closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK it's high time I bought my first MM300 so advice please ...

Master

OK it's high time I bought my first MM300 so advice please ...

As per the post title, it's high time I bought my first MM300, so advice sought ... and excuse the noddy questions. I've been poking around the internet a bit but there is SO much to read on this topic over so many years I thought I might just ask the experts directly. (And I didn't want to bother David again as I pestered him already this week on a different subject :) )

So - is there a consensus between SBDX001, SBDX017 and SBDX023? Any difference in the going rate (advice on this would be really appreciated as asking prices do seem to be all over the place). Any thoughts on sources for what I guess in both cases is remaining stock, since all (?) are discontinued? Or best of the special editions? (I must say both the green and blue dial SEs appeal). Any tips on buying s/h?

I had vaguely remembered a titanium version but it seems from a quick poke around I may have been mistaken. With a 20cm wrist the 44m size is no problem but I'm slightly worried steel case on steel bracelet might be a bit heavy. But I guess I can always swap the bracelet out for rubber.

At this point someone will no doubt point me at a 300-page long FAQ site and leave me with a red face but the question is an open one and honestly asked .. just how do you crash into such a big topic?
    Last edited by kk; 28th April 2021 at 21:06.

OK it's high time I bought my first MM300 so advice please ...

From memory and apologies if I’m wrong and cause further confusion.......

Think the 017 had a signed crown, slightly more accurate movement and was diashield treated.

I sourced the older 001 mainly because it was the original and values seem to be rising, but choice to refurb the case was a consideration. The diashield finish can not be refinished as far as I know.

I had the LE 012 which I deeply regret selling but prefer the older bezel configuration with the recessed lume pip vs the newer triangle on the green and blue editions.

The 017 will of course be newer so consider service costs...... the 001 can be up to twelve years old so may need some attention.

Size and weight wise I find no issues personally and I have small 6.5” wrists. Actually prefer the strap code replacement bracelet that came with mine in addition to the oem bracelet and Seiko waffle but this adds further weight. Height I think tends to be the biggest issue for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RLE; 28th April 2021 at 21:07.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have bought - and sold - four or five over the years. To me they look smaller than their size would suggest - but they are a very nice looking watch.

They are a tall, heavy watch - I often wore mine on the Seiko rubber strap.

There is - or was - a Steeldive homage on SC. Assuming it has the same dimensions, if you want to try one out without spending a couple of grand, that might be one route?

I had the SBDX017 and then the SLA021. Great watches but I prefer the SLA021 due to the ceramic bezel and sapphire.

People get hung up on the Marine Master dial text (SBDX001, SBDX017) Vs the Prospex X (SLA models) but it never bothered me.

Like Jon I wore both of mine almost always on the rubber strap. The SDBX017 I actually bought from Jon and never wore it on the bracelet once but did try a bit of both on the SLA021. The Dia-Shield coating is great and not to be underestimated.

I only have an SPB079 MM200 at the minute but have no doubt another MM300 will enter the collection at some point. When this happens it will be an SLA model.

I’ve never owned an MM300 but got to see one up close at a GTG a few years ago and I was struck by how much smaller it was than I imagined. I find this with Seiko divers generally actually - it seemed to wear quite tall and ‘chunky’ but not overly large. YMMV of course!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve never owned an MM300 but got to see one up close at a GTG a few years ago and I was struck by how much smaller it was than I imagined. I find this with Seiko divers generally actually - it seemed to wear quite tall and ‘chunky’ but not overly large. YMMV of course!
    Yep, very true. Big watch but mostly from chunk. The actual footprint/surface area of it is smaller than you imagine.

Master
    I wish i had tried one on before i bought one.

It was top heavy on my wrist and was never confortable more so on the bracelet.

Easy to move on if you don't bond as i did.

Sorry to be a little negative on the watch but just giving an honest opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    As per the post title, it's high time I bought my first MM300, so advice sought ... and excuse the noddy questions. I've been poking around the internet a bit but there is SO much to read on this topic over so many years I thought I might just ask the experts directly. (And I didn't want to bother David again as I pestered him already this week on a different subject :) )

So - is there a consensus between SBDX001, SBDX017 and SBDX023? Any difference in the going rate (advice on this would be really appreciated as asking prices do seem to be all over the place). Any thoughts on sources for what I guess in both cases is remaining stock, since all (?) are discontinued? Or best of the special editions? (I must say both the green and blue dial SEs appeal). Any tips on buying s/h?

I had vaguely remembered a titanium version but it seems from a quick poke around I may have been mistaken. With a 20cm wrist the 44m size is no problem but I'm slightly worried steel case on steel bracelet might be a bit heavy. But I guess I can always swap the bracelet out for rubber.

At this point someone will no doubt point me at a 300-page long FAQ site and leave me with a red face but the question is an open one and honestly asked .. just how do you crash into such a big topic?
    OP you may find this thread from WUS useful, there is a lot of discussion concerning owner experience and the differences between the models.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/o...31149/page-540

The SBDX001 is in my opinion the one to go for. An absolute classic with creamy, hand applied lume plots and the lovely lacquered bezel. I have had mine for a couple of years now and wear it from time to time, it never fails to delight and has some serious wrist presence. Unlike others, I have always found it a very comfortable wear on the bracelet.

Master
    There is a cracking SLA version on SC right now...

Master
    Thanks for all the input chaps. That WUS thread is quite something!

I guess buying one of the hommage versions is a good tip. I don't mind a large watch, though it's been a decade and a half since I owned a Panerai, but point taken that the height rather than size is the main issue here. So could be worth a shot.

I did spot the SLA in the SC but I had set a lower budget (£2k max and preferably less) I guess it is worth considering though.

Thanks again.

I have never owned one, but handled a few.
    The main thing is that the caseback is quite narrow for the height of the watch.
    This has the advantage that it means you can bend your wrist in any direction without discomfort, even if you strap it on quite tightly.
    But it also means it is top heavy, and can have a tendency to wobble about.

I think it is one of Seiko's most elegant designs (love the simple hands) but I have never owned one for the wobble factor.
    Ti would solve that by removing weight, but as far as I can tell the only MM in Ti came with the wierd bolted on bracelet.
    D

Haven’t worn my 001 in ages, my wrists are under 7 inches and to be fair I can’t pull off many watches over 40mm, The exceptions are Speedmaster Pro’s, and the MM300, thing is the bezel is smaller than the case so it looks smaller on the wrist.

As I have one I have to say the SBDX001 is worth getting if you can find a good one, nicer lume than the 017 no Prospex motifs and as far as recent MM300’s go it’s the original.

Bracelet is better than many make out but it adds a lot of weight, I much prefer the rubber strap not just for weight but also looks, yes it’s a chunky watch but I don’t find it overly top heavy, just watch those door handles though as it does sit up on the wrist!

There is a reason why many here have owned 3/4/5 of them, Simply it’s a mesmerizing watch and it’s hard to put into words what it is that’s so special, I think people sell them due to size or weight and once gone they miss that dial, hand set and bezel and buy back again.

Some will not agree but for less than £2k I think it’s a bargain, there was a time when there were constantly threads comparing the MM300 to the Submariner with both sides arguing the toss which is better as there values were not far apart, of course now the Sub has sailed away in value and the MM300 is still around the price it was - how times change!!

I sent my 001 off to Seiko for a service earlier in the year. I didn't realise how much I would miss it until it was gone. Luckily they turned the service around in less than a month. Its been on my wrist at least once a week since its return.
    I wear mine on the bracelet, I don't think the bracelet is that bad in the context of what was on sale at the time. The clasp is function over form but it works.
    The lume is great both in the dark and during the day, the colour is so much nicer than white or mint green.
    the element I like the most is the bezel, I much prefer the 001s bezel over the later ceramic, it looks better, feels better and has a more vintage vibe.
    Its a watch that makes me smile and I am happy I own it.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 30th April 2021 at 06:13.

fave watch in ages , 017, dive watch buying has stopped since picking this one up. really a decent step up from every seiko i have previously owned.

worn on crafter blue on my flat 7 1/2 wrist sits very well - super time keeper - bought near mint for less than 2K

whats not to like ?

This thread is making me yearn for #10

Mine, 001 2013 Japanese import.

Complete with puffy, hand applied lume plots

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This thread is making me yearn for #10
    When I said in my post above some people have owned 3/4/5 I did think there is probably someone who has owned more than 5 but NINE!!

What made you sell them and what made you buy them back?

I have the 001 and very happy with it. As stated above it has creamy lume which looks great. The upgrades the newer models have are great on paper however don’t fix anything the original lacked. Sure diashield is great, however I see no extra benefit or value in ceramic on such a vintage inspired watch.

It’s a strange thing. Top heavy, thick, hard to fit under a sleeve - all rational considerations. Then I pick it up again and it just makes me smile.

All these pics, opinions, 2 running threads and one available on SC are starting to make me question my choice of a Sinn U50 over a MM300

Sbdx001 is the coolest looking dive watch I’ve ever owned and I’ve added this Sbbn015 to make the Marine Master 300 dreamteam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    When I said in my post above some people have owned 3/4/5 I did think there is probably someone who has owned more than 5 but NINE!!

What made you sell them and what made you buy them back?
    Yes, it’s stupid, isn’t it? My problem is that I absolutely love them (they really are pretty much untouchable in terms of looks IMO) but they’re actually a bit too bulky for my relatively small wrists. Each time I buy one I do so with rose tinted glasses on.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th April 2021 at 23:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Sbdx001 is the coolest looking dive watch I’ve ever owned and I’ve added this Sbbn015 to make the Marine Master 300 dreamteam
    I've just taken delivery of my SLA021 this week and am thoroughly impressed with it's quality, finishing and presence.

It's a funny old game this watch business as I lusted after an SBBN015 for ages, bought one in from Higuchi, put it on the wrist and thought "Oh no, this doesn't feel right." It felt too big while the MM300 doesn't.

I know it may be an unusual view around these parts, but I prefer the cleaner dial with the Prospex logo, and the enhancements of the sapphire and ceramic over the earlier versions. I will say, and it's minor, but I don't like the X on the crown. It's too bright, not deeply etched and looks out of place compared to the quality obvious on the rest of the watch.

Again, I was more impressed with the bracelet than my researches might have led me to be. It's comfortable, works well with the lugs and case shape, although I'm still learning to put it on and take it off without activating the ratchet clasp.

I once sold on a 42mm PO 8500 due to the weight and bulkiness but I can't see myself doing that with this. Mind you, I look at Tony and anything is possible! ;)

Last edited by dkpw; 29th April 2021 at 23:48.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Again, I was more impressed with the bracelet than my researches might have led me to be. It's comfortable, works well with the lugs and case shape, although I'm still learning to put it on and take it off without activating the ratchet clasp.

I once sold on a 42mm PO 8500 due to the weight and bulkiness but I can't see myself doing that with this. Mind you, I look at Tony and anything is possible! ;)
    Hah!

By the way, the trick is to swap the clasp for a standard four hole steel jobbie.

All this swooning over the MM300 while mine sits waiting for a new home on the SC :-)

It’s my 5th one too and I’m accepting defeat that it’s just a bit too big and heavy for me. But I always will love the look of it arghh!

the new bezel looks better neat to me without the lum ring at 12:00....the issue with mm300 would be its thickness and the bezel really makes it look smaller on wrist

I don't like its case sharp, hands are little too short to me, but every time I flip it over...the mono case just beats me.

my old 1st gen

Last edited by seikomatic; 30th April 2021 at 03:45.

Glad to see so much love for MM300, one of my favorite dive watches ever. I flipped it once a long time ago but have not made that mistake again. Personally, find not much difference beteeen the different versions but SBDX 001 for some reason remains my favorite. Signed crown, diashield coating, Prospex logo- all I can do without. Not a fan of its bracelet but anyone of the choices from Strapcode or the Crafter Blue rubber are great alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Hah!

By the way, the trick is to swap the clasp for a standard four hole steel jobbie.
    I saw that suggestion from you, a while back. As I've a SPB187 200MM, I may do a swap around at some stage.

D
    David

I prefer the blue 023 myself I used to have the 001
    Last edited by bazza.; 30th April 2021 at 06:03.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    All these pics, opinions, 2 running threads and one available on SC are starting to make me question my choice of a Sinn U50 over a MM300
    I did a comparison of the MM300 vs the U1 a few years ago
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...300-Comparison
    In my opinion there was not a lot in it quality wise, others here seemed to prefer the MM.

If anyone thinks Tony is nuts having had nine, I think I once counted Vinnie had sold something like 23 on SC over the course of a year or two.

I have the SLA023 and wear it on a plain blue Erika's Original MN strap which not only suits it perfectly but makes it incredibly comfortable to wear. The lume is like a torch, the detailing and movement are great and I can't say I ever notice the X on the dial or care it's there.
    "A man of little significance"

Added encouragement for the OP.
    David

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    As per the post title, it's high time I bought my first MM300, so advice sought ... .. just how do you crash into such a big topic?
    Do not discount the MM200, a lot of similarities and less of the bulk.

Journeyman
    Had an 001 I really enjoyed, but while I like the idea of the hand-applied lume in concept, it annoyed me in real life. I now have an 017. It's really an overall lovely thing. Just looks so good, and the price used is really not much more than all of the new mid-range Seiko divers, and IMO it's just so much better than those. I will say that it's not the all-arounder that some claim it to be, mainly due to its thickness, but as a weekend watch it is pretty much perfection.

Master
    What sort of accuracy do people get from their MM300s? I bought a Great Blue Hole model from SC last year and was pleasantly surprised with accuracy of plus 4 seconds a day. Now I’m thinking of a MM300.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    What sort of accuracy do people get from their MM300s? I bought a Great Blue Hole model from SC last year and was pleasantly surprised with accuracy of plus 4 seconds a day. Now I’m thinking of a MM300.
    After its recent service mine is running at less than 2 seconds a day fast.
    Before service it was -30

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    After its recent service mine is running at less than 2 seconds a day fast.
    Before service it was -30
    Thanks, that’s impressive accuracy. I do like the earlier series with Marinemaster on the dial. Don’t know why Seiko would phase out a name that was so well regarded.

Craftsman

Different lume application...

On the SBDX001 the lume is applied by hand wich gives it a more vintage look. As said above the SBDX017 differs from the 001 in the method of applied lume, the diashield coating and the prospex X on the crown. The 001 lacks the diashield and has a S(igned) crown. Some SBDX017 however also come with the hand applied lume dial as seen on the 001.....I was the owner of a 001 wich I sold after getting the MM600 wich I preffered for it's more accurate movement and size.

Guillermo

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I'm checking my new one and it's +5 a day.
    David

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I'm checking my new one and it's +5 a day.
    Thanks, David. I’m persuading myself to step up from MM200 level to one of these.

I have puny wrists and love the marinemaster.

The trick is to stick it on a perlon so you can make it fairly tight with its vast number of positions for the tang to go through.
    The weight is not a bother now.

and this is from someone who prefers bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    If anyone thinks Tony is nuts having had nine, I think I once counted Vinnie had sold something like 23 on SC over the course of a year or two.

I have the SLA023 and wear it on a plain blue Erika's Original MN strap which not only suits it perfectly but makes it incredibly comfortable to wear. The lume is like a torch, the detailing and movement are great and I can't say I ever notice the X on the dial or care it's there.
    23....lol

I know I've owned 18 of them since their inception back in 2000.

Master
    I’m on number 8 and currently have several of the newer version SLAs which I really prefer with the sapphire crystal and ceramic illuminated bezel, one of which I’m still deciding whether to move on.
    I also find the bezel action better / smoother on the newer SLAs
    I’ve always appreciated the Seiko bracelet which I think really suits the watch and enables me to get a perfect fit with the micro adjustment holes in the clasp and the on the move and instant adjustment from the racheting mechanism.
    I also bought a spare clasp and fitted it to a crafter blue so I don’t have to keep swapping things over so best of both worlds.
    After my first 5 I properly get the watch now and will never be without one. They’re fantastic watches and wear much smaller than the dimensions suggests and I have never felt the head is top heavy once the bracelet / clasp is adjusted properly. Definitely one to try and persevere with, if I had to choose one it would be the SLA021 or 023 and the other thing to mention is they look great on most straps and with the drilled lugs it’s very easy and quick to do.

Anyone know the best place for a sla021?

Best I’ve found is 10% without asking specifically for a discount

Watcho gave me 15% discount, asking for a small deposit, prior to ordering from Seiko.
    David

Goldsmiths sometimes, depending on stock. They had the blue SLA in stock for ages and WATCH20 is usually good for 20%. When the black SLA021 was in stock WATCH20 also worked. A store might be able to order one in using the code?

Watcho should go to 20% I'd imagine. Generally they're very competitive.

You are Saints2014 and I claim my £5

Sorry... only joking.

Any MM is a cracking watch.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd May 2021 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post

It’s a strange thing. Top heavy, thick, hard to fit under a sleeve - all rational considerations. Then I pick it up again and it just makes me smile.
    Likewise.
    How does it do that?
    I have been known to break out a smile at the sight of an adorable baby or a particularly cute dog, but a watch? And it's one of only a couple which have that effect. Never has the same been reported for say, a Damasko.

£500 off code works at Jura so that might win it.

Nearly 18% if my maths is correct. Plus a watch winder

Edit: And ordered. Roll on Tuesday.

Just need someone to but the U50 on SC now
    Last edited by acg; 2nd May 2021 at 11:41.

£500 off code works at Jura so that might win it.

Nearly 18% if my maths is correct. Plus a watch winder

Edit: And ordered. Roll on Tuesday.

Just need someone to but the U50 on SC now
    Excellent - I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the 017, love it. Mate has the all black one and that’s the only reason I would sell it if he moves if on.