closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is your watch worth more than your car?

Is your watch worth more than your car?

I think after watches on here the next most popular topic seems to be cars...at the mo I am enjoying a £3k Mondeo and a Tudor that cost a little more, as well as a couple of other watches. Not a situation I would have foreseen a few years ago (new Audi and a well used Tag) but I'd rather spend my money that way these days!

I live in North Manchester, mate - I have watches worth more than my house!

My three watch collection is definitely worth more than my secondhand Fiesta.

I would like a decent car but I'm not wealthy enough not to care about it getting scratched, damaged etc and I don't have a garage so the stress of owning one would far outweigh the pleasure.

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    No. But that can will change: with Rolex Sub prices going up and the car getting worth less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

I would like a decent car but I'm not wealthy enough not to care about it getting scratched, damaged etc and I don't have a garage so the stress of owning one would far outweigh the pleasure.
    Indeed when I had a new car I'd park it at the end of Sainsbury's now if I park in Waitrose no-one dares put their SUV next to it.

My sub is worth more than twice the price of my V70.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

Same thinking as me. Had a scrape with a brand new merc recently.. the man was close to tears and ranting and raving... “look at my car!!” Yeh look at mine..... “yours is a piece of shit though” irrelevant sir. Both are cars.
    it felt great to not give a shit 👍.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    I think after watches on here the next most popular topic seems to be cars...at the mo I am enjoying a £3k Mondeo and a Tudor that cost a little more, as well as a couple of other watches. Not a situation I would have foreseen a few years ago (new Audi and a well used Tag) but I'd rather spend my money that way these days!
    Paid £3800 for my current car earlier this year. I think only my 16750 is worth more than that.

Craftsman
    My car was rear ended a few months ago, with damage to the bumper. The repair estimate for the insurer was over £1000; I was shocked to hear from the insurer that the car might be written off. I bought it new in 2007 and just did not realise how much it has depreciated since. In the end the insurer paid for the repair. If they had written off I would only have got about £2k, and what clapped out old motor would I have got for that?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Makes me want to live up north

At present it’s probably similar although every month the value of the car decreases and the value of the watch increases.

It’s mad really, the car BMW X1 was around 30k in 2016, and my current Submariner was £6.5k. Today they’re probably worth the same.

I guess it depends where you live:

https://www.moveiq.co.uk/blog/buying...-buy-house-uk/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Lmao

And yes the mk1 Audi TT I bought as a fun car during lockdown is worth much less than any off my real watches (ie not Apple watch etc ) however if it gives me a year of smiles it’s paid for itself and buying something cheap and fun to drive will become a thing for me from now on I think

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

I think M9 must have come in at No. 0.

Sorry, I miss-read the title as "Is your watch worth more than your house!".

'E' for effort, must try harder.

Yes, by about a factor of 8x, but I currently drive a bit of an old banger.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Same thinking as me. Had a scrape with a brand new merc recently.. the man was close to tears and ranting and raving... “look at my car!!” Yeh look at mine..... “yours is a piece of shit though” irrelevant sir. Both are cars.
    it felt great to not give a shit .
    That you seem to take some pleasure from this is very telling.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

All my watches, including my Vostoks, are worth more than my car. And that's how it should be. :)
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Yes
    Watches > Mountain Bikes > Road Bike > Car

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    That you seem to take some pleasure from this is very telling.
    Pleasure in stress free motoring in the event of suffering dings, scratches etc etc yes it’s great! Glad my post was telling to you. 👍

Blog Entries
    No. Not even all added together.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

https://www.foxtons.co.uk/living-in/south-east-england/

Scary difference

Pleasure in stress free motoring in the event of suffering dings, scratches etc etc yes it’s great! Glad my post was telling to you. 
    Do not be glad, it was not a compliment.

If you are incapable of driving without being involved in 'dings, scratches etc' then you should either be chauffeured or not be driving.

Being glad about being irresponsible is nothing to be proud of.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Used cars of any brand aren't worth much here after 50K km. I "sold" my only car, a fully loaded Mercedes, some years back to a friend - in exchange for a steak dinner. My G shock has better value retention.

When I first got my car it was worth more than any of my watches but depreciation of the car over time and value retention / appreciation in some cases has reversed this.

Right now the car does everything I need it do and the value proposition in upgrading to a newer car in our budget doesn’t seem worth it right now.

Craftsman
    I have no idea.

Dont know what my cars worth and don't know what i could sell my watches for.

Dont know don't care tbh.....

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

it felt great to not give a shit .
    These things do happen whatever you're driving it's a fact...We bought a new car 3 years ago, only a Skoda Karoq so hardly likely to inflame envious or resentful passions in others, little did I know...some bugger keyed it at the Supermarket 2nd week of ownership... that's life, as you observe it's better to learn to just not give a monkeys, doubtful we'll bother buying new again, nothing lasts or stays new for long and there's a plentiful supply of idiots on and off the roads.

I have watches worth my than our shared MX5 & the wife's BMW but (big lottery win aside) wouldn't dream of spending anything close to the value of my Exige on a watch.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I’ve for 4 cars, and one of the watches is worth more than all of them. They aren’t very expensive cars though :)
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 3rd May 2021 at 11:18.

Craftsman
    no , even if i lump the watches together . Worth more than the daily by a mile but not the weekend car

Master
    No but I guess the car depreciates a lot more than the watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    did not realise how much it has depreciated

The hidden cost of motoring that lots of people fail to notice.

As to the thread title about 80% of my collection is worth more than my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    These things do happen whatever you're driving it's a fact...We bought a new car 3 years ago, only a Skoda Karoq so hardly likely to inflame envious or resentful passions in others, little did I know...some bugger keyed it at the Supermarket 2nd week of ownership... that's life, as you observe it's better to learn to just not give a monkeys, doubtful we'll bother buying new again, nothing lasts or stays new for long and there's a plentiful supply of idiots on and off the roads.
    I’m saving for new to me car and was looking at the Karoq thinking that it flies under the radar, say in comparison to a VW Tiguan which I like. The mind boggles as to why someone would scratch/damage someone’s car. Hopefully you got it sorted with a polish rather than a paint job.

My ageing Golf is coming up to 14 years old and is worth less than my watch. I still park away from everyone to avoid dings.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I’m saving for new to me car and was looking at the Karoq thinking that it flies under the radar, say in comparison to a VW Tiguan which I like. The mind boggles as to why someone would scratch/damage someone’s car. Hopefully you got it sorted with a polish rather than a paint job.

My ageing Golf is coming up to 14 years old and is worth less than my watch. I still park away from everyone to avoid dings.
    fwiw only 3 years into ownership but it's given us perfect service every time and I still like and enjoy it, good looks for what it is, spacious and well thought out, reasonably frugal for a midish SUV...almost 50 mpg, some AUDI/VW DNA for less money...it certainly feels as solid as a VW.
    Last edited by Passenger; 3rd May 2021 at 15:53.

No

Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    I have no idea.

Dont know what my cars worth and don't know what i could sell my watches for.

Dont know don't care tbh.....

Well worth the time and effort you wasted replying on the thread then.

[Reminds me of these pillocks on Amazon who reply to a product enquiry from potential buyers with "I don't know, I haven't bought it yet".]

As to the OP, yes (same watch as Scott above - I'm assuming he hasn't sold his yet.]

Is your watch worth more than your car?

Yes, and it feels good! Never spent too much on a daily driver as I can walk to work (the odd time that I have to go into the office), but the car previous to the current one was the most I had ever spent, poor decision on my part, thinking that if I spent more I would get more pleasure, how wrong I was.

I now drive a Volvo S80 worth around two grand which I love! Totally effortless and don’t care where I park it, land yacht bangernomics at its best, I get far more pleasure out of my watches nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Quality Man; 3rd May 2021 at 21:02.

Very much so lol

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

guilty

Indeed, my Sub is worth more than my and my wife's cars combined (Mini and Golf). I hope she never reads this!

Nowhere near - I’m not comfortable spending more on a ‘bauble’ like a watch than something practical like a car. And regarrdless of appreciation if I still had any of my Rolex watches I’d have sold them by now anyway and spent the money on something else, bought one of my sons a car or had a holiday or two. Don’t want someone’s annual salary on my wrist. A complete reverse of my situation in the 90’s when I had some amazing watches and a rubbish car - but all the watches got flipped anyway, and I realised there’s as much fun to be had in the cheap seats. Still need a reliable car though!

My coat is currently worth more than my 2006 Mondeo daily driver.

I have some cars worth less than some of my watches. I'm as bad at selling cars as watches.

Grand Master
    Ive got a pushbike worth more than my car!
    RIAC

Yes but I get more pleasure out of my car :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    No. But that can will change: with Rolex Sub prices going up and the car getting worth less every day...
    Very true Menno

Made me laugh. I moved away from Moston 40 years ago for no other reason than to move closer to my workplace. South Manchester has done well on house prices, I couldn’t afford my house anymore if I went back to 25 years old and working. Pilots and surgeons round here now. Are my watches worth more than my car? You bet they are.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I have watches worth my than our shared MX5 & the wife's BMW but (big lottery win aside) wouldn't dream of spending anything close to the value of my Exige on a watch.
    I agree, despite the potential of decreasing vs increasing assets, just would feel comfortable in doing so.

I have one worth more than my Smart 453, but my whole collection is worth less than either cars. I think I get more enjoyment from petrol as well.