closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Never thought Id buy a g-shock but....

Master

Never thought Id buy a g-shock but....

Just ordered this ...

https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-2110et-2aer

I have liked g-shocks for a long time but just never saw one I liked enough to order. With a world time function this will be a great watch to travel wearing. Also, I tend not to wear mechanical watches for golf and dont wear my current crop of watches to water parks etc. This can fulfil all those functions for me. Cheap too! Look forward to getting this one now. Decent dimensions too!

Stu

I bought the all Matt back one https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-2100-1aer for walking/playing with the dog while she was still nipping, and Ive actually worn it a lot more than I expected.
    Being so slim for a G-Shock theyre a very wearable grab and go beater and I think excellent value for money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I bought the all Matt back one https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-2100-1aer for walking/playing with the dog while she was still nipping, and Ive actually worn it a lot more than I expected.
    Being so slim for a G-Shock theyre a very wearable grab and go beater and I think excellent value for money.
    Thats it. The size and cleaner aesthetic than normal g-shocks is what grabbed my attention. I am sure I will get a good amount of use out of it.

Now you've got a taste, give it a few weeks and you'll be seeking out your first square

Master
    Enjoying mine at the moment.

I must have a G Shock inventory some time soon. I bet I have about ten of them.

Master
    Had loads of them over the years, most of them are too chunky but they do what they say in terms of toughness

have been eyeing on this for years...but never pull the trigger

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post

Currently wearing that one :)

Thinking of switching to a casioak though. I actually like the look of the new mini version even though it's designed for ladies.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Just ordered this ...

https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-2110et-2aer

I have liked g-shocks for a long time but just never saw one I liked enough to order. With a world time function this will be a great watch to travel wearing. Also, I tend not to wear mechanical watches for golf and dont wear my current crop of watches to water parks etc. This can fulfil all those functions for me. Cheap too! Look forward to getting this one now. Decent dimensions too!

Stu
    got the matte black one in feb. Really nice piece but trying to set the time was a proper chore. Had to use a youtube video to work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    got the matte black one in feb. Really nice piece but trying to set the time was a proper chore. Had to use a youtube video to work it out.
    I'm glad it's not just me that needs help to do things with Casio movements. I've had a few over the years and it's almost inevitable that I need to download the manual or go on youtube to change to/from DST etc

Journeyman

Bought one last year from Argos sale, I think it was 59, for my son. He wore it to school, took it off when playing football on the playground & some one pinched it. He said he took it off so that it wouldn't get damaged, I told him it's a G-Shock they're made to be abused.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I know what you mean, i'm a hardcore vintage mechanical fan, but must admit G-shocks have worked hard to establish their well deserved place among the icons.
    Tee one you picked is a very pretty example, congrats! :)
    I had been eyeing with their British Army collaboration piece, Ernest Jones had it on a 50% sale few weeks ago, plus some other discount, pushing it to under 200 - EJ website was not stating their stock levels, only that they had less than 3 pieces left - me idiot didn't pull the trigger immediately, and of course somebody nicked it out of my basket! I've been regretting it ever since.. :(

Journeyman
    I really like the look of the Casio-Oaks and have nearly pulled the trigger a few times.

Particularly like the transparent one

G-Shocks are a huge blindspot for me.

I can't understand the enthusiasm for them at all.

Cheap Casios, sure, but G-Shocks (especially the expensive ones) just leave me bemused...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Cheap Casios, sure, but G-Shocks (especially the expensive ones) just leave me bemused...

M
    This was and kind of still is my view. I am buying this as an experiment to see if it changes my mind. Its a watch I will wear golfing, on family holidays in theme and water parks, cleaning cars, playing sports etc. All the sorts of activities I wont and dont tend to wear a watch for now and it annoys me not having one on. Lets see how the experiment goes!

This was and kind of still is my view. I am buying this as an experiment to see if it changes my mind. Its a watch I will wear golfing, on family holidays in theme and water parks, cleaning cars, playing sports etc. All the sorts of activities I wont and dont tend to wear a watch for now and it annoys me not having one on. Lets see how the experiment goes!
    I'll watch with interest - I've sometimes felt I should try, but I think I'll just accept they're not for me.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I love my black/grey Casioak but as others have said, changing the time is a right PITA.
    They have other ana/digi models available with bluetooth so should have gone in that direction imo.

Its a watch I will wear golfing, on family holidays in theme and water parks, cleaning cars, playing sports etc. All the sorts of activities I wont and dont tend to wear a watch for now and it annoys me not having one on.
    This. Add in gardening, DIY.

Its a beater. A proper one. Id never spend more than 150 on one. Im lost on the appeal of the more expensive ones or those that have polished/reflective surfaces but cost and value are subjective, I guess.

I've often fancied a G but always felt the money was better spent elsewhere.

I was working in Woking the other week and on my way back to my car, I dropped into Debenhams to see what was in their closing down sale. Sitting all lonely in a display cabinet amongst a load of Sekonda's was a lone 5610-1ER. Could't resist it at 50% discount.

I really like it. Very handy for setting the time on my other watches too!

I made a thread on one of these, great watch for the money

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Barton-Elite)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    They're the modern day classic 'tool watch' IMO. I struggle a little bit to understand the folk who collect a bunch of them (but to each their own), but given how affordable they are I think everyone should probably have one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I must have a G Shock inventory some time soon. I bet I have about ten of them.
    Turns out I only have eight.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I made a thread on one of these, great watch for the money

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Barton-Elite)

They're the modern day classic 'tool watch' IMO. I struggle a little bit to understand the folk who collect a bunch of them (but to each their own), but given how affordable they are I think everyone should probably have one!
    But looking at around 100 for a plastic watch with a battery. Surely a Vostok mechanical watch in steel that is equally as rugged allegedly. With huge water resistance, is better value, even able to get two for 100 and no batteries required!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    But looking at around 100 for a plastic watch with a battery. Surely a Vostok mechanical watch in steel that is equally as rugged allegedly. With huge water resistance, is better value, even able to get two for 100 and no batteries required!
    I paid half that, swapped out the bezel for steel and strap for a Barton, all in was under 80 quid. Even at RRP though, honestly you're getting an incredibly robust watch (incomparable to any mechanical), solar powered, zero maintenance, updates it's own time from an atomic clock etc. Not to mention it's got all the usual gizmos, stop watch, world time etc. This one can even pinpoint your location on a map for later and find your lost phone if it's in Bluetooth range. It's incredible value for money.

Of course it's a very different experience from a mechanical and I'm in no way saying it's better, I assure you mechanicals get far more wrist time for me, but if you want an actual tool watch then it's a no-contest IMO.

This was a birthday or Christmas present around 1995.
    The plastic bezel eventually crumbled due to years of abuse.
    Now refurbished with a metal bezel from Ali-Express.

I would like to do a gold version sometime if I can get hold of a cheap donor watch.

This arrived last week and has been my daily since, it knocked the other G Shock I purchased last year off the "daily beater" shelf

Was never really into them until I saw a modded one on here and now own a few. The "pension plan" watches can rest in the safe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Nowhere near as accurate, no dual time / stopwatch / alarm / solar power etc. Of course you can have both! I don't have a Vostok, but I do have a number of inexpensive mechanical watches. It's all good.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    I've often fancied a G but always felt the money was better spent elsewhere.

I was working in Woking the other week and on my way back to my car, I dropped into Debenhams to see what was in their closing down sale. Sitting all lonely in a display cabinet amongst a load of Sekonda's was a lone 5610-1ER. Could't resist it at 50% discount.

I really like it. Very handy for setting the time on my other watches too!
    That's a great deal. Always wanted a G Shock too. My first proper watch was an F91 when I was about 8/9yrs old, gone to the landfill decades ago when the strap disintegrated. Loved that thing.

Earlier this year I picked in a GW50001JF and It's proved fantastic for hiking, woodwork, cooking, beach, working on the car etc.

Use it to set the time on my other watches too
    Last edited by davidlee89; 5th May 2021 at 11:09.

Master
    Some nice watches being shared.

For anyone buying the range I bought this YouTube video is a must! It shows how to use the watch very clearly.

https://youtu.be/b0onnuFe5Pc