closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk me out of this - 1992 Mercedes 500E

Grand Master
    I know little about the car in question, but I do know the realities of owning/running an old car. A mountain of old invoices doesn`t always mean a lot and doesn't give any assurance of the car's current condition, an invoice for an engine rebuild by a reputable firm is worth having but a mountain of bills for windscreen wipers and bulbs isn`t.

No matter how good the original build quality the car is almost 30 years old and it'll need TLC to keep it running reliably. Usually it's not the big things like gearbox failures that happen, it's the little ones such as the central locking and minor electrical stuff that goes wrong, typically there's something every few weeks that will need attention. Older cars suit enthusiasts and those with good mechanical know-how, being able to tackle the minor stuff yourself is key. Having to take a car to a repairer on a frequent basis is both inconvenient and expensive.

90s cars are now old, make no mistake; compared to 70s/80s classics they have much of the complexity that makes new cars more difficult to fix so they're more of a challenge to keep running despite being newer.

Whether this car is a good or bad buy is immaterial, the question the OP needs to ask himself is whether he's the right type of owner for a car this age.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Why would you want to be talked out of that?

Madness
    This. You should get a medal

Master
    I've had a couple of W124s back in the day and they were great cars. My Dad drove Mercs for 40 years, literally up until the day he died and I think his favourite was a W123. My current one is a C207 E Class but I would still buy a W124 coupe if the right one popped up. Go for it.

Speaking of big fast cars with a stack of invoices, who's feeling flush?

Invoices for over £100,000 spent on this fabulous example
    https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...-monza-gse-jg/

Talk me out of this - 1992 Mercedes 500E

Whoever spent £100k restoring that is a complete numpty and is unlikely to ever see his money back. This ones a bit cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384154425688

No matter how well the auction house describe it, I doubt it will fetch more than £30k.

My friends father traded his beautiful Opel Commodore for the Senator and, to be fair, it was a nice car to be in in the late 70s/ early 80s.

Stick with the Merc!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 26th May 2021 at 07:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Whoever spent £100k restoring that is a complete numpty and is unlikely to ever see his money back. This ones a bit cheaper.

No matter how well the auction house describe it, I doubt it will fetch more than £30k.

My friends father traded his beautiful Opel Commodore for the Senator and, to be fair, it was a nice car to be in in the late 70s/ early 80s.

Stick with the Merc!
    I’ve got to second this. That for me personally is a waste of 100K. The car has no historic value.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Stick with the Merc!
    That's true from a purely financial point of view. In fact I would suggest most classic car restoration / high maintenance doesn't stack up when you crunch the numbers.

However to these owners it probably gave them pleasure and at least it has saved a slightly different model for the future.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine had a 500E that I was lucky enough to drive a few times. Awesome car, very well engineered and assembled at the Porsche factory. The engineering is about as solid as you can get and not littered with as much electronic trickery as more modern cars. If there is a good history with the car, I'd still invest in an RAC (or equivalent) inspection beforehand as this could potentially save you thousands should there be anything needing attention.

I would forget the whole idea of old cars, not worth it IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always had a fancy for a 500 SEC, the AMG version is an absolute Bahn Stormer -

Always fancied one of those back in the day.

Well, bumping this because I have an appointment to see this on Monday.

https://shop.mercedes-benz.co.uk/veh...2862F420522/66

I know it's a little older than we'd all like, but two-year warranty and just had an A service?

Wish me (and my license) luck.

Possibly not the car to buy in the middle of a fuel shortage TBH.

Beautiful car, I think Matt has one too and is a big fan. You can change the infotainment unit for an android screen which more options if you're ever interested.

I'd love one but I'm losing the estate battle.

The link doesn’t work for me, I’m gutted, I like vicarious car buying.

Master
    Possibly not the car to buy in the middle of a fuel shortage TBH.
    I think it's a shortage of tanker drivers, rather than fuel per se. Probably just best to get a tanker parked beside your house and problem solved.
    Nice car, enjoy. I have two nephews with old school 6.2L C63s so I know how addictive they are. I have a more frugal version, same colour, same roof etc, just doesn't sing the same tune, nor quite as loudly.

Well, bumping this because I have an appointment to see this on Monday.

https://shop.mercedes-benz.co.uk/veh...2862F420522/66

I know it's a little older than we'd all like, but two-year warranty and just had an A service?

Wish me (and my license) luck.
    Just seen this- you won’t regret getting that! I have had one for a few months now and love it. Incredible sound and great handling in a practical package. Surprisingly good on fuel too, only slightly worse than my old c43 coupe.

That's good to hear, thank you, especially as I spent the day on the road today, and put a deposit on it!

Approve Merc Used, two years unlimited mileage warranty, two new tyres, new MOT, fresh A-Service. One previous owner, under 30k miles, and delivered. I think I'm OK with that! It should be with me in a week or two. Will post pics when it arrives!

Master
    That's good to hear, thank you, especially as I spent the day on the road today, and put a deposit on it!

Approve Merc Used, two years unlimited mileage warranty, two new tyres, new MOT, fresh A-Service. One previous owner, under 30k miles, and delivered. I think I'm OK with that! It should be with me in a week or two. Will post pics when it arrives!
    What a choice can’t wait to see the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, busy couple of days here - as I type, the unloading crew is waiting for my 40' shipping container to arrive (and getting more and more agitated as it doesn't!) The car will probably be this time next week - it was getting serviced, tyres, valeted, etc, but the main hold up might be the lack of super petrol down in Essex! We'll see!

Well, for those of you following along at home, the lifters and carriers were at my house for nearly two hours this morning before they were told that the container wasn't coming - Liverpool port had been closed yesterday, until 2 am this morning, for high winds, and no one knows what the hell.

Bugger.

The car might be with me soon, pending the sourcing of a particular gearbox oil...

It's never simple, is it?

Well, for those of you following along at home, the lifters and carriers were at my house for nearly two hours this morning before they were told that the container wasn't coming - Liverpool port had been closed yesterday, until 2 am this morning, for high winds, and no one knows what the hell.

Bugger.

The car might be with me soon, pending the sourcing of a particular gearbox oil...

It's never simple, is it?
    It was jolly jolly windy here last night though Walter ! 😳

Must have missed it- but where is it coming from?!

The shipping? Or the Mercedes?!

The shipping is all our stuff from Qatar - it's been stuck in Liverpool due (mainly) to the shortage of HGV drivers, and (slightly) to the cock-ups of the shipping firm!

The Mercedes is Chelmsford!

Journeyman

Just seen this. The 500E in your first post would appear to be something of a bargain. And props to the Warwick crew!

The shipping? Or the Mercedes?!

The shipping is all our stuff from Qatar - it's been stuck in Liverpool due (mainly) to the shortage of HGV drivers, and (slightly) to the cock-ups of the shipping firm!

The Mercedes is Chelmsford!
    All is now clear- thought the Merc was in a container somehow

Beautiful car Walter, I love fast estates, you sound very busy with cars and containers so thanks for putting some goodies up on SC

Ha, when the shipping gets here, you won't get me off the SC! And MattOZ - always nice to know there's another Warwick member!