closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Domestic Appliance Third Party extended warranties

Master

Domestic Appliance Third Party extended warranties

Our dishwasher is out of it's two year warranty and I'm looking to buy cover. Domestic and General seem to be the default provider but are not cheap at £9.50 / month. I'd value any recommendations particularly where you've actually had to claim.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Our dishwasher is out of it's two year warranty and I'm looking to buy cover. Domestic and General seem to be the default provider but are not cheap at £9.50 / month. I'd value any recommendations particularly where you've actually had to claim.

Many thanks.
    Wow, £120/year to insure a relatively low cost replaceable item!

If it is a half decent reliable brand, stick it in your savings account and buy another when needed. Not much goes wrong with dishwashers anyway.

Our £350 Bosch is still going strong after 14 year without repair. Before that we had an AEG for 7 years, and gave it away to my wife’s brother. It’s still going strong after a total of 22 years

Only insure stuff you can’t afford to replace. Otherwise you are lining the pockets of the insurance companies.

Master
    These type of warranties are very rarely worthwhile. As said stick it in a saving account.

Craftsman
    Yeah we are in the same position atm

Siemens gas 5 ring thing and a aeg oven out of warrenty but not gonna bother with anything for them. Not much can go wrong I figure.... Famous last words.. Lol

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

There are two parts to this question; value and service.

Service first... I've had D&G appliance extended warranties in the past and when needed, they've paid out with little fuss. There's usually no commitment on minimum term, just pay until you don't want to pay any more.

But value vs replacement cost does need to be a factor. We recently had an offer for £4/m to extend the warranty on an electric cooker, which feels good value to me. If I paid it for 10-years (I won't) it would be less than the cost of a replacement. More realistically, I'll keep it going for a couple of years and then cancel when I feel I've had my moneys worth.
    At £9.50/m you'll be in replacement territory within a couple of years. That doesn't seem good value, you may disagree (peace of mind, cost and quality of appliance, etc).

We had a warranty with them and they were good but expensive. Repaired the dishwasher when it broke, we now are with British Gas as part of home serve contract much cheaper

Master
    Agree with all the above. At that price point I won't be continuing, if I could get it for half that I would.

Home insurance!

I never bother with it ,I think most appliances are cheap enough to replace.
    It does make me laugh when you go to curry’s and buy a kettle for £30 and get asked if you want insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had a bit of a weird one with these guys.

We bought a £2k induction rangemaster cooker a couple of years ago and about 2 weeks before the 12 month warranty ran out D&G contacted me about the £9.95 pm warranty. I decided to take it out as it was an expensive piece of kit and literally a week later it died. They couldn’t get the parts to repair so offered me a replacement machine which I didn’t want so they gave me a few options one of which was a bit further up the range. 2 days later it was delivered and the old one taken away.

I know that is a fairly unusual situation but damn I was glad I took the warranty out and the service was superb. So for anything over 5 or £600 I would definitely take one out with these guys again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Service first... I've had D&G appliance extended warranties in the past and when needed, they've paid out with little fuss. There's usually no commitment on minimum term, just pay until you don't want to pay any more.
    The extended warranty on my TV turned out to be with D&G and no issues when the TV developed a major panel fault. A TV is probably one of the few things I would buy a warranty for. Most retailers seem to include one, to be fair.

I agree that for most household equipment self-insurance is likely to be the most cost effective route.

it would help if the law on retailer/manufacturer liability was clearer. Many still try to fob consumers off with 12 months cover when that doesn’t stand up in law - if you have the will to challenge.
    Last edited by David_D; 3rd May 2021 at 22:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    We bought a £2k induction rangemaster cooker a couple of years ago and about 2 weeks before the 12 month warranty ran out D&G contacted me about the £9.95 pm warranty. I decided to take it out as it was an expensive piece of kit and literally a week later it died. They couldn’t get the parts to repair so offered me a replacement machine which I didn’t want so they gave me a few options one of which was a bit further up the range. 2 days later it was delivered and the old one taken away.
    Legally, they (retailer/manufacturer) were almost certainly liable anyway. They just cling to the legal falsehood that there is such a thing as a 12 month (only) warranty liability.

Never, ever.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I've never taken out any of these insurances - have just put a regular small amount in a savings account.

Over the years I am signficantly up on the deal!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Home insurance!
    Doesn’t cover appliance breakdown

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Legally, they (retailer/manufacturer) were almost certainly liable anyway. They just cling to the legal falsehood that there is such a thing as a 12 month (only) warranty liability.
    You are probably right but that sounds like a fight and faff and might take time to sort. I had a new cooker within day’s so for something as important as a cooker it was worth the £10 pm to me. Wouldn’t necessarily take one out for all appliances.

Master
    Don’t bother when it packs up replace it, always cheapest option!

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Don’t bother when it packs up replace it, always cheapest option!
    +1

Or buy from Costco.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    You are probably right but that sounds like a fight and faff and might take time to sort. I
    Absolutely. That was really what I was meaning. You have rights which they will fight tooth and nail to avoid honouring by putting “12 month warranty” as if that was the extent of their liability when it isn’t!!