closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AD discount for display watch?

Craftsman

AD discount for display watch?

I went into an the local ADs for the first time at the weekend - up to now I have only bought online. I live in a county town, and the ADs don’t hold much stock, but one did have a Tudor 1926 which might be my next purchase. They only had one in stock, and it was in their display window. The watch has probably been handled and tried on by many people, it did not have any stickers, and it has been sitting in a hot display for who knows how long, so would you expect a discount?

Doubtful, unless it is showing damage. Otherwise, they'd be potentially forever selling at a discount and replacing the one in the window. I think any discount you get will be because the AD wants your business. Worth asking though because it's a good angle to work.

Master
    Id be surprised if you got any discount on any Tudor atm regardless of where its been

For me I think it's less about expecting a discount and more, does the AD need to discount to sell it.

I'm not familiar with the reference, is it discontinued? Popular model?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I think that’s a common paradox with buying from brick and mortar stores. You go in, try the watch on and buy the one you’ve tried (potentially), and because it’s a display model, the strap might be a bit creased, the watch might have a few swirlies etc etc. You are then effectively buying a lightly used watch.

Conversely, if you order online from say a manufacturer, or a dealer with a large inventory, you should get a box-fresh watch from the warehouse (though I accept there are numerous threads where this is not the case).... though never really got to try it on and you have the hassle of returns if it’s not what you expected.

I’m not sure what the alternative would be (empty cases?) but I feel uncomfortable paying new prices for display models. Maybe I’m just a cheapskate!

Craftsman
    If I can’t get a discount I think I would prefer for the AD to keep the display watch, and order in a fresh one for me. I am willing to wait for it to be delivered. I have no idea if they would be willing to do that either. I will have to go in again and talk it over.

But it was not a great experience in the shop on Saturday. Both the assistant and I were wearing masks, and the shop was noisy with other people, so we struggled to hear each other. The assistant suggested that I remove my mask so he could hear me, but I was not having that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Id be surprised if you got any discount on any Tudor atm regardless of where its been
    I'd still expect a discount on Tudors that aren't a Black Bay / Pelagos / new release, to be honest. I'd want a decent discount on a 1926.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I'd still expect a discount on Tudors that aren't a Black Bay / Pelagos / new release, to be honest. I'd want a decent discount on a 1926.
    Agree...I wouldn't be paying RRP for one.

If they want to keep this one on display they should accept without any issue to order a brand new one.

If they're not bothered and they want to do some business (which I expect after a lockdown), you should definitely be able to get a discount. I personally always have on watches on display, they are always little marks here and there.
    They can say sometimes that they can give it a polish and therefore sell it without a discount, but don't buy this crap...

On a 1926, which is not the best selling model, far from it, you should definitely be able to get a decent discount if you work a bit on them

Master
    I would expect a discount or sweetener on any Tudor that isn’t a new release or limited addition personally.

Master
    On the one hand, when spending many thousands of pounds on a watch, I'd want it to be flawless (same buying a car, or anything else, so why not a watch) - and this is a reasonable expectation. However, what is an AD to do, short of having dummy 'demo' models?

If it's a high demand watch, they aren't going to discount it ... but then, if it's that high demand, it wouldn't be in the window which means they could probably get you one to order - at full price.

So, I think a discount is a reasonable thing to want, but probably not really going to happen with premium marques these days. That's my take on it, anyway. I would certainly ask, though, for a watch in the OP's example.

Craftsman
    But what sort of deal does an AD have with luxury brands like Rolex/Tudor? Is it a cozy relationship with high margins, and buy back for anything that does not sell or needs refurbishing, like display models? I imagine display models cost the AD no where near RRP. It seems to be very much a protected business model, for example you can’t buy Tudors direct from the brand, the web site just directs you to your nearest AD.

It reminds me very much of buying hearing aids, which is very much geared towards buying only through dealers/audiologists, wear the mark up is horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    But what sort of deal does an AD have with luxury brands like Rolex/Tudor? Is it a cozy relationship with high margins, and buy back for anything that does not sell or needs refurbishing, like display models? I imagine display models cost the AD no where near RRP. It seems to be very much a protected business model, for example you can’t buy Tudors direct from the brand, the web site just directs you to your nearest AD.

It reminds me very much of buying hearing aids, which is very much geared towards buying only through dealers/audiologists, wear the mark up is horrific.
    I suspect the AD works off something like a 35-40% margin.

Journeyman
    That may be the case but iv never managed to get a discount from an AD. Maybe a polish while im waiting, but no money off!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I suspect the AD works off something like a 35-40% margin.

I wouldn’t expect a discount on account of the watch being in the window, it’s been an accepted and often requisite part of the retail model (the one that puts the watch on your wrist ahead of purchase for your informed consideration) forever. If you value having a shop in your town that sells these things, pays local rates, pays people from your community, then it’s all part of the deal, in my view. Different on high volume stuff of course, but it’s implicit regarding low (single) volume items.

However, I would still recognise that certain watches will be discounted as part of the standard retail model, just by dint of what they are.

I wouldn't pay full price for a watch that wasn't in ex-works condition. The shop should be happy to order you a fresh one, if it's a big chain it will not be an issue.