closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never thought I’d buy a g-shock but....

Master

Never thought I’d buy a g-shock but....

Just ordered this ...

https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-2110et-2aer

I have liked g-shocks for a long time but just never saw one I liked enough to order. With a world time function this will be a great watch to travel wearing. Also, I tend not to wear mechanical watches for golf and don’t wear my current crop of watches to water parks etc. This can fulfil all those functions for me. Cheap too! Look forward to getting this one now. Decent dimensions too!

Stu

I bought the all Matt back one https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-2100-1aer for walking/playing with the dog while she was still nipping, and I’ve actually worn it a lot more than I expected.
    Being so slim for a G-Shock they’re a very wearable grab and go beater and I think excellent value for money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I bought the all Matt back one https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-2100-1aer for walking/playing with the dog while she was still nipping, and I’ve actually worn it a lot more than I expected.
    Being so slim for a G-Shock they’re a very wearable grab and go beater and I think excellent value for money.
    That’s it. The size and cleaner aesthetic than normal g-shocks is what grabbed my attention. I am sure I will get a good amount of use out of it.

Now you've got a taste, give it a few weeks and you'll be seeking out your first square

Master
    Enjoying mine at the moment.

I must have a G Shock inventory some time soon. I bet I have about ten of them.

Had loads of them over the years, most of them are too chunky but they do what they say in terms of toughness

have been eyeing on this for years...but never pull the trigger

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post

Currently wearing that one :)

Thinking of switching to a casioak though. I actually like the look of the new mini version even though it's designed for ladies.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Just ordered this ...

https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-2110et-2aer

I have liked g-shocks for a long time but just never saw one I liked enough to order. With a world time function this will be a great watch to travel wearing. Also, I tend not to wear mechanical watches for golf and don’t wear my current crop of watches to water parks etc. This can fulfil all those functions for me. Cheap too! Look forward to getting this one now. Decent dimensions too!

Stu
    got the matte black one in feb. Really nice piece but trying to set the time was a proper chore. Had to use a youtube video to work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    got the matte black one in feb. Really nice piece but trying to set the time was a proper chore. Had to use a youtube video to work it out.
    I'm glad it's not just me that needs help to do things with Casio movements. I've had a few over the years and it's almost inevitable that I need to download the manual or go on youtube to change to/from DST etc

Bought one last year from Argos sale, I think it was £59, for my son. He wore it to school, took it off when playing football on the playground & some one pinched it. He said he took it off so that it wouldn't get damaged, I told him it's a G-Shock they're made to be abused.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I know what you mean, i'm a hardcore vintage mechanical fan, but must admit G-shocks have worked hard to establish their well deserved place among the icons.
    Tee one you picked is a very pretty example, congrats! :)
    I had been eyeing with their British Army collaboration piece, Ernest Jones had it on a 50% sale few weeks ago, plus some other discount, pushing it to under £200 - EJ website was not stating their stock levels, only that they had less than 3 pieces left - me idiot didn't pull the trigger immediately, and of course somebody nicked it out of my basket! I've been regretting it ever since.. :(

Journeyman
    I really like the look of the Casio-Oaks and have nearly pulled the trigger a few times.

Particularly like the transparent one

G-Shocks are a huge blindspot for me.

I can't understand the enthusiasm for them at all.

Cheap Casios, sure, but G-Shocks (especially the expensive ones) just leave me bemused...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Cheap Casios, sure, but G-Shocks (especially the expensive ones) just leave me bemused...

M
    This was and kind of still is my view. I am buying this as an experiment to see if it changes my mind. It’s a watch I will wear golfing, on family holidays in theme and water parks, cleaning cars, playing sports etc. All the sorts of activities I won’t and don’t tend to wear a watch for now and it annoys me not having one on. Let’s see how the experiment goes!

This was and kind of still is my view. I am buying this as an experiment to see if it changes my mind. It’s a watch I will wear golfing, on family holidays in theme and water parks, cleaning cars, playing sports etc. All the sorts of activities I won’t and don’t tend to wear a watch for now and it annoys me not having one on. Let’s see how the experiment goes!
    I'll watch with interest - I've sometimes felt I should try, but I think I'll just accept they're not for me.

M.

I love my black/grey Casioak but as others have said, changing the time is a right PITA.
    They have other ana/digi models available with bluetooth so should have gone in that direction imo.

It’s a watch I will wear golfing, on family holidays in theme and water parks, cleaning cars, playing sports etc. All the sorts of activities I won’t and don’t tend to wear a watch for now and it annoys me not having one on.
    This. Add in gardening, DIY.

It’s a beater. A proper one. I’d never spend more than £150 on one. I’m lost on the appeal of the more expensive ones or those that have polished/reflective surfaces but cost and value are subjective, I guess.

I've often fancied a G but always felt the money was better spent elsewhere.

I was working in Woking the other week and on my way back to my car, I dropped into Debenhams to see what was in their closing down sale. Sitting all lonely in a display cabinet amongst a load of Sekonda's was a lone 5610-1ER. Could't resist it at 50% discount.

I really like it. Very handy for setting the time on my other watches too!

I made a thread on one of these, great watch for the money

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Barton-Elite)

M
    They're the modern day classic 'tool watch' IMO. I struggle a little bit to understand the folk who collect a bunch of them (but to each their own), but given how affordable they are I think everyone should probably have one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I must have a G Shock inventory some time soon. I bet I have about ten of them.
    Turns out I only have eight.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I made a thread on one of these, great watch for the money

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Barton-Elite)

They're the modern day classic 'tool watch' IMO. I struggle a little bit to understand the folk who collect a bunch of them (but to each their own), but given how affordable they are I think everyone should probably have one!
    But looking at around £100 for a plastic watch with a battery. Surely a Vostok mechanical watch in steel that is equally as rugged allegedly. With huge water resistance, is better value, even able to get two for £100 and no batteries required!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    But looking at around £100 for a plastic watch with a battery. Surely a Vostok mechanical watch in steel that is equally as rugged allegedly. With huge water resistance, is better value, even able to get two for £100 and no batteries required!
    I paid half that, swapped out the bezel for steel and strap for a Barton, all in was under 80 quid. Even at RRP though, honestly you're getting an incredibly robust watch (incomparable to any mechanical), solar powered, zero maintenance, updates it's own time from an atomic clock etc. Not to mention it's got all the usual gizmos, stop watch, world time etc. This one can even pinpoint your location on a map for later and find your lost phone if it's in Bluetooth range. It's incredible value for money.

Of course it's a very different experience from a mechanical and I'm in no way saying it's better, I assure you mechanicals get far more wrist time for me, but if you want an actual tool watch then it's a no-contest IMO.

This was a birthday or Christmas present around 1995.
    The plastic bezel eventually crumbled due to years of abuse.
    Now refurbished with a metal bezel from Ali-Express.

I would like to do a gold version sometime if I can get hold of a cheap donor watch.

This arrived last week and has been my daily since, it knocked the other G Shock I purchased last year off the "daily beater" shelf

Was never really into them until I saw a modded one on here and now own a few. The "pension plan" watches can rest in the safe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Nowhere near as accurate, no dual time / stopwatch / alarm / solar power etc. Of course you can have both! I don't have a Vostok, but I do have a number of inexpensive mechanical watches. It's all good.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    I've often fancied a G but always felt the money was better spent elsewhere.

I was working in Woking the other week and on my way back to my car, I dropped into Debenhams to see what was in their closing down sale. Sitting all lonely in a display cabinet amongst a load of Sekonda's was a lone 5610-1ER. Could't resist it at 50% discount.

I really like it. Very handy for setting the time on my other watches too!
    That's a great deal. Always wanted a G Shock too. My first proper watch was an F91 when I was about 8/9yrs old, gone to the landfill decades ago when the strap disintegrated. Loved that thing.

Earlier this year I picked in a GW50001JF and It's proved fantastic for hiking, woodwork, cooking, beach, working on the car etc.

Use it to set the time on my other watches too
    Last edited by davidlee89; 5th May 2021 at 11:09.

Master
    Some nice watches being shared.

For anyone buying the range I bought this YouTube video is a must! It shows how to use the watch very clearly.

https://youtu.be/b0onnuFe5Pc

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Nowhere near as accurate, no dual time / stopwatch / alarm / solar power etc. Of course you can have both! I don't have a Vostok, but I do have a number of inexpensive mechanical watches. It's all good.
    Pop into a squash court, serve a g shock at the wall as hard as you can and it will survive - very likely without a mark. My teenage mates used to do that with ours back in the day and I can’t remember any of them getting damaged. Try that with any mechanical and it’ll be toast. And if that seems a bit ridiculous just drop any mechanical - even a tough one like a Rolex DeepSea - onto a tiled bathroom or kitchen floor from waist height - your Swiss timepiece is now just a bracelet that will cost a fortune to fix. In the same situation a g shock will just bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I bought one of these from Jura for not much money recently. It gets more wrist time whilst out sailing than my Omegas for a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder1 View Post
    This arrived last week and has been my daily since, it knocked the other G Shock I purchased last year off the "daily beater" shelf

Was never really into them until I saw a modded one on here and now own a few. The "pension plan" watches can rest in the safe.
    Picked one of these skeleton ones up myself, aside from working out the menus it’s a fun watch, looks good, not too bulky and very light, great for summer/beater tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    And if that seems a bit ridiculous just drop any mechanical - even a tough one like a Rolex DeepSea - onto a tiled bathroom or kitchen floor from waist height - your Swiss timepiece is now just a bracelet that will cost a fortune to fix. In the same situation a g shock will just bounce.
    I think you'll stand a good chance of a mechanical not working, but you're overstating the certainty - I've dropped mechanical watches onto our bathroom floor before without any ill effect (except a brief feeling of panic!)

It's certainly not the foregone conclusion you suggest and the advantage is I don't have to wear something that looks like a G-Shock!

If I want something to bounce, I'll buy a Tennis Ball!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 10th May 2021 at 11:45.

Never thought I’d buy a g-shock but....

I think you'll stand a good chance of a mechanical not working, but you're overstating the certainty - I've dropped mechanical watches onto our bathroom floor before without any ill effect (except a brief feeling of panic!)

It's certainly not the foregone conclusion you suggest and the advantage is I don't have to wear something that looks like a G-Shock!

If I want something to bounce, I'll buy a Tennis Ball!

M
    A fair point - I guess the essence of a g shock is as a proper ‘beater’ that can withstand nearly anything you can throw at it. They are ugly and utilitarian (I must admit to liking the ‘classic’ models like the 5600 - newer bling versions leave me cold) but that’s part of the charm imho. They are designed to be very tough which happens to make them a bit ugly!

There’s a reason why most serving military personnel opt for g-shocks.. they’re built to sustain a serious beating..

The Casioak is my first Casio since I was a youngster.. even though it’s cheap it does have some wrist presence, legibility is terrible but the fun outweighs that!

Love how slim it is, I’ve got 6.5” wrists and it’s nice and wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by rapid View Post
    There’s a reason why most serving military personnel opt for g-shocks.. they’re built to sustain a serious beating..

The Casioak is my first Casio since I was a youngster.. even though it’s cheap it does have some wrist presence, legibility is terrible but the fun outweighs that!

Love how slim it is, I’ve got 6.5” wrists and it’s nice and wearable.
    I've no idea what percentage of serving military personnel opt for a G-Shock, but even assuming it's a high number, going to the gym, washing the car or a mountain bike ride aren't combat.

I think there's an element of babying mechanical watches (just read some of the hysterical "My XYZ has a swirly!", "Is it safe to wipe my ass in my XYZ?" posts if you doubt it!) that leads people to believe they need a super tough 'watch' for all those roughtie-toughtie combat-like experiences their life throws at them.

Most modern (at least) mechanical watches are far more resistant to the odd shock than many people giving them credit for and I just take my watches off if I think I'm going to do anything likely to scratch them, but that doesn't include going to the gym or riding a bicycle.

Anyway, it's all a matter of personal choice, I just find the presumption that 'everyone needs a G-Shock', that is often expressed, baffling.

I've quite happily got through a lot of years without one and never had a watch fail as a result (I did put quite a deep scratch in the crystal on a Seiko chronograph I had for many years working on my car once...).

You don't see people stating that 'everyone needs a chronograph' to time the burn on their lunar lander engines, do you?

M

ok i had never seen a g shock i would have like to own till now!, its the rubber/ plastic straps / case/ all digi display square case shape etc i never found appealing :( and i am defo a bracelet kinda guy.

well as you do browsing you tube came across the "casioak" mod ,i had not seen it before or even heard of it (everyday is a school day)well cut a long story short , here is my first g shock! bought from e bay, ready assembled ( you can get kits) and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised, the quality of this bracelet (there are differing quality ones apparently) with the combination of grey dial is very nice and best combo IMO. came with screwdrivers, original strap / case, all warranty cards etc in picture's. its a large watch but fortunately i have big wrists and it sits very well and is comfortable .

Journeyman
    I'm with those that are mystified by the appeal of G-shocks. Of course for a few people they truly are a tool watch but for many others, they are simply offering a 'look', and are especially popular now for similar reasons that dive watches are everywhere. It does therefore make me chuckle a bit when I see the numerous threads where people say why would you buy x (expensive 'tool' watch) when you can have a G shock for a fraction of the money, because the same argument could be made for a cheap £15 casio over a G Shock. The cheap little casios have most of the utility, are perfectly tough enough and have the massive advantage that they are small and light for sporting activities or heavy work.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    ok i had never seen a g shock i would have like to own till now!, its the rubber/ plastic straps / case/ all digi display square case shape etc i never found appealing :( and i am defo a bracelet kinda guy.

well as you do browsing you tube came across the "casioak" mod ,i had not seen it before or even heard of it (everyday is a school day)well cut a long story short , here is my first g shock! bought from e bay, ready assembled ( you can get kits) and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised, the quality of this bracelet (there are differing quality ones apparently) with the combination of grey dial is very nice and best combo IMO. came with screwdrivers, original strap / case, all warranty cards etc in picture's. its a large watch but fortunately i have big wrists and it sits very well and is comfortable .

That does look good. But like you said, need a bigger size wrist to able able to pull it off properly

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    That does look good. But like you said, need a bigger size wrist to able able to pull it off properly

I’m keeping an eye on the supposed women’s range(!). They’re a bit smaller but the use of shiny diamanté type markers puts me off. Fingers crossed for a more restrained model.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    I really like that and I suspect far more wearable than my GPS G-Shock

I've no idea what percentage of serving military personnel opt for a G-Shock, but even assuming it's a high number, going to the gym, washing the car or a mountain bike ride aren't combat.

I think there's an element of babying mechanical watches (just read some of the hysterical "My XYZ has a swirly!", "Is it safe to wipe my ass in my XYZ?" posts if you doubt it!) that leads people to believe they need a super tough 'watch' for all those roughtie-toughtie combat-like experiences their life throws at them.

Most modern (at least) mechanical watches are far more resistant to the odd shock than many people giving them credit for and I just take my watches off if I think I'm going to do anything likely to scratch them, but that doesn't include going to the gym or riding a bicycle.

Anyway, it's all a matter of personal choice, I just find the presumption that 'everyone needs a G-Shock', that is often expressed, baffling.

I've quite happily got through a lot of years without one and never had a watch fail as a result (I did put quite a deep scratch in the crystal on a Seiko chronograph I had for many years working on my car once...).

You don't see people stating that 'everyone needs a chronograph' to time the burn on their lunar lander engines, do you?

M
    I get your point however:

The point of saying it’s used in combat is just to confirm the watch is fit for purpose for any task.

You say mechanical watches can take the rough and tumble (I agree) but take your watch off if you’re doing something likely to scratch.. that’s the use case everyone is fulfilling with a £100 watch..

At a minimum it’s a good beach/sea/holiday watch..

There’s a cheaper alternatives but the Casioak is a good middle ground if you’re after a tough watch with a more analogue look with hands.

No one is preaching that you need to buy a g-shock.. but there’s a fair few of us in this thread that have found the Casioak worthy of consideration, Casio did well to deviate from their norm as I believe this is a massive hit for them..

P.s Everyone has to have a G-Shock in their collection 😜

I take a diver to the beach or to go diving.

I can't think of any task that requires me to be wearing a watch that might scratch it.

Crawling under the car to undo some stuck bolts? Do I need to time that? Mixing cement? Putting up a fence? Nope, all of those are fine to check on a watch nearby if I wonder what the time is...

No G-Shock required...

If people like them, enjoy, but few people 'need' a G-Shock.

I certainly don't want a watch that looks like a criminal's tag!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 10th May 2021 at 18:49.

I can't think of any task that requires me to be wearing a watch that might scratch it.

Crawling under the car to undo some stuck bolts? Do I need to time that? Mixing cement? Putting up a fence? Nope, all of those are fine to check on a watch nearby if I wonder what the time is...

No G-Shock required...

M

We get it, you don’t like G-Shocks

No G-Shock required...

M

You’re the only person swimming the wrong way in this thread 😂 you could just ignore it but you’re a potential convert
    “I’ve sometimes felt I should try” - £100 on a bit of fun, admit it’s a bit of fun and confirm they’re indestructible and you’ll enjoy it for what it is..

Just. Do. It.

The OP started by saying he never really liked them, but he was giving them a go, which is fine.

I agreed with his original view and don't see why I can't swim against the tide.

It's not the "I love G-Shocks" thread.

I don't like them, but that's fine, I don't like lots of watches and lots of people won't like the watches I do, but there often seems to be a need to justify G-Shocks and insist everyone should have one, that I don't see from owners of other watches..

Anyway, if you like them, who cares?

Maybe I just balk at being told I should like them?

I promise I'll shut up now

M

Last edited by snowman; 10th May 2021 at 20:53.

got to be honest, if the mod had not been on the one i have bought i would not have bought the std g shock! bought it because i like it in its moded form not because i have to have a g shock. but i am very please with it !

Journeyman
    If you're anyway inclined towards cooking, the G Shock is a lifesaver. Stopwatch and countdown timer is great. I've put some nice scratches on metal dive clasps scraping against the kitchen sink, doing dishes etc. No issue with the G.

Sure I could use my phone or just not wear a watch but where's the fun in that!

I think digital watches as a whole are very useful with their combination of accuracy, alarms, countdown timers etc. They’re not really better or worse than something like an automatic diver, just very different. Let’s face it most of the range are quite inexpensive and most agree Casio G shocks are pretty much the king of the digital watch world in regard to price, quality and function. As a single watch to take on holiday which will wake you up with an alarm, which you can wear without fear of getting mugged, and will tell you the time in various parts of the world, you can wear on the beach and in the sea they’re great. I have large wrists so luckily I can wear some of the larger models like a frogman without it looking comically big. They’re not man jewellery, but I don’t think they look like an electronic tag! - we all think differently though - whenever I see someone wearing a speedmaster I think of a nerd who wants to be a spaceman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An earlier post reminded me of something I once read over on TRF which I’ve found to be very true.

“How do I set the time on my thousands of dollar Rolex?”

“Using my fifty bucks atomic G-Shock.”

Along with “I love my Rolex, it looks great and tells me roughly what time it is” but that’s another story!

(And before anyone asks “why bring Rolex into it?” I read these comments on TRF but the same applies to any expensive mechanical watch)

Loving mitch1956’s mod by the way!