closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinion..Grand Seiko Elegance SBGR261.

Master

Opinion..Grand Seiko Elegance SBGR261.

Always liked them, but for the 'Seiko' on the dial.

This one however, looks something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68nsEMchKc

22D6BADD-3E15-4FC8-9C37-C1142E13C0D3 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dave in Wales; 1st May 2021 at 13:40.

Dislike the look of that GS, i would go so far as to say i have not seen an ugly GS but that comes close

I’ve fawned over that one before. Love the size. Don’t have the budget.

For me the pick of the brand are that model and the SBGM221.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’ve fawned over that one before. Love the size. Don’t have the budget.

For me the pick of the brand are that model and the SBGM221.
    SBGM221 toooooo busy for my taste.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Dislike the look of that GS, i would go so far as to say i have not seen an ugly GS but that comes close
    Looks nice in the youtube video. The above image does not do it justice. For some reason, manufactures or advertisers, use useless boring lifeless two dimensional images.
    Last edited by Tiny; 1st May 2021 at 15:06.

Fantastic watch. I've owned both configurations. The cream dial in the metal is superb and the bluesd seconds hand makes the watch.

One of the best GS IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Loses some elegance points for the case being so thick.

Official Grand Seiko images are some of the worst out there. They never do the watches justice. It WILL look much nicer in the metal.

As for it saying Seiko, so what? You're upset it has one of the most ground breaking names in horology on the dial? The brand is full of history and innovation that many other premium brands cannot come close to match.

Can you guess I have a GS? lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    After investigation this is starting to put me off.

It's 13mm approx. I have Nomos, which does the same thing, that is only 7mm thick.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Agreed, real shame about the thickness otherwise a lovely watch

Master
    I was in the GS boutique to look at various models - this one wasn’t even in my radar, but it totally caught my eye. In the metal it’s gorgeous, and the dial colour works so well, much better than any pictures.

I know beauty's in the eye of the beholder but how can you call that ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

Beautiful watches, but make sure you can stomach the unnecessary and inelegant case height - I don’t know why GS persist in undermining their designs with so much height. It’s the only thing that has stopped me buying one of these really.

Master
    Another interesting fact regarding Seiko is that every single part of their watches is made in house. Even the batteries for the quartz are made in-house. Is there another company doing that? All the springs, jewel bearings, sapphire crystals etc. It's pretty unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Another interesting fact regarding Seiko is that every single part of their watches is made in house. Even the batteries for the quartz are made in-house. Is there another company doing that? All the springs, jewel bearings, sapphire crystals etc. It's pretty unique.
    Hayashi Seiki?

Master
    Based on the pic, it's really very elegant indeed. This would be an improvement for me, though:

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Beautiful watches, but make sure you can stomach the unnecessary and inelegant case height - I don’t know why GS persist in undermining their designs with so much height. It’s the only thing that has stopped me buying one of these really.
    Indeed

Such lovely details, but such thickness!

Last year I had a look at a Mt Iwate dial GMT, lovely quality and details, but thicker than a Submariner, and not far off a Sea Dweller!

Considered the SBGW231 as a dressier watch, but 11.6mm thick and manual wind. My B&R Geneva is 10.5. I’m currently looking towards a Habring Felix, and although it doesn’t have the GS dial and hand details it’s about 7mm thick.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, going manual does help - but as you point out Dave, it’s still 10% taller than an auto.

For me, sticking with HAQ from Grand Seiko gives me two things: first, what I consider to be the brand’s definitive master movement in the 9F; second, case height that’s at least in the single digits!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Agreed, real shame about the thickness otherwise a lovely watch
    Yes. In a tool watch, thickness may be forgiveable, but I like a dress watch to be thinner. Nomos score well here.

Kind of like mine... A bit thick, but no slab slides, so not really obvious.

palace of nations locale crossword

Master
    Blog Entries

Opinion..Grand Seiko Elegance SBGR261.

Change the strap and lifts the whole package.

Master
    IMHO the hands looks a fraction short and weedy, like they came off a smaller watch. Those on Wooster's example or more like it.

Not defending their thickness but I think the domed crystal accounts for 2 of those Millimeters.

I have a sbgm221, which is lovely, but it’s absurd that my submarine feels thinner. That is not right.

Journeyman
    It is quite bizarre how poorly manufacturers present watches on their websites. It perhaps says something for Grand Seiko that the disparity between website images and the watches themselves is perhaps the greatest of all. That being said, in the flesh their watches (especially those with the desirable striking dials) just don't make sense to me. They are really formal/business watches but just too thick and inelegant for that. I imagine they are working towards thinner cases in the future - at least I hope so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    It is quite bizarre how poorly manufacturers present watches on their websites. It perhaps says something for Grand Seiko that the disparity between website images and the watches themselves is perhaps the greatest of all. That being said, in the flesh their watches (especially those with the desirable striking dials) just don't make sense to me. They are really formal/business watches but just too thick and inelegant for that. I imagine they are working towards thinner cases in the future - at least I hope so.
    I wonder if the underrated images are just another facet of Grand Seiko's policy of understatement. The specs quoted are generally far worse than the reality. When I visited the London Boutique, just after it opened, every watch looked amazing. The fit and finish as well as the feel were all top class. I would have been happy with any one (or more) of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    I guess part of the issue is that they have a lot of watches with display backs, which inevitably adds to the thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    Always liked them, but for the 'Seiko' on the dial.
    Funny have opinions differ. I love a lot of their designs, but prefer them with the simple "Seiko" branding, and would seek out a pre-facelift version over a GS branded one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Funny have opinions differ. I love a lot of their designs, but prefer them with the simple "Seiko" branding, and would seek out a pre-facelift version over a GS branded one.
    I also prefer the Seiko branding. I like the "under the radar" look. I can wear an expensive watch and everyone thinks it's a plain Seiko. Brilliant!