closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Day / Date Wheel Alignment

Master

Day / Date Wheel Alignment

Delighted with my recent purchase which is under warranty... but, the day and date wheels are slightly out of alignment. Movement is an ETA 2836-2.

It’s not really noticeable, but I have noticed it.

Would you consider this to be within tolerance, or is it the sort of thing that needs fixing? I’m actually ok with it, but as a serial flipper it’s something I’d feel obliged to mention to any prospective purchaser if I did decide to sell and ideally wouldn’t want to compromise the desirability of the watch in any way.

Thoughts appreciated!

I would guess that this is acceptable on a watch like this. The precision of the datewheel and the mechanism of ditto probably allow this alignment.

Master
    If you have OCD like me then that would drive me mad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would want it sorting, is it any better with the English days assuming it has both?

As you have just got it why not ask for a replacement?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The date looks fine to me just the day is out of bonk. In the sane world it’s fine, but I’ve sold watches in the past for ‘imperfections’ like that as something in watches brings out the ocd in me (oddly I’m not ocd about anything else)! - I’d get it sorted personally

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you have OCD like me then that would drive me mad

My pedantry and OCD levels are high, but it isn’t personally bothering me. It’s not noticeable when looking at the watch from a normal distance, only when you bring it close to scrutinise the detail. I’m not planning to sell it, but if history is any indicator of the future... then I need to consider the views of prospective purchasers.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    I would want it sorting, is it any better with the English days assuming it has both?

As you have just got it why not ask for a replacement?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Its slightly out whether I choose English or German. It’s not easily / immediately replaceable for a variety of reasons I won’t get into, but this isn’t a standard spec for this model.

Don’t really want the faff of the dealer sending it back to Germany either...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The date looks fine to me just the day is out of bonk. In the sane world it’s fine, but I’ve sold watches in the past for ‘imperfections’ like that as something in watches brings out the ocd in me (oddly I’m not ocd about anything else)! - I’d get it sorted personally

Agreed - it’s the day wheel that’s on the wonk.

It's not a large misalignment but it is present, and you've noticed it. I'd send it back for an alignment. I'm not sure if the very narrow window on the dial makes it more or less obvious?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Grand Master
    How does anyone think this could be fixed! There’s no such thing as an ‘ adjustment’.

There is no fix other than a replacement day wheel which may be no better.

Having the day and date sited in this position requires bespoke day/ date wheels, Damasko may be prepared to supply a replacement but that’s the only way forward, a standard ETA day wheel won’t align correctly. Having the day/date positioned this way seems like a pointless change from the standard orientation anyway, but I guess it makes the watch a little different.

In my opinion the degree of misalignment is tiny and I really wouldn’t be fretting about it. Enjoy the watch, that’s what it was bought for. Maybe expecting perfection from a small manufacturer is unrealistic?

Craftsman
    If it’s a keeper, you’ll get used to it. But if you think you may sell it someday, you’ll always kick yourself later if you lose a sale or sell for less money because you didn’t get it fixed (especially for free under warranty).

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    How does anyone think this could be fixed! There’s no such thing as an ‘ adjustment’.

There is no fix other than a replacement day wheel which may be no better.

Having the day and date sited in this position requires bespoke day/ date wheels, Damasko may be prepared to supply a replacement but that’s the only way forward, a standard ETA day wheel won’t align correctly. Having the day/date positioned this way seems like a pointless change from the standard orientation anyway, but I guess it makes the watch a little different.

In my opinion the degree of misalignment is tiny and I really wouldn’t be fretting about it. Enjoy the watch, that’s what it was bought for. Maybe expecting perfection from a small manufacturer is unrealistic?
    Perfect answer 👍👍

It's so miniscule that it's not worth bothering about. Wear it and enjoy it.

Is it really that noticeable when not magnified? It has occurred to me that it may align better over time as the mechanism wears/settles as it is brand new - have you tried putting it into the setting position and whizzing through the days a few times?

Master
    Thanks all - appreciate your feedback.

And thanks to Paul for the technical input too.

I’d only be sending it back for future selling purposes; it really isn’t noticeable in day to day use. So I’m fairly sure I’ll keep hold of it rather than it being sent back to Germany, but will have a think over the next few days.

Grand Master
    I've had a think about this and I still can`t see a way to resolve this by intervention/adjustment. Trying to mess round with the day wheel jumper spring or the lubrication may give a slight improvement but I would be very reluctant to advocate this.

My strong advice is to accept it as it is, if the watch was sold I can`t see a new owner being worried about it, provided the day wheel behaves as it should I don`t see this as a fault.

Master
    This is difficult but as Paul has said, no easy fix. I had a similar issue with a watch of mine and the boutique was quite adamant that it is within tolerance and will not touch it. This was soon after purchase.

Bizarrely I had a Rolex Seadweller from new, and the date was badly misaligned - you couldn’t see the bottom loop of the number 9 at all! I took it into St James the day after purchase as I worked just round the corner at the time. I left it with them as instructed and then had a call later that day where they asked me to bring the papers, box and receipt into Mappin and Webb (where I’d purchased the watch) the next day as they were not going to be able to fix the issue which they agreed was not acceptable. I was issued a refund but to this day I have no idea why they couldn’t fix the issue
    or just replace the date wheel!

It can be adjusted but imho it's not really worth it in this case and I'm sure the manufacturer will say it's within tolerance.

The trouble is the print on the day and date wheel is never completely consistent, for example you can line up the date to be perfectly in the middle of the window on say the 10th but it will be very slightly too high or low on anther date, likewise with the day wheel, so getting perfect alignment throughout the calendar is nigh on impossible and this is made more so with day/date windows. Essentially there's always an element of compromise unfortunately.

Anyhow in the OP's case the day is very marginally too low. To rectify this you can adjust the longer section of the double jumper (part no. 2784 from memory). Pulling the spring down very slightly will move the day wheel up. Trouble is you don't want to increase or decrease the tension as the day wheel either just jam or it won't have a nice positive click on change over. Also you don't want to change the position on the horizontal plain. So there's a bit of a knack to it but the day wheel can be can be repositioned slightly. However with the OP's example I don't think it's worth it, maybe point it out when it goes in for a service and see if they rectify it then.

Oh quick and a quick handy hint to Paul, I always line up WED with 22 as there's lots of strong horizontal lines to align. Plus if you do try adjusting the double jumper try and tweak it as close to the main body of the part as possible.

Cheers,
    Gary

Grand Master
    Thanks for posting that, Gary, you’ve probably had more encounters with the 2836 than I have.

I recall having a 2836 which had problems with the day wheel not snapping over smartly and I vaguely remember tweaking the jumper spring slightly to get it working. I think the spring had been distorted in the past, the watch in question definitely had history.

The spring isn’t designed to be adjusted, but as Gary points out it can be done.........I stand corrected. If it was my own watch I’d leave well alone.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 26th April 2021 at 22:26.

Whilst alinement is out I would leave it. It cannot be that noticeable on then wrist.
    I don’t think I have a day date watch where both wheels line up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Whilst alinement is out I would leave it. It cannot be that noticeable on then wrist.
    I don’t think I have a day date watch where both wheels line up perfectly.

As above. I have a DA37 (2006) and DC 56 (2009) which are both out by a similar miniscule amount and it's not noticeable in normal use. Unless of course you carry a loupe with you to read the day/date? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.