closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it a bad time to sell ?

Apprentice

Is it a bad time to sell ?

Hi All,

I don't post much on here, if fact I think I've posted 5 times since joining. So members I'm after your thought on selling a watch at this moment in time.

A couple of years ago I had my Rolex GMT master ( 16750, year 1973, bought new by me, all papers and box) valued by watch finder. Price range was £9500 - £8750. I didn't go any further with the sale and put the watch back in the safe.

My daughters house needs some renovation, I thought the proceeds from a watch sale would be better used than having it sit in a safe.

So contacted watch finder again and was initially quoted a high price of £8500. Really disappointed with that. I still had the quote from the last time and replied to watch finder asking why the lower estimate. The response was supply and demand and other reasons, but we can improve the offer from £8500 to £9000. Would you like to sell it ?

Ive had a bit search for a watch similar to mine and whilst there are some for sale I think mine matches or exceeds the standard of those.

So TZ members is it a bad time to sell and should I just wait till next year ? Your comments Wellcome.

I am realistic and know the reseller has to cover costs and make a profit. I do use the sale prices I see as a guide and remove a decent % as a profit margin.

Steve

I don't think the market has changed that much since your first valuation. I suspect this is down to Watchfinder's desire for your piece at any one moment in time. I've also known a large variation in offer value based on who gives the offer...once having one buyer offer me about 2/3 the price of the next within a few days when I accidentally received two offers to buy. I think they work on about 35% profit and they will probably have to factor in a complete service for a vintage piece.

Have you tried other dealers like Parkers, just to get a comparison?
    Last edited by Christian; 26th April 2021 at 09:19.

As suggested, try Parkers.

I would be surprised if they didnt give you a better price than Watchfinders has.

Try
    Miltonaires, Blowers or Watches of Whitby.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If its in original condition with no service parts and good condition at that I would value it way higher than that estimate, box and papers, one owner give it great provenance.

As a private sale I would have thought nearer £15K, shoot me down if I'm way out but selling to a dealer for £9k definitely looks like you'll be taking way less than what its worth..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    If its in original condition with no service parts and good condition at that I would value it way higher than that estimate, box and papers, one owner give it great provenance.

As a private sale I would have thought nearer £15K, shoot me down if I'm way out but selling to a dealer for £9k definitely looks like you'll be taking way less than what its worth..
    Depends on the condition (I think the watch must be a 1675, rather than 16750, if it's from 1973), but definitely do not take the £9k offer... Watchfinder at its best...

For vintage, there has never been a better time to sell.
    Prices and demand are sky high.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    For vintage, there has never been a better time to sell.
    Prices and demand are sky high.
    But tomorrow might be better.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I know someone who approached WF and they offered 17k for the watch. Since improved to 24k.

WF are out to ride you every chance they get.

All depends on the originality of your watch but if it is a one-owner, all original parts with box & papers 1675 from 1973 then you are looking at £15k+ from a dealer.....maybe even £20k....all depends what they have been smoking that day. If you are in the NE then suggest you try contacting David Summerfield jewellers. By a strange coincidence they just happen to have a full set 1675 from 1973 for sale......priced at £30,000........

Master
    OP has asked a similar question before:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Obtain-a-value

Looks like a lovely watch I must say. You probably need one of our resident experts to chime in as to its value today. Most people suggest that WF is not the place to go for vintage Rolex!

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a higher supply of watches really.

Not everyone has kept their income and saved on commuting and holidays, there are a not inconsiderable number of people who are far worse off today than they were 2 years ago.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Apprentice

Appreciate your info

TZ members thanks for the generous amount of information you have shared with me. Some of the resellers ( well all actually ) I have never heard of and will be on my contact list.

Sounds like a bit searching for a suitable buyer is on the jobs list.

Again, Thanks

Master
    From reviewing Chrono 24 I feel there’s a real lack of UK sellers across the board so you could get a pretty decent sale to uk buyers who avoid the customs charge . I also gather that the customs charge appears to be one way from EU / world to us. I gather us selling to EU does not create a charge . So you could benefit from the lopsided market

Craftsman
    Op has the 1675 gone to Rolex for a service?the dial isn’t correct should be a mk2 hands look like they’ve been changed and also looks like a service insert nice set all the same but it would hurt the value

Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    Op has the 1675 gone to Rolex for a service?the dial isn’t correct should be a mk2 hands look like they’ve been changed and also looks like a service insert nice set all the same but it would hurt the value
    It seems to be an MK6 service dial, was still in production in late 70s so likely changed during a service then

Craftsman
    Op in your original pics you have the sales receipt but no coa papers which should be punched do you have these?

Apprentice

Yes I do

[QUOTE=Matdaytona;5734530]Op in your original pics you have the sales receipt but no coa papers which should be punched do you have these?

Last time I thought about selling my watch this was mentioned and not being a Rolex buff didn't know what the term meant.

It appears I do but my details have been enter by hand which they said was unusual. I would have liked to attach a photo but for it seems my image exceed the data allowance. Yes willing to post but cannot downsize to comply with Forum limits.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=HairySteve;5734605]
    Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    Op in your original pics you have the sales receipt but no coa papers which should be punched do you have these?

Last time I thought about selling my watch this was mentioned and not being a Rolex buff didn't know what the term meant.

It appears I do but my details have been enter by hand which they said was unusual. I would have liked to attach a photo but for it seems my image exceed the data allowance. Yes willing to post but cannot downsize to comply with Forum limits.
    Use the Tapatalk app to post. It will adjust the photos for you automagically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....you can also use a free online provider like imgbb. This is what I do, simple and effective

Apprentice
    D75E1DE4-44AA-40DC-93C6-5D8962857338.jpg
    Hopefully Tapatalk has done it’s job. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by HairySteve View Post
    Hopefully Tapatalk has done it’s job. Steve

Unfortunately its in 16x9 resolution for me.

Apprentice

As requested

This time in a more viewable size

Journeyman
    Personally i dont even bother looking at overseas pieces on C24. The tax is a killer!!! Exchange rates a terrible. U pay so much more than they show

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    From reviewing Chrono 24 I feel there’s a real lack of UK sellers across the board so you could get a pretty decent sale to uk buyers who avoid the customs charge . I also gather that the customs charge appears to be one way from EU / world to us. I gather us selling to EU does not create a charge . So you could benefit from the lopsided market

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Trying not to derail the thread. that seems strange - we are a 3rd country now after all? I know my friends in Portugal are having a lot of problems receiving goods from the UK now - what with all the extra paperwork.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th April 2021 at 20:13.

It seems like WF are trying to move stock with over 80 Rolex models currently on sale.

Appreciate all were over priced to start with though!

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/specia...erby=BestMatch

Master
    If I was to sell a Rolex, I would go here. This is an auction where the buyer pays the fees and you pay nothing. You can check the prices realised under the "sold" sign. The prices achieved are higher than those in the SC where you are sort of expected to sell on a mates rates basis. Here is the url.

https://www.watchcollecting.com/?ref...5D=live&page=1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If I was to sell a Rolex, I would go here. This is an auction where the buyer pays the fees and you pay nothing. You can check the prices realised under the "sold" sign. The prices achieved are higher than those in the SC where you are sort of expected to sell on a mates rates basis. Here is the url.

https://www.watchcollecting.com/?ref...5D=live&page=1
    Aside from the fees how is this any different from eBay? Does it offer any buyer protection?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Aside from the fees how is this any different from eBay? Does it offer any buyer protection?
    All the watches, bar a few, sell on the day. The buyer has, as far as I know, the normal legal protection. They can ask the seller all the usual questions.

From a sellers point of view, it is almost perfect.

Master
    From what I see - its just a matchmaking service. As a seller you pay £100 for a professional photographer to come and take nice pics, but ultimately the risk stays with the buyer/seller and WC make their £600 fee. They do claim to have never had any issues when I spoke to them - but then they would say that.

Worth a try I'd say - the most you lose is £100 unless you can provide nice pics yourself.