closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fast estate car

Master
    Enjoy - The C63s will put a smile on your face every time you fire the engine up, lovely sound

Craftsman
    Very nice, congrats

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice, congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Apologies, I posted on the what car thread but forgot to update this one. A decision was made, and I picked this C63s up at the weekend. So far really pleased with it! Thanks again for the inputs, it made me look at options I wouldn’t have considered previously.

Nice one, what was it that clinched it for the Merc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mappa View Post
    Nice one, what was it that clinched it for the Merc?

It was a combination of factors:

Cabin was the nicest for me, great place to sit and excellent seats.
    Easy to upgrade the tech yourself (I have already fitted an android 10 screen that has built in CarPlay etc and is integrated with the car controls)
    More rear leg room than most, in part due to the AMG seats with are quite thin.
    Boot same size as the others, despite the comment above.
    Insurance was only 60 quid extra over the F Pace I had before which was a pleasant shock.
    That’s the dull but important stuff!

The engine is a league above the others, just biblically quick from tickover, and still with a noticeable powerband.
    The switchable modes really are totally different from each other (unlike the 340 for example which is just minor changes)
    Handling is superb for a large car, and the steering feel etc makes the RS4 feel dead by comparison.
    It made me smile way more than the others, for all the above reasons.
    Importantly my wife liked it best even if it is, quote, too noisy.
    For this budget it was the best option financially too (at a guess), the bmw being essentially new (and not really comparable anyway) would lose way more over the next few years (I promised my wife I wouldn’t change again for a while!). I suspect it will also hold value better than the others too, but who knows .

Great feedback and sounds like you've made the right decision for the very best reasons.... especially the one about putting a smile on your face!

Also wanted to say that your earlier post with the images of the car was solely responsible for a very late night yesterday scouring YouTube and Autotrader to see what it would cost me to upgrade the S4.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Happy hunting, you won’t regret it!

Easy to upgrade the tech yourself (I have already fitted an android 10 screen that has built in CarPlay etc and is integrated with the car controls)
    Insurance was only 60 quid extra over the F Pace I had before which was a pleasant shock.

The engine is a league above the others, just biblically quick from tickover, and still with a noticeable powerband.
    The switchable modes really are totally different from each other (unlike the 340 for example which is just minor changes)
    Handling is superb for a large car, and the steering feel etc makes the RS4 feel dead by comparison.
    For this budget it was the best option financially too (at a guess), the bmw being essentially new (and not really comparable anyway) would lose way more over the next few years (I promised my wife I wouldn’t change again for a while!). I suspect it will also hold value better than the others too, but who knows .
    Monster of a thing, beautiful sound as well! Let us know how you get on the the seats, I personally couldn’t handle long periods sat in them, but that sound! I could live with that everyday.
    Enjoy buddy she’s a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Monster of a thing, beautiful sound as well! Let us know how you get on the the seats, I personally couldn’t handle long periods sat in them, but that sound! I could live with that everyday.
    Enjoy buddy she’s a beauty!
    Those optional seats in my opinion are the most comfortable as they're so supportive. Managed many miles in ours without issue.

Craftsman
    Haven't seen all the replies but a C7 RS6 Performance Edition is what you need. I use to have an RS6, it was as quick if not quicker than my Litchfield tuned GTR.

It does everything you need, grocery run, long motorway trips through to enjoying the roads around the Ardennes. I did exactly that in mine, Birmingham to Brussels with ease.

edit - just saw the C63, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    If you don’t mind me asking, what were you driving?
    I have a Malone Skunk with an R1 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I have a Malone Skunk with an R1 engine.
    Had to google that, very cool! I’d love to drive a bike engined car, does the engine have to be re-tuned for more torque because of the extra weight?

I'm not even a car person but that is lovely and a great choice that definitely ticks all the boxes for me.

I have a pathological dislike of Mercedes (When I lived in Germany they were always the drivers tailgating you at 120MPH on the autobahn, with an irritating habit of then slowing to 110 if you let them past you...), but even I think you made a good choice.

I think the current Mercedes range overall is far better looking and has better interiors than BMWs or Audis and, as you say, the engines in these are something special.

That said, the boot space seems to be as disappointing as the BMW 3 Series Touring. (I didn't add that just to be negative, I was thinking that maybe my prejudice had led me to overlook a good candidate - Not that I'd be in the market for a C63, but a lesser C Estate).

Does RWD make the boot space less usable? It looks fairly good in photos.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 7th May 2021 at 09:11.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Apologies, I posted on the what car thread but forgot to update this one. A decision was made, and I picked this C63s up at the weekend. So far really pleased with it! Thanks again for the inputs, it made me look at options I wouldn’t have considered previously.

Very nice I usually prefer the look of saloon cars but id have this over the saloon version

Journeyman
    Did you test drive a RS6 by any chance ? I'm a big fan of RWD cars and currently own a E92 M3 but in the cold and wet weather I do find myself rethinking that decision.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have a pathological dislike of Mercedes (When I lived in Germany they were always the drivers tailgating you at 120MPH on the autobahn, with an irritating habit of then slowing to 110 if you let them past you...), but even I think you made a good choice.

I think the current Mercedes range overall is far better looking and has better interiors than BMWs or Audis and, as you say, the engines in these are something special.

That said, the boot space seems to be as disappointing as the BMW 3 Series Touring. (I didn't add that just to be negative, I was thinking that maybe my prejudice had led me to overlook a good candidate - Not that I'd be in the market for a C63, but a lesser C Estate).

Does RWD make the boot space less usable? It looks fairly good in photos.

M
    If you are looking for a lesser C estate, may I suggest you go up a class to the E estate?
    I have one and the boot is huge, especially if you remove the parcel shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1988 View Post
    Did you test drive a RS6 by any chance ? I'm a big fan of RWD cars and currently own a E92 M3 but in the cold and wet weather I do find myself rethinking that decision.
    I have driven one, and they are incredible. What put me off was size, handling wasn’t quite as good (seems to be an Audi trait), and the old school cabin. I ran an e93 m3 and found that ok, if this is more of a handful I would get winter tyres. If you don’t mind the size I think the e class is AWD, and my old c43 was so worth looking at those too if a v8 isnt essential

Had to google that, very cool! I’d love to drive a bike engined car, does the engine have to be re-tuned for more torque because of the extra weight?
    No, not really. The car is 350Kg, the bike is 200Kg. The clutch has to be uprated, just a case of bigger clutch springs. Since you're swapping hand control of the clutch (on the bike) to foot control on the car, the extra pressure needed to operate it isn't a problem.

It's also geared down. The bike will do almost 200mph. In theory the top end on my Skunk is about 145, but I am not brave enough. And there is the minor problem of the national speed limit.

With those two tweaks, the engine is very happy pulling the extra weight.

OP: Great choice of wagon. Looks luverly!

Cheers for the detailed response! Your rationale is spookily similar to mine, albeit I’m looking at the bigger variants, RS6 or E63/E63s!
    I just need to find a new job before I can pull the trigger.
    Enjoy driving with a smile! Cheers

Craftsman
    I need to stop reading this thread 🤣

I was thinking about an RS6 but the old tech puts me off, it’s a 2013 car. I love the look of the new one but at £100k it’s just financial suicide and that brings a lot of exotics into the equation.

RS4 - downgraded to V6 now but I saw one the other day and it did look nice and interior is quality. I worry about all these virtual dashboards and screens though, that goes wrong snd the cars probably a write off

I keep coming back to the C63s. The engine and noise and the seats. Is it worth trying to get the newer version with the updates gearbox snd dash?

If Alfa did a guila Quad estate I’d already have bought one. It’s the one saloon that’s entered the equation

Decisions decisions

Alfa gets close to doing a Giulia Quad Estate in the form of the Stelvio Quadrifoglio. It's a small SUV, not an estate, but I would have one over an RS6. It's as close as you will get to Ferrari SUV and it may not be so long before the Quadrifoglio models are dropped.

Craftsman
    The stelvio is cool because it’s an Alfa but I just can’t bring myself to get a 4x4. If I had to get one then it would be the stelvio

Interesting you’d pick that over the RS6.