closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric Milk Frother

Craftsman

Electric Milk Frother

I know there are plenty of coffee drinkers on here. Can anyone please recommend a milk frother to go with a French press and Aeropress coffee maker. Currently not a huge coffee drinker but would like to make capaccino / latte at the weekends.

Convenience is a high priority and ideally available from John Lewis, or anywhere that takes One4All gift cards

TIA

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Aerolatte

From the Nespresso range I've had all of them and would only buy the Aerochino 4 again.

Handy to have one that's dishwasher safe.

I bought the non-stick milk frother by Nespresso.

Bought it second hand - there are lots out there where people have bought the twin-set nespresso and recouped some of that cost by selling the frother that the have no need of. Sure- it whisks/heats rather than uses steam, but very convenient, good, and cleans easily.

Craftsman
    Dualit milk frother. £49. AO.com

Thanks

V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the nespresso frother. Works well for me, does high foam / low foam for cappuccino/ latte and even cold foam if you fancy it.

Bought one from Aldi. No difference to the nespresso version and does the job perfectly.

This looks a good deal for the machine and frother? Any experts confirm or deny?

https://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-...x/red/p5071416

Master
    Nespresso model has changed. Best way now is to subscribe to a 2yr plan & you get the machine for £1.

Even if you don’t spend your monthlies after the 2yrs they remain as a credit on your account. Is daft to pay for their machines these days.

The aero 4 mentioned above is the best of you don’t want another coffee machine. Much much better than the previous versions.

Have a Lavazza, was the cheapest, I think £30 to £40 at the time. Think it works pretty well.

https://www.johnlewis.com/lavazza-mi...black/p3311404

Before, had one of these, pump some air into the milk, Cravendale works best, then in the microwave, can’t remember how long, maybe 30 secs, but keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t boil.

https://www.bodum.com/gb/en/1446-01-latteo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check on Facebook marketplace (local) - you'll find plenty for sale (along with asparagus steamers). Things that people thought they wanted, but found that in actuality - they didn't.

Serious coffee-drinkers are different, though

Master
    Jug of milk. Microwave. Push hand whisk. Works just as well.

Master
    The Ikea milk whisk. I tried loads, Aerolatte, french press style versions, the machine versions. But for £1, you won't go wrong. Can't do micro foam, but you can still get a very drinkable milky coffee drink. I used variations for about 12 years with a Rok hand cranked espresso machine. Next step up is an espresso machine with a steam wand.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Have a Lavazza, was the cheapest, I think £30 to £40 at the time. Think it works pretty well.

https://www.johnlewis.com/lavazza-mi...black/p3311404
    We were given one of these for Christmas and have used it pretty consistently since. I’m not a massive fan of cappuccino but I’m slowly acquiring a taste for coffee with a bit of froth now and then.

My daughter uses it a lot for babycinos.

Edit: It’s actually this one...

https://www.johnlewis.com/lavazza-a-...other/p3443499

Bought an aeroccino 4 and wasn’t impressed for the money. Hotel Choclat velvetiser does a decent job and is used more.

Craftsman

Amazon

Do this one, just under £40 and does all you wish.

Craftsman
    Severin sm3586 for me

https://www.severin.com/sm-3586-indu...umer-spuma-700

very easy to get nice milk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    Severin sm3586 for me

https://www.severin.com/sm-3586-indu...umer-spuma-700

very easy to get nice milk
    I’ve had a severin for coming up on ten years now it’s the multi temp offering which I find useful for hot chocolate, it’s the earlier version of this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Severin-358...a-860390838206

Would buy another in a heartbeat if it expired

I've had a look at those plans but it feels a bit like rationing or PCP car miles. If we go for the four-a-day option (2 coffees each per day which I don't think is unreasonable) then it's £55 a month! That's for a package with the frother and it's not even the latest model, it's the 3 not the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Nespresso model has changed. Best way now is to subscribe to a 2yr plan & you get the machine for £1.

Even if you don’t spend your monthlies after the 2yrs they remain as a credit on your account. Is daft to pay for their machines these days.

The aero 4 mentioned above is the best of you don’t want another coffee machine. Much much better than the previous versions.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've had a look at those plans but it feels a bit like rationing or PCP car miles. If we go for the four-a-day option (2 coffees each per day which I don't think is unreasonable) then it's £55 a month! That's for a package with the frother and it's not even the latest model, it's the 3 not the 4.
    Personally I would just get the cheapest one and buy additional capsules if and when you need to. There's no need to get yourself into a large monthly payment on a 24 month contract. I have three Nespresso machines dotted around ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive and the cheapest machine does 95% of what our £650 machine does.

In all honesty I would be tempted to buy a second hand basic one on eBay and see how you get on first. If you want the Aerochino 4 I'm pretty sure I can order it for you on the Nespresso website for 20% off (same goes for any accessories).

Typical upgrades on the more expensive machines aren't exactly mind blowing -- added ristretto button (mini espresso), larger water container and waste tray, quicker to warm up, taller spout so you can fill a thermos directly. If you get a machine which also does milk the most expensive one does the milk and the espresso at the same time so you don't have to wait. Not missing much.

Wrong thread...
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 4th May 2021 at 11:25.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Personally I would just get the cheapest one and buy additional capsules if and when you need to. There's no need to get yourself into a large monthly payment on a 24 month contract. I have three Nespresso machines dotted around ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive and the cheapest machine does 95% of what our £650 machine does.

In all honesty I would be tempted to buy a second hand basic one on eBay and see how you get on first. If you want the Aerochino 4 I'm pretty sure I can order it for you on the Nespresso website for 20% off (same goes for any accessories).

Typical upgrades on the more expensive machines aren't exactly mind blowing -- added ristretto button (mini espresso), larger water container and waste tray, quicker to warm up, taller spout so you can fill a thermos directly. If you get a machine which also does milk the most expensive one does the milk and the espresso at the same time so you don't have to wait. Not missing much.
    @wileeeeeey I know you responded in the 'clean your Nespresso' thread but this is also good to know! I have read elsewhere that the cheaper 'original' Nespresso (as opposed to the newer Vertuo) machines pretty much do the same things without all the fancy bells. I guess at the end of the day the pods are the same so the coffee in your cup won't be a million miles apart form the more expensive machines.

I have a Gaggia Classic (entry level espresso machine), which makes good coffee and steamed milk, but I am drawn to the simplicity of the Nespresso pods. Like most here, I love a shiny thing but, like TaketheCanolli, I'm not sue I see the value (for me with just a couple of drinks a day) in the subscription for £55 a month for a top of the range model. Am I missing out on something? That John Lewis deal shown earlier in thread might be the job I think as a starter to if l like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    @wileeeeeey I know you responded in the 'clean your Nespresso' thread but this is also good to know! I have read elsewhere that the cheaper 'original' Nespresso (as opposed to the newer Vertuo) machines pretty much do the same things without all the fancy bells. I guess at the end of the day the pods are the same so the coffee in your cup won't be a million miles apart form the more expensive machines.

I have a Gaggia Classic (entry level espresso machine), which makes good coffee and steamed milk, but I am drawn to the simplicity of the Nespresso pods. Like most here, I love a shiny thing but, like TaketheCanolli, I'm not sue I see the value (for me with just a couple of drinks a day) in the subscription for £55 a month for a top of the range model. Am I missing out on something? That John Lewis deal shown earlier in thread might be the job I think as a starter to if l like it.
    I got a basic £1 machine back when it was £17 per month and a 12 month contract. A few days after buying I called up Nespresso and cancelled the agreement so I could pay it in one go as we hate direct debits. Today the same option is £480 which is more but still Nespresso credit, not necessarily wasted money.

If you know you want to go for it I'd probably still do that option as £480 will get you a lot of capsules and 20% off a machine as if you buy 1,000 capsules within 12 months to become an 'Expert' immediately and that's your 20% off any machine once per year. You could get the basic £20 machine, cancel the agreement early to pay £480 in one go, buy 1,000 capsules for £360, and still have £120 towards a new machine. My £649 machine was about £480.

The John Lewis deal is pretty good but it depends what you want in the end - different machine, 20% off etc

This is just my understanding so not necessarily correct but I think the Vertuo is a load of BS. Years ago Nespresso took some companies making Nespresso pods to court to stop them eating into Nespresso's market. Those cases failed and now other companies can make Nespresso pods. What Nespresso did next was to make a new machine with new pods which needed a barcode to scan what the drink type was making it much harder (or maybe impossible?) for other companies to make pods. I personally don't think it adds anything to a coffee and I'm not interested in that type of machine. Again, could be complete nonsense from me here but that's my recollection.

We've tried a bunch of capsules from other companies but in the end we just buy the Nespresso ones as that's what we prefer. I was going to buy a bean to cup but my wife and I like different capsules and I also drink decaffe capsules at night so it's just easier for us.

Master
    But all you are paying for is the capsules you would be drinking anyway. The machine is £1

If you spend £55 a month on coffee anyway, it doesn’t matter. I drink slightly less, but at the end of 2yrs, I will have £75 on credit to spend on capsules.

It’s not that you can only have x capsules, you can buy more if you drink more, so the PCP comparison is completely off target.

I don’t do the Aero, as mine has a milk wand on it. And works better IMHO.

Craftsman
    We have an Aeroccino 4 - very pleased with it. I wouldn't sign up to a contract for 2 years - or even 3 months. Part of the fun is trying pods from different places as well. There's a lot of variety out there...

All those plastic/aluminium capsules – have we learned nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    All those plastic/aluminium capsules – have we learned nothing?
    I did try the Grind compostable ones but they weren't for me. Nespresso are quite good with recycling. Got a delivery today and they took the old capsules with them.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I did try the Grind compostable ones but they weren't for me. Nespresso are quite good with recycling. Got a delivery today and they took the old capsules with them.
    They’ve supposedly been reusing some of the capsule aluminium to make Swiss Army knives and Caran d’Ache pens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I have a wand on my Nespresso which is coming up to five years old, amazes me how reliable these bits of kit are, it’s used daily.

Prior to this I tried electric and was not happy with the heat or stretching, I found a hand one much much better. I’m sure it’s in the cupboard still, pop over to Carlton C and you can take it away for a try

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I have a wand on my Nespresso which is coming up to five years old, amazes me how reliable these bits of kit are, it’s used daily.

Prior to this I tried electric and was not happy with the heat or stretching, I found a hand one much much better. I’m sure it’s in the cupboard still, pop over to Carlton C and you can take it away for a try

Pitch
    Many thanks for the kind offer. Unfortunately I'm restricted to being at home for the foreseeable future and can't make it over

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Bought one from Aldi. No difference to the nespresso version and does the job perfectly.
    Got the same one, £20 and used twice a day without any issues.

Looked at John Lewis and you can get a Smeg one for £150!!! It only heats up some bloody milk!

I bought the Aldi one last week and it’s brilliant. What do the expensive ones do that mine doesn’t then?

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    Got the same one, £20 and used twice a day without any issues.

Looked at John Lewis and you can get a Smeg one for £150!!! It only heats up some bloody milk!

I bought the Aldi one last week and it’s brilliant. What do the expensive ones do that mine doesn’t then?
    How long do these things take to heat up milk?
    I want one but am struggling to convince myself that they are better/quicker than using the microwave.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It takes around 90 seconds. The microwave can't give you the froth that the machine gives you. Mine's silent too which is an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    How long do these things take to heat up milk?
    I want one but am struggling to convince myself that they are better/quicker than using the microwave.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Aerolatte
    Yup, had one for years. Heat the milk in the microwave & whisk with one of these. All it needs is a rinse under the tap when finished.