closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Portable ECG monitor

Master

Portable ECG monitor

It has been recommended I get a portable ECG monitor, i have spoken to a cardiologist and its probably nothing, but to diagnose it they need a ecg when the the issue happens.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of which make to buy.

Cheers

Craftsman
    Won’t the NHS loan you one? Surely this must happen all the time - they need a patient to take their readings whilst off site. I assume the NHS would loan out equipment in that situation.

I have an Apple watch that does ECG's and punts the results off to my phone. Whether it's accurate I have absolutely no idea.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Won’t the NHS loan you one? Surely this must happen all the time - they need a patient to take their readings whilst off site. I assume the NHS would loan out equipment in that situation.
    The NHS have a 24 hour or 7 day wearable monitor but i have had the 24 one on before but my issue could happen once every 2 -3 months or once a week, i never know

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    I have an Apple watch that does ECG's and punts the results off to my phone. Whether it's accurate I have absolutely no idea.
    They are supposed to be very good, but i am all android

Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    It has been recommended I get a portable ECG monitor, i have spoken to a cardiologist and its probably nothing, but to diagnose it they need a ecg when the the issue happens.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of which make to buy.

Cheers

In Leeds ECG monitors are loaned to patients that they wear for a period of time for just this type of situation.

Has he specified what type of ECG is suitable 3 lead vs 12? One will give you basic info in rate and rhythm the other much more detail on electrical conductivity.

I'd be dubious any mass market model would have the required level of accuracy needed as millimetres make a difference when it comes to reading ECGs.

I would 110% be getting back in touch with the department that's requested the ECG for clarity and advice.

An educated guess you'd be looking multiple 1000s for a reliable machine depending on what you need it to do.

Portable ECG monitor

Depends on what they are looking for but if it is for Atrial Fibrillation then the series 6 Apple Watch cans run an ECG recording and flag up possible AF. It can check your O2 saturation as well as your pulse rate. It is very good.

There are other devices such as Kardia but they are not wearables.

On both they will record the trace and allow you to email it directly to your Cardiologist for review.

Chabsy, if you don't mind me asking what is the issue you are trying to get a recording of or what is it your cardiologist is trying to look for?

AF is just one type of arrhythmia there are many others and I've not seen a 'wearable' that detects them all.

SydR

Portable ECG monitor

Surprised that the NHS are not supplying this for you.

One that is currently being looked into in the NHS board I work for is this:-

https://store.alivecor.co.uk/products/kardiamobile

Personally I have not had hands on one yet but reports I have had on it are positive.
    Last edited by SydR; 24th April 2021 at 18:53.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Surprised that the NHS are not supplying this for you.

One that is currently being looked into in the NHS board I work for is this:-

https://store.alivecor.co.uk/products/kardiamobile

Personally I have not had hands on one yet but reports I have had on it are positive.
    I have had hands on use of these through work and they are very good but unless you get symptoms then I question their viability for diagnosis unless you are scheduling regular readings.

They also work by ultrasound so you do need a relatively quiet space to run the reading. Personally I have found the Apple Watch to be better and move convenient even if the Kardia software record keep is much more comprehensive.

If it’s atrial fibrillation. The Apple Watch 6 is excellent. It picked up 2 episodes of Af on me recently really quickly.

Master
    This is the brand of BP monitors a lot of GPs use. Reliable and trustworthy. This model detects AF too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z9LRZPN

Master

Portable ECG monitor

I use an iwatch 5 and have used the ECG function. They are not certified for medical use but during last company medical the medical assistant agreed to me using my watch at same time as their trace machine and they correlated exactly.

The app also produces a trace that includes the trace model version and results. Happy to share one of mine you want an example.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 24th April 2021 at 21:08.

Master
    Its not af they are looking for.

The NHS have a 24 hour or 7 day wearable monitor but i have had the 24 one on before but my issue could happen once every 2 -3 months or once a week, i never know

They are supposed to be very good, but i am all android
    If you want Android and a watch monitor is good enough then take a look at Samsung's Galaxy Watch 3 and Active Watch 2.

More about the KardiaMobile device...see link.

Its not af they are looking for.

Do you feel comfortable elaborating what it is they are potentially looking for? It could help with advice.

Master
    Apple Watch 6 is my recommendation as others have said. They are supposed to be very accurate.

The Docobo kit is very good, and class two diagnostic approved, it is expensive.

I do have to declare a vested interest.