closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New hip anyone?

Master
    One thing to be aware of in total hip replacements and I don't think it has been mentioned so far, is the risk of Leg Length Discrepancy..

It is one of the stated risks on the consent form that you sign before the operation..

I have had 2 hip operations in 3 years on the same leg/hip.. 1st op was for a fractured acetabulum where I had an 'orif' procedure done; open reduction with internal fixation.. Basically a titanium plate put in with screws to secure a piece of the acetabulum that had been broken by the force of my rtc..
    Recuperating from this op was v hard - could not put my leg on the floor for 5 weeks really, then a max of 7kg weight on it for 3 months I think before fully weight bearing.
    After nearly a year where walking was still awkward it was determined that I would need a total hip replacement, which I had on 29/01/20..

Luckily this went well and I was discharged the next day after the operation. I was at home 24 hours when I realised that my undamaged leg was straight yet my damaged leg had a slight bend to it. Then it came back to me about the consent form, stated risks etc.. I never thought I would actually end up with a LLD .. I was pretty fed up for the whole week end till I realised that the main thing is I had a stable and pain free hip joint.
    I ended up with the operated leg being approx. (not been properly measured so far), 9 - 12mm longer than the other leg. I wear an insert in the other shoe to even things up as I found it odd walking, as if I had one shoe on and the other off. Many (un-operated),people are walking around with a LLD without realising but if you never had one before it is quite obvious..

Good thing is now I'm back on my push bike, my leg strength has gone up massively although the muscles on the affected leg still look a bit skinnier than the other leg.

The surgeons make every effort to make the replacement hip the same length as the other leg/hip - but the risk of a LLD is increased I think if you have been walking around on a damaged hip for a long time. A colleagues MIL ended up with one leg 2 inches shorter than the other as her hip was very badly worn.

good luck OP but it's a great operation if all successful and the recovery is literally a walk in the park compared to the first procedure that I had..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Good evening all.
    Had a visit to the physio at the GP today as i’ve been in pretty excruciating pain for months now with sciatica and a dodgy hip. I’ve previously had a telephone consultation with a GP and have had to wait weeks for the visit. We went through a few very light stretches and explained what the issues were, namely the inability to walk for more than 5 minutes without feeling my hip/leg/knee were about to implode, along with what’s been like a permanent groin strain for a number of years. I have to say the though that the ‘gentle’ exercises, prodding and pulling have left me eating the Gabapentin like sweets today. It’s been a relief that masks have to to be worn as most days i’m sure my grimace would frighten horses.
    Anyway, he’s referred me to the hospital on Friday for a scan as he feels it’s almost certainly the hip that’s the issue, sciatica playing a small part.

I’m the same age as you Spuds, only slightly over weigh and can manage the gym ok as long as i do no impact exercises. I used to run, play badminton, have walks in the country and anything in between, things that have been chopped one by one.
    If there’s an operation necessary it will be done on the NHS.
    Would anyone have an idea about the likely wait i’ll have and of my relatively young age will have any bearing on this?

Good luck to all those going through the process and thanks for posts.

Regards, and thanks in advance for reading the somewhat long-winded post.

Davidd
    Mine was private but chatting to the surgeon he said I'll gladly do your other one on the NHS when required but there's currently an 18 month waiting list that he expects to increase further.

That's Herts and Essex area

Sent from my SM-N975F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Noaksey View Post
    Mine was private but chatting to the surgeon he said I'll gladly do your other one on the NHS when required but there's currently an 18 month waiting list that he expects to increase further.

That's Herts and Essex area

Sent from my SM-N975F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’m fearing the worst as we’ve a shockingly large backlog in the Greater Manchester area. I’ll find out soon enough. One of my greatest worries is having to neck so many painkillers for so long. I’m on the maximum now and the idea of having to keep it up is giving me huge anxiety problems.

Update for me:- Ian Carluke has booked me in for 23/7/2021 at Wansbeck Hospital for my left hip, bone on bone wear. Now the right hip has started too.
    Good luck to all those facing it. In terms of leg length issues, another possible problem can be drop foot. This has just happened to a friend of ours.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    I’m fearing the worst as we’ve a shockingly large backlog in the Greater Manchester area. I’ll find out soon enough. One of my greatest worries is having to neck so many painkillers for so long. I’m on the maximum now and the idea of having to keep it up is giving me huge anxiety problems.
    I was on codeine for 6 months and now tramadol for over 12months Not Good.

Smile

I had both knees replaced, Left one in 2015, Gives gyp occasionally now so I think it's wearing out!, Had the right one done in 2019, A week after returning to work, I went over on my left ankle on a hole in the concrete and landed fully on my new one, I damaged it in some way as I get pain quite often from it!

My right hip is now giving me problems and is becomming very stiff!

John

Just met my consultant today, mentioned this thread and showed him Phil Lee’s comment, he was delighted as he says the Exeter Hip stem is the best and that’s what he’s giving me along with a plastic lined cup, the best hip, both cemented in. If I was a morning op I would be home that evening. As I’m an afternoon op it will be the morning. He seems like a nice chap. Fingers Crossed ??
    He also said the aim to make the operated leg longer rather than shorter as that helps keep the hip from dislocation.
    GooD Luck OP

About 30 days after my right hip replacement I was walking 5 miles per day with maybe just a slight limp during the last mile.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    About 30 days after my right hip replacement I was walking 5 miles per day with maybe just a slight limp during the last mile.
    Fantastic and so encouraging thanks for sharing

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Jim, David I hope your wife and Mum’s op’s go ok, please do keep us posted.

Fingers crossed for you Mick and Davidd ‘I feel your pain’ I really do, the ‘permanent groin strain’ literally being a fair description of my last four or five years!
    It was actually that permanent feeling of a pulled groin that originally prompted my first visit to the doc’s over three years ago and that’s when I found out I had arthritis, I’d never even considered it until then!

Re: NHS waiting times I think it’s very much area-dependent, I read online somewhere that since Covid hip/knee replacements are now very much down the line and can be three to five years now but on a personal level here in Essex I was told at least eighteen months, maybe two years or so.

I do hope you get yours sooner mate....
    Hi spuds et al

Wife got both knees done at same time 3weeks ago and is well into recovery phase.

Good days and not so good days.

Lot of pain, no pain. She complains more of a tightness in her knees areas which is her concern.

Into the physio. 3rd session now so fingers crossed!!

Jim

Blimey that IS encouraging, I can't remember the last time I walked five kilometres pain free!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Hi spuds et al

Wife got both knees done at same time 3weeks ago and is well into recovery phase.

Good days and not so good days.

Lot of pain, no pain. She complains more of a tightness in her knees areas which is her concern.

Into the physio. 3rd session now so fingers crossed!!

Jim
    Hope the bad days get further and further part for your wife mate....

As an aside my physio/PT guy strongly advised me to watch a video of the operation so I understood the exercises, procedure, recovery-plan etc better.

I wish I hadn't.

Blimey that IS encouraging, I can't remember the last time I walked five kilometres pain free!!!!

Hope the bad days get further and further part for your wife mate....

As an aside my physio/PT guy strongly advised me to watch a video of the operation so I understood the exercises, procedure, recovery-plan etc better.

I wish I hadn't.
    It’s grim to say the least.
    As a result I’ve got an old iTouch 2 loaded with chill out music headphones
    And going to walk on cool wet grass feeling my toes in the grass. (In my mind that is)
    Trying not to listen or smell what’s happening. I’m having the Exeter hip stem as recommended by Phil Lee and the Trident cup, apparently I’ve got AVN too.
    Friday here we come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    It’s grim to say the least.
    As a result I’ve got an old iTouch 2 loaded with chill out music headphones
    And going to walk on cool wet grass feeling my toes in the grass. (In my mind that is)
    Trying not to listen or smell what’s happening. I’m having the Exeter hip stem as recommended by Phil Lee and the Trident cup, apparently I’ve got AVN too.
    Friday here we come

Hope all goes well Mick!!!!

New hip anyone?

In at 12:45 and Hip all done at 14:15 pm
    Odd, very odd, I enjoyed it. Mr Carluke worth his weight in gold. The staff are fantastic.
    Felt my femur and saw where the cartilage was eroded. Soft spongey cartilage and smooth shiny bone. Brilliant but not allowed to keep it Weird not feeling legs when you come out! I asked them to uncross them. They showed me they were flat!!!

Last edited by Yorkshiremadmick; 23rd July 2021 at 19:42.

Hope all goes well Mick!!!!
    Fantastic Spuds, first time In 2 years no pain.
    Brilliant good Luck for Yorn

Master
    Blog Entries
    I booked myself in for a total hip replacement on 8th October today. Really struggling to walk & sleep these last few months. I’ve been putting it off since April because I can still ride my bike to a good standard. I could easily ride 100 miles & I’m even competing in a 50 mile Time Trial on Sunday. But off the bike I’m a cripple.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I booked myself in for a total hip replacement on 8th October today. Really struggling to walk & sleep these last few months. I’ve been putting it off since April because I can still ride my bike to a good standard. I could easily ride 100 miles & I’m even competing in a 50 mile Time Trial on Sunday. But off the bike I’m a cripple.
    Ahhh bless Ya
    That level of fitness bodes very well for you. I’ve been a cripple for quite a few months now.
    But to feel NO pain in the hip, which I’ve had for two years is epic. Got a bit of discomfort at the site but that’s to be expected.
    Good Luck with yours. Exeter hip stem cemented in and Trident cup not cemented.

Ahhh bless Ya
    That level of fitness bodes very well for you. I’ve been a cripple for quite a few months now.
    But to feel NO pain in the hip, which I’ve had for two years is epic. Got a bit of discomfort at the site but that’s to be expected.
    Good Luck with yours. Exeter hip stem cemented in and Trident cup not cemented.

I’m pleased to hear the operation went well.

The Exeter hip is cemented but is not actually fixed. The shape of the hip forms a Morse taper with the bone cement, securing it in place without a physical bond. This allows the stem to creep within the cement over time, giving excellent long term results.

Fantastic Spuds, first time In 2 years no pain.
    Brilliant good Luck for Yorn

So good to hear all went well mate, please do keep us informed...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’m pleased to hear the operation went well.

The Exeter hip is cemented but is not actually fixed. The shape of the hip forms a Morse taper with the bone cement, securing it in place without a physical bond. This allows the stem to creep within the cement over time, giving excellent long term results.
    Yeah saved the comment you made about your Dad and the design. Showed him at my preop.
    My Surgeon rates the Exeter Stem as World Class. Coupled with various cups.
    Thanks Mr Lee.

So good to hear all went well mate, please do keep us informed...
    I’m over the proverbial Moon, Spuds, hope it remains & stays that way.
    Yes at the risk of boring this thread, possibly repeating myself I will keep it updated. ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi all

A wee update as requested:

Wife had surgery to replace both knees at once on 15th June.

Physio is happy with her and progress. She’s without crutches mostly now and getting mobile. She takes no painkillers or management any more.

She wishes she had done more to strengthen her legs esp the quad muscles. Too late now so the strength is taking time to build.

So far so good!!

Jim

Jim, David I hope your wife and Mum’s op’s go ok, please do keep us posted.

Fingers crossed for you Mick and Davidd ‘I feel your pain’ I really do, the ‘permanent groin strain’ literally being a fair description of my last four or five years!
    It was actually that permanent feeling of a pulled groin that originally prompted my first visit to the doc’s over three years ago and that’s when I found out I had arthritis, I’d never even considered it until then!

Re: NHS waiting times I think it’s very much area-dependent, I read online somewhere that since Covid hip/knee replacements are now very much down the line and can be three to five years now but on a personal level here in Essex I was told at least eighteen months, maybe two years or so.

I do hope you get yours sooner mate....

In at 12:45 and Hip all done at 14:15 pm
    Odd, very odd, I enjoyed it. Mr Carluke worth his weight in gold. The staff are fantastic.
    Felt my femur and saw where the cartilage was eroded. Soft spongey cartilage and smooth shiny bone. Brilliant but not allowed to keep it Weird not feeling legs when you come out! I asked them to uncross them. They showed me they were flat!!!

Way to go, Mick!

Still got my scar from 2016.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Update: 50 mile time trial in 1:48:50 today, average speed 27.54mph. Not sure how I can do this and walk better than I have for weeks for the rest of the day.

Way to go, Mick!

Still got my scar from 2016.
    Thanks

So operation Friday afternoon, home Saturday afternoon.
    Now to recover and recuperate.
    Feels fantastic not to have the continual excruciating pain, 24/7.
    Mr Carluke the consultant said the operation was well worth doing.

Update: 50 mile time trial in 1:48:50 today, average speed 27.54mph. Not sure how I can do this and walk better than I have for weeks for the rest of the day.
    That all bodes well for your recuperation

Small little walk with the sticks and Mrs. 837 steps according to iPhone this morning, 8 days on from hip operation.
    Pleased.

Small little walk with the sticks and Mrs. 837 steps according to iPhone this morning, 8 days on from hip operation.
    Pleased.
    Good on you Mick, how's the pain/leg-length etc?

Pleased.

Up with the good...down with the bad.

Pleased.
    Speedy recovery Mick. Keep at it.

Master
    hi Mick, glad its all going well.in my experience you will find it gets progressively easier as the wound heals and the muscles get stronger.i have had both of mine done,the last one about 18 months ago.i get no pain at all now and dont even think about it any more,cheers kevin

Cheers Kevin that’s really encouraging
    The surgeon was gob smacked I enjoyed the OP but I think to go from incessant debilitating pain to feeling none(epidural) but still no Hip Pain. As you say other niggles that will subside.
    Thanks for sharing your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Speedy recovery Mick. Keep at it.
    Thanks

Up with the good...down with the bad.
    Physio Therapist said nearly the same!
    Good to Heaven
    Bad to Hell.

Master
    Cheers Kevin that’s really encouraging
    The surgeon was gob smacked I enjoyed the OP but I think to go from incessant debilitating pain to feeling none(epidural) but still no Hip Pain. As you say other niggles that will subside.
    Thanks for sharing your journey.

you are welcome Mick,i have found there are no downsides to this op,once its done its all good.i tell the ladies i am "part man,part machine".its hasant got me anywhere yet,but i keep trying.wifes not impressed .

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    you are welcome Mick,i have found there are no downsides to this op,once its done its all good.i tell the ladies i am "part man,part machine".its hasant got me anywhere yet,but i keep trying.wifes not impressed .
    I’ve been saying I’m the modern Bionic Man
    They have the technology to rebuild better now.

1575 steps on this route but a total of 3395 for the day. May have slightly overdone it. Rest Day today, just exercises.

Good on you Mick....

New hip anyone?

Well 14 days after the operation time for stitches out and dressing removed.
    The lovely JO the district Nurse came. Took off the dressing and said
    You better tell Mr Ian Carluke is worth his weight in Gold again!
    Me why?
    He’s just glued your wound
    The wrinkles are from the wound dressing

Last edited by Yorkshiremadmick; 7th August 2021 at 03:55.

That's tidy.
    But the glue is just the top layer. It's no miracle. I've tried glue, but it cracks sometimes and then your seal is lost. Yours looks good.
    We all teach our trainees "make the top layer good, it's your calling card for the whole job"
    Really the secret is "make everything 100%"

Best of luck with your recovery.

Thanks The Doc.

How are you Mick?

New hip anyone?

How are you Mick?
    Hi Spuds.
    Doing great thanks, I didn’t want to keep adding to the post Willy Nilly. Walking well, 3 weeks on and it’s great. No pain relief required since 7/8
    Down sides, well sleep or lack of. I’m a side sleeper. That’s not advised for months. I can’t sleep on my back, so I’ve gone 48 hours no sleep, till last night/this morning managed 4 hours.
    Hip healing nicely and to be pain free is bliss.

The scar is approximately 5.5” inches or 137mm give or take a gnats cracker.
    Thanks again for asking.

Any news for You?

Last edited by Yorkshiremadmick; 14th August 2021 at 08:00.

Master
    Well 14 days after the operation time for stitches out and dressing removed.
    The lovely JO the district Nurse came. Took off the dressing and said
    You better tell Mr Ian Carluke is worth his weight in Gold again!
    Me why?
    He’s just glued your wound
    The wrinkles are from the wound dressing

Lordy - I went to school with Ian and funnily enough met him and his lovely wife last night for a couple of drinks.

maseman

Any news for You?

So glad all’s gone well for you Mick, may I ask how many nights you were in hospital for?

….and I’m getting mine on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Lordy - I went to school with Ian and funnily enough met him and his lovely wife last night for a couple of drinks.

maseman
    If You see him again in the next couple of weeks Tell him he’s worth his weight in Gold. No pain relief needed since 7/8 am
    He’s done a better job than I could have hope for.
    Top Man.

New hip anyone?

So glad all’s gone well for you Mick, may I ask how many nights you were in hospital for?

….and I’m getting mine on Wednesday.
    Northumbria Health Care pioneered epidural surgery on hips & knees back in 2008.
    Typically if you’re a morning op, you’re out that evening. Afternoon then you’re out the next day.
    Other areas apparently 2-3 days in.

Hope all goes well for you Spuds. Take your favourite music to listen to.
    Enjoy The Experience.

Last edited by Yorkshiremadmick; 14th August 2021 at 22:39.

Master
    If You see him again in the next couple of weeks Tell him he’s worth his weight in Gold. No pain relief needed since 7/8 am
    He’s done a better job than I could have hope for.
    Top Man.

Will do

Master
    Hi Spuds.
    Doing great thanks, I didn’t want to keep adding to the post Willy Nilly. Walking well, 3 weeks on and it’s great. No pain relief required since 7/8
    Down sides, well sleep or lack of. I’m a side sleeper. That’s not advised for months. I can’t sleep on my back, so I’ve gone 48 hours no sleep, till last night/this morning managed 4 hours.
    Hip healing nicely and to be pain free is bliss.

The scar is approximately 5.5” inches or 137mm give or take a gnats cracker.
    Thanks again for asking.

Any news for You?

hi Mick, i had the same sleeping problem,i couldnt sleep on my back because it caused pain in my lower back.i overcame it by purchasing a second hand electric fully reclining chair.i was able to adjust it to support my lower back and i was able to sleep at last.glad you are doing well,cheers kevin