closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Knife Sharpening help for a newbie

Craftsman

Knife Sharpening help for a newbie

So I thought with it being such a typical BH afternoon I would have a try at sharpening a kitchen knife using the whetstone I had bought several months ago. So I had a look online and thought I understood what needed to be done and off I went. After about 20 minutes with no success whatsoever I reverted to YouTube - the videos on there are impressive; 5 minutes with a whetstone and any old knife has an edge like a Samurai warrior's sword. The other thing I discovered is the apparent variety of different techniques - only apply pressure on the away stroke, only apply pressure on the pull stroke

I'm guessing that I haven't got a consistent angle as I can't seem to get the mythical burr that I can feel on the blade never mind get to the honing stage !! Alternatively am I trying to sharpen a knife that is just too blunt for my 1000/4000 whetstone.

Any advice appreciated from those with the gift much appreciated. I would add that I am left handed, which shouldn't make a difference other than slowing me down when watching videos as I have to mentally reverse everything

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Not sure where to start here ! It depends on the results you want to achieve - by hand it takes a lot of practise to get precision and most people resort to a jig !

Imagine cutting the stone when you sharpen it !

It may need a rougher grit if the edge is very dull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Once you have a burr I recommend removing it with a leather strop loaded with polishing compound !

https://youtu.be/HYcZVfxDieE

Master
    I am a complete novice on this subject, but I followed this video with our Global knives, and they are much sharper now.
    I used the guides that attach to the knives.

https://youtu.be/GewKOG53YJc

Pete

Blog Entries
    Lansky Sharpening System or Ruixin Pro system.

I’ve known people to spend many hours with various stones achieving a mediocre edge on knives. Fine if you want to achieve inner peace but a good sharpening system will usually bring better results.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 3rd May 2021 at 22:39.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

I’ve known people to spend many hours with various stones achieving a mediocre edge on knives. Fine if you want to achieve inner peace but a good sharpening system will usually bring better results.

As above. Simple, fast and effective. I use Lansky. My son's Leatherman . . .

Before

After

Kitchen knives

All shaving sharp.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    As above. Simple, fast and effective. I use Lansky. My son's Leatherman . . .

Before

After

Kitchen knives

All shaving sharp.
    Excellent results from the look of those.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

I don't know about inner peace. I was ready to launch my whetstone through the window !!

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input. I hadn't realised how reasonably priced the Lansky system was.

A couple of questions please:
    Which set is recommended - standard or deluxe. I'm only using standard Sabatier and equivalent type knives so haven't got anything fancy plus Swiss Army penknife etc you get the idea

I don't have a vice and not certain higher management would appreciate it clamped to the quartz worktop ! Could I get away with using either the clamp or the mount screwed to an offcut of kitchen worktop

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Thanks for the input. I hadn't realised how reasonably priced the Lansky system was.

Which set is recommended - standard or deluxe. I'm only using standard Sabatier and equivalent type knives so haven't got anything fancy plus Swiss Army penknife etc you get the idea

I don't have a vice and not certain higher management would appreciate it clamped to the quartz worktop ! Could I get away with using either the clamp or the mount screwed to an offcut of kitchen worktop

As a possible alternative, but a tad more expensive, take a look at the Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener. The price on Amazon has just gone through the roof but it is available elsewhere for around £55. It's a complete system that can live in a box and be set up anywhere there is a stable flat surface.

There are several instructional videos on YouTube from the maker: link.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    As a possible alternative, but a tad more expensive, take a look at the Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener. The price on Amazon has just gone through the roof but it is available elsewhere for around £55. It's a complete system that can live in a box and be set up anywhere there is a stable flat surface.

That looks like just the job and by the time I've added the holder to the Lansky it's not that much more expensive. I did a quick YouTube view and it seems highly rated as vfm for someone like me who just wants to sharpen the kitchen knives. Most of the videos are American and reading the comments ...wow will it sharpen Bowie knives, etc and big arguments developing over why you'll never beat a whetstone ! I'm assuming there's not the same knife culture in this country ..... or perhaps I just mix in the wrong circles

Lansky etc do work well but are a bit of a faff on. I picked up a Spyderco Sharpmaker a while back and it's very simple to get the hang of

Blog Entries
    I don't know about inner peace. I was ready to launch my whetstone through the window !!

Ha ha ha, more dedication required Grasshopper!

That looks like just the job and by the time I've added the holder to the Lansky it's not that much more expensive. I did a quick YouTube view and it seems highly rated as vfm for someone like me who just wants to sharpen the kitchen knives. Most of the videos are American and reading the comments ...wow will it sharpen Bowie knives, etc and big arguments developing over why you'll never beat a whetstone ! I'm assuming there's not the same knife culture in this country ..... or perhaps I just mix in the wrong circles

Never tried that one but it looks like it would do the job. It's all about keeping the angle exactly the same all the time. I like the LanSky or Ruixin pro because they're fairly simple and cheap enough to be replaceable. I always use the diamond stones/hones now as they last better and perform well.

It just depends on which one you think you can mount/use.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I use a whetstone to sharpen our kitchen knives. Not shaving sharp but sharp enough. It does take a bit of getting used to, the first time for half a dozen knives I was there for hours. But after a while you pick up the angles and I can now get the knives reasonably sharp in a few minutes per knife.

Craftsman
    Ha ha ha, more dedication required Grasshopper!

You are taking me back to my youth now

The De-Luxe. The range of stones allows you to bring a blade back from ruination, as per my lad's Leatherman above. As for using Lansky being a faff, I really can't imagine how, all you do is move the stone back and forth. You don't need a vice, just hold the base on to a worktop or table. I have the base screwed on to a square of scrap wood for added stability. I bought my Lansky from here, they often have special offers on.
    F.T.F.A.

DMT aligner kit for me.

I have stones and diamond stones but you need skill, hand eye co-ordination and some level of common sense and all around intelligence to use them well, something im a little short of ( i blame being born in Wales )

Craftsman
    I'd read an earlier thread on this topic and ended up thinking this is too much of a faff. I don't use particularly fancy knives - 90% of my usage is with a Procook Santoku knife and a Victorinox paring knife. I was recommended an AnySharp: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-Kn...001DXVL6K?th=1

I'm sure the knife pros on here will point out its many flaws but 60 seconds with it every month or two and the knives are more than sharp enough for me - in fact I have to be careful not to sharpen them too much. Takes pretty much no skill. At £8, the price was great as well. I'm told it's not appropriate for Global brand knives, that it can only do one angle and that some people think it takes too much metal off the knife. I've used it for 3 years and love it.

Edit - Idiotically, I managed to post this reply on the original thread I looked at :( Now edited.

Master

Knife Sharpening help for a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    I'd read an earlier thread on this topic and ended up thinking this is too much of a faff. I don't use particularly fancy knives - 90% of my usage is with a Procook Santoku knife and a Victorinox paring knife. I was recommended an AnySharp: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-Kn...001DXVL6K?th=1

I'm sure the knife pros on here will point out its many flaws but 60 seconds with it every month or two and the knives are more than sharp enough for me - in fact I have to be careful not to sharpen them too much. Takes pretty much no skill. At £8, the price was great as well. I'm told it's not appropriate for Global brand knives, that it can only do one angle and that some people think it takes too much metal off the knife. I've used it for 3 years and love it.

Edit - Idiotically, I managed to post this reply on the original thread I looked at :( Now edited.
    Lol, now a link that doesn’t work...must try harder!

But just looked at the sharpener, hmmm not for me I’m afraid, reminds me of the metal washer type of thing my parents used to use!

It comes from the USA and so takes a week or more, but Amazon take care of the import taxes. The good news is that the price is now down to £40 owing to currency exchange rate changes: www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-Precision-Adjust-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B08L72P245.

Tried a recomended pull through sharpener with little success:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Minosharp-P...3248320&sr=8-2

Upgraded to a recomended Spyderco system with some success (but i could never match the magic that they show in the videos):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spyderco-Sh...s%2C151&sr=8-1

I then looked at the electric Chef's Choice electric sharpeners but the range was bewildering, expensive, and not clear if you will get a 240v version.
    In the end i used man logic during covid lockdown to justify a Ken Onion Work Sharp electric sharpener from this lot:
    https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/...on-uk-plug.htm

Finally achieved ultimate sharpness!

ps: don't get too carried away with the coarse bands as they will wear away your blades before you know it
    pps: I have Wusthoff knives with a 15 degree angle.

Swiss Tony

Master
    It comes from the USA and so takes a week or more, but Amazon take care of the import taxes. The good news is that the price is now down to £40 owing to currency exchange rate changes: www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-Precision-Adjust-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B08L72P245.
    Is it an issue that you can only get two grades of stone for this sharpener - 320 & 600 grit? It seems much more limited than something like the Lansky but is it a problem in reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Is it an issue that you can only get two grades of stone for this sharpener - 320 & 600 grit? It seems much more limited than something like the Lansky but is it a problem in reality?
    I've not found it an issue but there are three stones included in the kit. The 320 is coarse enough to prepare the edge if it needs it to get it even or to work on nicks etc. Then the 600 produces a reasonable edge. Following up with the ceramic stone refines the edge.

Then I use a leather strop, eg:

The strop is my first recourse to touch up a blade once it's been used.

I've looked at getting a spare slider (3D printed versions are on eBay in the US) in order to use fine lapping paper for an ultimate finish, but the I cannot justify the cost (mainly shipping) at present.

Master
    I have the 650 grit one of these:

https://www.edgeproinc.com/sharpenin...ng-stones-c11/

Fantastic stone. I used it with some trailing strokes, to finish off the sharpening on my primary kitchen knife at the end of December last year. I had one of the boys around from work on Friday, showing him how to sharpen, using one of his shitter knives and then a "proper" one.

When he left, I gave mine 4 trailing stokes and raised a burr. Turned it over, 4 strokes raised a burr on the other side. Hadn't been touched since December.

Rob.