closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chr Ward, quite a nice selection here, I do like the C63 39mm black dial.....

Intrigued by the elite

Maybe not enough to spend £1000 instead of a damasko or Sinn or similar but it’s different

They need to remove the Christopher. It’s just such an everyday, unglamorous name - it’s like having Gary or Ian on the dial (or David I might add, not intending to offend all the Gary’s and Ian’s out there!😂)

If they just altered it to ‘Ward’ and discretely incorporated that word somehow into the twin flag logo which itself is pretty cool, then they’d be onto a winner.

The GMT has had a bit of stick for being an Exp II rip off, but the only similarity I’m seeing the more I look is the white and orange or black and orange colour scheme. Other than that it’s design is much closer to the GS F9 Quartz GMT; it has totally different hands and indices to the Rolex, date at 6, no cyclops, different proportions. There’s obviously a gentle nod, but nothing more than that.
    Last edited by davidj54; 1st May 2021 at 09:54.

My white dial three-hander on hybrid strap arrived this morning. Initial thoughts are that it's stunning! I had three concerns about this watch; the 39mm case size, the legibility of the hands against the white dial and the orange-ness of the orange. None of these concerns were justified as the orange is no more than a slight accent of orange, the hands are very legible indeed and it feels more like a 40/41mm on the wrist!

The crown action is lovely, as is the decorated rotor that's visibly through the clear casebook. The mix of polished and satin edges is perfect. It's also nice to not have to think about whether the chapter ring and bezel pip line up on a watch.

I would have liked the bracelet version but plumbed for the hybrid black strap as it kept the price to £495 and I can always add the bracelet later if I feel the need.

The presentation box and packaging is fantastic and a really nice touch is the hand written and personalised guarantee card.

I feel this is a brand that just knows how to do it right.

Some pics:

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 1st May 2021 at 19:35.

I really like these and fit exactly what I’m looking for at the moment, and right budget and apparently
    excellent quality. But, every time I see a picture the ‘Christopher’ just jumps straight out at me and
    spoils it, think it’s partly the size and font.
    I know they can’t suddenly change their name but really should change the branding on the watches maybe
    to just ‘CW’ or reduce the size and change the font. Reading this thread reckon it would give a boost to their sales.
    Recently told my Son he should be setting his sights higher than a Daniel Wellington watch but at least
    they seem to to have done a better job of branding using their name although not sure about the reversed ‘DW’

Last edited by TBKBABAB; 2nd May 2021 at 13:05.

Master
    I have found the name and logo unnoticeable on the wrist. They (only) stand out online, but internet photos don’t show how things look in the metal.

I agree, I never notice it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I have found the name and logo unnoticeable on the wrist. They (only) stand out online, but internet photos don’t show how things look in the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Maybe but as they only have one showroom which is nowhere near me, or a lot of people, there isn’t much else to go on except internet images or videos and they must realise this. They use CW as a term sometimes themselves so why not use it on the watches.

I tried my WatchGecko Anvil bracelet that has fit every 20mm watch I've had on it today and guess what....it fits:

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    They need to remove the Christopher. It’s just such an everyday, unglamorous name - it’s like having Gary or Ian on the dial (or David I might add, not intending to offend all the Gary’s and Ian’s out there!😂)

If they just altered it to ‘Ward’ and discretely incorporated that word somehow into the twin flag logo which itself is pretty cool, then they’d be onto a winner.

The GMT has had a bit of stick for being an Exp II rip off, but the only similarity I’m seeing the more I look is the white and orange or black and orange colour scheme. Other than that it’s design is much closer to the GS F9 Quartz GMT; it has totally different hands and indices to the Rolex, date at 6, no cyclops, different proportions. There’s obviously a gentle nod, but nothing more than that.
    Thanks for exactly articulating my thoughts.

I’ve long thought that Ward would be a 100x better brand name than Christopher Ward.

Also agree that the twin flag logo is a great piece of graphic design.

Master
    I too prefer ‘Ward’ over ‘Christopher Ward’. But in a recent YouTube interview, Mike France reported that CW’s sales had increased around 30% over the last year. Consequently, I doubt he feels the need for CW to change a lot (brand name included).

Either way, I find the name unnoticeable when the watch is on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Also agree that the twin flag logo is a great piece of graphic design.
    +1

I think there will be quite a few people like myself in that you really need to handle one of the latest CW’s to appreciate them. I had no interest in the brand up until the Super Compressor. I agree that the name/ logo could be better but it’s rare that a watch is perfect in every sense.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

All this talk about name and logo is much ado about nothing. CW are going from strength to strength and I always look forward to their offerings.

Master
    All of this recent love for CW has inspired me to dig out my early model C6 Kingfisher. It's showing the signs of being my one (and only) daily wearer for a good few years and apart from the fact it was a present from my wife, it's one of the few watches I still have a fondness for and couldn't sell (despite it being a big old chunk of steel and too big for my tastes these days).

Even though I'd stopped wearing it regularly by that stage, when I ballsed up a battery change and fried the movement I sent if off to Paul (walkerwek1958) who did a grand job of swapping out the quartz movement completely and filled in the lume pip that had fallen out at some point. A few years before that, when it inexplicably started gaining a lot of time, CW took it in (even though I think it was just out of warranty), replaced the movement and sent it back, all gratis. Great communication and customer service throughout if I recall.

And of course a pic

Andy

Craftsman
    Couldn’t help myself. Just ordered the black dial GMT on the hybrid rubber strap. Pics when it arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    Couldn’t help myself. Just ordered the black dial GMT on the hybrid rubber strap. Pics when it arrives!
    The exact model I’m interested in, keen to hear your views when it turns up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Hope you lot buying are remembering the £100 discount code 100LOUPE21. I just tried it and it’s still valid.

Master
    Am thinking of the polar GMT. Was looking at the Mido Ocean Star GMT but buying from the EU seems like too much faff on the VAT front. CW also seem to get praised for their customer service.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Much prefer the CW logo and smaller Christopher Ward on this one, think they should switch back to this.
    I’m trying to convince myself to try one, very interested to see some real life photos of the black GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    All of this recent love for CW has inspired me to dig out my early model C6 Kingfisher. It's showing the signs of being my one (and only) daily wearer for a good few years and apart from the fact it was a present from my wife, it's one of the few watches I still have a fondness for and couldn't sell (despite it being a big old chunk of steel and too big for my tastes these days).

Even though I'd stopped wearing it regularly by that stage, when I ballsed up a battery change and fried the movement I sent if off to Paul (walkerwek1958) who did a grand job of swapping out the quartz movement completely and filled in the lume pip that had fallen out at some point. A few years before that, when it inexplicably started gaining a lot of time, CW took it in (even though I think it was just out of warranty), replaced the movement and sent it back, all gratis. Great communication and customer service throughout if I recall.

And of course a pic

Andy

Craftsman
    That looks a great combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Thanks. I was thinking about buying the bracelet for it but this one's fine, plus the OEM one has a long first link from the end-piece (like the Seiko Samurai bracelet) which I'm not keen on. I've ordered a black shell cordovan leather from Watch Obsession for another option.

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    That looks a great combination.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Much prefer the CW logo and smaller Christopher Ward on this one, think they should switch back to this.
    Me too, but they won't revert back to it. I think they had issues with Chronoswiss over the logo similarity if memory serves and was the reason they changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Me too, but they won't revert back to it. I think they had issues with Chronoswiss over the logo similarity if memory serves and was the reason they changed it.
    I was looking at tridents and found a review showing mks 1/2/3 together and they all have different versions,
    the mk2 has Chr WARD which I also think looks better so they certainly aren’t adverse to changing.

On a lovely RIOS shell cordovan:

Journeyman
    Some tasty very well made watches but could never pull the trigger with that trident counter balance seconds hand.

Reminiscent of the Omega bond watches with the 007 seconds hand tack.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlee89 View Post
    Some tasty very well made watches but could never pull the trigger with that trident counter balance seconds hand.

That's been my feeling too with every release apart from my one which I posted a picture of earlier in the thread. I've not been overly keen on the hands they've used on their watches, both these new 'arrow' minute hand and the earlier 'teardrop' style. A shame given they have a lot of other features going for them aesthetically and in build quality, supported by the customer service.

In all honesty I never see it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee89 View Post

Just ordered the white dial GMT on bracelet, used the promo code and got it for £800 instead of £900 so thanks to the person that posted that below. Out of stock at present, current orders expected for late June. Will post some pics etc up when it lands next month.

Master
    Am due delivery of the black dialed GMT on leather today. Will see if I can sneak a photo - it's for my birthday later this month so Mrs HP might spirit away.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    A quick sneak peak before putting it away...

Apologies for the quality. Size is spot on for me.

Better pics later in the month.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Looks good. Still waiting on mine, only realised after ordering they were out of stock and would be end of May delivery. D’oh.

I keep coming back to this thread, the white dial GMT is very tempting

Honestly I think my white dial auto is class. I wore it for ten straight days and I never do that. Everything about it is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Yeah, now I’ve ordered I’m looking forward to getting it. I knew I wanted one, but faffed around and now won’t get delivery til end of June - they must be selling like hot cakes. Can see why when you look at what you’re getting for you money - I’d go for it while the £100 off code is still valid if I were you mate.

Pic credit to Bowl of Salmon on IG, really does look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great there....

Hmmm

Craftsman
    The more I see the white dial, the more I regret ordering the black one. Sod it, I'm going to email them now and request a change!

Gave into temptation tonight and ordered the white dialed GMT.

2nd GMT I've bought this year after the steinhart 39mm.

Bit of a pointless complication given the fact I'll not be leaving the country for the foreseeable.

Master
    The white GMT looks super sharp on this YouTube video. I think the extra orange hand and 24 hour bezel really sets it apart. Very Explorer II. This is my pick of the range.

https://youtu.be/-wuKhVzsWkw
    Last edited by oiljam; 18th May 2021 at 19:51.

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting that video. Confident I made the right decision in changing my order to the white dial now.

Master
    I've owned quite a few Cw watches and always found them to be excellent build quality and very well priced. BUT they do seem to have a problem getting their gmt hands to synch correctly. I would have bought a 63 white gmt but after seeing their promotional video for the gmt model they don't seem to be able to find a correctly synched hand even for that!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I've owned quite a few Cw watches and always found them to be excellent build quality and very well priced. BUT they do seem to have a problem getting their gmt hands to synch correctly. I would have bought a 63 white gmt but after seeing their promotional video for the gmt model they don't seem to be able to find a correctly synched hand even for that!!!
    Can you explain what a correctly synched GMT is?

I assume he means that it doesn't lag. I can't think of another explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Can you explain what a correctly synched GMT is?

Master
    I assume he means that it doesn't lag. I can't think of another explanation.
    That's what I was thinking but after watching at least two independent reviews, the hand seems fine and so I thought perhaps I was missing something? I know there have been issues with the hands not lining up at twelve with other brands, which then means the GMT is always slightly off.

I had a Davosa like that and it drove me mental.

That's what I was thinking but after watching at least two independent reviews, the hand seems fine and so I thought perhaps I was missing something? I know there have been issues with the hands not lining up at twelve with other brands, which then means the GMT is always slightly off.

Master
    I had a Davosa like that and it drove me mental.
    I can imagine. I think Steinhart are the other brand that has had this issue, from memory. It's a difficult one when buying online as I can't imagine they would check prior to shipping even if you asked. The C63 is very good value overall I must say.

The C63 is very good value overall I must say.
    It demonstrates just how much bricks and mortars retailers overheads add to the cost of a watch, and what great bargains you can get if you skip this way of buying.

Not knocking bricks and mortar retailers. Life would be very dull without them.

I think with Steinhart they probably would check. There's been a few issues with the TF Dreadnaught Voyager and I'm sure Eddie would check for a customer, he's checked bezel alignment for me in the past.

I can imagine. I think Steinhart are the other brand that has had this issue, from memory. It's a difficult one when buying online as I can't imagine they would check prior to shipping even if you asked. The C63 is very good value overall I must say.

Master
    I think with Steinhart they probably would check. There's been a few issues with the TF Dreadnaught Voyager and I'm sure Eddie would check for a customer, he's checked bezel alignment for me in the past.
    That's good to know and worth bearing in mind.

I had a Steinhart GMT which was bang on out of the box, but the 24hr hand developed 'lazyitis' over a few months. I think it's movement-related.

There was short thread about lagging GMTs -

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hand-alignment
    ______

​Jim.

Anyone not need their Sealander bracelet? If you'd sell yours, let me know please.

Cheers.