closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VOIP or hands free calling for elderly partially sighted person.

Master

VOIP or hands free calling for elderly partially sighted person.

Leading on from last years quest for a voice controlled TV I am now in pursuit of a telephony solution.

The background is my mother in law has macula degeneration and is now struggling to see the names and numbers on her BIG screen landline. She has a simple PAYG with large buttons and a big emergency button for summoning help on the rear.

She uses her Ipad which is set on maximum screen size and Alexa for tv radio spotify etc.

We are trying to locate a voice controlled land line. BT used to do one but have stopped. Skype is one option with an unlimited deal for £10 ( limited to 2000m / month) The other Voip options all seem to be work related.

Another option is a new unlimited phone contract on say an Apple SE which would work on her ipad , but thats a 24 month £700 option.

Is there something simple Im missing here?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Master
    There's this now https://realsam.co.uk/ though it will cost contract wise.

Master
    How about an Amazon Echo Show 8 or 10:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=show&i=...f=nb_sb_noss_1

She would need a mobile phone to link it to but she can just shout "Alexa call higham" at it & it will connect to you. You can download the Alexa Calling app onto your phone & I think it works with Skype & Whatsapp as well, although I'm not sure how far the integration goes.

If you configure Drop In on her device it will auto-answer otherwise she can just tell it to answer when it rings. You get video calls as well of course. There's a number of videos on YT which should show you more of the features:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...a+show+8+setup

Master
    Thanks for the input guys , first step is to upgrade her mobile phone from the “ brick” she currently uses. Then we can explore options

Steve

Craftsman
    Siri as a replacement for a tactile phone. I have a relative who is registered blind, but she has an iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch, all of which speak to her.

The iPhone works for more than just making calls of course - for example you can use the Seeing AI app to read things, identify objects, scenes and colours. For me this is one of the most revolutionary developments of the last few years - using AI to identify scenes accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk