closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on how easy this would be to repair - potential purchase.

Thoughts on how easy this would be to repair - potential purchase.

Thanks to a PSA in SC I last night bought an ex display Bremont S301, was told the watch was in good condition and would have the full 3 years makers warranty.

They contacted me today saying after checking the watch has a scratch on one lug so have put it on hold and asked me what I want to do, Im guessing there is probably
    a discount to be had but it looks a pretty chunky ding in an awkwrad place plus there also seems to be a mark on the outside of the bezel.

I actually bought this to be a watch I wouldnt mind wearing in most situations apart from spannering or serious gardening but not sure I want it like this, any thoughts
    on whether this could be refinished/polished without ending up with one lug that looks out of kilter with the others.

Ive only had watches lightly polished before so any guide on cost if people think it would be possible would also be appreciated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks to be quite a ding more than a scratch,not sure about polishing it out.

Is this a candidate for laser welding?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Looks to be quite a ding more than a scratch,not sure about polishing it out.
    Agree, scratch was their word I would call it a ding and is where the polished part of the lug meets the brushed part.

Ive been looking for a slightly retro diver about 40mm for a couple of weeks and had sort of narrowed to a used Oris original
    65 or Rado capt Cook although wasn’t 100% sure but then this came up and although over budget bought it. Problem is have gone back and looked at the Oris and Rado again and the Bremont suits way better for what I want/like but wouldn’t pay
    close to RRP.

Personally if it was me, I'd forget about fixing the lug.

Either get it to a price you're comfortable with and just enjoy it as is, or if you can't reach that point then I'd suggest you pass on it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s one serious gouge.

Personally. I would not be going anywhere near that watch, that amount of damage was caused by one hell of drop or bang against something, who knows what’s going on inside, movement wise.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    If you could get an extra, hefty reduction, it would be worth a punt. It might not look so bad in the flesh. If it does, maybe Rocco at Watchworks could work his magic.

I thought Bremont hardened their cases? If so this will make sorting this very difficult. You can polish it out and laser welding will be visible I would have thought.
    I would leave it unless it’s cheap enough to send back to Bremont for a new case.

that isnt a scratch , i assume you got a huge discount - otherwise run like hell !

Get a huge discount and live with it, it’s not like it’s a watch that’s going to appreciate. You could pay full price for a perfect one and do that kind of damage before you get it home.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    that isnt a scratch , i assume you got a huge discount - otherwise run like hell !
    Paid £1,799 plus free watch winder thrown in but that was basis it being in good condition not sure how much
    more I could now get off it. If there are any issues with the movement think could claim back from them or under
    warranty, it will have the full 3 years.

The upper part of the case is hardened so maybe only option would be a replacement of this part but not sure how
    quickly could find out how much that would cost (wouldn’t be cheap) so guess as someone suggested should decide
    if there is a price at which I would be happy to take it as is and if they say no to this then leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Get a huge discount and live with it, it’s not like it’s a watch that’s going to appreciate. You could pay full price for a perfect one and do that kind of damage before you get it home.
    Very true and did buy it on the basis that it wouldnt be babied, once bought a supposedly super tough Victorinox Inox and within a week had a ding on the bezel and had no idea how I did it.

It's an attractive watch and that scar would ruin it for me. I don't mind some hairlines and signs of desk diving but not what is shown here.

Surely you can find something better, discount isn't everything.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Very true and did buy it on the basis that it wouldnt be babied, once bought a supposedly super tough Victorinox Inox and within a week had a ding on the bezel and had no idea how I did it.
    Supposedly? Steel is steel, if you knock it then it'll ding. That doesn't take away from the Inox, that things a beast!

Depends how much you can get off it, remember the case design means the lugs can be replaced at service time, which I think will be much cheaper than trying to repair it

I'm pretty sure if you send it to bremont they would replace it from mucho cheapness, not a great ad for the hardened cases

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

You could get a new Damasko for that kind of money, with a proper hardened case.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Supposedly? Steel is steel, if you knock it then it'll ding. That doesn't take away from the Inox, that things a beast!
    Certain steels are harder than others, this is meant to be 7 times harder than 316l but probably means
    more resistant to hairlines but maybe not a good ding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Depends how much you can get off it, remember the case design means the lugs can be replaced at service time, which I think will be much cheaper than trying to repair it

I'm pretty sure if you send it to bremont they would replace it from mucho cheapness, not a great ad for the hardened cases

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Looks like would need a new upper case I have asked them what the cost would be but think will be a few days
    before I get a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You could get a new Damasko for that kind of money, with a proper hardened case.
    If they did I a retro style diver I’d have considered Damasko.

If they did I a retro style diver I’d have considered Damasko.
    If you buy one now and keep it for 50 years it'll be retro style and still look like new. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    >not sure how much more I could now get off it<

I'd say you want £500 knocked off and be prepared to walk away. It looks bad as the metal is pushed up, some careful work to file down will make the mark negligible
    Last edited by J J Carter; 23rd April 2021 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    If you buy one now and keep it for 50 years it'll be retro style and still look like new. ;-)
    I doubt I have that long left

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    >not sure how much more I could now get off it<

I'd say you want £500 knocked off and be prepared to walk away. It looks bad as the metal is pushed up, some careful work to file down will make the mark negligible
    If it was a ‘used’ watch would probably look at it more pragmatically, at £500 off I’d definitely take it but think they might be better getting Bremont to replace the upper case.

The other issue is that I now think the other options I was looking at will end up being a disappointment because had
    decided this what what I wanted.......

Thing is. It IS a used watch. They’re just selling it as if it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Thing is. It IS a used watch. They’re just selling it as if it was new.
    On that basis 50% of new watches sold are used, it hasn’t previously been sold or registered for the warranty,
    probably been tried on a few times and by the look of it shut in a drawer or something.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thinking about this,I would try for a big reduction and see what reaction you get.Bet there won’t be a queue for that piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Thinking about this,I would try for a big reduction and see what reaction you get.Bet there won’t be a queue for that piece.
    looks like dead in the water as they won’t budge at all.

If they won’t budge after they have only just disclosed the damage, money back. Chisholm have some watches as do other jewellers!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks to a PSA in SC I last night bought an ex display Bremont S301, was told the watch was in good condition and would have the full 3 years makers warranty.
    This is the bit I'd be worried about...what is to say you get a movement issue at some point within the warranty period, related or not, Bremont take one look at the case and say that the watch has obviously had a hard blow, therefore they wont honour any warranty work caused by accidental damage. I wouldn't have thought they would have to cover damage caused by the AD prior to sale.

I'd probably look to get yourself something in writing if you want the warranty. I can see Bremont not wanting to cover damage caused by third party and I can see the AD subsequently saying "well we gave you money off and you accepted the watch with damage".
    Last edited by Christian; 24th April 2021 at 16:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    This is the bit I'd be worried about...what is to say you get a movement issue at some point within the warranty period, related or not, Bremont take one look at the case and say that the watch has obviously had a hard blow, therefore they wont honour any warranty work caused by accidental damage. I wouldn't have thought they would have to cover damage caused by the AD prior to sale.

I'd probably look to get yourself something in writing if you want the warranty. I can see Bremont not wanting to cover damage caused by third party and I can see the AD subsequently saying "well we gave you money off and you accepted the watch with damage".
    Watch would come with the warranty card stamped and dated by the dealer and then I would register it on the Bremont website so not worried about the warranty being valid and even if it’s sold as ex display they are obliged to sell
    something that works and have 14 days to return.

From what I’ve read Bremont are normally very good, I found a thread on here where some one dropped their less than
    month old Solo and Bremont serviced the movement and replaced the upper case free under warranty.

Ive shot an email to Bremont explaining the situation and asking if there is anything they can do to help and will probably
    call them Monday, the dealer will hold the watch for a week while I wait for a response from Bremont.

Only ever owned one Bremont (ALT1-C) and contacted Bremont regarding the warranty as it was 6 month's old. They couldn't of been more helpful. I was very impressed with there helpfulness and have heard nothing but positive thing's regarding there service.

I would like to think that as the watch is being sold as new with full warranty and has been damaged at the dealer's they would replace the case and possibly service it because of what damage might of occurred when it was damaged.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Watch would come with the warranty card stamped and dated by the dealer and then I would register it on the Bremont website so not worried about the warranty being valid and even if it’s sold as ex display they are obliged to sell

From what I’ve read Bremont are normally very good, I found a thread on here where some one dropped their less than
    month old Solo and Bremont serviced the movement and replaced the upper case free under warranty.

Ive shot an email to Bremont explaining the situation and asking if there is anything they can do to help and will probably
    call them Monday, the dealer will hold the watch for a week while I wait for a response from Bremont.
    Sounds like a sensible approach. If you do go for it at-least the damage has been noted pre-purchase and you can confirm that Bremont will honour the warranty with the damage in place.

In saying that, if it was me, out of principle I probably would pass. The dealer should be throwing an extra bit of discount for what clearly isn’t a scratch.

Master

My initial thoughts, no?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Sounds like a sensible approach. If you do go for it at-least the damage has been noted pre-purchase and you can confirm that Bremont will honour the warranty with the damage in place.

In saying that, if it was me, out of principle I probably would pass. The dealer should be throwing an extra bit of discount for what clearly isn’t a scratch.
    Must admit was surprised they weren’t willing to budge at all, don’t know what they will do with it.
    None of the listed ex display watches have actual pictures just stock ones and no mention that
    they may not be in good condition.
    Problem is I’m now kind of hooked on this watch and anything I get instead isn’t going to come up to scratch (no pun intended), they have an S300 on a bracelet at a very good price but I much prefer the dial and bezel on the
    S301 so would be same situation if I switched to that.

Master
    Must admit was surprised they weren’t willing to budge at all, don’t know what they will do with it.
    None of the listed ex display watches have actual pictures just stock ones and no mention that
    they may not be in good condition.
    Problem is I’m now kind of hooked on this watch and anything I get instead isn’t going to come up to scratch (no pun intended), they have an S300 on a bracelet at a very good price but I much prefer the dial and bezel on the
    S301 so would be same situation if I switched to that.
    Once you get the one you want in your head, nothing else will scratch that itch. Hope you get positive news from Bremont, the S301 looks a cracking watch.

Master
    if thwy arent budging, id walk away

Bremont don't refinish their cases due to the case hardening process to the case surface. They just replace the mid case. It may be worth getting a quote via Bremont for a new mid case. They will probably push for a full service but brush that off as they will do a case change on its own on request. This includes new gaskets and a pressure test within the quoted price for the job.

The other alternative is to return it. As mentioned, that is not a scratch. It's a ding on the edge of both lug surfaces. Refinishing it is pointless.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bremont service will sort it, they will replace the top part of the case

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I’m sure they will but if I have to pay £200-300 for that then think I will have to decline the watch, already
    gone over budget at the original price and this would just push it too far.

I had the exact same thing on my Speedmaster Mk2 that I purchased recently. Ordered it and managed to get the last one Ernest Jones had in stock. The AD it was coming from called me up to say it had a scratch on the case and sent me photos. It has a ding on the side of the case, but the £1350 reduction from RRP was enough to make me happy with living with it. Had it been less discount, I may have sent it back. I guess it comes down to how much you want the watch and what discount you are getting.

Strangely, I usually hate marks to watches...all mine generally remain in mint condition. The ding to the Speedy doesnt bother me in the slightest because I didn't put it there and I know how lucky I was to get hold of the model.

Master
    It never ceases to amaze me just how much damage an AD can inflict on a new watch in a shop setting. In regular, normal use I have never damaged any watch to that extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Yep,
    Mid case replacement is included in the price, or at least is was when I had my MB2 serviced
    No additonal extra costs, just the £280-300 to service

Replaced, mid case, along with the dinged oranged barrel as well as the crystal which had marked AR, all FOC. (And returned with a bag of all the original parts)

So, £2995 RRP. What was the best discount you could find on these elsewhere?

If you paid £1799, then adding worst case price for Bremont supplying a new case that gives an overall £2099 for the new, undamaged watch. Easy decision, if you can find it lower then pass...if not, buy!

What was the decision in the end?

So, £2995 RRP. What was the best discount you could find on these elsewhere?

If you paid £1799, then adding worst case price for Bremont supplying a new case that gives an overall £2099 for the new, undamaged watch. Easy decision, if you can find it lower then pass...if not, buy!

What was the decision in the end?
    I agree except if you read my 2nd post on this thread, I wasn’t looking to spend even £1,799 originally or looking at Bremonts
    because of the price, at this price was willing to stretch the budget although means will need to sell something else, at excess
    2k might need to sell 2 others which I don’t want to do.

Without really trying looks like could probably get one elsewhere at around £2,400.

Im still waiting for Bremont to reply and will make a decision when have that, want to make sure there wouldn’t be any
    issues with the 3 year warranty as well.

Personally, even taking the savings out of it, I prefer the Oris, but all of this comes down to personal preferrence. Let us know what Bremont says!

Personally, even taking the savings out of it, I prefer the Oris, but all of this comes down to personal preferrence. Let us know what Bremont says!
    The Oris is more similar to a couple of others I have, although they are of higher value.

Anyway Bremont say they would replace the upper case for £225 but have gone back just to get
    confirmation that there wouldn’t be any issue with the 3 year warranty in view of this.

Then have to make a decision.

Just an update if anyone’s interested, Bremont confirmed this wouldn’t affect the 3 year warranty
    and if I send it to have the case changed they will double check the movement.
    As the amount was a bit less than I expected for the case change plus would get confirmation that
    whatever caused the damage hasn’t affected the movement, or if it has would be covered by warranty,
    have gone back to Chisholm Hunter explained the cost and asked if they can reduce by £100 havent
    kicked it straight into touch this time but been told the manager will advise if they can agree tomorrow.

Just an update if anyone’s interested, Bremont confirmed this wouldn’t affect the 3 year warranty
    and if I send it to have the case changed they will double check the movement.
    As the amount was a bit less than I expected for the case change plus would get confirmation that
    whatever caused the damage hasn’t affected the movement, or if it has would be covered by warranty,
    have gone back to Chisholm Hunter explained the cost and asked if they can reduce by £100 havent
    kicked it straight into touch this time but been told the manager will advise if they can agree tomorrow.
    I'm surprised at how reasonable the Bremont case is.

Sounds like you will end up with a bargain...it might not be the original price you were expecting, but you'll have the added bonus the watch is factory fresh and checked over by Bremont. Result!

I'm surprised at how reasonable the Bremont case is.

Sounds like you will end up with a bargain...it might not be the original price you were expecting, but you'll have the added bonus the watch is factory fresh and checked over by Bremont. Result!
    Agreed,

I think Bremont have been more than reasonable in this and have gone the extra mile. Not so sure about CH though, I was looking at a few of their discounted Bremont watches but selling one with such damage and taking such an attitude about it I am not so sure I would buy from them. End of the day they have a damaged watch that if the OP doesnt buy I cant see Joe Public doing so.

Apparently that’s the standard price for replacing the upper case, full service including replacing that part of
    the case if required is £375.
    They could have said if they find any issues with the movement it wouldn’t be covered by warranty so think
    they being more than reasonable but everything I’ve read about their service has been very positive.