closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: If you've not moved your hi-fi for a while...

If you've not moved your hi-fi for a while...

You might be better off burning the house down or perhaps taking a few quid in used dollar bills and flying to South America.

I thought I'd done a reasonable job of wedging the fluffy duster under the power amp but it appears I was mistaken.

The inside of the amp isn't too bad. I was considering cleaning up in there but decided that, as it's all working, best leave it alone.

Not much better under the AV amp either

Yuk!

My amp alone weighs in at 23kg, so I tend not to move it unless I really have to tbh.

Cheers,
    Gary

Blog Entries
    Dirty boy

Master
    That’s what my set up always looked like so after loads of rows with the wife I went for an all in one a lot easier to keep clean

Not too bad I was expecting a dead rodent!

thats a good tactic , just leave it until the dust becomes thick enough to hoover off :)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    My amp alone weighs in at 23kg, so I tend not to move it unless I really have to tbh.
    This one's similar at 28.5kg so has only moved because I've had to.

I felt really proud when I bought it and it took 2 men in the shop to carry it to the car :-)

I think words with Mrs Gyp are required

I buy quite a few vintage amplifiers for my uncle. Some haven’t been opened since the 60s. Spider webs are standard. Most interesting was one that had a hole made by a rodent in the back wall and quite a lot of droppings inside along with some other bits indicating it was its home for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One day a long long time ago when my OH was out I wrote "DUST ME" on the TV much to the amusement of our 6yr old daughter.

I never thought anything of it again until about 20yrs later, a family gathering the subject of annoying habits came up and my missus said one of mine was that I keep writing "DUST ME" on the TV and how it really used to grind her gears. As much as I protested my innocence to rest of the female members turned on me and my OH then said to get her revenge she would do the dusting using a clean pair of my boxer shorts to dust with then return the offending pants to my underwear drawer.

Only then our daughter through tears of laughter confessed that she'd been the one who's written it down all through the years. Apparently she'd write with her finger then go over it again so it would look like someone with larger hands had done it.

Somewhat proud of my little girl but the same time worried about the woman I thought I trusted all these years.

Master
    I recently bought a new amp (Marantz KI PM Ruby) and thought it would be a good idea to clean under the unit and all the cables before connecting it up .. Ended up having a massive sneezing fit, felt really wheezy and didn't feel right again till the next day..
    found 2 quid under the unit though so not all bad!

If you've not moved your hi-fi for a while...

Each of my Beolab 5s weighs 61kg.

After Christmas I discovered a spider had taken residence in the chamber below the 15” inch subwoofer. When I got down to have a look there were cobwebs everywhere.

They get used too, so it must have been very deaf!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

After Christmas I discovered a spider had taken residence in the chamber below the 15” inch subwoofer. When I got down to have a look there were cobwebs everywhere.

My KEFs are merely 42kg each so are humbled by your Beolab 5s!

Doesn't it feel like you have Daleks in the room?

I have to say that part of the logic around my Hi-Fi is that it'll stay because Mrs Gyp can't lift any of it, however the mere suggestion that I didn't need to move it as she would carefully paint round it had me shifting it like a shot!

Blog Entries
    Similar experience when I swapped the HDD to SSD on my 10 year old iMac. Lot of dust in the fan. A good hovering fixed it (I jut hope the bearings last as Apple class it as obsolete). M

All the best from Rotel fan :-)
    RC+RB-990BX, RCD-971 and RA-972 MK2 in other room :-)

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

It wasn't Boris, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    My KEFs are merely 42kg each so are humbled by your Beolab 5s!

Doesn't it feel like you have Daleks in the room?

I have to say that part of the logic around my Hi-Fi is that it'll stay because Mrs Gyp can't lift any of it, however the mere suggestion that I didn't need to move it as she would carefully paint round it had me shifting it like a shot!
    It does indeed, but that’s part of the charm. I often sit at the dining table for Zoom calls, with one of them in the background just to spark some conversation. Someone recently asked if they were chocolate fountains, so I explained that I got them when Thornton’s shut. Not sure where that came from really - the chocolate would end up on the walls, surely?

Her: "What's on the tv tonight?"
    Me: "Dust."

That's when the fight started...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My main system weighs about 110kg all in so I’ve got a Ken Dodd style tickling stick to clean around it!

My pair of B&O Penta’s not moved since they were placed in 2018 same for the 9500 they’re connected to.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    My pair of B&O Penta’s not moved since they were placed in 2018 same for the 9500 they’re connected to.

I had some Beovox Pentas hooked up to a Beomaster 8000 for about 10 years or so.

I had to move them each year to dust underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    thats a good tactic , just leave it until the dust becomes thick enough to hoover off :)

“There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.”

Q.Crisp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    My main system weighs about 110kg all in so I’ve got a Ken Dodd style tickling stick to clean around it!
    I have one of those two. Extendable and washable. My amp weighs almost 60KG so it stays put.