closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spring Drive question

Spring Drive question

a question for the spring drive wearers.

looking to go from my SBDX017 to an SNR029J1 - cool, but just a question re the spring drive and my potential wearing habits ; bearing in mind i dont want to buy/use a winder. currently i work 4 days a week and will not be able to wear the watch at work.

so my question is this - given an approx. 72 hr power reserve will the time keeping be adversely affected by wearing the watch for only 2 or 3 hours on work day evenings ? lets assume that it would be fully charged the evening before day 1 of work and wearing over night or not makes little or no difference (or does it?).

i assume not but ... thoughts from spring drive owners on watch behaviour much appreciated ...
    Last edited by bigbaddes; 3rd May 2021 at 11:18.

I don't think spring drive accuracy is affected by power in the mainspring, position etc.

Its magnetically controlled via a quartz regulator so will be accurate in whatever state and position etc.

My SBGA415 hasn't gained or lost even a fraction of a second since I set it last week. It has been on and off my wrist multiple times and in various states of power in the mainspring.

Journeyman
    I haven’t noticed any difference in accuracy when mine has been on and off the wrist and it is not at full ‘charge’.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's best to think of it as a quartz watch with a spring powered dynamo. The oscillator is quartz and that's the bit that does the timekeeping. All the rest is generation and display.

Craftsman

Spring Drive question

Hi,

I have the Skyflake and it is one of 10 or so watches I wear in rotation. So often it is not worn for over a week at a time. The PR runs to zero very often. I have not seen any effects on the accuracy of the watch.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ctam; 3rd May 2021 at 21:57.

Journeyman

Spring Drive question

I looked at a Syflake yesterday and thought it was fantastic, their newer watches are getting better and better all the time. A technical tour-de-force; there’s nothing else like it. I’m sure you’ll be delighted with one.

As has been said, I guess if there’s enough charge in the capacitor the regulator will keep rate until it stops and the glide wheel can’t be braked.

Not to much trouble to reset a non-complicated watch anyway.

You will be fine .
    I emailed Seiko regarding putting a Spring Drive on a winder ,and they advised against it ,
    Can't remember the reason ,it was some years ago .
    You will love Spring Drive, I have had a good few over the years.
    Go for it.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

thanks guys.

will see whats about near mint used but may have to pop for a new one later in the summer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch freek View Post
    You will be fine .
    I emailed Seiko regarding putting a Spring Drive on a winder ,and they advised against it ,
    Spring Drive was created by magicians 😀
    I can’t get my head around how amazing it is
    The smoothness of the second hand is mesmerising
    I would only consider winders for perpetual calendars.