closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: prices have increased a bit over the last year but. It’s the great paint rip of

prices have increased a bit over the last year but. It’s the great paint rip of

all of the DIY stores seem to be at it, it’s £17 in Wicks but the larger size is more expensive than B&Q I thought Brilliant White matt was about a tenner

https://www.diy.com/departments/dulu.../298927_BQ.prd

DIY store paint is not great - better to pay a little more and use a pro decorator supplier IME.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Try buying paint in France. You'll be selling your Rolex to finance painting a whole house!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    DIY store paint is not great - better to pay a little more and use a pro decorator supplier IME.
    It’s just to refresh a ceiling that I’ve put some spotlights in, Dulux Matt is normally good enough

I have just sold a load on eBay. I'm clearing out after a defaulting garage renter.
    You're not anywhere near Manchester are you?
    Or anyone else wanting white emulsion?

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Try buying paint in France. You'll be selling your Rolex to finance painting a whole house!
    I just found a receipt from Feb 20 when I did the kitchen, £10 litres was £14.40 from a local builders merchant

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I have just sold a load on eBay. I'm clearing out after a defaulting garage renter.
    You're not anywhere near Manchester are you?
    Or anyone else wanting white emulsion?
    That’s a shame, North west Essex

Master
    We sell paint amongst other things at work, some of the suppliers have already had two price increases this year, and supply is patchy to boot.

Blog Entries
    There is no rip off, you're comparing a premium brand vinyl matt at B+Q prices with contract matt bought from a builders' merchants. They aren't remotely the same product, if you'd gone to a decorators' merchant you could still get 10 ltr of contract white for £13-14. Anybody buying anything from b+q deserves to get their pants pulled down

homebase are doing the same thing with plants this year, for the last 6+yrs ive paid around £4-6 for a tray of 6-8 runner bean plants (same with tomatoes) - this year both are £4.50 per plant.

prices have increased a bit over the last year but. It’s the great paint rip of

You think that’s bad, my Mrs once decided that she had to have a Farrow & Ball white at around £50 for a 2.5l tin.

It’s white FFS!

Fortunately, she seems happy using Dulux at the moment.

Timber is going up about 15% pm at the moment too.

I wish it was just a couple of quid on paint I had to worry about.

Our whole house extension is on hold as the price seems to have risen by £50k since January last year. Covid and Brexit - the perfect storm

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    all of the DIY stores seem to be at it, it’s £17 in Wicks but the larger size is more expensive than B&Q I thought Brilliant White matt was about a tenner

https://www.diy.com/departments/dulu.../298927_BQ.prd
    I remember when mars bars cost tuppence and were the size of a loaf of bread.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    There is no rip off, you're comparing a premium brand vinyl matt at B+Q prices with contract matt bought from a builders' merchants. They aren't remotely the same product, if you'd gone to a decorators' merchant you could still get 10 ltr of contract white for £13-14. Anybody buying anything from b+q deserves to get their pants pulled down
    until recently, the sheds were the cheapest for Dulux/Crown Brilliant white matt, there was always a wall of it pilled up at the front of the stores for less than a tenner, the merchant I normally use for everything else says he cant buy it for what they sell it for. opacity on most of the contract brands, Layland, Johnstons is rubbish

I remember when 5l tins of Crown Contract Matt Brilliant White were £4. It's not hard, it was only on Sunday when my eBay listing ended.
    Last edited by unclealec; 27th April 2021 at 08:51.

Have you looked at Screwfix? Nothing wrong with Leyland paint, and even their Dulux is nearly half the B&Q price. https://www.screwfix.com/c/decoratin...gory=cat850168

Blog Entries
    until recently, the sheds were the cheapest
    This is your problem, if you just want the cheapest paint then it is not going to be the same quality as the paint bought from a decorators’ merchant , doesn’t matter if it’s dulux, crown or whatever brand.
    As for the opacity of Leyland paint, it’s as good as it’s ever been

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Have you looked at Screwfix? Nothing wrong with Leyland paint, and even their Dulux is nearly half the B&Q price. https://www.screwfix.com/c/decoratin...gory=cat850168
    yes. no stock locally, we got some from wicks this morning, still £17 for five litres, as someone said earlier their must be a shortage

Craftsman
    I just used Leyland Super Latex mat white emulsion, around £27 for 15 litres for all of my ceilings and for mist coating freshly plastered walls. Fantastic coverage and very good opacity. Highly recommended.

This is your problem, if you just want the cheapest paint then it is not going to be the same quality as the paint bought from a decorators’ merchant , doesn’t matter if it’s dulux, crown or whatever brand.
    As for the opacity of Leyland paint, it’s as good as it’s ever been
    where we normally buy paint and decorating mataerials https://www.brewers.co.uk/stores/har...xoCT94QAvD_BwE

They sell quiet a lot of white paint https://www.brewers.co.uk/search?q=d...num_results=24
    Last edited by adrianw; 27th April 2021 at 09:05.

Blog Entries
    So why not go to Brewers instead of B&Q then?

So why not go to Brewers instead of B&Q then?
    sold out

Blog Entries
    Haahhaa what?? Brewers completely sold out of contract, vinyl, Leytex white emulsion??? All brands??
    Now I know you’re full of it

Haahhaa what?? Brewers completely sold out of contract, vinyl, Leytex white emulsion??? All brands??
    Now I know you’re full of it
    Are you on something? I wanted Dulux, because i had started with some i had left over, he thought he had two 7.5 litre pots left, but couldnt find them. but this thread was about the current price of paint compared to a year ago.

Blog Entries
    You’re comparing prices for contract Matt from a merchants and Dulux vinyl Matt from B&Q, completely different things. I’ll say it again there is no rip off, I’m paying the same for paint today that I was paying last year

You’re comparing prices for contract Matt from a merchants and Dulux vinyl Matt from B&Q, completely different things. I’ll say it again there is no rip off, I’m paying the same for paint today that I was paying last year
    You must be very special https://www.ft.com/content/e0fa8a81-...d-c6a4270fcd34

Blog Entries
    When you googled that you should’ve looked at the date, price rise mentioned six days ago so yes I’m paying same price as last year . Try harder

Master
    A new forum low: arguing about the price hike, or not, of paint.

Boring.
    I'd rather watch paint dry (if I could afford it).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    A new forum low: arguing about the price hike, or not, of paint.
    Maybe to you, I buy thousands of litres a year, if there was a price hike it would have a massive impact on me

Boring.
    Cheapest way is to watch other peoples paint dry!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

When you googled that you should’ve looked at the date, price rise mentioned six days ago so yes I’m paying same price as last year . Try harder
    sorry cant get back to it without subscibing, but pretty sure it said "this price rise" whilst profits for the last year had increased 62%

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Travis Perkins has stock.

Blog Entries
    sorry cant get back to it without subscibing, but pretty sure it said "this price rise" whilst profits for the last year had increased 62%
    I think the profits were so high purely due to
    demand last year, during the first lockdown materials were tricky to get , everywhere was caught out by the demand but shopping between several different suppliers usually got the job done, if you were local you’d be welcome to some out of my garage

Master
    Maybe to you, I buy thousands of litres a year, if there was a price hike it would have a massive impact on me
    I think you're missing my point.

There's probably a way to put forward your experience of buying paint, without resorting to insults.

Boring.
    Now Dulux sponsors Spurs they are dead to me...but I can see the commonality of brands in the level of attractiveness of watching and expense

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    homebase are doing the same thing with plants this year, for the last 6+yrs ive paid around £4-6 for a tray of 6-8 runner bean plants (same with tomatoes) - this year both are £4.50 per plant.
    A packet of Mr Fothergills Expensive Runner Bean Seeds, £3:60 for 50. Soak the beans overnight in water. 6-8 hours. Plant 1” deep in compost 50 runner bean plants, or save some for next year.
    But if you save 6 runner beans each year, you never have to buy again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Dulux Trade is exceptional.

Begs the question why do they make an inferior product for us amateur decorators.

Macpherson's......all day !

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Begs the question why do they make an inferior product for us amateur decorators.
    They'd say the retail wasn't inferior but rather that the trade was more superior.

DIY'ers aren't as concerned as professionals about the coverage/opacity, as one example.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s just to refresh a ceiling that I’ve put some spotlights in, Dulux Matt is normally good enough

Go to Dulux Decorator Centres buy Armstead paint which is every bit one of the best trade paints out there made by Akzo Nobel

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    Dulux Trade is exceptional.
    So is Armstead made by Akzo Nobel and it’s where the smart money goes, how do I know 51 years in the trade. The Dulux paint you buy in the DIY stores is NOT trade quality.

After spending 40k a year on paint I do know
    Last edited by hilly10; 27th April 2021 at 21:57.