closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homage - How far is too far?

Homage - How far is too far?

This has been mentioned before but in the last 12 months homage based watches have really taken off.

For me, most of the recent homage based watches are too far or should I say too close to the original, if you wore a fake rightly so you should be vilified for it, but bar a few small lines of text most of these modern homage’s are exact copies of the original so not far off a fake, is that too harsh?

Are they designed this way to give the buyer a feeling for what the real thing is like, or to fool others from 5 yards the owner is wearing a high end expensive watch?

Just to say I once had a Kemmner pre crown guard Sub-a-like, it was a great watch as it had similarities to the early Submariners but was far enough off the original to make it stand on its own, to me that’s an homage..

I don't agree with most of these homages (e.g. Steinhart or other Rolex homages) - it smacks of laziness to me, profiteering off the work of others. Come up with your own designs FFS.

Good question, I expect responses will be quite split (or I might find I stand alone, which I'm fine with).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    This has been mentioned before but in the last 12 months homage based watches have really taken off.

For me, most of the recent homage based watches are too far or should I say too close to the original, if you wore a fake rightly so you should be vilified for it, but bar a few small lines of text most of these modern homage’s are exact copies of the original so not far off a fake, is that too harsh?

Are they designed this way to give the buyer a feeling for what the real thing is like, or to fool others from 5 yards the owner is wearing a high end expensive watch?

Just to say I once had a Kemmner pre crown guard Sub-a-like, it was a great watch as it had similarities to the early Submariners but was far enough off the original to make it stand on its own, to me that’s an homage..
    A lot of people can't or can't justify spending the overblown prices of "name" watches, but still like the look of them. As long as it isn't a fake I'm fine with them and can't see why anyone should worry about it. Most people wouldn't bother to look at someone else's watch and if they did they would probably have thought your kemmner was a rolex.

I think homage watches are becoming more accepted these days because of the inflated prices of the watches they’re based on. For instance, the prices of new, used and rare Submariners has allowed companies like Steinhart to become more popular.

Suppose one were to buy a genuine Milsub, it most likely wouldn’t be worn on a daily basis so there’s a market out there for a usable watch that has the look that people generally like. If the wearer is happy with a Steinhart Ocean 1 or WMT Milsub, then why would anyone else care?

If it’s a watch that is no longer made and it’s clear it’s not the real thing then I don’t have much of an issue with it, our host does similar with his watches of which I own 3, I also have a very good homage to a 3646, a Helson Sharkmaster 600 and a WMT milsub hybrid

The current crop of Rolex / Seiko homages are a bit to close for comfort. I tried a Ocean X and it was sold on almost at once, this was one of the main reasons for me moving it on. It was the same for the OVM I bought (sold the same day it arrived) I also had a sharky tuna that I bought as a cheap try for size, the real thing was bought soon after and the sharky was thrown in a drawer before being offered for the fundraiser.
    I do get the feeling that the San Martin (insert other names if you want) Submariner homages are made in the same factory as the fakes you see in shop windows in Turkish resorts. (Guinalt anyone?)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Homage = fine
    Fake = bad

That’s the bottom line isn’t it?

Banned
    This is not an interesting question anymore.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    it’s clear it’s not the real thing then I don’t have much of an issue with it, our host does similar with his watches
    Sums it up for me.

Blog Entries

Or to fool others the owner is wearing a mid to low end inexpensive watch . Seiko homages are rife at the minute. So I don't think it's about the foolery or trickery maybe more about the vibe or riffing of something that's rare or in Seikos case - poor at execution of the basics - alignment etc .

It's the same old argument this and not really a new thing just San Martin and the like are segmenting themselves in that market (and others) and saturating it with homages . Obviously the demand is there or there would be no market for it

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I've stated my view many times, if it is a homage to a classic model decades out of production and originals well beyond the means of most people then I haven't got a problem.

I do personally draw the line at homages to existing models and would not wear one of those.

Most watches take their inspiration from something else, there are very few 'true originals'. Nearly every diver made these days looks like a Submariner or a Sea Dweller, but again a double Red homage is fine, but those Sharks things that look like a Cameron I am less keen on.

Live and let live, as long as it has the brand name clearly displayed and isn't a fake then let the buyer decide.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 23rd April 2021 at 17:39.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I've stated my view many times, if it is a homage to a classic model decades out of production and originals well beyond the means of most people then I haven't got a problem.e.
    That's my feeling. Not only are the original unaffordable for most, they also aren't always wearable, especially as an every day. That said I prefer watches that are inspired by rather than direct homages. I know this isn't a quiet the same but I like that my Omega Dynamic shares a lot of similarities with the Omega 1953 thin arrow, but isn't a like for like copy. Personally I won't be buying exact homages anymore.

Why would anyone worry if someone is wearing an expensive watch or not?

Is it only owners of such watches who care? Did they feel affronted that someone who couldn't afford the real thing might be perceived as as special as them because they have a similar looking watch?

Fakes are wrong, they're intended to mislead or defraud, but something with 'the look' of another watch isn't a big problem for me.

Few people who can afford a Rolex Sub will buy a Steinhart (say) instead, so Rolex aren't losing out.

I don't understand the concern about homages, really, although I'm all for original or revived styling.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

My view, for what it is worth, is that a "homage" is only legitimately a homage if it is inspired by a model which is no longer in production. IMO it should also improve on the original model it was inspired by (Eddie's offerings fall into this category). Otherwise, it is a "copy", and if it is intended to deceive by stealing and displaying the original brand name, it is then a straight forward fake. Within this definition I'm very happy with the concept of a "homage", but not copies, and, obviously not fakes.

A

Craftsman
    To each their own...

Amongst others, I have had “homage” watches (Smiths Everest, MKII Nassau etc) but there are signature features (Mercedes hand) that cause non-WIS people to mis-identify them.

Only took me a couple of “no, it’s not a Rolex” to wean me off them.

Super quality both, but I usually lean towards distinct non-homage designs now.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

The reality is that whilst some historical homages are sort of ok, modern others are made in exactly the same Chinese factories as the fakes.

The fawning over steeldive especially gets my goat 'better than the original', no it's not.....

Replica, sterile dial and homage are just acceptable terminology for fakes

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chewitt13; 23rd April 2021 at 22:48.

Whatever takes ones fancy.
    The only point is that distinction between ‘models no longer currently in production’ and current models is artificial and arbitrary. If they are fakes/copies/replicas, they are all such. If not none of them are. All inspired by/copied from other designs. Personally, I don’t mind them.
    To me it becomes a fake only when it says something on the dial that it is not.

I am ok with homages, whether in production or not. But it is somewhat lazy copying the designs of others. Or it is simply the case there is no originality left. Every design has already been done, so why waste time and resources when you can copy a successful design.

I think the reissue vs homage debate is an interesting consideration.

Take aquastar / nevada Grenchen: if the owners had just made those chronos without buying the name it would be a homage. With a licence to use the name it’s a lauded resurrection and a welcome reissue, even though today’s companies bear little connection to the older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Whatever takes ones fancy.

To me it becomes a fake only when it says something on the dial that it is not.
    This is my stance, also.

I do own an OceanX Sharkmaster 1000 and yes, it is a copy of the JC DSSD. It doesn’t say Rolex on the dial and therefore it’s not a fake or replica and isn’t pretending to be a Rolex.

What it is, is a damn good watch for the money.

No, it’s not as good as a DSSD (I own one of those too), but the value-for-money proposition is deeply impressive.

Simon

There is a big difference between near identical homage made by a real business and fakes made by criminal gangs operating underground production ( no doubt slave labour or child labour in some cases )

You cant even compare those two worlds surely.

Blog Entries
    I quite like re-issues from the original manufacture. I have owned the Breitling 806 reissue which was designed and produced to be as close as possible to the original but only with a modern movement making it different from the original.

I might consider getting the Zenith 1957 (?) reissue.

Homage - not really for me. I did try a sharkmaster but even though the execution was excellent it did not fit in with my others. I have no issue with them.

Fakes - I would smash with a sledge hammer and return the pieces to the seller and inform the police. The only possible place for a fake I can think of, is if a scumbag robber reckons they are getting a real one.

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    There is a big difference between near identical homage made by a real business and fakes made by criminal gangs operating underground production ( no doubt slave labour or child labour in some cases )

You cant even compare those two worlds surely.
    Unfortunately the 2 areas blend in to one another in numerous well documented cases.

I’ve only properly owned two homages for any significant period before - Steinharts MilSub and Steve McQueen Rolex homages, both very nice watches. They’re homages to watches that’ve long been out of production and that tends to be where I draw the line with homages. Also had a San Martin 62MAS and a TimeFactors Everest, both good watches for the money.

But if a fella wants a homage to a modern watch that he likes but can’t afford or whatever then I don’t take issue it, to each his own, it’s not a fake or anything if it has the actual brand name on the dial and there’s infinitely more important things to worry about. I’ve seen (on the B&J FB group) some guys who have ridiculously strong opinions (and superiority complexes) about homage watches to the point of obsessive hatred and you just think ‘get a grip mate’.

Ginault. "Homages" originally developed as fake Submariners, those things are way past the line for me.

The various offerings which are little more than attempts at 1:1 copies of Seikos can GTF too: Heimdallr, Steeldive, San Martin. Some of their watches have somehow become forum favourites but I just can't see them in a positive light and suspect that like Ginault, they're just the "legitimate" face of the fake industry.

Craftsman
    As a student, I had two fake Rolexes, one rubbish, one indistinguishable. I enjoyed owning them. No one was ripped off. They were sold to me in distant climes as fakes. An amusement.

As an adult, I owned two 16710s and one 16610. I enjoyed owning them. Then, one day the marketing illusion passed when I realised that one day someone will shout 'the emperor's in the all together' on them. Mass produced watches, little different, in reality or practice, to any other quality mass produced watch brand.

I couldn't care less about the fake market if it brings fun/pleasure to people - it's only wrong where it's used to defraud buyers.

That is all.

:)

Here's an example as a case study.

A Rolex White Dial PamAm, which according to Worn and Wound 200 special White Dial Rolex GMTs were ordered by PanAm in the mid 1950s. Anyone know anyone who actually owns one, me neither.

I love this watch and Steinhart did a homage sold exclusively from a single German boutique with only 50 Pepsi and 50 Coke watches made. This watch has never been available from Steinhart direct. Luckily I have both.

Other companies such as Squale have done their own version of the legendary Rolex PanAm watch.

There are enough differences for me, for example Steinhart didn't attempt to put a faux Bakelite bezel insert in, using good old aluminium instead and they put crown guards on when the Rolex didn't have them and they omitted a chapter ring on the dial.

I did own a 1968 Rolex Pepsi GMT with the Mark 1 Long E dial, but I just didn't like it, much prefer a GMT with a white dial.

I'm sure there will be those who even think this type of homage is wrong, but I don't care
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 24th April 2021 at 20:47.

Master
    Being creative in a design is hard work, and risky. Simply copying already successful designs from other companies strikes me as second-rate . It suggests a company with no real pride, feeding off the hard-work of others.
    The market needs something new, not clones.
    And such companies never rise to the top.
    Last edited by paskinner; 24th April 2021 at 21:03.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Being creative in a design is hard work, and risky. Simply copying already successful designs from other companies strikes me as second-rate . It suggests a company with no real pride, feeding off the hard-work of others.
    The market needs something new, not clones.
    And such companies never rise to the top.
    How come when I go out every car looks the same regardless of the badge on the bonnet.

Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Ginault. "Homages" originally developed as fake Submariners, those things are way past the line for me.

The various offerings which are little more than attempts at 1:1 copies of Seikos can GTF too: Heimdallr, Steeldive, San Martin. Some of their watches have somehow become forum favourites but I just can't see them in a positive light and suspect that like Ginault, they're just the "legitimate" face of the fake industry.
    This^^^^^^^^

That said, stuff like TF and steinhart, who have original designs I have zero issue with

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chewitt13; 24th April 2021 at 22:21.

There is always a niggling thought in the back of my mind that Chinese homages to modern watches are coming off production lines producing fakes as well, but Seiko kind of set themselves up for the homage industry.

With declining QC going hand in hand with spiralling prices from Seiko, Steeldives, etc make a strong case for being a better VFM proposition than Seiko versions.

Just because a watch looks like another watch doesn't make it a fake.

You may not like homages, but they don't purport to be the same thing.

If I paint a painting in the style of a Picasso (I can't, of course), it's not a fake unless I pass it off as a Picasso.

When people post "homages are fakes", I'm afraid I see snobbery.

Finally, I think we live in a strange bubble.

We know a Steeldive is a replica of a Seiko, but most people won't be impressed by a Seiko let alone know what a Tuna or Monster is.

They just see a nice watch at a good price and nobody is pretending they are getting a Seiko.

M

Last edited by snowman; 25th April 2021 at 08:55.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    There is of course also the grey area where legislate watch makers grab designs from other makers . These can become very desirable in their own right . When makers outsourced case makers for instance i suppose they also had less control
    Zenith de Luca , poor mans heuers ,1960’s certina ds ( sm300 influence) . I’d take any of these cash allowing within my collection

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    There is of course also the grey area where legislate watch makers grab designs from other makers . These can become very desirable in their own right . When makers outsourced case makers for instance i suppose they also had less control
    Zenith de Luca , poor mans heuers ,1960’s certina ds ( sm300 influence) . I’d take any of these cash allowing within my collection
    I don’t think you could class these as a homage, they were never made as a homage. The industry used to buy in parts and then make a watch. (In house was not such a big thing back - Blancpain, Rolex etc. did it.)

Take the Monnin cased diver, there could possibly be 100s of variants of the same case being used in a watch. This is because it was the best available at the time. Not because everyone wanted to copy the Heuer (which was not the first watch to use the case) nor were they all a ‘poor mans’ Heuer they have only become known as such because the market recognises the Heuer brand more than others these days. Some brands marketed a Monnin cased diver at a far height price.

Van Buran and Jenny were the same.

If you make a intentionally make a watch to look like another watch it’s a homage, if you use someone else’s trademarks on that homage it is a fake.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 25th April 2021 at 09:30.

Here's an example as a case study.

A Rolex White Dial PamAm, which according to Worn and Wound 200 special White Dial Rolex GMTs were ordered by PanAm in the mid 1950s. Anyone know anyone who actually owns one, me neither.

I love this watch and Steinhart did a homage sold exclusively from a single German boutique with only 50 Pepsi and 50 Coke watches made. This watch has never been available from Steinhart direct. Luckily I have both.

Other companies such as Squale have done their own version of the legendary Rolex PanAm watch.

There are enough differences for me, for example Steinhart didn't attempt to put a faux Bakelite bezel insert in, using good old aluminium instead and they put crown guards on when the Rolex didn't have them and they omitted a chapter ring on the dial.

I did own a 1968 Rolex Pepsi GMT with the Mark 1 Long E dial, but I just didn't like it, much prefer a GMT with a white dial.

I'm sure there will be those who even think this type of homage is wrong, but I don't care
    Agree with this - I have a WMT and love it. It’s very clear where WMT watches get their inspirations from... but they focus solely on homages of unattainable vintage Rolexes and do a great job. It’s a proper ‘beater’ watch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    How come when I go out every car looks the same regardless of the badge on the bonnet.

Just saying...
    Fair point, partly because of strong safety regulations. But style still sells...I bought my latest Mazda (cx30) because I liked the looks. But the ‘homages’ try not to look distinctive. They want to look ‘the same’.
    And that’s what stops me buying.....original design matters. I think It’s part of the basic quality of the watch.
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th April 2021 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Fair point, partly because of strong safety regulations. But style still sells...I bought my latest Mazda (cx30) because I liked the looks. But the ‘homages’ try not to look distinctive. They want to look ‘the same’.
    Your CWC 83 RN diver is basically a later version of the Omega Seamaster 300m (165.024). Is it a copy or a homepage, definitely not because CWC were building watches to the MoD specification at the time just as Omega were.

In the crazy watch world of who came first and who copied who, your watch followed the Omega so some may claim it is a copy.

Master
    Well....I’ll forgive it, just this once.

Master
    Your CWC 83 RN diver is basically a later version of the Omega Seamaster 300m (165.024). Is it a copy or a homepage, definitely not because CWC were building watches to the MoD specification at the time just as Omega were.

In the crazy watch world of who came first and who copied who, your watch followed the Omega so some may claim it is a copy.
    I think your car example and the CWC example have something in common. The specification they have to adhere to. As you stated CWC and Omega had to adhere to the same MOD spec. Modern car design is heavily influenced by safety standards and aerodynamics specifications.

Pedant alert!
    The Defstan (defence standard) for divers watches was based on the SM300 as this was the best watch available at the time. Omega tweaked the design following consultation with the armed forces which resulted in the sword hands and big triangle at 12. But the Omega design came first.
    The changes in the SM were largely based on experience with the early SMs and Submariners - narrow hands and small plots or Mercedes hands and Rolex dial layout being sub optimal. (Hence the change of hands on the later Milsub)
    The CWC simply followed the existing defstan at the time.
    Is the CWC a homage to the SM300? No it simply followed the same specification.
    As a side note the 88 issued Precista followed the same defstan so looks very similar to the SM and CWC, the 89 Precista reverted back to the original SM style dial
    I realise this is likely to be of no interest to anyone but me.

Master
    It's what makes the forum worth browsing.

I think DEF-SAN 66-4 laid down the requirements not the looks

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    There is always a niggling thought in the back of my mind that Chinese homages to modern watches are coming off production lines producing fakes as well, but Seiko kind of set themselves up for the homage industry.

With declining QC going hand in hand with spiralling prices from Seiko, Steeldives, etc make a strong case for being a better VFM proposition than Seiko versions.

Just because a watch looks like another watch doesn't make it a fake.

You may not like homages, but they don't purport to be the same thing.

If I paint a painting in the style of a Picasso (I can't, of course), it's not a fake unless I pass it off as a Picasso.

When people post "homages are fakes", I'm afraid I see snobbery.

Finally, I think we live in a strange bubble.

We know a Steeldive is a replica of a Seiko, but most people won't be impressed by a Seiko let alone know what a Tuna or Monster is.

They just see a nice watch at a good price and nobody is pretending they are getting a Seiko.

M

Not only are Steeldive San Martin et al homages to Seiko watches and other brands like Panerai etc. They are using genuine Seiko movements too.
    I have a invicta submariner bi metal with black dial. I had at the same time a Rolex Submariner bi metal Blue dial. I sold the sub for £3600 which gave me a couple of £100 profit. Different story if I sold it now. Still got the invicta ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

For me a copy of an existing watch still in production but with another logo is (nearly) as bad as a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think DEF-SAN 66-4 laid down the requirements not the looks
    It did but look at the images within the document.

It did but look at the images within the document.
    At least we have moved the conversation away from the Rolex snobs

Just saying...
    For the same reason that most fish look like fish and most birds look like birds. Eventually most watches will look like Rolex. And I am not trying to be funny. It is a very good design. Dear Hans' designs were fundamentally organic. Nobody likes (read: I don't like) these post Hans blocky oysters. And as Rolex never looks back a whole industry has developed and is still developing further to feed on Rolex's past.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    A lot of people can't or can't justify spending the overblown prices of "name" watches, but still like the look of them. As long as it isn't a fake I'm fine with them and can't see why anyone should worry about it. Most people wouldn't bother to look at someone else's watch and if they did they would probably have thought your kemmner was a rolex.
    Problem is where do u draw the line between a homage fake or imitation?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Doesn’t the law draw the line for what’s a fake?

Homages are nothing new, they've been around since the early days of the watch industry.They are nothing like fakes.

There are plenty of homages of non Rolex vintage watches around now but no-one ever seems bothered by those, it's only when Rolex Homages are mentioned that it gets a minority of Rolex owners backs up.

Homages are a great way to pad out a collection and are often great quality for the price.

I like homages of vintage chronographs and have also owned some of the originals. Most people wouldn't have an issue with that so why should they have a problem with Rolex Homages?
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 28th April 2021 at 20:50.

The line between homage and fake is very clear and defined.
    Anything that carries the name of the original (or something deceptively close, like Aubemars Piquet) and is not manufactured by the original manufacture, or by someone that holds the rights to use that name, is a fake.
    Anything that may look similar but is sold under its own brand name is a homage.

Personally I think people can go ahead and produce what they like as homages, it is quite a good way of showing the OEMs that their prices might be a little mickey-taking.
    Yes, it is lazy design.
    And it doesn't mean I will buy it, but I have no problem with it.

But I have no time for fakes whatsoever. And to tolerate them is to kid yourself - faking is a criminal enterprise that sponsors all kinds of nefarious activity.

Tolerating fakes calls into question your entire moral compass.

I once met quite a "principalled" person who was annoyingly preachy about corporate responsibility, and who didn't get why I laughed out loud at the hypocrisy of his occasional cocaine habit. Fakes are the same as drugs, they fund criminals of the worst kind.

Reproducing a style isn't limited to watches, I'd imagine that the wardrobes of most of us will contain items that either copy or very closely match something designed by a brand.

I don't suppose much time is spent deciding to buy a jacket we like or sleep lost thinking about how closely it resembles a design by xxxx and rightly so.

I've no problem with homage watches at all, if somebody wants a navitimer style watch surely it's better they pop to argos and buy a rotary than the market and buy a fake?