closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sell OP39 to Buy Omega AT? Would You

Sell OP39 to Buy Omega AT? Would You

Folks. I have an OP39, pics below, and it’s a fantastic watch. My slight reservation is, I sometimes think it’s a bit too... ‘posh’ for my lifestyle. I don’t wear a suit or anything, just a polo and chinos to work and away from work I have young kids and do a fair amount of sporty stuff or camping, pub, garden with friends etc, basically I don’t lead a very formal lifestyle at all and the OP is a fairly formal watch.

End result is I don’t wear my OP much as I thought I would when I got it, so have been thinking of swapping for an AT, black, 38mm version simply because it’s a bit more sporty and rugged and I can see myself wearing it all the time. Plus, it has a date on it which has become of more and more importance to me.

AT advantages: arguably a better movement with METAS, better anti mag, longer power reserve, higher water resistance, bit more causal, has a date, rhodium plated hands and indices. I’d get it on bracelet but buy the rubber too.

OP advantages: Better bracelet and clasp (no PCLs or butterfly), beauty in simplicity, Rolex residuals especially associated with a discontinued model.

I dunno, am I being too picky or ridiculous? I know they are very similar and I really like the OP as a watch, it’s near perfect, but I feel the AT is more ‘me’ and I’d get more use out of it. I’m feeling like I can only really justify one main, expensive watch and I want to wear it all the time. But once the OP has gone it’s probably gone forever and I’ve had sellers remorse before and don’t want it again! Thoughts appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If you are not wearing a watch and think you should be then I’d say move it on. I am bias as I own an AT but it’s a superb watch and if you buy it on the bracelet you can dress it up if you need to. I also personally prefer the look of the omega but that personal preference.

I’d normally say no but from what you describe I think it’d be a better fit for you.

The OP is bottom of range and will be replaceable if you regret it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Try the OP on rubber before you sell if you want to dress it down.

They look very similar so the strap will make a difference.

Go for it. The OP 39 is an odd one. I owned that model, it’s absolutely perfect in every way, yet, it’s not. It’s too vanilla - I doubt you’d miss it. I don’t.

With a black dial the OP is going to be quite versatile, so I would try it on some different straps first. Rubber as mentioned, distressed leather or canvas would all dress it down a bit. I don't think the AT is any less dressy.

I'd keep the OP...

Craftsman
    both are quite nice but the OP as mentioned earlier is the more versatile of the two

Omega.

I love them and I'm no longer comfortable with what Rolex has become and the message it send out.

Yes, you can dress down the OP with strap but it's still really a posh watch and if you stick it on some leather or rubber it will look like a proper weekend warrior: neither one thing nor the other.

The AT will dress "up" well enough, better than the OP will dress down, and is a more interesting (and, arguably, better) watch.

If you took the names (and their associations) off the dials and the money out of the equation then it's the Omega all day, every day.

I'd keep the OP. If you're really curious about the Omega and funds allow, get that too and after a period of time make a decision. I kind of feel like you'll regret selling the OP, but of course I don't know you so what I'm really saying is I think I would regret selling the OP.

As for the dressy side of it, personally I don't think the OP is that dressy on the Oyster, but stick it on a rubber strap and it'll be a great weekend watch. The Omega looks more casual IMO precisely because it's on the strap, look at it on the bracelet with the polished centre link and I'd argue it looks more dressy than the OP!

None of this is to discredit the AT which I think is a great watch too.

Personally not sure the AT is that much less dressy or really more tough and rugged than the OP, the OP is rather plain though. If you just prefer the general look of the AT go for it, but if you need something that really is tough and rugged perhaps
    should look at other options as well.

I’m Coming from a completely opposite direction to you but after falling into just grabbing the G-shock everyday during lock down as my activities were much more restricted Ive decided should change a couple of watches to something I’m happy to wear when walking the dog or go for a quick bike ride but also wear to the pub or restaurant, but Ill still have some other
    dressy options which I wouldn’t wear everyday anyway.

Master
    Keep the OP. Buy a G Shock.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I like both brands and Rolex would quite often come before Omega for me. In this instance though I prefer the Omega AT. I think it has more to offer than the OP39 in terms of style and movement. This is totally subjective however!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Disagree 100% with the logic here, the OP 39 is a classic understated design that can be worn anywhere.

A very strange thought process that I can’t relate to, I haven’t ‘ dressed up’ often for years but I regularly wear vintage gold watches because I like them.

You’re over-thinking it buddy!

I sold an OP and bought a Seamaster. Both vintage (in fact, both the same year: 1956).

I'm glad I did. Of course, that's not relevant here but I've just realised it's a coincidence.

If you did the same we could start a club or something? I'll get us badges and t-shirts and a newsletter and membership cards and everything. We could be best mates. Our wives might get on and our kids could play together. I'll relocate closer to you. We could move into a big house all together. Go on, it'll be fun.

Never sell a Rolex for an Omega. Put the OP on rubber for a while and see how you get on with that.

https://tinyurl.com/68bz34ja
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Investment keep the Rolex. For the best watch, change to the omega. Better looking dial, and case, better movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    As for the dressy side of it, personally I don't think the OP is that dressy on the Oyster
    Completely agree. I think it looks more sporty than dressy.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Personally not sure the AT is that much less dressy or really more tough and rugged than the OP
    Agree again.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Keep the OP. Buy a G Shock.
    And so I'd do exactly that.

Journeyman
    Of those two watches, I'd personally keep the OP. I do agree that a watch has to fit into your lifestyle - the watch purchases I find most frustrating are those where I love the watch itself, but just don't have the lifestyle or life circumstances that allow me to enjoy it fully. That being said, if this is a watch that you think you will be hanging on to longer term, the smarter/more classic OP might be a watch that you 'grow into' if you know what I mean.

If I were you I'd be really tempted to try on the new Explorer I.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If I were you I'd be really tempted to try on the new Explorer I.
    Don’t start him down that rabbit hole! We’ll be talking BB36 and Rangers into the early hours!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I agree with the lot: the OP and AT are 2 sides of a coin. Fairly similar in that they’re both capable of being the one watch you wear for everything.

I think the explorer sounds like it could suit your lifestyle better? Or even a dive watch. The dive bezel helps to tone down the formality. Something like a planet ocean or a seamaster. For a long time this seamaster was my only watch. I wore it on a strap on hikes / swims / long backpacking trips. Threw it back on a bracelet when I needed it to blend in at work.

Craftsman
    I’ve owned both and they both can do the job as one watch for pretty much any occasion.

In terms of amount of watch for the respective cost, then I’d say the AT wins out, plus you’d probably get a nice chunk of change out the sale of the OP given current values. If residuals are a big factor thought I’d keep the OP as that’s only going one way, and definitely not something you can say about the AT.

I think they are both do it all watches. From a dressy or sporty view (to use the jargon used on watch forums) the only difference to me is that the hands on the OP look a bit dressier. However from a functionality point of view both are fine for wearing to dinner, work, swimming, mountain walking, gardening etc...

The addition of the rubber strap for the AT gives more options. Don’t know why, but I always think that modern Rolex look weird on anything but the bracelet.

If I was in your situation and thinking about selling the OP to buy the AT, because I thought I would wear it more, that is what I would do. Price differential and residual values wouldn’t come into it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Never sell a Rolex for an Omega. Put the OP on rubber for a while and see how you get on with that.

https://tinyurl.com/68bz34ja
    Agreed.

I have watches from both stables, but would never sell a Rolex for an Omega.

However, based on your thought process, the AT looks more interesting and has a date. Can you have both? If the AT, then the one with green accents is really attractive.

To me the AT is the better looking and (slightly) more versatile watch.

Can’t argue with the argument that a Rolex is inherently more desirable to the average consumer (and the market as a whole) but to me that only counts if you’re buying / keeping with an eye firmly on selling or if you attach additional value to the brand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Investment keep the Rolex. For the best watch, change to the omega. Better looking dial, and case, better movement.
    This. Two different questions with two different answers. Depends what you want the watch to be.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Cheers for the feedback gents, all comments appreciated. I get the argument amount not selling a Rolex for an Omega, but I’m not especially bothered about residuals or the status attached to Rolex, I just want the right watch for me and my week to week life. I think the extra sportiness, better movement and the presence of a date is leaning me strongly toward the Omega. As beautiful as the OP is, I think I spend as much time admiring it as I do wearing it! I know some will find it daft, but I guess we all have our foibles - especially in this hobby.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Only thing I didn't like about the AT was the case height / chuckiness. That was the older Skyfall version

Master
    The bit about never selling a Rolex for an Omega seems strange
    A Latest Air King or a Milgaus sold to purchase a ‘71 or ‘69 Speedmaster, or Seamaster 300. for a watch enthusiast is a pretty reasonable deal I’d have thought .

Another thought could be go for an older version of the AT even a quartz version which really will be a go anywhere watch and that way you might be able to keep both. Cash allowing of course.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Folks. I have an OP39, pics below, and it’s a fantastic watch. My slight reservation is, I sometimes think it’s a bit too... ‘posh’ for my lifestyle. I don’t wear a suit or anything, just a polo and chinos to work and away from work I have young kids and do a fair amount of sporty stuff or camping, pub, garden with friends etc, basically I don’t lead a very formal lifestyle at all and the OP is a fairly formal watch.

End result is I don’t wear my OP much as I thought I would when I got it, so have been thinking of swapping for an AT, black, 38mm version simply because it’s a bit more sporty and rugged and I can see myself wearing it all the time. Plus, it has a date on it which has become of more and more importance to me.

AT advantages: arguably a better movement with METAS, better anti mag, longer power reserve, higher water resistance, bit more causal, has a date, rhodium plated hands and indices. I’d get it on bracelet but buy the rubber too.

OP advantages: Better bracelet and clasp (no PCLs or butterfly), beauty in simplicity, Rolex residuals especially associated with a discontinued model.

I dunno, am I being too picky or ridiculous? I know they are very similar and I really like the OP as a watch, it’s near perfect, but I feel the AT is more ‘me’ and I’d get more use out of it. I’m feeling like I can only really justify one main, expensive watch and I want to wear it all the time. But once the OP has gone it’s probably gone forever and I’ve had sellers remorse before and don’t want it again! Thoughts appreciated!

The only reason to hang on to a Rolex you don’t wear or that doesn’t sing to you is money. Simple as that.

So, accepting you would be selling an appreciating asset.... if that doesn’t bother you, go for it.

If you’d wear the AT and enjoy it more, I’d say it’s best to free up the money, buy what you want and enjoy it.