closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RAF Chronos and related designs

Master

RAF Chronos and related designs

I've been reading a little about the RAF issued chronos, both the 70's mechanical and the 80's quartz model. I've never been interested in having a chronometer but I do like these designs. I had a few questions and I was hoping to take advantage of the collective knowledge.

Has anyone owned a Khaki Pilot Pioneer Auto Chrono? I like the look (maybe not the date) and the fact it is made by Hamilton. The originals from CWC and Hamilton are outside my budget. The Newmark doesn't appeal to me.

How difficult (and expensive) is it to pick up a Seiko 7A28 Gen 1? Can you still find the civilian version of the 7A28 and how similar it it? Do seiko have a current model with a smilier look and feel? As you can probably tell from my question I'm more interested in the look than in getting a genuine issued watch. Same questions on the Gen 2, anything with a similar look, better still if it comes from Seiko.

Finally the Pulsar, I've seen a few models for sale with a similar look but I'm wondering if an original option is affordable and worth getting.

Apologies if I've asked too many questions. I'm sure the answers are buried in the forum, but I couldn't find them

To answer a few of your questions
    Gen1 - they did not do a civi version but they did use the movement in other watches and there are numerous versions to choose from, they are worth a look but the movement is now obsolete so if it packs up you need a donor watch to get it repaired. They are a nice little watch and the 10th sec counter is cool to watch wiz around. There is a guy that seems to have a small stock of theses on MWR at the moment.

Gen2 - yes there was a civi version, it’s identical to the issued watch bar the case back markings. Even the dial is identical including the circle P, it has fixed bars as well. These are one of my favourite issued watches, they are small thin and very easy to wear. Again the movement is obsolete so a donor movement is needed, they are not as easy to find though. Supply of these seem to have dried up.

Both Seiko sell for about £700-800 currently. Gen1s being a bit more.

Pulsar - again there is civi version it’s cheap as chips! The issued watches are also cheap for an issued watch. They are a nice watch but they are not as good quality as their predecessors. The gen1 versions had a weak stem and crown from memory. Gen2s changed design and look more like the civi versions The newmark reissue is a better quality watch IMO.

I can’t help with the Hamilton Khaki, it’s a nice watch but I don’t like the date.

Master
    Thanks for all the information. That was really helpful. I want to like the Newmark but the 24 hour subdial and lack of running seconds just doesn't work for me. Maybe if I saw one in the flesh, so to speak, I'd be convinced.

I found a version of the Pulsar for £60 but at 42mm not sure if it what I want. Again I probably need to try it on.

I'll have a browse on MWR and have a peak at the Gen 1.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    As Sinnlover has mentioned, the civilian version of the Pulsar is cheap, the most recent iterations are slightly larger than the originals.
    I've recently acquired a Newmark 6BB and am really impressed. Nicely constructed, the lack of a running second hand isn't an issue, when the chronograph is activated the Seiko VK64 means the second timer runs at 5 ticks per second and resembles a mechanical movement.
    I've owned a couple of the Pulsars and quite quickly moved them on, the Newmark is far nicer.

Craftsman
    Not sure of your budget but CWC currently sell a quartz and mechanical with asymetric case

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/chronograph

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    Not sure of your budget but CWC currently sell a quartz and mechanical with asymetric case

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/chronograph
    Thanks for the suggestion. Probably a bit more than I want to spend at the moment, but I might plan a visit to Silvermans so I could try one on.

I have an issued Pulsar Gen 1. The main differences from the civilian one are the handset and the fixed bars. Personally I think the issued handset is the finishing touch to one of the nicest dial designs I have - a very good example of form following function.

The stem and crown are a weak point and mine was replaced in service by whoever the RAF get to do these things. As a result my crown is smaller than it should be.

Basically they are a nice but cheap quartz watch. Obviously up to you if the handset and ‘issued’ classification are worth the extra over a civilian one. I wear mine quite a lot (on one of Eddie’s Natos) as it’s nice to look at and very practical.

Having both issued versions of the Pulsar I must say that the Gen-1 is more aesthetically pleasing to me from the hands pov, but both are a nice wear and easy reading watch.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

This just sold on SC and might be in the general ball park. Might be worth a pm to the buyer in case he doesn't bond...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...h-Valjoux-7733
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    I was looking at it and was tempted, but I'd prefer the version with numerals. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...aph-1776267772

But still tempting and maybe worth as PM as you suggested.

I have not seen this in person, but it is true that the Pulsar RAF Gen 2 subdial at 6 has two hands? That seems like an unusual and interesting design feature. I would love to have one someday, but they seem pricey at £425 or more, if eBay is any indication.

I have the Newmark 6BB reissue. I would prefer running seconds, but lack thereof is not terribly bothersome.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I've been reading a little about the RAF issued chronos, both the 70's mechanical and the 80's quartz model. I've never been interested in having a chronometer but I do like these designs. I had a few questions and I was hoping to take advantage of the collective knowledge.

Has anyone owned a Khaki Pilot Pioneer Auto Chrono? I like the look (maybe not the date) and the fact it is made by Hamilton. The originals from CWC and Hamilton are outside my budget. The Newmark doesn't appeal to me.

How difficult (and expensive) is it to pick up a Seiko 7A28 Gen 1? Can you still find the civilian version of the 7A28 and how similar it it? Do seiko have a current model with a smilier look and feel? As you can probably tell from my question I'm more interested in the look than in getting a genuine issued watch. Same questions on the Gen 2, anything with a similar look, better still if it comes from Seiko.

Finally the Pulsar, I've seen a few models for sale with a similar look but I'm wondering if an original option is affordable and worth getting.

Apologies if I've asked too many questions. I'm sure the answers are buried in the forum, but I couldn't find them
    I have had that Hamilton Pilot Pioneer and returned it as the chrono reset was faulty, a not uncommon problem it seems, they are available for £600 new so I am sure Hamilton will fix any warranty issues. It was a nice watch but the beige face wasn't really correct for the style of watch. Also, I recently sold my Gen 1 Seiko, in pretty much mint condition, it was 2 years old when I bought it, for £910.
    Also , bought both versions of the pulsar model for £80 each, brand new , so very cheap for a good looking Mil style chronograph.

I thought that was excellent value, and my indolence meant I missed that boat .

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    This just sold on SC and might be in the general ball park. Might be worth a pm to the buyer in case he doesn't bond...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...h-Valjoux-7733

Master
    I've bought a Gen 2 from eBay, so much for no purchases in January. Supposedly in full working order, but the crystal looks fairly tatty. There are replacement crystals available at a very reasonable price, anything I need to look out for? If I decide to have it serviced, any recommendations? Pictures to follow.

I've bought a Gen 2 from eBay, so much for no purchases in January. Supposedly in full working order, but the crystal looks fairly tatty. There are replacement crystals available at a very reasonable price, anything I need to look out for? If I decide to have it serviced, any recommendations? Pictures to follow.
    Hi mate
    They can be serviced by any competent watch maker (I would be contacting Olli or The Watch bloke if I were you) but parts are unobtainable from Seiko so in my experience your best bet is to find a donor watch if parts are needed - lots of Seikos used the same movement.
    Re the crystal this will be a bit more difficult, they are mineral glass so there should be one out there that fits or can be made to fit, it might not have the exact same profile though.
    Best of luck I love the Gen 2 it’s a lovely small, thin but very easy and clear to use chrono.

Craftsman
    Interesting thread. Fortunate to have had examples of all the chrono's from 72 apart from the Lemania and Newmark.

The mechanicals, particularly the Hamilton and Precista I feel are far superior in quality to the later Seiko and Pulsar Quartz. Having been in the RAF, albeit groundcrew I am surprised the Seiko's were considered suitable, personally they don't seem the clearest of dials to read factoring in flying conditions, lighting etc. and build quality is average. Plus with the acrylic you could polish out most scratches, with the mineral glass you cannot. Bought a Gen 2 from surplus which was so scratched it was difficult to see the time clearly, so had to replace the crystal.

Can only assume Seiko were supplying them at cost to secure the contract.

Also notice the USAF stayed with mechanical watches for a few years after the MOD switched to quartz.

Master
    The watch should arrive tomorrow. I've never owned any of the RAF chronos nor any reissues so don't have a basis for comparison between mechanical and quartz. Size wise it should be perfect for me and I think the dial looks pretty clear and legible. I'm continually tempted by the Newark reissue, but I think I'd miss a running seconds too much.

Thanks @Sinnlover for the suggestions on service.

Here are a few of mine. Congrats on adding a gen 2 to your collection.

Master
    I picked up the watch today and I really like it. In every day use the crystal is better than I thought it would be. The lume on the hands is a little degraded but the dial is good. Chrono functions are good. I do like the size. It came on a very smelly 18mm NATO which I’ve thrown in the wash. I have it on a perlon for the moment.

Does the 24 hour sub dial track a different time zone? If so how do I set it? If not it seems out of sync with the main time.

Master
    Congratulations they are great watches.
    No, the sub dial should be in sync with the hour. Very often they are like this. Hopefully a competent watchmaker can sort it for you.

maseman

I picked up the watch today and I really like it. In every day use the crystal is better than I thought it would be. The lume on the hands is a little degraded but the dial is good. Chrono functions are good. I do like the size. It came on a very smelly 18mm NATO which I’ve thrown in the wash. I have it on a perlon for the moment.

Does the 24 hour sub dial track a different time zone? If so how do I set it? If not it seems out of sync with the main time.

Journeyman
    It is possible to align the 24hr subdial yourself. Have a good at the document in the link below for how to do it....
    https://www.scribd.com/document/3438...7-7A20-Setting

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcusu View Post
    It is possible to align the 24hr subdial yourself. Have a good at the document in the link below for how to do it....
    https://www.scribd.com/document/3438...7-7A20-Setting
    Thanks for posting that. I tried the approach suggested but no luck so far.