closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bargain 'Omega Seamaster' anyone?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Bargain 'Omega Seamaster' anyone?

Someone being naughty on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324581752...IAAOSwELNgfs8g

There are few things on ebay that irritate me more than cynical and deliberate misrepresentation that is done in such a way to deliberately mislead and yet leave the buyer with no protection.

This has to be one of the most subtle, yet egregious versions I've ever seen. On the face of it, it is a perfectly legitimate sale of a few odds and sods, and yet:

Front and centre is what looks to the innocent like it could be an Omega Seamaster. The bezel is gone, but the promise of a Cal 601 might be pretty tempting. There follows a series of photographs that repeatedly manage to be impressively coy about the 'Omega' - a flash here, an out of focus picture there, It's as bad as the milder end of certain threads in the boy's room! Enough to tempt, but not enough for due diligence.

but nothing that would allow an increasingly hopeful beginner from thinking they've found a bargain. This culminates in:

A shot which shows enough of a blurred picture of a poorly finished movement to see the word 'Omega' clearly. I've reported it to ebay, but the seller isn't claiming it is anything other than what it is - a job lot of vintage watches; he's letting the carefully curated pictures do the talking. As a result, I doubt they will do anything.

Now you might feel that this is all coincidence, but, unlike every other pile of scrap on ebay that doesn't mention a specific watch of quality, this has a reserve and, perhaps more significantly, the seller mentions other significant watches in his previous sales. He knows he's selling a pup that he's put some effort into making look like a pearl. So, it's really hard to think this isn't deliberate. With a reserve, if the bidding doesn't go silly the first time, reel it in and try again. And of course 'no returns' and in this case, there would be no grounds for them. Face it, you could easily find a fair few fake watches being sold off in this manner, but the subtlety of this one is worth commenting on. So I have.

*Edit* and still in reserve at £43!
    Last edited by M4tt; 25th April 2021 at 14:02.

eBay is such a cess pool at times. The amount of times there's a lengthy listing and right at the bottom they put something like "I think it's genuine but it might be a copy"... clearly they know full well what it is, and sticking that 60 lines of text down in the hope the buyer doesn't make it that far...

Listing looks to have been pulled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Listing looks to have been pulled.

It's back up as a £120 buy it now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324590072...AAAOSwPqhgfs8i

Cheeky!

Previous listing ended at £41.93 but hadn’t met the reserve.

Craftsman

Bargain 'Omega Seamaster' anyone?

Error , my apologies
    Last edited by Norbert; 25th April 2021 at 14:59.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Previous listing ended at £41.93 but hadn’t met the reserve.
    Ah sorry didn’t notice that.

Art, watches and cars are often targets for crooks and scumbags to rip people off.

I would not even look at an advert like that

God they are rough ! Seller is a joker as it looks like the sort of watches I see at boot sales every week for a couple quid .
    In fact that's probably were they bought them!

It's a well known sales teaser.

Pile of old crap and a glimpse of something that could be more interesting...........
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Iv seen ads like this before. Be very careful.