closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast estate car

Fast estate car

Having had a couple of sporty cars (BMW M3 and a Merc C43 coupe), last year I got a Jag F Pace (3 litre supercharged) as I needed a bigger car for the kids.

It is a great car, however it turns out that SUVs are not for me, so I am looking to move to a fast estate. My budget is up to 50k, and I would welcome some ideas for options, and any experience anyone may have had.

I haven’t been to see anything yet but am currently thinking of Merc C43 (2020 model), C63s (2018 pre face lift) and S6 avant (diesel!).

Thanks for any advice

Master
    Audi RS6 ? Guy up the road owned one. Sounded the business when he fired it up. New £90+ but not sure at 3 yrs old

Steve

Fast estate car

Have a look at the new M340i touring
    Can do a sub 4seconds 0-60
    Last edited by Anygreg; 28th April 2021 at 08:25.

Not sure what the latest equivalent of the Volvo T5 is, I've had a couple in the past and they were a hoot.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-19-V....m46890.l49286
    Last edited by number2; 28th April 2021 at 08:14.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

[stock answer] Subaru 3.0R Spec B Tourer [/stock answer]

They are getting a little long in the tooth now though, and are quite rare!

Master
    I don't think there is such a thing as an S6 diesel.

Craftsman
    Have you looked at the Skoda Octavia VRS estate? They are great cars.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post

He said fast

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    All the new S models are diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post

Thanks good suggestion- my sister had one and it was great, but it was not particularly quick or fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    [stock answer] Subaru 3.0R Spec B Tourer [/stock answer]

They are getting a little long in the tooth now though, and are quite rare!
    I never knew you liked those

My first thoughts were E63/M5/RS6 of which I’d go for the the Merc.

Whilst I can see the allure of fast cars, I’d forego the performance in favour of running costs. But that’s just me being a tight Yorkshireman!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Have a look at the new M340i touring
    Can do a sub 4seconds 0-60

I have the 335d touring which is pretty quick.

I also drove the Volvo V90 T8 for a while. Very nice inside and also very quick. Hybrid though if that bothers you.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 28th April 2021 at 08:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My first thoughts were E63/M5/RS6 of which I’d go for the the Merc.

Whilst I can see the allure of fast cars, I’d forego the performance in favour of running costs. But that’s just me being a tight Yorkshireman!
    Hence my suggestion of the new M340i, combined 40mpg and sub 4 seconds. Really good car, plus 4 wheel drive

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Had a few 35d’s over the years, this M340i is something else, and very very tuneable.

Got to be the RS6, the benchmark of fast estate cars. £50k should get you a 2017 model.

Craftsman
    For me rs4
    Ive had a couple brilliant cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fast estate car

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Got to be the RS6, the benchmark of fast estate cars. £50k should get you a 2017 model.
    £50k will just about get you into a brand new M340i touring, ex demo less with spec. Love the RS6, but not without issues and mpg isn’t great either. I’d be mindful owning one outside of warranty as well. As with all these I’d be thinking of warranty, repairs. Best bang for buck fast estate out there at the minute is the M340i touring. It’s on my list for my next motor having been through all this last year I ended up here.
    That’s or if I can find one in the right spec a M50d X5 G05

Master
    You need to see if the size of a C63 would work for you as a family car. Sound is intoxicating, I just found it too small for me yet the E63 felt huge.

Such a shame Audi went diesel with the S6. The old S6 V8 was a real sleeper, fun to drive but without the shouty wheel arches and "come steal me" look of the RS6.

Thanks, will look at 340s and Volvos too. I would love an RS6 but the older model is very outdated in terms of tech which puts me off a bit, will also look at the RS4.

Not too worried about MPG (within reason) as I don’t do massive miles. The only thing I hate is low mpg combined with a small tank, I was filling the M3 every 200 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    You need to see if the size of a C63 would work for you as a family car. Sound is intoxicating, I just found it too small for me yet the E63 felt huge.

Such a shame Audi went diesel with the S6. The old S6 V8 was a real sleeper, fun to drive but without the shouty wheel arches and "come steal me" look of the RS6.
    Agree totally. I have looked for the 55tfsi, which is probably the closest to the old S6 now, but they are rare as hens teeth.

Completely left field and it's a hatchback, but how about a Kia Stinger? 370bhp.

The only V8 to sound like a V8 is an AMG, you should be able to pick up a 2017-18 E63 4matic for that money.

I've run a 5.5 litre 2012 model estate for the last 7 years and 50,000miles, also driven RS6 and M5 and the Merc is the best sounding and most comfortable of the lot. Also not in your face and a wolf in sheep's clothing.

On a good run you can get 27mpg out of it and a spirited session on the autobahn 10mpg!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    All the new S models are diesel.
    Jeez, that's quite a departure!

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post

I also drove the Volvo V90 T8 for a while. Very nice inside and also very quick. Hybrid though if that bothers you.
    I’ve got the XC90 version, so obviously not a direct recommendation, but I can confirm that the drivetrain is extremely satisfying. Quiet and cheap for local town pottering on the electric system, and far quicker than it has any right to be when you use both that and the petrol engine, since the total available power is north of 400PS. The dealer installed Polestar upgrade adds a worthwhile edge, too. The soundtrack is fairly dismal, though!

New 3 series touring seems very good as an overall prospect but doesn't look as special as the Merc AMG equivalents. Probably won't sound as good either.

Is infotainment a consideration? The infotainment in the GLC is awful but the newer models with MBUX look quite good. Hard to beat the BMW iDrive.

He said fast
    Having driven one, I certainly wouldn't describe it as slow.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Alpina B5 Touring?

I had an old Alpina B10 touring years ago and it was a big improvement over the BMW it was based on, so would assume the more recent B5 was also something a bit more special/more exclusive? Don't know about current values though.

Master
    I was just going to say nobody has mentioned Alpina. There is M5 touring as well of course.

Quote Originally Posted by birchgra View Post
    Alpina B5 Touring?

I had an old Alpina B10 touring years ago and it was a big improvement over the BMW it was based on, so would assume the more recent B5 was also something a bit more special/more exclusive? Don't know about current values though.

Craftsman
    Haven’t driven one but I keep hearing good things about the M340i as well, need to try one.

I know you’ve discounted SUVs but the X3 M40i is meant to be a great all rounder if you need a bit more space.

Not sure if you’ve heard of the YouTuber Joe Achilles but he has good reviews of these (and others you might be interested in).

Audi IMHO are the Kings of the fast estates.

RS6 is a great choice. Go for a performance if the budget allows.

I've got a B7 (2007) RS4. I love it to bits. Yes repairs are costly, but go in with your eyes open and buy on history and condition and you'll be fine.

I self warranty mine with a standing order to a "car account", stops the shocks when you get a big bill.

Go hard or go home. You only live once. We'll all be electric soon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    There are a few articles on Pistonheads that might be worth a look. Also more suggestions in the article comments section.

E43 estate
    https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...-spotted/44078

and
    Fast wagons article
    https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...buy-hard/44070

I love these adrenaline fuelled () 'Fast car' threads where many jump in with sub 5second and huge horsypower claims for some manly bestial tarmac destroyer. This in this most over-regulated law obsessed nation where they can/will jail you for doing 120+ mph on an empty road.
    Also make a claim of speeding on here (my best was 190 on a Blade a few years ago, M54) and the forum stasi will give you a slapping.

Craftsman
    I had a similar need a couple of years back and decided on the 340i, it still gives me a smile to start up and loves to be driven fast, the power is superb. Equally it's a very refined car in normal mode and lovely to drive. The styling is subtle but it's nice to be somewhat under the radar. I found a pretty tidy '16 model for around £20k. The M340i is a moderate step up again in power (374bhp vs 320bhp) so probably worth stretching for if you've got the money to spend. The '16 model is also pretty loud and has quite an aggressive stock exhaust (which can be controlled depending on drive mode), I've heard the later models are a bit quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I love these adrenaline fuelled () 'Fast car' threads where many jump in with sub 5second and huge horsypower claims for some manly bestial tarmac destroyer. This in this most over-regulated law obsessed nation where they can/will jail you for doing 120+ mph on an empty road.
    Also make a claim of speeding on here (my best was 190 on a Blade a few years ago, M54) and the forum stasi will give you a slapping.
    Boys and their toys.

XF Sportbrake

Can be had new for your budget

Master
    Ohhh I miss my E55

Jeez, that's quite a departure!
    Diesels can be very good depending on where you live.
    In rural areas where nothing is flat, very powerful Diesels with massive torque are superbly fast since you spend half the time going up hill and the very high torque pays off.

He said fast
    If you don't think an Octavia vRS is fast enough, you're not trying!

If you actually need an estate, look closely at the BMW Touring's 'boot' - I found it laughably small with the rear seats up.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Eh?

That’s because no fireblade would do 190mph!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    If you don't think an Octavia vRS is fast enough, you're not trying!

If you actually need an estate, look closely at the BMW Touring's 'boot' - I found it laughably small with the rear seats up.

M

Octavia vrs = 242bhp, 6.7secs 0-60, max speed 155mph
    Alpina B5 = 500bhp, 3.6secs 0-60, max speed 200mph

I think Anygreg was quite right to question the octavia being included in a discussion about fast estates!

I think Anygreg was quite right to question the octavia being included in a discussion about fast estates!
    All about perspective. Sub 4 is fast. Sub 5 is quick. Sub 6 is progressive. Sub 7 is nippy.

Not knocking the VRs, it’s great nippy car, but when compared to sub 4 which is mclaren, hurrican etc domain it’s simply isn’t fast.

Sub 3 is Fkn Fast by the way

Well, I agree you'll win in Top Trumps (the Alpina probably weighs a fair bit more too), but on a British road only better acceleration will be usable and then only for short periods.

Max speed is a little academic too as the Skoda is restricted.

One man's fast is another's slow (I've just been watching a video of a 2000bhp Viper!), but day to day a vRS is probably quick enough to count as a fast estate, rather than Supercar quick...

My fast estate is a gnat's slower to 60 than a Ferrari F40, but lacks the prestige badge to be considered in this company.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 28th April 2021 at 13:36.

Friend of mine has a Skoda superb estate 280bhp with 5.01 0-60

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Friend of mine has a Skoda superb estate 280bhp with 5.01 0-60
    According to the new ISO standards that is only 'progressive', it seems.

My Mazda RX8 was 'lethargic' (I don't actually recall the 0-60 time), but it was still quick enough on a twisty country road to have a TVR driver ask if I had 'the turbo one'.

'Fast' is not just a collection of standing start figures, academic top speeds and rolling road BHP numbers.

All that said, if the OP wants the fastest estate going, I think the default answer is RS6, isn't it?

Oh, wait... https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ferrari/gtc4lusso

M
    Last edited by snowman; 28th April 2021 at 14:02.

think we'll let him into the quick category with those times :)
    as mentioned, i have a lotta love for the new skoda's, the VRs is a cracker and really good value for money as well

Fast estate car

My Mazda RX8 was 'lethargic' (I don't actually recall the 0-60 time), but it was still quick enough on a twisty country road to have a TVR driver ask if I had 'the turbo one'.

'Fast' is not just a collection of standing start figures, academic top speeds and rolling road BHP numbers.

All that said, if the OP wants the fastest estate going, I think the default answer is RS6, isn't it?

Oh, wait... https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ferrari/gtc4lusso

M
    Duplicated below randomly!
    Last edited by Matt8500; 28th April 2021 at 15:55.

Why are you considering the diesel S6 Avant? Why not go for the earlier C7.5 facelift S6 avant with the twin turbo 4.0 V8? Same engine as the RS6 and RS7 just different turbos and gearbox.

I've got the saloon variant. 450bhp as standard but have had it remapped to circa 550bhp. It's done a GPS verified 0-60 time of 3.7 seconds and I'm sure it can go faster.

Yes there is.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/s...nt-2019-review