closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chr Ward, quite a nice selection here, I do like the C63 39mm black dial.....

Blog Entries

Chr Ward, quite a nice selection here, I do like the C63 39mm black dial.....

https://www.christopherward.com/spor...U,HCPA7,VJ5W,1

Clever guys at very sensible prices....

I like those a lot and agree with you on the 39mm black dial. Having recently owned my first CW I can say the quality was fantastic so this is very tempting indeed.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 29th April 2021 at 11:05.

Craftsman
    Very nice and clean dials i like these a lot and yes the black dials are very nice.

The case shape is very neat. I quite like the white dia,l though I wonder how well the hands would stand out.

Black dial GMT on bracelet looks really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They do some nice watches, but unfortunately I struggle with watches that have a persons name on them like CW and others. I'm fine with a non descript brand name, but if that brand is named after a specific person then I couldn't wear the watch. Totally stupid and irrational I know, but we all have our idiosyncrasies.

I do have a Dyson vacumn cleaner though, but rarely wear it on the wrist

Not irrational at all, I felt the same until I tried one earlier this year. And actually, there's loads of Smiths around ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    They do some nice watches, but unfortunately I struggle with watches that have a persons name on them like CW and others. I'm fine with a non descript brand name, but if that brand is named after a specific person then I couldn't wear the watch. Totally stupid and irrational I know, but we all have our idiosyncrasies.

Journeyman
    That model along with the Dartmouth and The Super Compressor do look lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Not irrational at all, I felt the same until I tried one earlier this year. And actually, there's loads of Smiths around ;)
    To clarify, I think I mean full names. I do have a Steinhart, but it doesn't say Gunter Steinhart on the dial, so using the same logic Smiths are fine. Dan Henry, Hugo Boss and Christopher Ward are a step too far for me though, not that anyone who is a member of a watch forum would admit owning a Hugo Boss watch.

They do look to be well priced, particularly when the £100 voucher is used.

The quality has improved over the years. In particular the current range of cases are very well executed. Add the point that they do QR bracelets, which also have an on the wrist quick adjustment and well finished dials, what’s not to like.

Particularly now that moving the date to 6 has given them the excuse to justify moving the logo back to 12.

The current £100 discount voucher code is 100Loupe21.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan*S View Post
    That model along with the Dartmouth and The Super Compressor do look lovely.
    I have both of those and they are rather good.

Blog Entries

So, no Jaeger, Cartier, Audemars, Moser, Ferrari, Mercedes, Lamborghini etc etc ??

That never bothers me, if the product is good enough

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    So, no Jaeger, Cartier, Audemars, Moser, Ferrari, Mercedes, Lamborghini etc etc ??

I'll make an exception for Capt. Morgan

Master

This is my thing. Totally. And a friend when I was a kid was Christopher Ward. It seems daft having his name on a watch.

This is actually my two greatest (broken record) gripes. Christopher Ward as a name on good watches. And Bremont with 'London' on the dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post

Those are names that invent or led stuff. Same with Adidas. Doesn't really apply to Christopher Ward. And I doubt you'd like the product if the producer was Tim Longknob.

Master
    When I think Christopher Ward really dropped the ball was the they did the watches for Morgan Cars, and still insisted on having Christopher Ward on the dial! That was...🙈

Master
    I'm liking these a lot. With a £100 off voucher, I might consider one of these as a daily driver.
    I'm not too keen on the trident on the second hand, but that's just a minor niggle. They've even managed to centralise the branding on the dial.

Does anybody know if the GMT has a true GMT movement?
    Last edited by klunk; 29th April 2021 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I'm liking these a lot. With a £100 off voucher, I might consider one of these as a daily driver.
    I'm not too keen on the trident on the second hand, but that's just a minor niggle. They've even managed to centralise the branding on the dial.

Does anybody know if the GMT has a true GMT movement?
    No, that will be an ETA 2893-2 clone, so jumping hour is on the gmt and not the hour hand.

I think they look really nice, even if they're quite inspired...

But I think that will be a treat on the wrist when you think about it: ch ward quality, good bracelet, 39mm, fairly short lug to lug...

Journeyman
    This is my problem when deciding what to buy next.
    Do I stick with the lower end of the market and buy another Longines or get one of the Christopher Ward's I mentioned earlier? Or the more likely outcome is I'd buy both of these.

Or do I go with the watch I've wanted to own for a long time, the Speedmaster Pro?

I might have to start 500 threads on here asking this question in slightly different ways.

Don't worry, I wont.

Some pretty decent offerings I’d say, right price, good sizing, quality will be excellent, what’s not to like? Oh, maybe the weird hidden crown on the elite, looks like part of the watch is missing! Technically funky though.....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Black or white?

Black or white?

Hmmm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    And a friend when I was a kid was Christopher Ward. It seems daft having his name on a watch.
    Ditto.

I liked him, but don't need to be reminded of him every time I look at the time!

Am I alone in thinking that the GMTs look like the illegitimate offspring of a one night stand between an Explorer II & a GS SBGNxx?
    ______

​Jim.

No you aren't alone. Very nice bastard child though.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Am I alone in thinking that the GMTs look like the illegitimate offspring of a one night stand between an Explorer II & a GS SBGNxx?

Master
    No you aren't alone. Very nice bastard child though.
    No you’re not alone, nothing original there but still a nice looking piece for what they are asking

No you’re not alone, nothing original there but still a nice looking piece for what they are asking
    I've just this week picked up a GS SBGN003 and the likeness on first glance is very strong. I know what people mean about the name but it doesn't bother me, a few years ago I bought their first model with the "in-house" movement from Synergies Horlogères, the SH21, that was a strong performer but I didn't take to the style so sold it and bought a Trident, also with the in-house movement , it didn't run quite so well initially but was regulated by CW to COSC, what put me off apart from the way it wore (which felt a lot larger than its actual size) was some of the finishing, particularly on the case adjacent to the lugs where the end link sits which I saw when taking off the bracelet one day - it was far from good and it made me think what else that wouldn't normally be seen was also below parr..so off it went and I haven't had one since so good to hear comments that the quality has improved over time. I don't need nor intend to buy another new watch but if I was I wouldn't discount CW.

BTW when my Trident was running poorly I exchanged a few emails with Mike France who hails from my part of the world and we both knew a few watch related places of interest close to Liverpool - he was very helpful in ensuring the watch was sorted out quickly. The Loupe magazine is pretty good - obviously acts to promote their own products but has other brands and areas of interest in it - worth subscribing.

Keith

Craftsman
    I am not inspired by the choice of colourways - all the colours you could want, as long as it is either black or white.

Also it seems all new watches these days use baton indices. Some Arabic numerals now and then would be nice for a change.

I've just this week picked up a GS SBGN003 and the likeness on first glance is very strong. I know what people mean about the name but it doesn't bother me, a few years ago I bought their first model with the "in-house" movement from Synergies Horlogères, the SH21, that was a strong performer but I didn't take to the style so sold it and bought a Trident, also with the in-house movement , it didn't run quite so well initially but was regulated by CW to COSC, what put me off apart from the way it wore (which felt a lot larger than its actual size) was some of the finishing, particularly on the case adjacent to the lugs where the end link sits which I saw when taking off the bracelet one day - it was far from good and it made me think what else that wouldn't normally be seen was also below parr..so off it went and I haven't had one since so good to hear comments that the quality has improved over time. I don't need nor intend to buy another new watch but if I was I wouldn't discount CW.

BTW when my Trident was running poorly I exchanged a few emails with Mike France who hails from my part of the world and we both knew a few watch related places of interest close to Liverpool - he was very helpful in ensuring the watch was sorted out quickly. The Loupe magazine is pretty good - obviously acts to promote their own products but has other brands and areas of interest in it - worth subscribing.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post

Keith
    I had wondered about the username and knew Mike France was from Huyton way. I am a Knotty Ash man myself, but now been downgraded to Surrey.

I am another one with a super compressor and rate it very highly.

I would have no hesitation buying another CW and probably will at sometime in the future, when my oldest son gets one of my watches as per of his 21st next year and I want a replacement.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 29th April 2021 at 17:43.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I had wondered about the username and knew Mike France was from Huyton way. I am a Knotty Ash man myself, but now been downgraded to Surrey.

I am another one with a super compressor and rate it very highly.

I would have no hesitation buying another CW and probably will at sometime in the future, when my oldest son gets one of my watches as per of his 21st next year and I want a replacement.
    Knotty Ash...posh indeed no wonder Surrey feels like a downgrade...same here Huyton to Henley, slumming it!

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    Knotty Ash...posh indeed no wonder Surrey feels like a downgrade...same here Huyton to Henley, slumming it!
    Well, we can both feel superior to Page Moss.

I quite like the white GMT and with £100.00 off it's quite a decent price.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    More watches that show Christopher Ward really do know what they are doing - the make very few mis-steps and you can see a clear progression in what they've offered over the years. As a genuine compliment, I'd say they are one of those (few) brands that make me question why I buy more expensive watches. I've visited their offices a couple of times over the years and they've always been friendly and helpful too, with good customer service.

I'm so torn between black or white dial. I suppose I could order both and return one.

Journeyman
    I have the Super Compressor and love it. The White GMT is my favourite.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I really like the look of the Sealander Elite.
    It's the first watch to catch my eye in a while...

Cheers,

Adam.

The plain SeaLander has me questioning why I’m close to buying an Aqua Terra! Really nice watch and great, cost efficient alternative to the AT with some very similar features ie proportions, water resistance, date at 6 etc. Fanatastic price as well.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    The plain SeaLander has me questioning why I’m close to buying an Aqua Terra!.
    Especially when just the ADs cut is probably 3 times more than the cost of the CW watch.

Master
    100LOUPE21 will get you £100 off in case anybody isn't aware....

Really like these: White GMT is probably the pick of the lot for me but the plain black dial three-hander is also lovely.

It’s probably fair to say that the designs are so heavily inspired as to be generic but that doesn’t bother me as it’s done well and if the execution is anything like my C65 chronograph, these will be fantastic.

I look forward to seeing some photos, looks like some are going to jump on!

Master

I have seen the Light-catcher™

My pick of the C63 bunch is the Sealander Elite (COSC, titanium, retractable crown, Light-catcher case). With the retractable crown and flawless titanium casework, the nearest comparable watch technology only comes in a £42k Omega AT Ultra-Light. And CW's Light-catcher case in titanium has to be seen in the metal to be fully appreciated. It's a beauty.

When it comes to innovation, CW has become one of the leaders, and it's got to bode well for the brand's future. In a recent YouTube interview, Mike France (CW CEO) reported that sales increased around 30% last year.

Having recently owned my first CW I can say the quality was fantastic so this is very tempting indeed.
    I am in the same CW boat (recent convert from skeptic to CW owner) and agree. The quality is significantly better than, say, TAG Heuer and Longines I have owned.

Craftsman
    Another vote here for the Sealander Elite. Have been on the lookout for a decent 40mm automatic in titanium (that won't break the bank) for a long time. If I was being picky I'm not personally a big fan of orange, but the overall look and style is very much my cup of tea. Hmmm......

Order placed for the white three-hander on black hybrid strap.

Order placed for the white three-hander on black hybrid strap.
    Are you going to keep it longer than the super compressor

Maybe. Maybe not. I might not like it and return it. It might be my favourite watch of all time. Who knows.

I did consider the all dark blue compressor but couldn't justify the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Are you going to keep it longer than the super compressor

Apprentice
    Another vote for the Elite - very attractive design and size. If I wasn't waiting for the Caribbeans (still...) I might be placing an order.

Blog Entries
    I like some of CW watches but can't cope with CW in full logo

Master
    To clarify, I think I mean full names. I do have a Steinhart, but it doesn't say Gunter Steinhart on the dial, so using the same logic Smiths are fine. Dan Henry, Hugo Boss and Christopher Ward are a step too far for me though, not that anyone who is a member of a watch forum would admit owning a Hugo Boss watch.
    I feel exactly the same strangely enough, no matter how nice the watch.

Never mind
    Last edited by Dave+63; 1st May 2021 at 08:13.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I like some of CW watches but can't cope with CW in full logo

Funny, I really dislike the CW logo and much prefer having the name on the dial. Though a good logo and / or C.Ward might be the best of both worlds.