closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast estate car

Mercedes E63? Lot of car for the money

Audi RS7 Sportback, not technically an Estate but huge boot with hatch back. It'll hold everything you could fit in a 3 Series Touring.

C63s would be my choice, had the previous generation on an 11 plate and then a 2018. The only thing for me is that they must be bringing a new C-Class out soon and the interior is starting to feel a little dated. I was disappointed by the 43 engine, wasn't that quick and didn't sound of much.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    According to the new ISO standards that is only 'progressive', it seems.

My Mazda RX8 was 'lethargic' (I don't actually recall the 0-60 time), but it was still quick enough on a twisty country road to have a TVR driver ask if I had 'the turbo one'.

'Fast' is not just a collection of standing start figures, academic top speeds and rolling road BHP numbers.

All that said, if the OP wants the fastest estate going, I think the default answer is RS6, isn't it?

Oh, wait... https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ferrari/gtc4lusso

M
    Not the fastest, just one that is fun to drive and not slow. Mostly agree with your points, my M3 was not that fast on paper compared to the competition (v8 one) but was a lot of fun. Bhp is part of that equation though.

Not sure why the negativity from some, if you are not interested or dont get fast cars- why read and comment? Genuinely do not understand the attitude on a luxury watch forum, dedicated to totally unnecessary stuff!

Anyway, thank you for the additional suggestions, some options I had not considered at all! Please do keep them coming

Master
    [QUOTE=Dave+63;5735558]That’s because no fireblade would do 190mph![/QUOTE

Well, it was indicating slightly more (when I dared to look down) but you're probably right, more like 185. It wasn't standard and that bit of the M54 is somewhat downhill.

Don't get me wrong Matt, I'm all for fast powerful machines having had a few. In fact I was toying with buying a a SLK 55. The problem is there is nowhere to use a powerful car these days without attracting the wrong attention.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 28th April 2021 at 16:33.

There are some good roads around me that are fine, I dont go at silly speeds but I like the power and handling to enjoy. My wife will also be taking it to the south of France in August, COVID willing, where there are some great roads too.

Back on track, shortlist so far is:

C63s
    E63
    RS4
    S6 previous model
    540?

Thanks for the other suggestions too.

Master
    Skoda Superb estate 280 Sportline.

e60 M5 Touring. V10 greatness.

Just dont drive too far past the last petrol station.

I just met up with a friend to have a look at this newly delivered CLA45 S Shooting Brake. Really impressive inside and out. The boot is cavernous for what is quite a compact car. And it is quite savage in performance.

I used to have a B7 RS4 and currently have access to a V10 RS6 Plus. The RS6 is way more potent, but it's also a very big car, so not as fun on a B road, however it feels more special (especially because of that V10). I would say looking at your choices I'd narrow it down based on size as you seem to be deciding between two segments and they will provide different advantages in different circumstances.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    e60 M5 Touring. V10 greatness.

Just dont drive too far past the last petrol station.
    Great engine, nasty gearbox. The latter was the deal-breaker for me, had a mind of it's own.

I would say a pre-owned RS6 but then I've owned three and it's my current daily driver. I know an RS4 was suggested but if you're 6ft or more there will be no/very little legroom in the back for the kids.

I’m selling “The World’s Fastest Estate Car” if you’re interested?

We ran 226 and change at Bonneville but as you lose about 30% power due to drag on the salt, it will go a bit faster on tarmac if you can find a long enough road...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGZeVc5HhFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxVColbJHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1aK99GFJA

I’ve owned it since 2006, so it really needs a new home and someone to take it back to Bonneville and break some land speed records.

It was very reliable, making four or five runs a day at over 225 on the long course.

Jon.
    Last edited by StampeSV4; 28th April 2021 at 19:00.

Has 2 540i M Sports (saloons) Very good cars. Refined, capable and pretty quick (sub 5, think 4.5?)
    great engine. The touring is a big bus for sure.

Rs6

Next......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    A few mentions of the M5 Touring in this thread!
    If only.....!

Mazda 3 Sport Nav

New M340i Touring, as suggested. Job done.

Master
    I'd go for an e63s or a cls63. We have both and e55 and a c55 estate, both much older and cheaper than the OPs budget but they are great. The e55 is the better car, huge, properly quick if you want it to be and not very noticeable. The c55 is a better drive on narrower and twisty roads, I'd love to strap the supercharger to that m113 and see how the extra 100bhp goes.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Mazda 3 Sport Nav
    Probably more fun than an M5 on British roads. Not an estate mind you.

Have been looking for the last 12 months for my next car, fast family estate and same budget.
    Ive ruled out the Merc C class and Audi S4/RS4 as too small for a family car (small cabin) for a family in my opinion, didnt look at BMW 3 Series for the same reason.
    Which really left the RS6 (16 plate) or an E63 (18 plate). I ruled the BMW 540 out as too slow, relative to the other two!! No slouch in isolation of course.
    I too had reservations with the Audi being a generation behind the Merc in terms of in car tech and equipment etc. The Merc being a newer generation looks so much better inside with more modern tech.
    I think Ive decided on the E63, I think itll sound better than the Audi and be a nicer place to sit. With the way the manufacturers are going Im guessing modern equivalent cars in 5 years time will be electric or predominantly so and will no doubt be fast but will lack the rumble of a meaty engine, so want to enjoy the noise while I can.
    Good luck with the search!

Master
    Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo. Might struggle for 50k budget though.

Fast estate car

I have a 2017 535d touring m-sport. (Now the 540d on the newest iteration I think)

Its a 5-second car to 60 (and can beat that in manual/paddle mode with traction control off, for an experienced driver - so the manual tells me!) and with the bi-turbo there is no lag, just bags of torque all the way to very fast (155mph limited)

Its efficient as you like, well specced, handles beautifully and mega comfy.

It cost me less than half your budget for a 1-owner, 20k miles car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You could even chuck a few quid on top for tuning and make it a proper flyer - and save yourself 20k on your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can confirm that the E63S AMG is fairly rapid. I actually had to change down to keep up with one, which was a shock. How can something that big move that quickly? Bloody impressive!

Master
    RS6 C7
    Had one for 4 months now (mostly doing the 2 mile suburban nursery run) but a few A road journeys and the power is addictive when you hit the button under the loud pedal (it actually has a button that drops it a gear).

Master
    Erm we need a thread on this car please!!!
    Also how much (don't tell the wife I even asked)?

Quote Originally Posted by StampeSV4 View Post
    Im selling The Worlds Fastest Estate Car if youre interested?

We ran 226 and change at Bonneville but as you lose about 30% power due to drag on the salt, it will go a bit faster on tarmac if you can find a long enough road...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGZeVc5HhFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxVColbJHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1aK99GFJA

Ive owned it since 2006, so it really needs a new home and someone to take it back to Bonneville and break some land speed records.

It was very reliable, making four or five runs a day at over 225 on the long course.

Jon.

Master
    What is needed is a device that puts V8 muscle car sound through the speakers in proportion to speed and pedal pressure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I can confirm that the E63S AMG is fairly rapid. I actually had to change down to keep up with one, which was a shock. How can something that big move that quickly? Bloody impressive!
    If you dont mind me asking, what were you driving?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    What is needed is a device that puts V8 muscle car sound through the speakers in proportion to speed and pedal pressure.
    Plus V8 muscle car power and torque to the driven wheels...

I think that device is called a V8 muscle car engine. ;-)

Craftsman
    I have the answer and it's only because I want one but cant afford it for few years as I like estates.

Volvo V60 hT8 Polestar. I've watched and read every review and there's not one bad word said about the comfort , quality and practicality. Of course you'd have to like the styling and the performance figures speak for themselves out of a 2 litre lump + motors. Within budget and you can get a real fancy stereo as an optional extra if you like that sort of thing.
    Last edited by spud767; 29th April 2021 at 21:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Thats because no fireblade would do 190mph!
    Yep...I managed 171 (satnav verified).....and that was it...
    190 deffo would take some doing....

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yep...I managed 171 (satnav verified).....and that was it...
    190 deffo would take some doing....
    You admit that on an open forum, hopefully not on a public road.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

1995 2.5n/a diesel. 110 Defender.
    Will go anywhere within reason any weather most terrains . 1.5tonne in the back. 0-60 never. Top speed not applicable, But will carry on regardless. 36mpg on a run. And with patience Open Top touring too. IMG_7291.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I had an R36 (VW Passat) quite a few years ago. It was a fantastic car, couldn't fault it in any way.

If I was going down the fast 4x4 estate route again, it would 100% be an S6 / RS6 Avant.

Craftsman
    Has anyone said Golf R yet?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    Has anyone said Golf R yet?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using TZ-UK mobile app
    That makes sense, quick, practical, reasonably economical but a bit dull and meh looking.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and the entertaining responses you can always trust TZ!

Just been for a test drive in a C63s and an RS4- out of those its the Merc. Really nice to drive and so different in the various modes. Im 6 foot and can sit behind myself with a few inches of knee room so practical too

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Erm we need a thread on this car please!!!
    Also how much (don't tell the wife I even asked)?
    See what I can do.

MG spent $1 million building and running the car but you can have it for just a tiny fraction of that - selling it to finance my 34 Ford Bonneville racer. Crazy numbers were spent on it, $275k for the engine, $75k for the paint etc - it was a money no object project.

Regards

Jon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StampeSV4 View Post
    See what I can do.

MG spent $1 million building and running the car but you can have it for just a tiny fraction of that - selling it to finance my 34 Ford Bonneville racer. Crazy numbers were spent on it, $275k for the engine, $75k for the paint etc - it was a money no object project.

Regards

Jon.
    I recall reading an article about it at the time and wondered/hoped it was this car from your first line "fastest estate car in the world".
    Sure I've seen it/a mock up at an event at some point too.
    Always struck me as a slightly oddball shout from MG Rover, but they were throwing around money left right & centre for the MG re-launch in the early 00's

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    You admit that on an open forum, hopefully not on a public road.
    He could have done it on an autobahn.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Thanks again for the suggestions, and the entertaining responses you can always trust TZ!

Just been for a test drive in a C63s and an RS4- out of those its the Merc. Really nice to drive and so different in the various modes. Im 6 foot and can sit behind myself with a few inches of knee room so practical too
    Having similar thoughts at the moment, what edged the C63 for you ?

I dont need an estate but just think theyre cool (getting old). Although Im also considering the Alfa Quad just because its an Alfa 😍

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Having similar thoughts at the moment, what edged the C63 for you ?

I dont need an estate but just think theyre cool (getting old). Although Im also considering the Alfa Quad just because its an Alfa 😍
    I found the C63 to just feel more special. The Audi felt a little dead by comparison, but still a phenomenal car. I love an estate over a saloon, they just look better IMHO, and a coupe is too much of a pain with 2 kids. The only exception would be that Alfa, a friend has one and its beautiful:

Master
    MX-5?

Or yes its older than others in your list but it does put you into 2014-16 Panamera GTS or Turbo if you can live with hatch

Fast estate car

https://youtu.be/XdPzfms4FfE

Last edited by Sweepinghand; 2nd May 2021 at 11:00. Reason: I watched this yesterday - worth a look and his other videos

Master
    OP - can you expand on why SUVs aren't for you? I'd be interested in your thinking.

I'd been thinking Volvo V90, as some have mentioned on here, but also wondered whether I should be thinking about a big SUV. I'd like to have my uninformed prejudices against them reinforced ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    OP - can you expand on why SUVs aren't for you? I'd be interested in your thinking.

I'd been thinking Volvo V90, as some have mentioned on here, but also wondered whether I should be thinking about a big SUV. I'd like to have my uninformed prejudices against them reinforced ...
    For me it would be centre of gravity and weight. Much better driving in a lower and lighter car

Not an unreasonable conversation topic but presumably you already know theres probably only about 4/5 cars that could even fit the brief?

S4/RS4; M340D&I ; AMG variants and then V60&V90.

Having driven an S4 Avant for the last 3 years I can heartily recommend it as a great all rounder but a couple of small issues where it could be improved.

1). Throttle response under 1800rpm is laggy causing a less than smooth acceleration unless youre in Sport mode. Not a deal breaker but a wee bit annoying.

2). Not really fun. I enjoy driving it and its quick and smooth and comfortable but not really long hot hatch fun.

3). If its the main family car then the boot is only OK. For long trips with say ski or camping gear its a squeeze. Obviously a roof box solves this.

So what would be better?

I wouldnt go for an RS4 as I think it will be more of the same but just faster in a straight line.

Mercedes too small as others have said.

Volvo probably not that much fun albeit a handsome, capable beast.

My instinct is that the new 340i would be the best all rounder and benefits from a lovely new interior.

Might be worth watching this Video from BMW Youtuber Joe Achilles to wet your appetite for a 340i in very special Peridot green.

He also reviews the M340i which is always worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/UjDl5lhylwE

No problem! The high centre of gravity means the handling is fundamentally flawed. Im not just talking about pushing on, but even slower journeys were frustrating as a driver as you wallow around,and just not as comfortable for passengers as a car.

Also practically speaking my youngest struggled to get in and out, and both boys made a mess of the door cills due to the height.

Apologies, I posted on the what car thread but forgot to update this one. A decision was made, and I picked this C63s up at the weekend. So far really pleased with it! Thanks again for the inputs, it made me look at options I wouldnt have considered previously.

Well done, what a beauty!

Sent using Tapatalk