closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squale Love

Squale Love

Haven't worn this one for a while. Squale collaboration with defunct reatailer Page & Cooper.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Nice, really like the case shape and the dial is nice and visible, can I ask the case size please.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Nice, really like the case shape and the dial is nice and visible, can I ask the case size please.
    case size 39mm, lug to lug 48mm, thickness 13.5mm

Lovely watch. I’ve often considered picking up a squale.

They seem to be fairly polarising watches with equal number of fans and detractors. Also, when I’ve looked at used examples, the bezel inserts often look very scratched and tatty. I don’t know if this is because they’re often used as beaters or the production process is wanting.

Would love to try one on some day to form a proper opinion.

I really like the older Squale models, and prices are pretty soft right now so it’s possible to get originals for less than a lot of the modern models. I’ve only got a big-block quartz at the moment but I’d happily buy a second.

Finally a thread where we can post pics of our Squale's......My one & only Squale, but a lot of watch for the money.
    Last edited by 97BlackC5; 9th September 2021 at 14:25.

Craftsman
    I think they are really under-appreciated watches, the collaboration they did with AWCo was stunning and I'm gutted I missed out.
    There is going to be another drop at some point so I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

I actually have a Squale Fumoso for sale at the moment, if anyone is interested go check out sales corner.

I own this one. Great watch

Dial changes from blue to purple depending on the light

Squale Onda

2021-01-22_09-24-49 by mcridland, on Flickr

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by vortex89 View Post
    I think they are really under-appreciated watches, the collaboration they did with AWCo was stunning and I'm gutted I missed out.
    There is going to be another drop at some point so I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

I actually have a Squale Fumoso for sale at the moment, if anyone is interested go check out sales corner.
    It's a lovely looking watch, very tempting.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Only got the one, 'Root Beer' homage. Nice watch with a great dial but is in need of a good service. :(

Master
    I’ve always liked Squales but there doesn’t seem as much love as some brands.

I was after a full lume last year before I was lucky enough to pick up a Kemmner off here and really fancied this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post

I was after a full lume last year before I was lucky enough to pick up a Kemmner off here and really fancied this:

That would be my choice too.

Journeyman
    Ive been looking to buy a Squale for a while no, just haven't seen the right one yet.

Vintage would be good

Master
    Blog Entries

Just picked this off SC (thanks Ben!). I love the dial, what a great watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So tempted by one of these, doesn’t seem to be a lot of vintage ones around though?

The Mrs has just chucked this at me
    “Set it for me please”

I bought it from here, modded the hands and bezel (put a blue OEM bezel on it) but never had a chance to wear it. She nicked it as soon as I had completed it.
    A couple of weeks later she said “put the green thing back on please I don’t like the blue”

She wore it for a few weeks, smashed the bu99ery out of it and then chucked it in a drawer.

She dragged it out today as all her other watches (apple watch included) have flat batteries. (That’s a job for when I am on leave next week apparently)

I can only just get it over my hand and wrist using the divers extension as the bracelet is sized for her.

I forgot what a nicely made watch this is
    There is not much difference in quality to an earlier Rolex especially in the case and bracelet. The bezel, insert and action are agricultural though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegobetween View Post
    So tempted by one of these, doesn’t seem to be a lot of vintage ones around though?
    I had dozen. One, super Squale 600 got lost in mail to Izrael.

This one is current.

Vintage ones, in all variations, including medium Squale at 35 mm, Super Squale 20 atmos, quartz 1521 (I think I sold one on forum here) and heavvy duty Super Squale 600 and dual crown are even today supremely engineered pieces. These were designed for one purpose - diving. Great watches.
    Last edited by sinner77; 3rd July 2021 at 13:26.

Master
    Managed to find one of the Squale/Amsterdam watch co with the Blancpain case.A lovely thing.

Craftsman
    That Squale/Amsterdam WC is very special indeed.

I was fortunate to find a Galeazzi last week at Watchgecko. A bit of a tall boy at 16mm but with a shortish lug-to-lug, very comfortable to wear.

Craftsman
    I am listing after the new militaire collection and this thread is not helping me. Image from the web: https://images.app.goo.gl/NGBsHVppXmaFdyBf9

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    That Squale/Amsterdam WC is very special indeed.

I was fortunate to find a Galeazzi last week at Watchgecko. A bit of a tall boy at 16mm but with a shortish lug-to-lug, very comfortable to wear.

I sent mine back to Jura. Supposedly hard to find yet when I listed it BNIB at below RRP on SC nobody so much as farted

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I sent mine back to Jura. Supposedly hard to find yet when I listed it BNIB at below RRP on SC nobody so much as farted

Just didn't have the money at the time

Craftsman

That did make me laugh, I would have farted very loudly had I seen it on SC!

I've long ago got over the draw of limited edition watches, as there is always another, the Galeazzi just ticks a lot of boxes for me...........

I like the Galeazzi - did buy one here recently (I forgot from who) but I find myself not wearing it at all. Not sure why. Might see if anyone wants to fart!

I have had some of the sub-a-like versions years ago and always through they made cool beaters, and there is something I love about the shark image on the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I like the Galeazzi - did buy one here recently (I forgot from who) but I find myself not wearing it at all. Not sure why. Might see if anyone wants to fart!

I have had some of the sub-a-like versions years ago and always through they made cool beaters, and there is something I love about the shark image on the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Another here who may be tempted to fart, so to speak! The only thing that puts me off is the quite considerable growth in height compared to the standard models. I can see that upsetting the comfort of the case, which most reviews for Squale 1521 watches focus on.

Oddly it's the heft of the Squale Drass which is so reminiscent of 60's dive watches that sold it to me,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Oddly it's the heft of the Squale Drass which is so reminiscent of 60's dive watches that sold it to me,
    I've been trying without fail to find specs for the 1521 case when it was first introduced. Was it taller? I still love the look of the Drass, it's just some of the side profile shots (with the He valve) do seem a bit slabby. But this is photos, which can lie!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    I've been trying without fail to find specs for the 1521 case when it was first introduced. Was it taller? I still love the look of the Drass, it's just some of the side profile shots (with the He valve) do seem a bit slabby. But this is photos, which can lie!

I took a photo of mine side on yesterday, even this doesn't really show just how much the lugs curve down from the case and take away any slaby appearance. For me it doesn't have the slab sidedness of a Black Bay nor does it look anywhere near as tall as a Deepsea ( I know a Deapsea is taller at 17.7mm compared to 15.5mm for the Squale) I think the fairly short lug-to-lug helps make this well balanced on the wrist.

Craftsman
    I took a photo of mine side on yesterday, even this doesn't really show just how much the lugs curve down from the case and take away any slaby appearance. For me it doesn't have the slab sidedness of a Black Bay nor does it look anywhere near as tall as a Deepsea ( I know a Deapsea is taller at 17.7mm compared to 15.5mm for the Squale) I think the fairly short lug-to-lug helps make this well balanced on the wrist.

Thanks, that doesn't look too slaby at all. That downward curve on the lugs is what's really appealing to me about the 1521 cases.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post

Yes, the blancpain variant cases were taller with more meat around the lugs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Yes, the blancpain variant cases were taller with more meat around the lugs

Ahh thanks. That's interesting.

Craftsman
    For anyone interested, it looks like Squale have only released part of the 500 pieces. My brother has just ordered one from Guru for late July and they are showing as having one more available..... Squale's website states "Second Drop Completed. Final Drop Coming Soon". I recall there being something about three batches of 150 - 150 - 200, so looks like another 200 will be released.

Craftsman
    For anyone interested, it looks like Squale have only released part of the 500 pieces. My brother has just ordered one from Guru for late July and they are showing as having one more available..... Squale's website states "Second Drop Completed. Final Drop Coming Soon". I recall there being something about three batches of 150 - 150 - 200, so looks like another 200 will be released.
    And the one on Guru has gone.

1 more will be available at Jura as I returned mine

Craftsman
    1 more will be available at Jura as I returned mine

I have looked a few times but it never showed up. Maybe they had a waiting list....

Craftsman
    For some reason I always had in my head that Squale were a relatively new ‘micro brand’ but looking though this thread and seeing all the talk of vintage made me do some digging. I had no idea the brand were 60 years old!!

Every day is a school day they say!

I'd have bought one ages ago had it not had the orange markers. I don't know whether I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    For some reason I always had in my head that Squale were a relatively new ‘micro brand’ but looking though this thread and seeing all the talk of vintage made me do some digging. I had no idea the brand were 60 years old!!

Every day is a school day they say!
    Snap!
    For reasons unknown until last year I'd always thought of Squale as a "mic-brand", with knowledge comes expense, in the shape of a "Drass Galeazzi",

Craftsman
    Reviving this thread, as I have added this 1521. It's a shame the brand is a bit like Marmite but I happen to like both.

Master
    Reviving this thread, as I have added this 1521. It's a shame the brand is a bit like Marmite but I happen to like both.

Looks really nice

Master
    Blog Entries

That looks lovely. They do blue dials so well. My Squale is one of my favourite watches in my collection.

What model is that?

As someone who's been a recreational diver for some years I'm a recent convert to Squale, their history makes ownership almost a "right of passage" for a diver, and ownership feels quite exclusive...
    Last edited by number2; 18th August 2021 at 00:17.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    As someone who's been a recreational diver for some years I'm a recent convert to Squale, their history makes ownership almost a "right of passage" for a diver, and ownership feels quite exclusive...
    Yes I have to agree..........although in my case from the perspective of a less knowledgeable desk diver.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    What model is that?
    It is apparently a pre-production/prototype 1521 model, a few of which were found when they were clearing out the Milan office. I'm trying to find out more from Squale but it came from a Squale AD with full warranty etc.

I’ve got a bit of a thing for the vintage 100 Atmos cases. Here’s an 80s quartz and a distant relative. Have another incoming too which I’m pretty excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    I’ve got a bit of a thing for the vintage 100 Atmos cases. Here’s an 80s quartz and a distant relative. Have another incoming too which I’m pretty excited about.

It’s not really a distant relative though.
    One of those is right up there in my want to buy list. I take it you are looking for a bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s not really a distant relative though.
    One of those is right up there in my want to buy list. I take it you are looking for a bezel?
    I think it’s pretty fair to call it a distant relative. Yes I’ve been looking for a bezel assembly for years but decided to settle for a correct bezel and I’ve got a guy lined up to do the insert. The bund markings on the back are virtually gone so it’s never going to be perfect example, so I’ll settle for the repro insert.

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    I think it’s pretty fair to call it a distant relative. Yes I’ve been looking for a bezel assembly for years but decided to settle for a correct bezel and I’ve got a guy lined up to do the insert. The bund markings on the back are virtually gone so it’s never going to be perfect example, so I’ll settle for the repro insert.
    It’s a lesser know connection between Blancpain and Squale, it shows you how good the cases are.

I am looking for an insert for a Norwegian issue ScubaPro 500, so would be interested in knowing who you will use if you are willing to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s a lesser know connection between Blancpain and Squale, it shows you how good the cases are.

I am looking for an insert for a Norwegian issue ScubaPro 500, so would be interested in knowing who you will use if you are willing to share?
    PM sent