closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling a car - options?

Selling a car - options?

So, we've got 2 cars and we really don't need both. In fact, I've had the 2nd one on SORN for several months and it has done less than 500 miles over the last year. Also, frankly, we could do with the cash, so I'm going to flog the unused one.

It's a 2012 Mondeo diesel, so this is not the kind of thing I want to sell privately or put up on SC. I've got a quote from We Buy Any Car, but are there any alternatives I should try before I punt it to them (and does anyone have any recent experience with how much they are going to try and push the price down when I see them)?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    Try as many online dealers as you can - WBAC has always been the lowest for me. Have had good experiences with Evans Halshaw and Motorway.

We buy any car will give you a fraction of its value.

Garages wont be much better.

Its the price you pay for not putting a for sale sign on a car or an ad in the local paper and selling it yourself.

Unfortunately your car won't be of much interest to dealers so WBAC, Motorway etc will likely lowball you terribly, and then chop a further £500 off when you actually take it to their garage. I'd sell via Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace (both free but expect the usual tyre kickers), or perhaps eBay (£30-40 IIRC). The best measure of what you could get is to look at similar spec Mondeos currently being advertised on the same platforms, though dealers will achieve higher prices than private sellers. More hassle than the online buyers but many £100s more in your pocket at the end of the exercise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Easy life - go to a local, trusted dealer and see what they offer, keeping in mind owning a diesel is only slightly more socially acceptable than slinging one up your sister these days.

They should be a little more generous than WBAC who basically buy cars at rock bottom to stick through auction.

I buy and sell cars so feel free to PM me with more details and I’d be happy to give slightly more focussed advice.

Dave

Frankly I’ve always found it easy to sell cars privately, always sold within a couple of weeks with no hassle. Maybe I’ve been lucky (worked in sales for years) but it’s really not the issue these online sites make you think. Ymmv of course. Ps most of the cars I sold were no fancier than what you’re selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I've sold cars privately, I've found that it has taken a few weeks and a fair amount of hassle, and that was pre-Covid. I do realise that I'll take a hit using WBAC or something similar, but i'm looking for ease and speed in the process.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Journeyman
    Have you got a local car auction you can put it in ? most of the cars webuyanycar buy just go to auction so cut the middle man out.

I have sold a few cars by just putting them through the auctions and got similar or more than what webuyanycar but they will always knock when they see it even on a 3-4 year old car in near mint condition expect them to take +£500 off
    Last edited by Mike1988; 6th May 2021 at 18:19.

Wizzle is worth a try, I found it really painless and got substantially more than WBAC or part ex offers.

Craftsman

Selling a car - options?

Sorry, just re read my comment prob not applicable

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    I just sold a car for £5k. WBAC offered £5340 for it that shrank to £4400 on viewing. Put it on Facebook and Gumtree (no response) and then EBay and Autotrader for about £69 total. All hits came from auto trader and the first to see it bought it. I am in Pembrokeshire though and it’s a long way from anywhere!!

In the end it was pretty painless and probably could have got the £5250 full price if I had pushed, but ease was of importance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try it on SC ,so long as you give an honest description there shouldn't be a problem. There are one or two people on here in the car business.

There are always folks looking for practical, low cost motoring.

Get it clean, tidy and ready to go - fix any niggling issues that would give YOU concern if you were viewing the car for the first time.

We have three diesel cars, and no intention of getting rid of any of them.