So I’ve never really ‘got into’ alcohol - my father was in the drinks trade and as a kid we always had a house full of booze, no locks on the cupboards and - rather against what you’d imagine - my brother and I never decided to pilfer some for a sly sip - it always smelt awful to me and I had no interest. Then growing up I started drinking lager like every other teenager, got drunk like everyone else but still didn’t really like the taste - tried whisky, thought it was ok, but stuck with beer as it satisfied my thirst as much as anything else. Then I met my now wife - who whilst not teetotal has about 2 drinks a year - and started working in the Advertising field in Soho which involved client lunches, drinks after work and all that. I often had a bit too much to drink - wine with lunch, beer after work - but oddly to this day I’ve literally never bought a bottle of wine to drink at home, I did buy the odd crate of beer but we never drank alcohol at home at all. The wine thing is odd - I think I drink it if I have to but can’t say I really enjoy it and it gives me instant gut ache if I drink it without food. In an odd way I associate alcohol with work not pleasure! I’ve never drunk enough to consider giving it up, always done it socially just to fit in I guess (and as a tall large tall man I don’t get easily drunk) - but after a year in lockdown - and with zero alcohol intake, which was so easy it didn’t even occur to me until I sat down with a cold pint in my hand last week - I found my first alcoholic drink in a year truly revolting (it was a craft IPA so I did make an effort!) A couple of days later had a G&T - again, revolting!
The upshot is that at 52 ’ve decided to admit I just don’t enjoy alcohol at all, in fact I never really have, so I’m not going to bother with it any more. I’m just curious if anyone out there feels the same or has a similar relationship with alcohol? I’m not sure whether my body chemistry doesn’t suit it, perhaps I have an intolerance to something in alcohol? Everybody tells me it’s amazing stuff and for 30+ years I followed like the emperors new clothes but the reality for me is - nope, don’t enjoy it at all. Am I alone??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk