closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Statins and weight loss

Statins and weight loss

Just looking for a little advice or info about Statins and weight loss.

About a year ago I was prescribed Statins due to high cholesterol which I've had for a good few years. Yes I eat pretty unhealthy crap and haven't really changed my diet in the last year but over the last few months I've lost 2 and a half stone.
    I have been around 17 to 17.5 stone for year's and at 6 foot 1 inch not really looked overweight other than a bit of a beer belly even tho I don't drink.
    I didn't really notice it until people started commenting on me looking slimmer and the fact that I now tighten my belt a few notches less now.

I started thinking maybe it's the statins helping me lose weight but even in the last 2 weeks I've lost about 7lbs so maybe it might be something else even though I feel good.

Does anyone have any experience of weight loss using statins or should I maybe speak to a doctor.

Any advice would be welcome.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sickie; 24th April 2021 at 20:22.

Stations and weight loss

I thought that this was going to be about the standard of cuisine offered at National Rail cafes.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I'm not a medical professional nor would I suggest seeking medical advice on an Internet forum. If it was me and I suffered, sudden, unexplained weight loss I would go see a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    If it was me and I suffered, sudden, unexplained weight loss I would go see a doctor.
    This. If you've not changed your diet and aren't exercising more, this amount of weight loss sounds potentially problematic, so worth getting checked out by a doctor.

Doctor.
    Now.

Straight to the doctor. Don't leave it, get an appt Monday morning.

Tapeworms? Or even slow worms?

As others have said, go get it checked. It’s probably nothing, but better safe etc

Bloody autocorrect. Changed to correct title lol.

OK so it seems the general consensus is Doctor's.

I'll call them Monday and see what's up.

Hopefully nothing as everything seems OK in term's of feeling good and certainly no loss of appetite

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I thought that this was going to be about the standard of cuisine offered at National Rail cafes.
    Fixed the title lol. I guess autocorrect doesn't know what statins is

2.5 st loss due to statins, not a chance in my opinion.

you need to see your GP unless a Gypsy Thinner curse has been put on you to explain it.

I take statins and notice zero weight loss effect.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    2.5 st loss due to statins, not a chance in my opinion.

you need to see your GP unless a Gypsy Thinner curse has been put on you to explain it.
    Like it I quite liked the Steven King movie although I've never read the book.

As far as I know I haven't been cursed

Blog Entries
    Been on statins for a few years now, definitely no weight loss. Especially since lockdown!
    Perhaps as others have said it would be worth getting it checked out.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Been on statins for a few years now, definitely no weight loss. Especially since lockdown!
    Perhaps as others have said it would be worth getting it checked out.
    ^^^ This ^^^

I have been on Statins for quite a few years and weight loss has never been mentioned nor experienced.
    The only thing I remember was being told not to eat grapefruit.
    As has been said, go and see a doctor, make sure they are also aware of any other medication you may be taking.

After 19 attempts to call the doctors I eventually got through.
    Earliest appointment with a nurse practitioner is 7th May.
    Makes me feel sorry for old people just trying to get to speak to a doctor let alone see one.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Makes me feel sorry for old people just trying to get to speak to a doctor let alone see one.

Did you explain that you have rapid unintentional weight loss?

I'd try 111 (edit: sorry, had written 101) and see if they can get you an appointment somewhere.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 27th April 2021 at 00:25.

Yes I explained but tbh they just seemed not bothered.

I'll keep weighing myself over the next week to see if I lose any more then call 101 if I do.

Statins and weight loss

I have to agree with the others and suggest you cal 111. Rapid and unexplained weight loss is not to be taken light. As the ads say, “it is probably nothing”, but better to be certain. Bitter experience and all that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RichS; 27th April 2021 at 08:06.

I am just going to keep an eye on my weight as I feel fine and no loss of appetite or anything.

I don't really want to waste anyone's time.

I’d be tempted to book an appointment through Livi. £29 for a video consultation.

https://www.livi.co.uk/

I would suggest that you submit an e-consult. Go to the surgery website, list your symptoms in full, express your worry, explain that you don't think 7th May is soon enough. Don't mention the statin as it's irrelevant to this. E-consults are read by clinicians, so you will have bypassed the receptionist/call handler (who has little/no medical training). They should call you back or contact you within 24 hours.
    Alternatively call 111 (101 is the police) as they have slots with the GP they can book you straight in to.

Good luck!

So just an update to this.

I have since had a blood test that shows my vitamin D levels are low but not seriously low. The average is around a score of 100 to 175 and mine is 38.9 or at least that's what I was told.

I was told to take vitamin D tablets (which I have since bought) and I was sent for a chest xray last Friday and I should have the result from tomorrow.

I have just stood on the scales again and lost another 5lbs and another belt size.

Whatever the xray result is I think I'll probably ask for possibly more tests because I'm now under 15 stone and I haven't been this weight since my thirties and that's 20 year's or more.

I still feel OK but it's not right I guess.

Master
    I hope it’s something or nothing and you are diagnosed with something relatively easy to fix.

So just an update to this.

I have since had a blood test that shows my vitamin D levels are low but not seriously low. The average is around a score of 100 to 175 and mine is 38.9 or at least that's what I was told.

I was told to take vitamin D tablets (which I have since bought) and I was sent for a chest xray last Friday and I should have the result from tomorrow.

I have just stood on the scales again and lost another 5lbs and another belt size.

Whatever the xray result is I think I'll probably ask for possibly more tests because I'm now under 15 stone and I haven't been this weight since my thirties and that's 20 year's or more.

I still feel OK but it's not right I guess.

Out of interest, did they check your blood sugar (glucose) levels?

Anyone on statins - have a research into Niacin. It could potentially offer the same benefits (and more) without the side effects. Of course discuss it with your consultant, however, big pharma cannot patent it as it's a vitamin, so their view may be limited.

Vit D is basically a hormone.

I take it as IIRC low levels are a factor in serious Covid cases.

I'm not an expert so do double check before taking anything.

I believe you need to take Vit D with K2 for them to be effective, - no better way to get Vit D then from the sun imho, - 20 mins a day with as much skin exposed as possible

Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post
    Anyone on statins - have a research into Niacin. It could potentially offer the same benefits (and more) without the side effects. Of course discuss it with your consultant, however, big pharma cannot patent it as it's a vitamin, so their view may be limited.
    What side effects are commonly experienced with statins?

Very high doses of niacin (up to several grams) are required to usefully effect cholesterol and side effects are just as likely.

I believe you need to take Vit D with K2 for them to be effective, - no better way to get Vit D then from the sun imho, - 20 mins a day with as much skin exposed as possible
    Yep, sun first.

If not available, tablet form.

Didn't know about K2. Googled it and seems there are side effects but I suppose there are with everything if you take too much.

- 20 mins a day with as much skin exposed as possible
    Just look out for the BCCs/melanoma.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What side effects are commonly experienced with statins?
    Liver issues usually, I think.

My mother had near liver failure some years ago due to statins and Liver Function Tests (LFTs) are (or should be!) regular for Statin users.

I do wonder if the more recent statins are safer in this respect - The comment about Grapefruit (for example) doesn't seem to apply to the latest ones (Atorvastatin) - Actually I just looked it up, the latest recommendations are that "You should avoid large quantities of grapefruit or grapefruit juice" - I don't drink LARGE quantities of anything (maybe tea?) as rule.

Commonly reported side effects of atorvastatin include: hemorrhagic stroke, arthralgia, diarrhea, and nasopharyngitis. Other side effects include: urinary tract infection, insomnia, limb pain, muscle spasm, musculoskeletal pain, myalgia, and nausea.

I don't think most of these are 'commonly reported' at all (Is there a definition of 'commonly reported'), but are reported side effects.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th May 2021 at 15:48.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I take statins and notice zero weight loss effect.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Liver issues usually, I think.

My mother had near liver failure some years ago due to statins and Liver Function Tests (LFTs) are (or should be!) regular for Statin users.

I do wonder if the more recent statins are safer in this respect - The comment about Grapefruit (for example) doesn't seem to apply to the latest ones (Atorvastatin) - Actually I just looked it up, the latest recommendations are that "You should avoid large quantities of grapefruit or grapefruit juice" - I don't drink LARGE quantities of anything (maybe tea?) as rule.

Commonly reported side effects of atorvastatin include: hemorrhagic stroke, arthralgia, diarrhea, and nasopharyngitis. Other side effects include: urinary tract infection, insomnia, limb pain, muscle spasm, musculoskeletal pain, myalgia, and nausea.

I don't think most of these are 'commonly reported' at all (Is there a definition of 'commonly reported'), but are reported side effects.

M
    I was Atorvastatin for over 8 years, experienced muscle cramps, pains in my arms and groin. Repeated thrush. My Liver Function Tests were erratic. I never noticed weight loss. But I stopped taking statins in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My cholesterol went down from 7.9 to 4.9 in 4 months with Atorvastatin, no side effects for the moment. All the other markers are good, too.

However I noticed no weight loss associated with the statin; whatever loss happened, happened through hard work(out) and controlled food intake hard work in
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I’ve been on a statin for years - never noticed any effect on weight : or any other side effects.