closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BOXT Boilers - Anyone used them?

BOXT Boilers - Anyone used them?

We could do with a new combi boiler and the prices at BOXT seen very good indeed. Anyone used them?
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 5th May 2021 at 13:54.

Used them 3 times for rental properties. No complaints at all. Really, really impressed and would recommend them all day long. I believe WB own a stake of them now hence most of the boilers are supplied by them now.

That's great thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Used them 3 times for rental properties. No complaints at all. Really, really impressed and would recommend them all day long. I believe WB own a stake of them now hence most of the boilers are supplied by them now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A great reference tool when shopping round with a local firm.

The price from BOXT is so good I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle of getting local quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    A great reference tool when shopping round with a local firm.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The price from BOXT is so good I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle of getting local quotes.
    I did try and get a few quotes and local tradesman couldn't come close. Especially if you book the boiler repair in advance on Boxt you can choose a date in a week or two where its cheaper to install. Next day or next few days cost a bit more.

I think WB must supply the boilers to Boxt at a reduced rate than local fitters can source.

I think it may be.

I just checked out the BOXT site out of interest and their price is a bit more than my local bloke did mine for and I live in the South East.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Ah OK, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I think it may be.

I just checked out the BOXT site out of interest and their price is a bit more than my local bloke did mine for and I live in the South East.

To help understand the pricing, we bought a WB boiler outright when we did the house extension (plumber friend installed it), from memory it was around the £500 including vertical flue.

(edit) Just found the trail of e-mails, boiler was £550 and flue was extra, memory loss etc....(this was 2 years ago).
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 4th May 2021 at 14:42.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Interesting, thanks Chris. By comparison the BOXT quote is £1895 and British Gas is £2700 fitted and the BOXT one is a better boiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    To help understand the pricing, we bought a WB boiler outright when we did the house extension (plumber friend installed it), from memory it was around the £500 including vertical flue.

Interesting, thanks Chris. By comparison the BOXT quote is £1895 and British Gas is £2700 fitted and the BOXT one is a better boiler!
    British Gas are always way overpriced - not worth paying for IMO.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    British Gas are always way overpriced - not worth paying for IMO.

Craftsman
    Boxt tradesman will do the whole job in a day, regardless of the state of the system water.
    You cannot fit and commission a new boiler in a day if you do the job correctly and to Benchmark.
    I think Worcester own 49% or 51% of Boxt so they will be the boiler sold.

That's quite a statement. Are you saying BOXT installation will be sub-standard and unsafe? Seems a stretch to believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Boxt tradesman will do the whole job in a day, regardless of the state of the system water.
    You cannot fit and commission a new boiler in a day if you do the job correctly and to Benchmark.

Craftsman
    That's quite a statement. Are you saying BOXT installation will be sub-standard and unsafe? Seems a stretch to believe that.
    The Worcester engineers have found installations under warranty that have a lot of sludge in the systems due to not being flushed out properly.
    A friends boiler was installed by Boxt and when I changed a radiator not long after installation I found the water in the radiator to be black bright.
    I did the first service a few weeks ago and the filter contained an excessive amount of magnetic sludge.
    That is it's job I know however his system would've definitely benefited from a power flush or better cleaning of the system.

Excellent explanation, thanks a lot.

The Worcester engineers have found installations under warranty that have a lot of sludge in the systems due to not being flushed out properly.
    A friends boiler was installed by Boxt and when I changed a radiator not long after installation I found the water in the radiator to be black bright.
    I did the first service a few weeks ago and the filter contained an excessive amount of magnetic sludge.
    That is it's job I know however his system would've definitely benefited from a power flush or better cleaning of the system.

Do you know if Boxt has its own directly employed fitters or sub-contracts to local fitters?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Do you know if Boxt has its own directly employed fitters or sub-contracts to local fitters?

From what the last installer told me - sub contracted to local guys

Master
    A few friends have used them and have been great on price and service.

In an industry that normally struggles with customer service they must be doing something right.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/boxt.co.uk

Master
    I nearly went with Boxt recently but in the end gave the work to a local plumber. No particular reason other than loyalty and that Boxt just seemed too good to be true!

There is something about their model doesn’t make sense to me. WB boilers at cost or even slightly less, fine, but that still leaves local plumbers having to do installs for a lot less than they would do on the open market? And all within a day? It’s not like they a short of work - certainly where we are.

I was getting round to looking at TP so thanks for sharing. I must say that feedback and review score is incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    A few friends have used them and have been great on price and service.

In an industry that normally struggles with customer service they must be doing something right.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/boxt.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    I nearly went with Boxt recently but in the end gave the work to a local plumber. No particular reason other than loyalty and that Boxt just seemed too good to be true!

There is something about their model doesn’t make sense to me. WB boilers at cost or even slightly less, fine, but that still leaves local plumbers having to do installs for a lot less than they would do on the open market? And all within a day? It’s not like they a short of work - certainly where we are.
    I know of a couple of good local gas fitters, I spoke to one, told me boiler would be £x, but I would have to organise scaffolding for roof work (location of boiler, flue and type of property). Not sure I can be bothered with that, so am interested in Boxt as quote is for complete package.

My thoughts exactly. I'm busy and I'm WFH so as little hassle as possible wins the day.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I know of a couple of good local gas fitters, I spoke to one, told me boiler would be £x, but I would have to organise scaffolding for roof work (location of boiler, flue and type of property). Not sure I can be bothered with that, so am interested in Boxt as quote is for complete package.

Journeyman
    our combi was condemned last week. Checked boxt and quote was 2850 Quote from local plumber 1800

Blog Entries
    We had a Worcester Greenstar 18Ri ERP boiler fitted when our old one packed up. Done by a local plumber and including replacing some blocked pipes was £2600. Not unhappy with the price or service, plus he will service it each year so no British Gas shenanigans. We try to use local tradesmen when we can.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Right, quick update. For reference the BOXT was a 24kw boiler which I now understand isn't big enough for my house.

My daughter's friend's Dad happens to work for BAXI so I had a chat with him this morning. He's put me in touch with his most highly-regarded installer and a deal has been done!

He's doing the BAXI 830 30kw boiler (BAXI's flagship boiler apparently) with magnetic filter, full Hive system and a 10 year warranty. He's also coming out 1-2 weeks prior to the installation to chemically treat and power flush the system which I know is probably standard but BOXT weren't doing that. Cost is £1850 all in.

I'm happy with that.

Master
    Cost is £1850 all in
    Wow, sounds a right bargain!

Sounds pretty cheap!

It's roughly 50/50 parts and labour.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds pretty cheap!