closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Confused - Rolex availability Europe vs USA

Confused - Rolex availability Europe vs USA

Yet another Rolex post but indulge me on this. I’m wondering if something is really different in the US?!

Following the birth of my daughter I thought I could commemorate this event by getting myself and the missus a nice present. Went back to the AD where I purchased wife’s OP back in September to buy her some jewellery and get myself a nice watch.

Omega and Tudor are already a tick in the box so I thought, why not a Rolex? Shortlist was:
    - BLRO
    - Sub Date
    - Exp II Polar

Having read all the rant and discussion on here I was prepared for the worst. Predictably, I was laughed at and told very clearly nothing would be attainable within the year. Even the DJ (which is a nice watch but not one I would really want, plus not worth 8k in my view) would be an expression of interest only.

Still purchased a nice present for my wife, at least one of us is happy.

Apparently over the Atlantic they can walk out with almost anything on the Rolex catalog without virtually any wait? Is availability different in the US? What’s your experience?

https://www.reddit.com/r/rolex/comme...tm_name=iossmf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Sorry - can’t help. I haven’t been to the US since 2019. You could try the same question on US centric forums - timezone.com whatchuseek etc?

Rolex make about 1M watches/year - I guess they are getting sold somewhere.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 2nd May 2021 at 23:21.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

That Reddit link is just awful and I wouldn't believe a word of it- Flexing me Rollie bitches!... Yes that sort of thread..

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would say this isn't true as the sell for over retail in the US too.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Sorry - can’t help. I haven’t been to the US since 2019. You could try the same question on US centric forums - timezone.com whatchuseek etc?

Rolex make about 1M watches/year - I guess they are getting sold somewhere.
    I’m sure they are, and simply by looking at the concentration of wealth, I would assume a higher percentage is allocated to either US or Asian markets…

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    That Reddit link is just awful and I wouldn't believe a word of it- Flexing me Rollie bitches!... Yes that sort of thread..
    Agree, definitely nothing to use as reference but enough to start a conversation

Would make much more sense to ask on The Rolex Forum (with large US membership).

Considering the grey “trusted sellers” do a roaring trade on TRF at well above RRP I’d say it’s not much better over there.

Internet is full of Americans moaning about availability too. Pay no heed to the Reddit thread.

From what I have seen posted on You Tube channels Rolex are as easily obtainable in the US as they are here.

Just look on Chrono24 at the prices being asked by US grey dealers, that should give an indication of how easy they are to obtain from ADs.
    Last edited by Kevin; 3rd May 2021 at 01:42.

Quote Originally Posted by dade.c View Post
    Yet another Rolex post but indulge me on this. I’m wondering if something is really different in the US?!

Following the birth of my daughter I thought I could commemorate this event by getting myself and the missus a nice present. Went back to the AD where I purchased wife’s OP back in September to buy her some jewellery and get myself a nice watch.

Omega and Tudor are already a tick in the box so I thought, why not a Rolex? Shortlist was:
    - BLRO
    - Sub Date
    - Exp II Polar

Having read all the rant and discussion on here I was prepared for the worst. Predictably, I was laughed at and told very clearly nothing would be attainable within the year. Even the DJ (which is a nice watch but not one I would really want, plus not worth 8k in my view) would be an expression of interest only.

Apparently over the Atlantic they can walk out with almost anything on the Rolex catalog without virtually any wait? Is availability different in the US? What’s your experience?

Not much easier In the USA now.
    You’ll typically still need to be a preferred client.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Not much easier In the USA now.
    You’ll typically still need to be a preferred client.
    You mean “grey dealer with access to AD stock” right?

It seems that availability is not the problem really, it’s just a pricing issue.

I fairly sure there is a worldwide shortage of Rolex watches available new from ADs. No shortage at all on the grey market.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I fairly sure there is a worldwide shortage of Rolex watches available new from ADs. No shortage at all on the grey market.
    I seem to remember our Man in Tokyo said even sport Rolexes were available in Japan; mind, that was a few(!) months ago...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

But clearly there is no actual shortage then. If at any given point in time there are plenty of watches available at the grey dealers (I’m looking for example at the 2021 pieces), they must have come from an official AD or Rolex itself.

Then it’s just whether you are prepared to pay 50% or more on top of RRP to get what you want.

Or am I reading it wrong?

Last edited by dade.c; 3rd May 2021 at 09:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I seem to remember our Man in Tokyo said even sport Rolexes were available in Japan; mind, that was a few(!) months ago...
    I’m sure I remember reading somewhere that Rolex aren’t legally able to restrict supply of watches to just their AD’s in Japan, they have to supply other resellers too so there are plenty available but they are at the prevailing market price rather than a set retail price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    But clearly there is no shortage then. If at any given point in time there are plenty of watches available at the grey dealers (I’m looking for example at the 2021 pieces), then it’s just whether you are prepared to pay 50% or more on top of RRP to get what you want.

The only shortage is at RRP.

Half of them boasting of getting the watch at RRP will have sold the watch with in 12 months and taking the profit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I was going to say the same thing, I seem to remember reading that in Asia the most popular watches are the DJ/dressier range and that the sports professional models are not as in demand there.

Blog Entries
    But clearly there is no actual shortage then. If at any given point in time there are plenty of watches available at the grey dealers (I’m looking for example at the 2021 pieces), they must have come from an official AD or Rolex itself.

Then it’s just whether you are prepared to pay 50% or more on top of RRP to get what you want.

Correct. Though there is a “shortage” buying from your local AD.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by vortex89 View Post
    I was going to say the same thing, I seem to remember reading that in Asia the most popular watches are the DJ/dressier range and that the sports professional models are not as in demand there.
    If that's the case, wonder why don't Rolex allocate more to markets where they are in demand?

Is Rolex really happy with this situation?

I’m sure they get their money through all the hard to sell watches the grey pickup, but there must be a good shortfall in the cases the grey dealers pay ADs off in other ways?

Journeyman
    I very much doubt that desirable Rolexes are freely available in the US (or anywhere) but it is true that Rolex adjusts supply by country/region. I cant remember exactly when it was but 2 or 3 years ago, Rolex did cut supply. I was chatting to an AD in the Rolex home town who confirmed this had just occurred, but she said supply in Switzerland itself was more or less unaffected. She did however mention that the UK had been shafted. At that time UK prices were also quite low because of the fall in value of the pound, but Rolex saw to that pretty much at the same time. Now the UK is one of the worst places to get your Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Correct. Though there is a “shortage” buying from your local AD.
    So in essence, if I’m planning to keep the watch 20+ years the RRP premium on grey becomes almost irrelevant.

Though this would keep perpetuating a market practice that is incredibly frustrating…

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Is Rolex really happy with this situation?

I’m sure they get their money through all the hard to sell watches the grey pickup, but there must be a good shortfall in the cases the grey dealers pay ADs off in other ways?
    I’m sure Rolex doesn’t give a monkey. They make 1m pieces and sell almost all of them. Whether is that to flippers or people that actually want a watch to keep is rather irrelevant.

Looks like the most of the damage is done to the ADs.

As an example, even though I did buy something else, I will not likely return to that dealer ever again. Because while it’s true that the dealers have little say into how many watches they get allocated, they do control to whom they sell them to.

Allocation based on spend is a rather inefficient concept. Loyal and high spending customers will likely continue to buy from the same dealer (re-building that spend and relationship elsewhere will be more expensive than a marginal increase). You can only send home so many new customers before that starts to become an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    I very much doubt that desirable Rolexes are freely available in the US (or anywhere) but it is true that Rolex adjusts supply by country/region. I cant remember exactly when it was but 2 or 3 years ago, Rolex did cut supply. I was chatting to an AD in the Rolex home town who confirmed this had just occurred, but she said supply in Switzerland itself was more or less unaffected. She did however mention that the UK had been shafted. At that time UK prices were also quite low because of the fall in value of the pound, but Rolex saw to that pretty much at the same time. Now the UK is one of the worst places to get your Rolex.
    As with many other things, country/region distribution is a standard practice. So I would be very surprised if that was not the case.

Switzerland is an easy bet as would be US and Asia. Clearly, exchange rates are a factor and likely impact the decision on whether to supply a certain market or not.

Let’s wait for business/leisure travel to start up again!

Master
    OP the situation in the US isn’t any different from us at AD’s. Just read Rolex forums and their posts are similar to ours but multiplied. I think it’s just about the same worldwide.

Seeing watches with grey dealers isn’t reflective of the market. Firstly apart from one off items or extremely limited productions you could say that there isn’t a shortage of any product in the world, as if someone is prepared to buy double or treble retail price, there’s always going to be sellers. Secondly how many of these watches actually exist? A lot of chrono 24 watches for example, aren’t actually held stock. Someone enquiries to buy and they may well then source the watch. I’ve seen quite a few Facebook posts in the past where dealers have asked for X Rolex as they have a waiting buyer.

Rolex clearly make less watches than there are buyers right now so there is a shortage. With regards to certain models, they make far far less than there are buyers. I imagine any AD in the world could phone up their customers and sell a steel Daytona, Pepsi, blue sky, BLNR etc many times over - 20 times? 50 times? More?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    OP the situation in the US isn’t any different from us at AD’s. Just read Rolex forums and their posts are similar to ours but multiplied. I think it’s just about the same worldwide.

Seeing watches with grey dealers isn’t reflective of the market. Firstly apart from one off items or extremely limited productions you could say that there isn’t a shortage of any product in the world, as if someone is prepared to buy double or treble retail price, there’s always going to be sellers. Secondly how many of these watches actually exist? A lot of chrono 24 watches for example, aren’t actually held stock. Someone enquiries to buy and they may well then source the watch. I’ve seen quite a few Facebook posts in the past where dealers have asked for X Rolex as they have a waiting buyer.

Rolex clearly make less watches than there are buyers right now so there is a shortage. With regards to certain models, they make far far less than there are buyers. I imagine any AD in the world could phone up their customers and sell a steel Daytona, Pepsi, blue sky, BLNR etc many times over - 20 times? 50 times? More?
    I was looking at TRF last night and yes they have they seem to have the same issues. But a
    The same time the Sales Corner is full of ads of premium sports watches readily available.

Clearly there is an element of fakes or simply advertised pieces as you say, but it seems there is quite a lot of stock around.

Journeyman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

In Switzerland that will mean queues four deep with Chinese customers at the Rolex counter. I remember being at one big jeweller perusing the IWCs and chatting to the sales lady when a coach pulled up outside. Next minute I was given a shoulder barge by some fellow who then pointed to four watches (about £60k worth) that he wanted to buy there and then. I was just about to barge him back (with interest) when I caught sight of the pleading look in the sales lady's eye. I quietly made my exit and left her to her commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post

In Switzerland that will mean queues four deep with Chinese customers at the Rolex counter. I remember being at one big jeweller perusing the IWCs and chatting to the sales lady when a coach pulled up outside. Next minute I was given a shoulder barge by some fellow who then pointed to four watches (about £60k worth) that he wanted to buy there and then. I was just about to barge him back (with interest) when I caught sight of the pleading look in the sales lady's eye. I quietly made my exit and left her to her commission.
    But then the same treatment would be given to anyone who’s willing to spend 60k on the spot regardless of their nationality, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I would say this isn't true as the sell for over retail in the US too.
    I was in the USA prior to the lockdowns and I travelled through many states and stopped at AD after AD and not once was there the opportunity to buy retail - and I tried! Prices in the used market are off the wall, same as down under atm.

Journeyman
    But then the same treatment would be given to anyone who’s willing to spend 60k on the spot regardless of their nationality, I guess?

I know the staff at this particular shop very well, and no, they would not tolerate such behaviour from other customers no matter how much they were intending to spend, but I understand why they do. It was just a silly anecdote and I didn't mind at all - in fact I was glad for the sales lady - but 10 minutes in that shop in the Summer would shine a light on so many things we discuss on watch forums and illustrate why so many of our frustrations about certain watch brands are pointless.

Craftsman

- BLRO
    - Sub Date
    - Exp II Polar

I spend time on WUS and I'm not getting the impression that things are any easier in the United States. Their whines seems to be carbon copies of ours - same shenanigans.