closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rain Water - Charges ?

Master

Rain Water - Charges ?

Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know how wastewater is measured ? I see this charge on the bill..

The reason I ask is that if they measure everything going out of a property - does that mean they are charging for the rain water that goes down the drains ?

I don’t think it gets measured,I think it’s a monthly fee.
    My dad fitted water butts to all his down pipes ,and informed them and now he doesn’t pay it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For industry, the water supplier will measure the water going in via the meter, and assume the same amount of water will leave the property as waste.
    It's a double whammy.

If the charge is for residential, the calculation will be the same.
    water in = water out.

Edit - I posted before the reply above.
    The answer may be dependant on the property being residential or commercial / metered or none metered.
    Last edited by Reeny; 29th April 2021 at 22:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    For industry, the water supplier will measure the water going in, and assume the same amount of water will leave the property as waste.
    It's a double whammy.

If the charge is for residential, the calculation will be the same.
    water in = water out.
    My Father said he used a lot of water in the garden (which he did) and received a reduction for waste water. Not sure all companies will do this.

It's not measured, they just assume what goes in must come out. The reason the charge is split between in and out is that some people, like me, don't have mains waste, so we only pay the 'in' bit

Quote Originally Posted by brendano View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know how wastewater is measured ? I see this charge on the bill..

The reason I ask is that if they measure everything going out of a property - does that mean they are charging for the rain water that goes down the drains ?
    Rainwater shouldn't go down the drain as it is clean. Your gutters won't (or shouldn't) be plumbed into your drains.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Rainwater shouldn't go down the drain as it is clean. Your gutters won't (or shouldn't) be plumbed into your drains.
    Depends on how old your house is surely?

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I don’t think it gets measured,I think it’s a monthly fee.
    My dad fitted water butts to all his down pipes ,and informed them and now he doesn’t pay it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Catching rainwater is something we only did recently too.

Some do.

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/nonhousehol...surface-water/

Master
    Mine does as does nearly all of the town I live in. There is no seperate system in this area for rainwater so it all goes down the one pipe to the sewage treatment plant. It is an old town and that's how it was built.

Wastewater (sewage) is charged for if you are connected to the sewer system. My old metered supply was charged at 90% of 'water in' was charged for as 'water out'.

There can also be an additional charge for surface water (rainwater) if your gutters/rainwater gullies are connected to the public surface water drainage system also. You should not pay this charge if your surface water is all connected to a soakaway on your own property, ie is not disposed of into t he public sewer system.

If the supplying water company is different from the waste water company, the supplying company often recover the money on behalf of the sewage company.

I hope that made sense!

I believe for those that don't get rid of all their wastewater down a sewer, you can get a rebate on your water bill. This applies to people like pond-owners.

Master
    Blog Entries

Rain Water - Charges ?

I don’t have waste water as I am not on a main sewer. It roughly half’s the bill. The bit that gets me is that he rates are based on the type of property and despite the house being modest I have to pay top band as it’s detached. Far bigger houses round here pay less as they are semi. I pay similar to my old house in a sewer main with waste water.
    Last edited by Middo; 3rd May 2021 at 15:20.

Master
    all i have to say is that I am now pissed off with the water companies. Rip off merchants !!

Quote Originally Posted by brendano View Post
    all i have to say is that I am now pissed off with the water companies. Rip off merchants !!
    Why?
    Surely they are just charging for the facilities you use in order to cover their maintenance, infrastructure and staff costs etc, similar to every utility supplier.