closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squale Love

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    Here are my two, I have a want to buy up for a Drass Galeazzi and also on the Squale list for the next tranche (whichever come first)
    Love that Sub 39 :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Subino?
    Indeed,the Subino

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Indeed,the Subino
    Congratulations, maybe rarer than 'hens teeth'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

HS Johnson seem to have something in stock that I'm not sure they realise how rare it is. The Squale Sub39 Abisso 2 is a collaboration between Bludimelo and Squale and is limited to 50 pieces. I just bought one with a 20% off code HS Johnson sent me - I can't find another for sale anywhere in the world apart from a used on on Chrono24 in Italy.

Can you share the code or was it unique?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    Can you share the code or was it unique?
    It was for subscribers so I doubt unique. You'll need to subscribe to use it and the code is FSS56EFA

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The Squale Sub39 Abisso 2 is a collaboration between Bludimelo and Squale
    I was signed up to the Bludimelo group on telegram, I decided against in the end but pretty sure it was only about 800eur so the HS price could be inflated some what to allow for the 20%

Still a cracking watch mind...

Craftsman
    I think HS Johnson had five of the fifty pieces, not sure how they got so many, as they are indeed otherwise sold out. I got mine a few weeks ago with slightly less discount but am very happy with it. It is pretty much impossible to show the texture of the dial in photo's but it a lovely thing....... unfortunately my photo has a toast crumb at around the 4 O'Clock marker if you look carefully!!!! They also released 40 pieces with a light blue dial before this run and I've not yet seen any of them for sale on the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    I think HS Johnson had five of the fifty pieces, not sure how they got so many, as they are indeed otherwise sold out. I got mine a few weeks ago with slightly less discount but am very happy with it. It is pretty much impossible to show the texture of the dial in photo's but it a lovely thing....... unfortunately my photo has a toast crumb at around the 4 O'Clock marker if you look carefully!!!! They also released 40 pieces with a light blue dial before this run and I've not yet seen any of them for sale on the secondary market.
    Wow that looks awesome. The 12 o clock bezel marker seems more orange in your pic than the render on H S Johnson's site.

I think also an Erikas Original would suit that to a tee. Can't wait for mine. I also put a heads up on an Italian watch forum as there is demand in Italy for these and I can only think H S Johnson clients have no idea what this is as Signore Melo is a big cheese in Italy for his designs.

Apart from the Squales here are some of the other Italy Market collaborations he has released;
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th November 2021 at 20:51.

Craftsman
    Wow that looks awesome. The 12 o clock bezel marker seems more orange in your pic than the render on H S Johnson's site.

I think also an Erikas Original would suit that to a tee. Can't wait for mine. I also put a heads up on an Italian watch forum as there is demand in Italy for these and I can only think H S Johnson clients have no idea what this is as Signore Melo is a big cheese in Italy for his designs.

Apart from the Squales here are some of the other Italy Market collaborations he has released
    Yes the bezel marker is a little darker than the hands but it's more a dark brown than the orange it appears in the picture. It looks like the same insert as is on the other Sub39 divers, which also have the difference in colour which I quite like. I agree it would look great on an Erika's, I still have mine on the original strap as it is super comfortable once worn a few times, the only Squale that I've kept on the OEM to date.

As you have said I'm not sure HS Johnson realise what they have, the photo's don't do the watch justice and their description doesn't mention it being limited to 50 pieces. I did wonder if in fact it was a follow-up unlimited release. It most certainly isn't though, as mine in No41. Post pics when yours arrives :)

Cracking watches and I do get the odd compliment when other people notice it. Also have a GMT Ceramica but this Coke GMT has my attention at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes the bezel marker is a little darker than the hands but it's more a dark brown than the orange it appears in the picture. It looks like the same insert as is on the other Sub39 divers, which also have the difference in colour which I quite like. I agree it would look great on an Erika's, I still have mine on the original strap as it is super comfortable once worn a few times, the only Squale that I've kept on the OEM to date.

As you have said I'm not sure HS Johnson realise what they have, the photo's don't do the watch justice and their description doesn't mention it being limited to 50 pieces. I did wonder if in fact it was a follow-up unlimited release. It most certainly isn't though, as mine in No41. Post pics when yours arrives :)
    Arrived today. Not the best pic but what a belting watch. The red isn't as pronounced in the metal.

Well worth the money. BTW the strap says microfiber- would this be waterproof? Super comfy strap but I'd want this watch on pool and beach duty

Mine arrived this morning and is going back. Bezel doesn't line up properly and is far too loose. As it's bi-directional (why?) I'm sure it'll move around.

Shame but my second Squale in a row that's gone back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    Cracking watches and I do get the odd compliment when other people notice it. Also have a GMT Ceramica but this Coke GMT has my attention at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Mine arrived this morning and is going back. Bezel doesn't line up properly and is far too loose. As it's bi-directional (why?) I'm sure it'll move around.

Shame but my second Squale in a row that's gone back.
    Which model did you order?

Same issue with a misaligned bezel on my GMT Ceramica. It was mentioned during the sale (eBay) so I'm happy to live with it. But if I'd purchased new I'd be sending it back.

My Coke GMT is spot on however and the bezel isn't bidirectional. You must have a Friday afternoon watch.

Craftsman
    Arrived today. Not the best pic but what a belting watch. The red isn't as pronounced in the metal.

Well worth the money. BTW the strap says microfiber- would this be waterproof? Super comfy strap but I'd want this watch on pool and beach duty
    Looks great. Yes the strap is waterproof, been wearing mine and regularly cleaning under a tap, not swimmed with it yet. The water just staying on the surface of the strap and wipes dry.

Craftsman
    So I think I have found an image of the as yet unreleased (and unannounced) Squale X AWCo 3rd limited edition.

I was checking out the SUB3920 limited editions on whatawatch.es and spotted they've used the below image as 'inspiration'
    At first glance I thought it was the no radiobino AWCo LE but this model has a moisture indicator and appears to be 'Milbino'

AWCo have 180 cases but only released 120 watches to begin with (No Radiobino and Subino) - could this be the next one???

https://whatawatch.es/squale-subino-corso-italiano-01

To further back up my hunch, as far as I know, the Squale brand wasn't used on these cases originally (it was Blancpain and Waltham) and googling the reference Milbino comes up with absolutely no results.

Whatever the story behind it, I'm waiting for the next drop of AWCo Squales as I need one!

Has anyone tried the Squale Montauk?
    I assume they're only available from Long Island watches.

Craftsman
    Has anyone tried the Squale Montauk?
    I assume they're only available from Long Island watches.
    I've not tried one but yes you are correct they were specially made for Marc at Long Island Watches...... looks like just three colours left now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex89 View Post
    So I think I have found an image of the as yet unreleased (and unannounced) Squale X AWCo 3rd limited edition.

I was checking out the SUB3920 limited editions on whatawatch.es and spotted they've used the below image as 'inspiration'
    At first glance I thought it was the no radiobino AWCo LE but this model has a moisture indicator and appears to be 'Milbino'

AWCo have 180 cases but only released 120 watches to begin with (No Radiobino and Subino) - could this be the next one???

To further back up my hunch, as far as I know, the Squale brand wasn't used on these cases originally (it was Blancpain and Waltham) and googling the reference Milbino comes up with absolutely no results.

Whatever the story behind it, I'm waiting for the next drop of AWCo Squales as I need one!
    Looking at the photo's the back of the case shows 20 Atmos same as the AWCo editions which perhaps supports this. I hope you are right that would be awesome.

I've not tried one but yes you are correct they were specially made for Marc at Long Island Watches...... looks like just three colours left now.
    Quite fancy the blue one as 38mm is a nice size.

Craftsman
    Quite fancy the blue one as 38mm is a nice size.
    Yes I agree, I went with the Sub 39 but the bezel overhangs the case 1mm each side, so wears more like a 41mm. The Montauk looks more like a true 38mm.

Master

Blog Entries
    @quietly - love a Squale Bund!

@vortex89 - and an Awco LE! Excited to hear your hunch, must get on the mailing list as I'd be very tempted by one of those and we know they'll sell out in seconds.

I was lucky enough to grab one of these Awco Bund C3 editions when it popped up on by ebay feed recently:

Rob

Craftsman
    Thought I'd revive this thread to show Squale's new release the Marine Militare. Here is the link to Fratello but there are several articles. I know Squale aren't a forum favourite but for those who do like the brand this ticks all the boxes for me and with a depth rating of 1,200m it should be invaluable when I'm washing up.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/intr...ian-navy/#gref

Was not happy when the email came through to confirm release. Had planned no more incomings this year........

Chunky but intrigued me enough to order one with the brushed case and drilled lugs. Had always fancied a vintage offering but seldom see them for sale without the big price tag.

Suspect it will sell out given the Drass Galeazzi sold 500 units vs the 300 offered here. Worried it will be too thick but the 1521 is my favourite case. We will see I guess.

This does tickle my fancy. Blancpain Bund-ish but modern without the big price tag.
    The hands do not look quite right to e though, a little too fat for my liking.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th June 2022 at 08:58.

My Drass Galeazzi is an absolute favorite, I'm not feeling so attracted to the Marine Militare...

Craftsman
    It seems to be very similar to the Drass Galeazzi dimensions wise, 1mm thicker at 17mm, so will hopefully wear the same. The differences of polished v brushed case and old vintage aesthetics v clean white plots on a sandwich dial, 15/30/45 marker insert v bund style meant that having both seemed entirely rationale to me.......... and so I ordered as well, just couldn't help it despite really trying not to buy anymore.

Did anyone buy a 'Corso Italiano'?

Last edited by number2; 25th June 2022 at 12:49.

Craftsman
    It seems to be very similar to the Drass Galeazzi dimensions wise, 1mm thicker at 17mm, so will hopefully wear the same. The differences of polished v brushed case and old vintage aesthetics v clean white plots on a sandwich dial, 15/30/45 marker insert v bund style meant that having both seemed entirely rationale to me.......... and so I ordered as well, just couldn't help it despite really trying not to buy anymore.
    I've just taken delivery of this, not the best photo's. Looks like the case is the same or very very similar to the Galeazzi, although it's difficult to compare side by side with this being a brushed case and the other being polished. I think from the specs it is 1mm thicker, possible due to the case back. Of course the Galeazzi is 500m and the Marina Militare 1200m, so not sure where the differences are to achieve the significantly greater depth rating. I've not managed to capture the sandwich dial which is lovely.

Looks good, Steve. Noted they are sold out now on Squales site.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Looks good, Steve. Noted they are sold out now on Squales site.
    Yes Squale and most AD's are sold out but Gnomon still has some in stock.

Not sure if posted before...

https://www.squale.ch/en/history-of-squale

Master
    Blog Entries
    I hope to receive my first Squale tommorow,it will also be the first time ive seen one in real life.

It would be nice to see more of the watches on this thread.

Craftsman
    Congratulations and make sure you post a picture when the new Squale arrives. Squale is not a particularly popular brand on the forum but there is a small group of fans including those who have contributed to this thread. In terms of posting pictures here are mine, I have a few!

Master
    Blog Entries
    A few you say?

Those blues really do stand out but that Subino on the brown strap is pure class,thanks for posting.

I have checked tracking 5 times this morning it says its out for delivery,I cant wait.

Great thread and pics folks. I’ve owned a few and am a fan of the designs but things like bezel alignment and timekeeping can be a bit hit and miss.

Craftsman
    Great thread and pics folks. I’ve owned a few and am a fan of the designs but things like bezel alignment and timekeeping can be a bit hit and miss.
    Funny you say that about timekeeping. Quite a few people say how well regulated Squale's are but I've never found that, with mine usually being in the +10 to +15 secs range. I had my Subino regulated locally and it runs at +1 sec, so they can run with good precision.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It has arrived.

Positives abound

No date
    case finish
    Absolutely clear and easy to read dial
    No glint/shine in the sun
    Lume
    Red minute hand
    Size
    Everything is aligned
    Bezel style/action

A 2 piece strap gets the best from the case design and almost wraps around the wrist (reminds me a bit of the PRS18Q)

The bracelet I dont wear them, but this one seems to form around the wrist (I draped it over) it feels very high quality and comfortable to me.

Dial is black not blue.

Craftsman
    Very very nice, the Militaire is a great option and the blasted case finish is perfect for this model. Looks like a great first Squale, enjoy owning it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you,I will I am sure.

Squale Love

I like the word Squale.

I like the bent shark too.

Not sure on saying your brand name more than once on the dial though. Bit needy.

Seems to have stopped now, based on those last photos - which look very nice.

I think they are going a bit mental on price (new) at the moment, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I like the word Squale.

I like the bent shark too.

Not sure on saying your brand name more than once on the dial though. Bit needy.

Seems to have stopped now, based on those last photos - which look very nice.

I think they are going a bit mental on price (new) at the moment, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is the reason or so I read.

The story starts in 1946 when jet-set entrepreneur Charles von Buren (you can still spot the ‘Von B’ icon in Squale’s logo) saw potential in the fast growing world of leisure and professional diving. In those days, it was uncommon for watch brands to produce watches from start to finish, so Von Buren decided to focus on watch cases for dive watches.

His cases were famously used by brands such as Heuer and Doxa. But perhaps the most iconic watch to feature a Squale case was the Bund Fifty Fathoms, a Mil-spec dive watch by Blancpain. Look closely, you will see that its case is nearly identical to the modern-day Squale ref. 1521, commonly referred to as the 50 Atmos.

"It was common practice to mention the case maker on the dial. So a Spirotechnique dive watch might have its own logo at twelve o’clock and a Squale logo at six o’clock. Squale lovingly pays tribute to its roots by featuring double logos on its current day watches. This time around, it is both Squale as the case maker and Squale as the watch brand".

Master
    Blog Entries
    Last night,such a clear dial it only looks blue in some photographs.

I think you made an excellent choice with that one. I’ve looked at those loads of times but never got round to purchasing. Looks amazing 😻

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think you made an excellent choice with that one. I’ve looked at those loads of times but never got round to purchasing. Looks amazing 
    Thank you.

I seems earlier versions had Squale on the side of the case,a 60 click bezel and an ETA movement.

Non of that really bothers me,though I think I prefer it without the extra case branding its not a game changer either way.

Craftsman
    I do like the 'Militaire" version. What are the small screws on the side of the coin edge bezel for? Functional or decorative?

Functional to remove the bezel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I do like the 'Militaire" version. What are the small screws on the side of the coin edge bezel for? Functional or decorative?