closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mountain Bikes - Trek Fuel

Mountain Bikes - Trek Fuel

Does anyone have experience of the Trek Fuel, specifically the EX9.7. I’m looking at a 2014 model but having not ridden since about 2000 grateful for advice.

Not familiar with that particular model but in the sensible price price bracket that I lurk in, I have always found Treks to be good value for money

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Not familiar with that particular model but in the sensible price price bracket that I lurk in, I have always found Treks to be good value for money

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks. The wife is buying a new Trek and the one I’ve seen seems good value for a second hand bike. I’m thinking I’ll just go for it. They seem like good all rounders from the reviews I’ve found.

Grand Master
    You need to ride one and for a few miles, I tried and tried a EX and just cant get on with them,, feel too plush for me just do not like the rebound and way they feel but others love them. Have to say MTB geometry and wheels are more important than anything as its the way it flows across the terrain that matters most.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    You need to ride one and for a few miles, I tried and tried a EX and just cant get on with them,, feel too plush for me just do not like the rebound and way they feel but others love them. Have to say MTB geometry and wheels are more important than anything as its the way it flows across the terrain that matters most.
    Thanks Kerry, that’s helpful. Problem is no ones got any in stock!! Mountain bikes seem even harder to get hold of than Rolex Sports models! It’s been a long time since I bought a bike and even then never really bought one more built them.

I’m tempted to also get my titanium hard tail upgraded but that would cost about the same as the price of the Trek!

Master
    The 9.7 from memory was near the top of the range, I think there may have been a 9.9 above but without checking not 100%
    A good bike very capable.
    Wouldn’t have been cheap when new.

Craftsman
    One thing to keep in mind is that a lot has changed with bikes since 2014 & the choice of replacement components for older standards is getting smaller by the day .

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner monkey View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that a lot has changed with bikes since 2014 & the choice of replacement components for older standards is getting smaller by the day .
    But at the same time 10 speed is and always will be fine and very affordable. MTB hubs will take 8/9/10/11/12 so if you have a legendary frame set with a nice set of wheels/tyres and some cheeky stoppers like Hope 4 pots then the groupset can be swooped when you’ve worn it out. Should last quite a while though unless you’re a loon who does 200-300 mile a week on one!!!
    RIAC

Just looked at a pic and noticed the head angle! It’s also a triple.
    Would have been put on the ‘no’ list even in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Just looked at a pic and noticed the head angle! It’s also a triple.
    Would have been put on the ‘no’ list even in 2014
    I have a Trek Fuel Ex something (can’t remember which number) around that age and it does the job, but these issues are both true.

The head angle is a bit upright for proper trail riding and with the triple at the front the gears do slip a bit. Plus I find I’m constantly changing gear looking for the right one.

It depends what riding you plan on doing. It work well for light trails and gentler rides with the family, but there are much better bikes out there if you plan on doing harder trails with jumps etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    I have a Trek Fuel Ex something (can’t remember which number) around that age and it does the job, but these issues are both true.

The head angle is a bit upright for proper trail riding and with the triple at the front the gears do slip a bit. Plus I find I’m constantly changing gear looking for the right one.

It depends what riding you plan on doing. It work well for light trails and gentler rides with the family, but there are much better bikes out there if you plan on doing harder trails with jumps etc.

Thanks, I suppose there are a couple of factors. At the moment the plan is family rides with my primary school age kids and wife (who hasn’t ridden a bike in about 35 years!) but also something I can try some more challenging trails / North Shore. There is also price. I can’t justify £4K+ on a new bike (not that you can get hold of one at the moment) so it’s striking a balance on spec/value.

Also I presumed I could just upgrade drivetrain / suspension / Stem / Bars etc over time if I feel the need. I would probably prefer a single front ring eventually and can probably work with 1 x 11/12. It’s been so long since I’ve ridden I just need to get back into it. The last bike I had (have) is a titanium hard tail with 3x7!

Just buy a decent modern hardtail with a dropper post.
    Seems odd to pick one not very suitable bike from the past.
    If nothing new then something lightly used, people always want to upgrade...

I have a giant trance-x in my loft that while older and 26in is a far better proposition than that trek especially if you want to try some more interesting trails, 130mm up front and a double/slx drivetrain. It’s worth about £350 (this is not a thinly veiled sales post) how much is that Trek?

Craftsman
    They are an OK bike but iirc its the rocker style suspension and i never got on with them or the orange single pivot for that matter .
    Parts are getting worse if truth be told . I bought drivetrain spares for one of the bikes in Jan and have them just in case.
    I still ride a lot and have been recently my whyte e120 xt and rebuilt that during the first lockdown ( put a wireless dropper on too ) and the XT triple stuff is eyewatering on the cost front if you can find it , as mentioned geo is a bit uld school but its a very fast xc bike which is getting some hammer of late .

Not really enough info here to make a decision, but unless it's pennies I'd probably pass on it - bikes have changed a lot in the last 7yrs.

2014 Carbon, 3x, head angle (as mentioned) - I'd give it a miss unless you've got more money to chuck at it

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Just buy a decent modern hardtail with a dropper post.
    Seems odd to pick one not very suitable bike from the past.
    If nothing new then something lightly used, people always want to upgrade...

I have a giant trance-x in my loft that while older and 26in is a far better proposition than that trek especially if you want to try some more interesting trails, 130mm up front and a double/slx drivetrain. It’s worth about £350 (this is not a thinly veiled sales post) how much is that Trek?
    Thanks, it’s all a bit of a minefield since I last bought a bike! What size / year / suspension / brakes does the Giant have. Seems like a good value proposition. The Trek is £1275 and has been serviced and has a new dropper post. Looking at EBay the price doesn’t seem off given it’s coming from a shop and the age/spec, I guess demand is high at the moment?

Grand Master
    I ride 1 x 10.

You dont need anything else except a good heart, average legs, and the desire to ride.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Thanks, it’s all a bit of a minefield since I last bought a bike! What size / year / suspension / brakes does the Giant have. Seems like a good value proposition. The Trek is £1275 and has been serviced and has a new dropper post. Looking at EBay the price doesn’t seem off given it’s coming from a shop and the age/spec, I guess demand is high at the moment?
    To be honest this seems like a lot to spend on a 7 yr old bike. I’ve been looking at upgrading my Trek Fuel so been looking at used bikes around that price a lot recently and you can get some really decent bikes for that price that are only a few years old.

I think you’re better off getting something around 3yrs old, possibly even a hard tail as mentioned.

I’m not an expert but as example you could get something like this for similar money if you want full suspension. Although not top spec like the Trek would have been at the time, it’s a 2020 model so the spec will be more up to date.

(BTW I have no relation to this eBay ad, I’m just using it as an example).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specializ....m46890.l49286

The Trek is £1275 and has been serviced and has a new dropper post.
    That's daft money for a 7yo bike. They really are preying on those who are just getting in to biking and are unable to buy new due to demand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb89 View Post
    That's daft money for a 7yo bike. They really are preying on those who are just getting in to biking and are unable to buy new due to demand.
    Completely agree, way to much money for a 7 year old bike. Especially seeing as they've changed so much in those years. The one linked in the eBay ad is a much better price.

I’ve done some research on eBay / Pinkbike and it seems close to the going rate. Particularly as this one has been serviced and comes with a three month warranty. I could buy cheaper for sure but I’d want to factor in service costs from a private seller. The new Fuel is £3900 and even if I could buy I wouldn’t pay that for one. Interested in what price you think this one should be pitched at? Maybe I could talk them down!😊

I’ve done some research on eBay / Pinkbike and it seems close to the going rate. Particularly as this one has been serviced and comes with a three month warranty. I could buy cheaper for sure but I’d want to factor in service costs from a private seller. The new Fuel is £3900 and even if I could buy I wouldn’t pay that for one. Interested in what price you think this one should be pitched at? Maybe I could talk them down!
    Where are you based? Do you have any local retailers that may have stock of new or used bikes, other than the shop that's clearly trying their luck?

Hard to say what it's worth, I've no idea really, I wouldn't buy it for more than about £300... so much has changed with bike geometry/parts recently and even a low end bike now will be miles better than that to ride.

You could pick up a Marin Rift Zone for £1600 new (my local has stock), and it would blow this out of the water.

A brand new Fuse is £1,149: https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/fu...ext=96021-7201

Giant Fathom £1400: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/fathom-29-2

Giant Stance FS £1700: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/stance

Vitus Mythique FS £1349: https://vitusbikes.com/collections/m...-mountain-bike

I know many of these won't be in stock - £1250 is a bit of a weird budget, it definitely should be enough for a really good hardtail or an 'OK' (heavy, cheap components but trail ready) Full Sus.

Go to a well rated independent bike shop, tell them what you want and see what they say.

Where are you based? Do you have any local retailers that may have stock of new or used bikes, other than the shop that's clearly trying their luck?

Hard to say what it's worth, I've no idea really, I wouldn't buy it for more than about £300... so much has changed with bike geometry/parts recently and even a low end bike now will be miles better than that to ride.

You could pick up a Marin Rift Zone for £1600 new (my local has stock), and it would blow this out of the water.

A brand new Fuse is £1,149: https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/fu...ext=96021-7201

Giant Fathom £1400: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/fathom-29-2

Giant Stance FS £1700: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/stance

Vitus Mythique FS £1349: https://vitusbikes.com/collections/m...-mountain-bike

I know many of these won't be in stock - £1250 is a bit of a weird budget, it definitely should be enough for a really good hardtail or an 'OK' (heavy, cheap components but trail ready) Full Sus.

Go to a well rated independent bike shop, tell them what you want and see what they say.
    Thanks, that’s helpful. I’m in London but shop I’ve been to locally has long lead times on mountain bikes.

I’ll keep looking around for now.

Craftsman
    But at the same time 10 speed is and always will be fine and very affordable. MTB hubs will take 8/9/10/11/12 so if you have a legendary frame set with a nice set of wheels/tyres and some cheeky stoppers like Hope 4 pots then the groupset can be swooped when you’ve worn it out. Should last quite a while though unless you’re a loon who does 200-300 mile a week on one!!!

Very true , unfortunately availability & choice of hubs & rims for older standards are limited , finding a decent replacement fork is near impossible .
    Thankfully I kept a good parts stock to keep my old outdated bikes rolling :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner monkey View Post
    Very true , unfortunately availability & choice of hubs & rims for older standards are limited , finding a decent replacement fork is near impossible .
    Thankfully I kept a good parts stock to keep my old outdated bikes rolling :)
    Same hub on MTB for 9/10/11/12 speed on shimano
    RIAC

Master
    Same hub on MTB for 9/10/11/12 speed on shimano
    9/10/11 speed will all fit on a standard Shimano freehub but for 12 speed you need a Shimano Micro Spline freehub which may not be compatible with older wheels.

10-12 years ago all MTB hubs were 135mm QR rear and 100mm front, then 142mm bolt through rear appeared which has now been replaced by 148mm 'boost' and 110mm front.

Then there's the countless bottom bracket and headset standards introduced over the last 10 or so years...

Craftsman
    BB types over the last few years drives you mental at times .

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    ...through rear appeared which has now been replaced by 148mm 'boost' and 110mm front...
    Don't forget the newer 157mm 'Super Boost' rear hub standard.

Whenever someone starts talking about BBs, hubs and headset standards I always come back to this: