closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TZ WT my retrospective. (very long post)

Blog Entries

TZ WT my retrospective. (very long post)

Since hitting the 10000+ post mark I thought about doing a bit of a watch talk retrospective comparing TZ-WT when I joined compared to TZ-WT 2021. To that end I am being a bit indulgent, by quoting some of my posts down the years - I hope this may give some entertainment and maybe even some may be thought provoking.

Thread title: What makes you collect watches - a personal view
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This is a question my wife asks me from time to time. I think, in consideration, it all comes down to the concept of "time" - it is an elusive thing - I spent 3 years at university studying quantum physics and the cosmos trying to put my finger on the "4th dimension" - but still it's a puzzle - so I started, probably fitting with my addictive personality - to collect watches - 1,2 ... now 10. 3 quartz, 1 manual wind, the rest various auto - chronographs, chronometers, large date, no date, GMT, moon-phase, Swiss made, Breitling, Omega, Zenith, Patek, inherited, new, second-hand, traded.

Anyway, she doesn't quite "get it", and wonders why anyone buys more than a £40 Casio which keeps time better than any automatic - I try and explain the way a watch is almost a living thing - a symbiont, relying on the movement or actions of its host to "live" - and for what? To quantify that very thing which fleets and makes all things wither and cease to exist - that moment, the moments that make up time.

Or is it because - I am just fascinated by the engineering - the little cogs and wheels that move in unison - tick, tick, tick . . . what is this thing?

How about you?
    Title: new incoming...
    another roly incoming... guesses?
    soon after

Title: GMTIIC - incoming on Tues - arrived!
    following on from last weeks post...

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80683

My GMT has arrived safely and here are a couple of pics:

First a 'glam' shot:

And a wrist shot:

An interesting shot showing the 'ant-glare' properties of the cyclops.

I think this is a very photogenic watch and these won't be the last pics of this beauty.

Thanks for looking guys! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Title: T SWISS T
    Now this has got me interested! Maybe covered else where - but here is the T SWISS T on my Rolex AirKing Precision (bought from new in 1978 by my father) -

Reading the web this indicates Radioactive Tritium (see the round 1/2 moon bead for example) has been applied and reacts with phosphorous. The glow has long-gone as the phosphorous has burnt out - but I imaging the Tritium radiation still goes on - interesting faq here: http://www.fhs.ch/en/faq.php

25 Feb 2010
    Title OK I'm band
    Just made one final purchase - pics to follow - ok have a guess (it's from the SC) - but my wifey (I love her dearly) has placed an embargo on any more watch purchase (or trading) for at least 12months :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The only way I can see this working is with a self-imposed quarantine from any watch related sales sites.

So ta ta Eddie and forum friends for a while - nice knowing you guys :cry: Pics will follow..
    26 Feb 2010 (the irony)
    Title: 1st pic
    Will have more to come - but this is a quick shot of the new one:

Title: Seamaster's compared
    Just doing some comparison shots of my two Seamaster 300m Omega:

Looking carefully the second hand shows up the quantized movement of the second hand - a give away of the quartz movement. With some calculations the Cal 1120 movement of the auto beat frequency can be deduced from the third shot.

Now - a quick Alt F4 - the wife is back :shock: :shock:
    Title: Mix and Match
    Decided to take the bracelet from my GMTII-C with brushed centre links put on my 16660 - and it fits like a glove!! I am very happy - all purists look away now!!

And the GMTIIC is on the nato - makes quite a difference..

I'll get my coat :arrow: :wink:

Title: SOTC - March 2011

Not my best photo.. but at least you can see them all together..

Title: for every occasion
    Couple of favorite things..

The Patek is picking up some surface scratches over the years - but I think adds character.. the 5513 is now on a nato..
    Title: Pimm's O'Clock
    It was definitely that time of day ..

Title: Omega AT 8500
    Just a photo -

This was taken on a black smoked glass table (not photoshopped image) - some work done on the image for effects - but the reflection is real.
    October 2013
    Title: Stolen watch
    Just had my submariner stolen in Barcelona.

Sod it.

It is insured but pain in the butt.

Title: SOTC - Jan 2015
    With an arrival this week I thought it time to post a State of The Collection post. I wonder how this will stand in Jan 2016? Anyway

Here is the current line up - highlighting the front row first:

1. Rolex Air-King Date with Blue dial - rather rare so I've been told.
    2. Omega SM300 - my most recent addition
    3. Patek Philippe - Annual Calendar - 5146J - the jewel in my collection

Now back row:

4. Rolex Submariner ND Ceramic
    5. Rolex SeaDweller - this is a 16660 from 1986 with a rather nice pedigree.
    6. IWC world-time - largest watch in my collection
    7. Omega X-33 MKII - with the service thermo-compensated movement - extremely accurate

I also have my B-1 but it's in with Breitling for a full service as it's 10years old and was due a battery change. I am looking forward to it's return - in the meantime one of my own pictures will have to do:

Title: Aerospace Evo Night Mission - re-booted>>>
    I've now had a chance to take some decent pictures of my Evo Night Mission Ltd Edn (300 pieces) in it's new boots. I've been wearing it now on the rubber strap and must say it is very comfortable. Big plus is the clasp is also PVD'd so exactly matches the case finish.

So on OEM supplied 'Military' Bracelet on deployment:

And now on 22mm Pro III Hershey OEM rubber strap with black-steel clasp:

I may try this strap on my B-1

Anyway - well pleased with this combination.

Comments of course most welcome

Title: New Arrival >>>>
    This arrived a month ago. Only just been able to see her in person. I'm now a grandad - officially an old git.

Wearing my Breitling B-1 for the trip to Canada to visit.

Title: Further BLNR pictures and also SOTC Jan 2016
    Well for me there were some movers and some incoming last year. Nothing incoming yet this year but I have some ideas on some changes. I am a little heavy on the Rolex at the moment but I can't help feeling another may be coming along at some point. Then again there are some other great marcs to explore. Anyway. Here is the current line up

The Rolex

SD4000 - BLNR - Air-King-Date -SD 16660

Breitling B-1 SQ; Omega Seamaster 300; Omega X-33 MK-III SkyWalker

Breitling Aerospace Evo Mission Cobra;IWC Pilot Worldtimer

I actually took my camera out to take pictures of the BLNR. Here are some the results:

Well I hope you enjoy these shots. My Patek is in for a well earned service and I hope to have it back next month.

All the best to you folks, new and old members here.

Martyn

Title: Two watch collection
    I must be getting old but I find the more esoteric watches are just not getting a look in since getting the explorer. It is down to these two that get the most wear.

Both are 39mm and I find complementary in purpose.

I guess it's a phase and the others will get a look in, but at the moment - they aren't.

Martyn.

Title: Just Landed: Omega Po Chrono 600m 215.32.46.51.01.001
    Picked this up up Gatwick North Terminal today, more details later, but am impressed. Very substantial, but worth it IMHO. Off to Portugal for a week away from the rain.

Take off in 5mins. Double happy!!

A beast of stainless steel. But a great holiday watch with its orange accents. Actually wears fine on my 6 3/4 wrist with no overhang. Thick though but that is balanced by the larger 46.6mm case diameter. I tried on a smaller 43mm GMT but it felt too top heavy. More later. . the plane is moving for take off.

First photo:

Title: Updated SOTC - April 2017
    There have been a few movers in and out since my last SOTC shot. Notably my Rolex 16660 has moved on to pastures new.

As this is spring time the sun is out I had time to get a decent picture of my little collection today. I also tried the HI-RES option on my Olympus camera and it turned out rather well (I think). Anyway without further ado - here is the result:

(designed for 4K screens so sorry if you can't see this to full effect on your phones - I think it gets scaled though):

Back row :
    Rolex Explorer 1 39mm (July 2016)
    IWC Worldtimer
    Patek Annual Calendar 5146J
    Breitling B55 Exospace

Front row:
    Rolex 116600 - Seadweller (July 2016)
    Rolex Submariner LVc (Hulk)
    Rolex Air-King-Date (1978)
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Master Chronograph
    Omega X-33 MKII

Well - that's it until next year!

Martyn
    Title: so - what were you wearing 11 years ago
    I found this picture in my archives from Dec 2005 (using my Nikon E4500 - 4Mpixel camera) and saw how much has changed and how how much some things have stayed the same.

I was wearing an Omega Planet Ocean on bond bracelet - No music on my phone (battery lasted 2 weeks I think between charges) - had to carry my iPod separately. Still carry the same wallet for my rail-card - still working at the same firm - but moved house. That wallet has worn out but have something similar - and that change is worthless these days!!

and today?

a few changes - but some similarity.. B55 Breitling, smart phone with IpodAirs, so no need for an iPod, else not too much changed - still have folded money and change in the wallet. Guess I'm old fashioned.

Martyn

Title: Well - not sure what to do now
    Back story: I’ve cashed in two of the most valuable watches to finance this one. I will miss both the SD4K and FF - but ‘needs must’ as they say.

Roll forward to today: So money in bank (well nearly but that’s another story - all you hipsters doing fraudulent deals have a lot to answer for), head off to dealer to pick up ‘grail’. Meet up and all looks great. Suitably large box appears - watch inside. Give it a few winds - nothing. Heart sinks a little. Maybe not wound enough. Try 10-20 turns of the crown. The thing is DOA.

Two things spring to mind. Where are the quality checks with the manufacturer. Where are the quality checks with the dealership? This is a near £17K deal. I mean come on.

So I have first refusal on a fully serviced watch so being stoic this works in my favour as a service is in the order £1K. Bad news 6 to 12 week wait.

I’m bummed (sad).

Watch in question:

Title: SOTC - Jul 2018
    Time for an update I think as there have been a few ins and outs from my little collection recently. Some have been and gone in between so I won't mention those. So without further ado here are some pictures - no particular order.

Omega Speedy Tuesday
    Not much introduction needed for this watch. It is the limited to 2012 edition with reverse panda and various other cosmetic changes from the standard speedy pro, all brushed case, for example. I have it on an Omega NATO black and grey accents.

Breitling Galactic Unitime SleekT
    What a mouthful for a name! This model now discontinued under the new Breitling management. The bezel is actually Tungsten for extra scratch resistance. A very simple and effective world time mechanism operated from the screw down crown that simultaneously displays the time in multiple time zones. 100m wrt means it is a true travel watch. One the strap from my Aerospace Night Mission.

Zenith El Primero XXL 03.1260.4021
    Just arrived and I am still learning about this one. It has a modified El Primero movement Calibre 4021 with wonderful gauche silver dial with multiple facets. Non-date with Reserve-du-Marche complication and chronometer, two handed (no second hand for the time). Just amazing and different from your black diver.

Patek Annual Calendar 5146J
    Gold case and hands with cream dial, this is from the Calatrava range with complications. For many reasons not leaving my collection.

Rolex Air-King-Date
    Smallest watch in my collection. My Dad's bought from new in 1978. no quick set mechanism makes it a bit tedious to get the right date but still a lovely little piece. Just waiting for 35mm to be in vogue again.

Rolex YachtMaster Steel-RoseGold
    Recent acquisition, lovely piece with classic shaped case but with modern 3135 movement. Love it!

Rolex SD4000
    No introduction needed. Unloved when in production, loved when production ended we are a fickle bunch. I loved it when it first came out, and still do - this would outlast an atomic explosion - so when doomsday comes - it may be my one and only.

Patek Aquanaut 5167A-001
    Recently acquired - so under the radar it is superb. No-one knows what it is. 6mm thick so the watch is slimmer than the closed bracelet clasp. 120m wrt and rubber strap - built for summer days - or evenings, or to be worn anytime.

Omega Speedmaster X-33 LE
    Loudest alarms on the planet - superb! Luckily I have a degree in astrophysics, so can nearly work out how to operate it and not get my PET mixed up with my MET. Mad watch - proven tech

Breitling Aerospace Night Mission
    Great holiday watch - looks good too. 100m wrt means no probs having a dunk in the pool - not so sure about the 30m Speedy X-33

And a group shot

Thanks for looking guys

Martyn

Title: Can I wear my watch when washing dishes?
    Sometimes I have to wash dishes by hand in our household and I would like to know what the forum consensus is about wearing ones watch for such activity? Do you always take it off or leave it on and risk it?

(The search function doesn't seem to be working at the moment. )

Jul 2019
    Title: Ta ta folks
    I’ve had enough. Will be posting a final SOC soon. But had enough of TZ - good to meet those I have - keep the flame burning and all that.

May go off to watch school, so need to concentrate on studies - next life chapter is beginning for me.

“So long and thanks for all the fish” (HHGTTG)

M
    Title: November 2019 - SOTC
    Just a bity bored on a Sunday night so took a group shot of my little collection - not a great photo quality - but wanted to get them all in one shot . . . I will leave it to the reader to have fun naming them. - you may need to try looking on something other than your smartfone though: I apologise for the photo quality - if you want individual pics I guess I could post them.

Brands:
    Breitling, Rolex, Patek Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin, Zenith, Rolex, Rolex, Breitling, Omega

Title: Incoming.... but can't open for 72h
    All post in our household is in quarantine for 72h because of the Covid-19 so here is my latest that just landed..

Thanks to TZ!

Something to look forward to in these troubled times. Roll on Saturday,

Martyn

Title: Complete the three... pic
    Following a recent thread. Here are the three together. Maybe it is time to thin out the rest?

Left to right:

Vacheron Constantin Overseas blue - 4500v
    Patek Philippe Annual Calendar yellow gold - 5146J
    Audermars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver - 15710ST

Thanks for looking.

Martyn.

Title: getting on the list... (Rolex content)
    I have had a message from my local Rolex AD that I must have a Covid-19 vaccine before I can be put on the list for a new Pepsi. This is quite annoying.

Has any anyone else had the same experience?
    Title: Reference material - an astounding, outstanding site
    I stumbled across this site tonight. I don't know if others are aware of it. But they tear down some of the famous and not so famous movements and also provide some fascinating reading on the people in the industry. For those interested in horology I encourage you to take a look. There is a wealth of information and even some free ebooks too. I have no affiliation with the site.

Here is the site address:

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com

Grab a couple of beers and fill your boots!!!

a typical image. (c) thenakedwatchmaker.com:

Title: End game?
    Well guys and girls. I think I’m done (except for selling). I seemed to have got a watch that has managed to captured my attention and kept it. Perhaps I have found my watch “wife” after so much playing the field.

This watch has not been off my wrist except for morning showers since bought from new back in mid October. I did try the 5146J for a few hours but to no avail. Here is a picture of it:

I guess it could be not getting out and about so much meaning I don’t feel I need to change watches. I haven’t sold any of my others but my rule of “if I don’t wear it sell it”, means should they be getting nervous?

Anyone else in a similar position? I think there have been some similar posts. Let’s see what 2021 brings. But maybe this is my end game position and I feel somewhat comfortable about it.

Martyn

Title: More Decisions
    Never satisfied me! (on the phone swipe across the image to see the full equation. Ta)

+ some £1000's =

What about this equation? (not sure if this will display properly on your little phone screens). Throwing this into the TZ universe for opinions. Thats the 37 version of the AP RO (15450ST.OO.1256ST.01)

Martyn

Final thoughts

If you got to the bottom well done!!

As you may have seen - even though trying to escape at least twice from this place - I am resigned to knowing I may never leave except in a box. The group has changed and matured (some more than others), individuals may have come and gone for various reasons and even at one stage Eddie was going to sell the site to a 3rd party which I think would have destroyed its rather anarchic driven mode of operation. But it stayed with Eddie in a hands-off approach and long may it continue. Long live TZ!

Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Very well put together Martyn, and interesting to see the changes down the years - albeit, one constant throughout does appear to be Rolex. I am surprised by your choice of the RO Offshore, it does seem larger than pretty much all others you have owned (although you did own a Ploprof, so maybe your tastes do vary). Out of all those you have owned, which brought / brings you most joy - your Patek? [Maybe a tricky one to answer.]

When I have more time (I've been working all day, still am), I'll give this a more detailed read - and also the naked watchmaker link above.

Thanks for posting, as usual it's worth the read.

Title: Two watch collection

Martyn
    I think I’d swap the 39Mom Explorer for the new 36mm and be done with it with just those two. Lovely.

Master
    Martyn your watch buying and ownership is a rollercoaster of highs and lows. Thanks for posting and I trust your 5 ? Year old granddaughter is still a presence in your life.

Steve

Master
    Great thread Martyn and the one thing that stands out to me about you is that when you want a watch you go for it. You’ve bought and sold a few over the years but main thing is you’ve tried them. No regrets.

Looking forward to seeing a lot more to come :-)

An enjoyable read Martyn.👍

My takeaway is:

- Mrs MartynJC was on your case, with the occasional buying embargo from the outset

- Only the 5146 and AK have survived your rollercoaster journey.

I look forward to what is next.

So many stunning watches. Great read and thanks for sharing. So how many are you up (or down) to now?

Nice retrospective M 👍

Craftsman
    “Just made one final purchase...” from February 2010 made me chuckle.

I know that feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Good read!

2016 you hit perfection. Although that VC that came later may have just been the icing on the cake

Very nice indeed

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Rolex and Barcelona. Two words that don’t go together well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice read. What a journey

Damn that SD4000 looks good.

Guess the AP Offshore didnt last long? Another that tempts me now and then

Craftsman
    That was a fun read. Also interesting to see that I joined around the same time you did but I’m 9,000+ posts behind you.

I've enjoyed reading through your horological journey and you're not the only one who has found this place to be akin to Hotel California.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Rolex and Barcelona. Two words that don’t go together well.
    My wife would agree with you on that.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Great read Martyn and I remembered a lot of your original posts as I read through from when I joined back in 2014.
    If you had to make it just one though and one only, which one would it be?
    Funnily enough I’m just selling one of the big Omega Planet Ocean chronos back to Steve, as you say a great holiday / summer watch but funds needed for daughter no. 2 and her new car. All the best.

Enjoyed that Martyn - some cracking pieces you’ve owned over the years.

A great recap. You been through some watches!
    Enjoy the continuing journey.

Congratulations on hitting this milestone.
    Bloody hell my Teas gone cold reading through this epistle.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Nice retrospective M 
    +1

Thanks for taking the time to do this, M.

Great read Martyn, great to see how you arrived at your current collection too (a great one that is)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a very pleasant 15 minute read. Hugely interesting how your collection has evolved over your 10k posts. I think many of us have had similar jouneys, in the sense that there are times we think we're finished only to start fixating on another watch

Master
    Pretty relentless collecting over all those years......how do you view your attitude to watch ? (I don’t think ‘disinterested’ would fit the bill.)

Master
    Loved reading this thread...the reason i joined TZ in the first place to meet liked minded people who are passionate about horology.

It's unfortunate i stumbled into the bear pit where there are a few sad individuals but you get them in all walks of life.

Enjoy your next 10000 posts.

Blog Entries
    First - thanks for all the replies! It's been a fun ride so far for sure. Had a few regrets but its a hobby after all and not life and death. I'll try and cover off some specifics below:

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Martyn your watch buying and ownership is a rollercoaster of highs and lows. Thanks for posting and I trust your 5 ? Year old granddaughter is still a presence in your life.

Steve
    Steve - she is very much front and centre - but we are desperate to see her. It's only Skype calls to Nana and Papa at the moment. She is such a delight but we are missing precious time that will never return. We are stoic but more than a little sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    So many stunning watches. Great read and thanks for sharing. So how many are you up (or down) to now?
    Hi - current tally is eight: VC x1, Rolex x4, Patek x1, Omega x1, Zenith x1 (I also have a cheap g-shock)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Great read Martyn and I remembered a lot of your original posts as I read through from when I joined back in 2014.
    If you had to make it just one though and one only, which one would it be?
    Funnily enough I’m just selling one of the big Omega Planet Ocean chronos back to Steve, as you say a great holiday / summer watch but funds needed for daughter no. 2 and her new car. All the best.
    It would have to be my Patek Annual Calender 5146J-001 for one and only one.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Pretty relentless collecting over all those years......how do you view your attitude to watch ? (I don’t think ‘disinterested’ would fit the bill.)
    Peter - relentless! That just about sums it up. My attitude to watches: baubles - I am fascinated by one, I lose interest, then trade / sell, repeat.

I am really trying to curb the cycle buy moving to "less is more" approach -

I have three I don't propose to sell: VC 4500V, PP 5146J, and Rolex 126655 YM40 RG - the others well who knows. I'm still pandering after an AP RO 39mm and something caught my attention on SC!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG