closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ebay 80% off variable selling fees?

Craftsman

ebay 80% off variable selling fees?

Had email from ebay about 80% off selling fees offer. Anyone seen this offer before? Wondering if this is replacing the £1 selling fees offer.

It is a bit weird for sure, I was set it this morning as well.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

eBay is the new DFS. Does anyone ever pay full fees?

Saw the same email and was also wondering - the way I understand it is they'll take 80% off the final value fee.
    Not as good a deal as the £1 selling fee, and I hope they aren't replacing it. I'm not taking this offer up; if enough people do this I'm sure they'll revert to the £1 fee.

I was confused by 'variable eBay selling fees'? Why not say '80% off final value fees', uness it isn't that?

It's linked to the new way that eBay pays directly into your bank account, bypassing PayPal.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'd say it's replacing the £1 offer. I'm sure you will have had the notification now that funds for items sold will be paid direct to you bank account, and not PayPal. Whatever cut eBay used to get from PayPal is probably not on the table anymore. I guess they need to alter the £1 offer to supplement this loss. If that's the case, I'm ok with it, as overall the difference is likely negligible?

From memory at least, I think eBay charge a 10% final fee, and PayPal 4%. So all in 14%, or 4% + £1 if using the old offer.

Under the new way, nothing is paid to PayPal. I don't think eBay will charge for the bank transfer. Therefore total fees will be 10%, or 2% if using the 80% offer. Using my maths, the new offer is better.

***Update, having read eBay's new fee structure.***

Old way - assuming you use the £1 offer and PayPal. Fees will be 4% +£1. £50 sale = £3 in fees. £200 sale = £9 in fees.

New way - eBay final fee is 12.8% + 30p. Using the 80% offer, I make that 2.56% + 30p. £50 sale = £1.58 in fees. £200 sale = £5.42 in fees.

I'm quite bored at work today!
    Last edited by SeanST150; 30th April 2021 at 11:20.

I got the offer this morning, too - would of prefered the max £1 seller fees, though....

I had to `upgrade` to `managed` payments to get the offer, we`ll all have to do that at some point to continue selling on ebay so i might as well do it now.

Has anyone got the max £1 offer recently - i haven`t had it for about 2 months now..?

I`ve now got 2 grands worth of useless junk rare and highly valuable classic motorcycle spare parts listed.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post

Under the new way, nothing is paid to PayPal. I don't think eBay will charge for the bank transfer. Therefore total fees will be 10%, or 2% if using the 80% offer. Using my maths, the new offer is better.
    Agree.

Under the old promotion using PayPal it was 2.9% plus £0.30 plus the £1.00 final value fee. This offer equates to 2.56% via ebays managed payments plus the £0.30.

You do lose out if you are receiving “cash on collection” though.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I got the offer this morning, too - would of prefered the max £1 seller fees, though....

I had to `upgrade` to `managed` payments to get the offer, we`ll all have to do that at some point to continue selling on ebay so i might as well do it now.

Has anyone got the max £1 offer recently - i haven`t had it for about 2 months now..?

I`ve now got 2 grands worth of useless junk rare and highly valuable classic motorcycle spare parts listed.
    I had the offer 2 weeks ago, seemed account specific on that occasion though as my wife didn't have the promotion.

Craftsman
    Its actually cheaper than accepting the £1 offer with paypal fees or not much in it anyway.

80% off ebay fees , you no longer get paypal payments , the paypal payments are paid to ebay instead and ebay release fees to your bank so you no longer have paypal fees.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Agree.

Under the old promotion using PayPal it was 2.9% plus £0.30 plus the £1.00 final value fee. This offer equates to 2.56% via ebays managed payments plus the £0.30.

You do lose out if you are receiving “cash on collection” though.
    Yep, I think they are trying take the low seller fees up to where they were before or there abouts, where the £1 seller fee also had the Paypal fees etc as stated. When they recently moved to the new payments system it literally was a £1 sellers fee and nothing else, I had the £1 offer on 2nd April and 16th April, sold five items and paid £1 in total on each.

I had been waiting weeks for the £1 offer without it coming and clearly this 80% deal this weekend is a bribe to get you to move across to the new banking system.

Problem is you have to move in a months time anyway if you want to carry on using e-bay, so it might be worth accepting the offer and get some stuff listed.

I used to get the £1 selling fees offer pretty much every fortnight up until two weeks ago, but got the 80% offer this morning. I've been using the ebay payment method instead of PayPal for a few months, so not sure this is actually a better offer as I haven't been paying PayPal fees for a while.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

I had the £1 fees offer 2 weeks ago and today the 80%

Reckon have had the £1 offer every 2 weeks for the last year, the only time I didn’t about 6 weeks
    ago I was expecting it and had 3 drafts ready to list, made me wonder if you have saved drafts
    you don’t get it. I deleted them and 2 weeks later got the offer again.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post

Reckon have had the £1 offer every 2 weeks for the last year, the only time I didn’t about 6 weeks
    ago I was expecting it and had 3 drafts ready to list, made me wonder if you have saved drafts
    That’s what I think. Haven’t had the offer for past 3-4 weeks since I saved some drafts ready to go. Always used to miss the offers because nothing was ready.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Although the initial reaction is to think that the new 80% offer is worse than the £1 selling fees it is actually better (see the maths a few posts higher).
    Also I have sold a couple of items since transitioning to the new payout system and it worked very smoothly.

Craftsman
    I don't see how the 80% off selling fees is better than the £1 selling fees. I sold 2 pieces last weekend using the £1 selling fees and paid a total of £1 for each watch in fees. I have been using ebay managed payments for a while now.

If I sell a watch for £3000 I would only pay £1 in fees. Under the 80% offer the fees would equate to approx £384 - 80% which would be £76 for fees.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    I don't see how the 80% off selling fees is better than the £1 selling fees. I sold 2 pieces last weekend using the £1 selling fees and paid a total of £1 for each watch in fees. I have been using ebay managed payments for a while now.

If I sell a watch for £3000 I would only pay £1 in fees. Under the 80% offer the fees would equate to approx £384 - 80% which would be £76 for fees.
    But no PayPal fees, which you would be paying under the £1 system. (Unless cash on collection of course)

Just read the ebay uk fees list which states final value fee of 10% and a max cap per sale of £250.

By my reckoning this means 20% of £250 which is £50 or am I misreading?

Master

You simply benefited from the transitional period when you were able to benefit from the £1 fee and no PayPal fee. That was never going to last and only probably existed whilst eBay continued to transition accounts to the new managed payments (which I think they are still doing).

I agree with other posts above, the new 80% offer (with no PayPal) is better than the old system of £1 plus PayPal fees.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    But no PayPal fees, which you would be paying under the £1 system. (Unless cash on collection of course)
    Indeed.....you have to take into account that you will no longer be paying PayPal fees.

I spoke to eBay today and the 10% final value fee up to a maximum of £250 is ONLY available to those eBay users who haven’t got managed payments set up.

So yes it’s a way of getting those who haven’t signed up to managed payments to do so.

The 80% offer was not available to those who have not signed up to managed payments.

Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I crumbled today and moved across to the new banking system. It was going to happen anyway in a few weeks so might as well take advantage of the 80% offer.

^^as did i, and i sold my first item under the`managed payments`system this evening.
    Seems weird not having the funds in PP straightaway, but i`m sure it`ll work out just fine..!

And yes - you pay less fees with PP out of the equation combined with the 80% deal than you would have with the Max £1 offer and accepting PP as payment.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 30th April 2021 at 21:14.

Blog Entries
    How do you sign up to managed payments?

There are some idiots on e-bay. Just had a message asking why I was asking £675 when the Watch could be bought from Chronomaster for £625.

Answer: it's not the same watch

Journeyman

Me too.
    I remember when you got bargains on ebay, now only sell if its a £1 FVF promotion, not worth it otherwise.
    Gotta be careful of the item automatically relisting though, very sly trick they try as the £1 fee doesnt apply to relisted items

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    You simply benefited from the transitional period when you were able to benefit from the £1 fee and no PayPal fee. That was never going to last and only probably existed whilst eBay continued to transition accounts to the new managed payments (which I think they are still doing).

I agree with other posts above, the new 80% offer (with no PayPal) is better than the old system of £1 plus PayPal fees.

Ah right, this makes sense. i think I was just lucky that I was in process of selling stuff during this transitional period and wasn't paying the PayPal fees

Just sold my first watch under the new system. e-mail from e-bay telling me that the buyer has paid and that I am to post the Watch (on Tue when the PO reopens). No details yet about how much the fees are and how much they will pass to me - nothing.

Do you get anything or does a lump of cash eventually appear in your bank.

Anyone sold under the new system?

There is a new “payments” tab in My EBay, Ken. In there you can see the payment schedules and transaction values etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Just sold my first watch under the new system. e-mail from e-bay telling me that the buyer has paid and that I am to post the Watch (on Tue when the PO reopens). No details yet about how much the fees are and how much they will pass to me - nothing.

Do you get anything or does a lump of cash eventually appear in your bank.

Anyone sold under the new system?
    Go to the payments section and the payment will be under 'processing' for a day or so. The figure will be minus the FVF and the managed payments fee, in other words, the total you will receive. You can see what these amounts are by clicking on it. You can opt to be paid daily or every Tuesday, I'veopted for Tuesday rather than having dribs and drabs going in.
    Every time I've sold something on a Sunday, it has been processed and is marked available by the Monday afternoon, and I've been paid on the Tuesday without fail.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    There is a new “payments” tab in My EBay, Ken. In there you can see the payment schedules and transaction values etc.

Thank you very much, found it. Don't you think e-bay would either mention this or include a link when they tell you that a payment has been made.

Sold a watch for £610.00 inc delivery, the fees are £15.92 and the balance to me is £594.08

Under the old system 4% PayPal fees on £610.00 would be £24.40 plus the old £1 fee - so £25.40

Therefore nearly £10 better off under this new system and offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Go to the payments section and the payment will be under 'processing' for a day or so. The figure will be minus the FVF and the managed payments fee, in other words, the total you will receive. You can see what these amounts are by clicking on it. You can opt to be paid daily or every Tuesday, I'veopted for Tuesday rather than having dribs and drabs going in.
    Every time I've sold something on a Sunday, it has been processed and is marked available by the Monday afternoon, and I've been paid on the Tuesday without fail.
    Thanks

Master
    I find it more confusing without PayPal to track!

Well I have to say after giving it a go, I like it.

I moved across last Friday and qualified for the 80% off fees offer and listed a few watches. Sold one on Sat and one on Sun. Both had immediate payment by the buyers with an instruction from e-bay for me to post after the bank holiday. I posted yesterday morning and updated the tracking. By yesterday afternoon the funds were shown as processed and ready for release.

This morning I get an e-mail telling me funds have now been transferred and to expect 0-4 days for it to hit my account. I was on the banking app before for something else and the money is in.

I'm still getting used to all the info in the sellers hub and working out how to quickly get to the pages that I want, but my first go on the new system gets a thumbs up from me

Here's a question for the sellers.

How long do buyers now have to claim their money back. Everyone used to hate that 180 day thing on PayPal, but I don't recall seeing anything under this new system.

Any ideas - just out of interest.

You can still pay with PayPal on EBay, I do, so you still get PayPal buyer protection but that is if there is an issue
    with the transaction, pretty much the same as EBay system.
    The buyer could use their Credit card via PayPal as well so could then try and get them to issue a charge back.
    Nothing has changed here as you never knew how the buyer was funding the PayPal transaction before.

I don't know if it is to do with the new payment system, but something else that has changed for the better is the unpaid item process. I sold something Sunday morning, the buyer didn't pay, and today ebay automatically cancelled the sale in my favour. I think it used to be four days before you could even open a case and then another four days or more for the buyer to respond.

You can still pay with PayPal on EBay, I do, so you still get PayPal buyer protection but that is if there is an issue
    with the transaction, pretty much the same as EBay system.
    The buyer could use their Credit card via PayPal as well so could then try and get them to issue a charge back.
    Nothing has changed here as you never knew how the buyer was funding the PayPal transaction before.
    Yes the buyers can still use PayPal and have the same buyers protection as before, but as a seller when money was credited from a purchase it used to say the buyer has up to 180 days to claim back their money should they think they need to, which is excessive by any standards. Under this new system e-bay have credited my bank account and I'm sure buyers are still protected, but for how long? 28 days etc. I just haven't seen that 180 day thing mentioned since switching over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Yes the buyers can still use PayPal and have the same buyers protection as before, but as a seller when money was credited from a purchase it used to say the buyer has up to 180 days to claim back their money should they think they need to, which is excessive by any standards. Under this new system e-bay have credited my bank account and I'm sure buyers are still protected, but for how long? 28 days etc. I just haven't seen that 180 day thing mentioned since switching over.
    I don’t remember seeing 180 days on any PayPal payments I received, any case Ebays buyer protection/money back
    guarantee if you have an issue with the item or don’t receive it you have to contact the seller within 30 days of delivery or estimated delivery if you haven’t received it.
    If you haven’t solved the issue after 3 business days you can get EBay to step in .
    Only had to use this once when something I had bought seemed to have got lost by the courier but seller went
    quiet on me (I could see on tracking he had raised a claim) and obviously didn’t want to refund me before he
    knew what the courier would do, I contacted EBay and within 2 days I had a full refund from EBay. How they dealt
    with this seller on this I don’t know.

Received a sellers offer this morning from eBay - Max £3 fees.

Assuming managed payments and the latest 12.8%+ 0.3 final value fee:

Looks like under the new £3 deal you will pay more in fees compared to the old Max £1 offer for the lower value items.

The new offer only kicks in at ~£22 and even then you pay more in fees than you would with the previous Paypal plus Max £1 offer.

You`ll only start to see less fees under this new offer at items sold at ~£54 or over where the fees on the Max £3 offer become lower than they would on the old £1 offer + PP.

I wonder if the `80% off` deal was a one-time only offer to lure folk to managed payments?
    I`ve done OK on the 80% deal since its been active and have sold a few motorbicycle bits that will go into the new TIG welder fund...

Yes I received the same offer today and decided that I'd only flog a few higher value £50 - 200. bits and bobs.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman

Assuming managed payments and the latest 12.8%+ 0.3 final value fee:

Looks like under the new £3 deal you will pay more in fees compared to the old Max £1 offer for the lower value items.

The new offer only kicks in at ~£22 and even then you pay more in fees than you would with the previous Paypal plus Max £1 offer.

You`ll only start to see less fees under this new offer at items sold at ~£54 or over where the fees on the Max £3 offer become lower than they would on the old £1 offer + PP.

I wonder if the `80% off` deal was a one-time only offer to lure folk to managed payments?
    I`ve done OK on the 80% deal since its been active and have sold a few motorbicycle bits that will go into the new TIG welder fund...

Better than the offer I got this morning! 50% of variable fees...
    Can't say I like this WTP testing ebay is doing.
    Bring back £1 max fees!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oconnorp View Post
    Bring back £1 max fees!
    I got the same offer through. Definitely agree on not enjoying being the eBay beta-testers! I've got a few items to sell but will wait for a better deal (I was sent the 80% off one too but think I must've invalidated it as I followed the link from an earlier email about setting up my bank details, which meant when I followed the offer link it told me I didn't qualify!)

Quote Originally Posted by oconnorp View Post
    Bring back £1 max fees!
    You`ll be slightly better off on items that sell for up to £30, then after that the 50% off deal fees overtake what you would of got on the £1 + PP offer.

These ebay folk ain`t daft, are they....

I`m finding managed payments OK, but it`s odd waiting for the payouts to arrive days after selling an item, and i keep checking to make sure they`ve landed in my bank account.

Master

Me too. They must be struggling!!

I had the same offer, but now have nothing to sell. I tend to only list something that's over £100 in value anyway, I just couldn't be bothered going round the house looking for stuff to list for £5, £10 or £20 etc. I know it all adds up, but going to the Post Office these days is a complete PITA. Sell a watch for £350 and somehow the pain and grief is worth it

I didn’t receive any offer which is a PIA as have something to list, not sure if to wait another 2 weeks to see
    if I get the next one or just list it anyway, it’s not selling on here so far.