closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Clean your Nespresso

Clean your Nespresso

We just got our old Nespresso out of storage and little black things were coming out of the nozzle when we pressed the espresso buttons without a capsule in. I used the descaler twice and still no change. Nespresso don't sell any cleaning/maintenance products other than descaler so I went googling for tips.

Bought some "cleaning capsules" which I'd never heard of before and they came today. You're meant to just use one but I used all five and have just ordered a few more packs. I feel a bit sick knowing what was in the espresso all this time.

A couple of gross pictures showing the difference from cleaning capsules 1-5. The last clear pic is a lungo shot without a capsule in it - still a couple of little black things but I'll get rid of those with a few more cleaning pods tomorrow. Genuinely rotten.

If like me you're a dummy and hadn't heard of cleaning pods before I suggest you get a few and clean your machine!

Thanks for the tip - will get some of those ordered....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Mmmmmmmmmm

Tasty.

I’ll get some of those for my machine. Thanks.

Regards

V

Master
    Look like it now produces Starbucks

Master
    Thanks - just got one of the new Sage models with the ultimate milk foaming black magic wand, these will keep it clean.

I shudder to think what have been in my old ones I've never noticed.

I do tend to flush a water only lungo out at the end of a day, so perhaps that helps.

Master
    What's the difference between the £5 box & the new £10 box? Apart from £5 of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    We just got our old Nespresso out of storage and little black things were coming out of the nozzle

I thought you meant weevils

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    What's the difference between the £5 box & the new £10 box? Apart from £5 of course.
    No idea, it looked like the more capsules you bought the worse of a deal you got so I bought 3 more of the £5 boxes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Look like it now produces Starbucks
    lol
    #truth

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered some. I have been thinking there was a slight musty taste recently despite descaling. Top tip.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Thanks - just got one of the new Sage models with the ultimate milk foaming black magic wand, these will keep it clean.

I shudder to think what have been in my old ones I've never noticed.

I do tend to flush a water only lungo out at the end of a day, so perhaps that helps.
    I'm looking at buying a Sage Creatista Uno (I think thats what it's called). How do you rate yours?

For comparison, I do have a Gaggia Classic but my wife finds it a faff to use whereas the Espresso seem really straight forward and might suit her better.

The Gaggia needs regular cleaning and descaling but the cleaning of the Nespesso also looks easier?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I'm looking at buying a Sage Creatista Uno (I think thats what it's called). How do you rate yours?

For comparison, I do have a Gaggia Classic but my wife finds it a faff to use whereas the Espresso seem really straight forward and might suit her better.

The Gaggia needs regular cleaning and descaling but the cleaning of the Nespesso also looks easier?
    I’m really impressed by it, I went with the Creatista Plus, £55 a month subscription & £1 for the machine. I like the premium range of nespresso machines, previous one was a kitchen aid. Given the way your subscription remains a credit after 2yrs, I’d not spend cash on a machine, unless you intend to use a different brand of capsules.

The coffee is the same as all of the machines, but the steam wand is impressive, I do nothing but can change settings for temperature, level of foam etc. I was sceptical, but seeing the reviews etc, can do micro foam & latte art without any skill on steaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for the tip. I see that there are also similar products by Urnex and Solute, the Urnex look interesting as are 5g and used for two back to back shots vs 2g for Solute and 3 g for Caffe Nu but couldn't see the active ingredients on all so Solute could still be the strongest

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’m really impressed by it, I went with the Creatista Plus, £55 a month subscription & £1 for the machine. I like the premium range of nespresso machines, previous one was a kitchen aid. Given the way your subscription remains a credit after 2yrs, I’d not spend cash on a machine, unless you intend to use a different brand of capsules.

The coffee is the same as all of the machines, but the steam wand is impressive, I do nothing but can change settings for temperature, level of foam etc. I was sceptical, but seeing the reviews etc, can do micro foam & latte art without any skill on steaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply! I would probably buy the machine outright and maybe use a mix of Nespresso pods and other party ones.

Thanks for the reply! I would probably buy the machine outright and maybe use a mix of Nespresso pods and other party ones.
    Find someone who is has reached their Nespresso expert or ambassador tier. 20% off one machine per year. We recently used ours to upgrade to the Creatista Pro which is excellent or I'd order on your behalf.

Craftsman
    We used to have a nespresso a few years back.

We changed to a bean to cup and have not looked back

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Find someone who is has reached their Nespresso expert or ambassador tier. 20% off one machine per year. We recently used ours to upgrade to the Creatista Pro which is excellent or I'd order on your behalf.
    Thanks for the offer! I have a friend who has had one for a while so he may be at that level. Having said that - What makes one an 'expert' or 'ambassador'?

Master
    Thanks for the offer! I have a friend who has had one for a while so he may be at that level. Having said that - What makes one an 'expert' or 'ambassador'?
    https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/benefits

Just used the cleaning capsules - that was pretty disgusting. But wow - the coffee tastes lovely! Thanks again for the top tip....

Master
    Similar story if you leave most coffee machines, I think our old dolce gusto was awful for scaling up and clogging on the small nozzle

Ours is a proper coffee machine now but has a built in water filter and makes a heck of a difference, not messing about with its half as often

Back with the big boy today so will dump the other one back at my in-laws later. A lot easier to rinse the milk jug.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Just used the cleaning capsules - that was pretty disgusting. But wow - the coffee tastes lovely! Thanks again for the top tip....
    +1 from SWMBO today.

Thank you, wileeeeeey!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

My coffee machines are cleaned out after every use.
    We are still living in the dark ages ooop north.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks to the OP for the heads-up. Had our Sage Creatista Plus for just over two years (love it, by the way) and had no idea about cleaning other than the descaler kits. Ordered a couple of packs of the Caffe Nu capsules.

Master
    Eeeew. That was horrible.

Thanks OP.

I suppose this stands to reason...it will be the same as your drip tray which if you don't clean regularly looks pretty minging! I didn't think about the spout...will be ordering some cleaning capsules but I think just running hot water through regularly will prevent this to a certain extent rather than continually buying these cleaning capsules.

I had an old machine a few years ago that I left on our kitchen worktop for months because I'd run out of capsules and stopped using. Eventually started getting little fruit flies come out of it...at this point I binned the machine!

Master
    That is vile!

I’ve bought them, but will see what they are like. As mentioned, I run a clear water through at the end of the day & a lot of my black coffees as a lungo then the same as just hot water, my water is always 100% clear, so interested in this.

Design of the new one vs my kitchen aid one is significantly improved with regard to the drip tray & coffee residual, much more water colour & the odd bit of light brown water in the capsule bin.

Wish I’d tried the cleaner in the old one to see what had possibly built up.

I've had my Nespresso machine (De'Longhi Lattissima) for just over 7 years and I had never cleaned its internals (but have descaled maybe once).
    I've always used filtered water and push through water without a pod after each use to clean the pipes so I was a little sceptical about these cleaning pods.

That said, I thought I should give it a go and so I ordered some of the Caffenu pods/capsules and used a couple.
    Although the results were not as dramatic as the OPs, the clean was obviously beneficial as quite a bit of junk came out and the coffee does now taste much better.

Thanks for the tip

I've had my machine for about 6 years. Gets daily use with tap water. Bought the cleaning capsules after reading this thread...came out white with very little sediment. Won't be bothering with too many of these as the brewing chamber just isn't that dirty.

The machine I did it on is about 6.5 years old and fairly regular use. Usually a minimum of 4 coffees per day with 6 capsules.

For about 4 years I always ran through an empty espresso after but my wife thought the machine would probably break after X amount of uses and made me stop! Probably didn't help that it's been in storage for 6 months unused.

I ran a cleaning capsule through the new machine and nothing came out.

Craftsman
    good tip, i'll be getting some of these too.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, just ordered some. I have been thinking there was a slight musty taste recently despite descaling. Top tip.

*UPDATE*
    Just for a heads up. I was so disgusted after seeing this I couldn’t wait for the cleaning capsules to arrive. So I set about old fashioned methods. I filled the reservoir with warm water and poured in a generous amount of Bicarbonate of soda powder, I run it through the machine until the reservoir was emptied, the first shot came out the same colour as yours but by the end it was running clean, I then flushed a further full reservoir and it was still crystal clear. I wish I had photographed it all. The coffee now tastes fresh again with no mustiness at all. The capsules arrived the next day. I will keep them anyway as it’s less faff. But I was well chuffed with what I achieved using old methods too.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    *UPDATE*
    Just for a heads up. I was so disgusted after seeing this I couldn’t wait for the cleaning capsules to arrive. So I set about old fashioned methods. I filled the reservoir with warm water and poured in a generous amount of Bicarbonate of soda powder, I run it through the machine until the reservoir was emptied, the first shot came out the same colour as yours but by the end it was running clean, I then flushed a further full reservoir and it was still crystal clear. I wish I had photographed it all. The coffee now tastes fresh again with no mustiness at all. The capsules arrived the next day. I will keep them anyway as it’s less faff. But I was well chuffed with what I achieved using old methods too.

Anything prior to the pod should only have limescale and it is pretty much the nozzle only that contains the old coffee sediment. I know nespresso only recommend their own cleaning solution for the "back-end" of the machine...I assume this is so you buy it from them as opposed to use bicarb or another limescale product? Just wasn't sure how delicate the heater matrix and pump were which is why I always stuck to nespresso descaler for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Anything prior to the pod should only have limescale and it is pretty much the nozzle only that contains the old coffee sediment. I know nespresso only recommend their own cleaning solution for the "back-end" of the machine...I assume this is so you buy it from them as opposed to use bicarb or another limescale product? Just wasn't sure how delicate the heater matrix and pump were which is why I always stuck to nespresso descaler for this.
    Tbh I did know I was taking a risk, but its an old machine. I personally have always used any supermarket appliance descaler such as Kilrok or Oust (apologies for spelling). Always been okay for me. As you say I guess it’s just so you use their products.