily wear without 'worrying'
    My style is generally quite smart casual so I have really longed for a JLC (Even though I know these are not the greatest 'investment pieces')
    Im overwhelmed with where to start
    I don't care if its very used/vintage - more character the better
    Should I be looking at a JLC? Are there alternatives for smart casual
    I love the JLC rectangle face on a leather/material strap
    Out of the JLCs in the price range are any expected to appreciate? (I bought a 42042 VC when it was similar pricing and that is worth 3x in a few years since)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't expect to make on any JLC. The price may appreciate with time but don't expect the 3 X return you did with things purchased in 2021.

JLC are quite expensive to service. I would imagine the service you will need during the purchase of any second hand reverso at £3.5k will eat away at any gains.

Craftsman
    That’s probably going to mean what was classique sized or the grande taille as was, but not a duo face for that sort of budget.
    Vintage models you could look for are 250.8.86 / 252.8.86 for a manual classique, and I think 270.8.62 for the gt. They changed the model codes a few years back so anything within the last four (?) years is similarly sized but with some other model adds.
    servicing expect to get relieved heftily through AD, there are a few Independents willing to do, but parts are difficult..
    al

Personally, I’d be going for a Cartier Tank Solo XL automatic.

It doesn’t have the same horological chops as a JLC but IMO it’s a better looking watch than any Reverso and it should be easier and cheaper to service.

YMMV.

Master
    I disagree about better looking personally but both are certainly striking and elegant. The Reverso is an itch that can really only be scratched with a Reverso IMO. Regarding servicing, both are Richemont group products and serviced at the same place, while the Cartier uses an off the shelf ETA or Sellita which in theory is more friendly for an independent watchmaker to work on, if you go official both are very expensive to service so I don't see that as a massive plus for the Solo personally. A recent example of either will be covered under a 8 year warranty so servicing might be a can you can kick down the road for a few years if you can stretch to a newish one.

This is a 1990s Grand Taille Reverso Duoface next to a recent Solo Auto XL.:

Last edited by Padders; 17th April 2024 at 12:47.

Master
    The current Tank Must XL has Cartier’s in house MC1847. It think they’re nicer than Reversos.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I disagree about better looking personally but both are certainly striking and elegant. The Reverso is an itch that can really only be scratched with a Reverso IMO. Regarding servicing, both are Richemont group products and serviced at the same place, while the Cartier uses an off the shelf ETA or Sellita which in theory is more friendly for an independent watchmaker to work on, if you go official both are very expensive to service so I don't see that as a massive plus for the Solo personally. A recent example of either will be covered under a 8 year warranty so servicing might be a can you can kick down the road for a few years if you can stretch to a newish one.

This is a 1990s Grand Taille Reverso Duoface next to a recent Solo Auto XL.:

Thanks all for the commentary

I imagine I would be buying a much older JLC with my budget. So I assume well out of warranty.

What are the service schedules like for these? Taking it to an independent would surely not impact price that much particularly for a 3.5k£ ish watch?

Any other suggestions of watch models welcome

Im going to look more into the Cartier - but I just like the uniqueness of the JLC lol

Quote Originally Posted by dng992 View Post
    Looking for a sub <£3.5k watch that can be used for daily wear without 'worrying'
    My style is generally quite smart casual so I have really longed for a JLC (Even though I know these are not the greatest 'investment pieces')
    Im overwhelmed with where to start
    I don't care if its very used/vintage - more character the better
    Should I be looking at a JLC? Are there alternatives for smart casual
    I love the JLC rectangle face on a leather/material strap
    Out of the JLCs in the price range are any expected to appreciate? (I bought a 42042 VC when it was similar pricing and that is worth 3x in a few years since)
    Find a dealer where you can try the Reverso, I've long admired them but every time I try one it just doesn't sit right, you obviously may have better luck.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Find a dealer where you can try the Reverso, I've long admired them but every time I try one it just doesn't sit right, you obviously may have better luck.
    This is a good point. Reversos and in fact all tanks inc the Cartier work best on a flatter less boney wrist. They are marginal on mine but I live with it.