closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rookie Landlord Question

Craftsman

Rookie Landlord Question

My wife & I own a flat which we rent out.

Our tenant phoned yesterday to tell us there was a small amount of water coming through the ceiling an a part of the ceiling is now damp. Ours is a ground floor flat with flats above. We don't use an agent currently as we are renting to our daughter and he boy friend.

We contacted the factor and they go in touch with the letting agent for the flat above, who instructed a plumber to investigate.

The plumber has reported back that they couldn't find any evidence of leaks from the pipework they could see - so not very thorough.

For the moment the water seems to have stopped coming through, though the ceiling still has a damp patch.

What is the consensus on how to proceed from here:

Let the factor deal with it?
    Insist the letting agent for the upstairs flat pays for any investigation, including if they need to go through our ceiling?
    or contact our Landlord insurer and let them deal with it?
    something else?

Not been through something like this with a flat before!

Thanks

Master
    What is immediately above the damp patch?. If it's a bathroom / toilet or kitchen, the problem could be related to a wide range of things. At one level it could be a supply pipe which the plumber appears dismissive of, equally could it have been someone upstairs doing something silly like spilling / overflowing water which would make it a "one off" event. Am presuming timber floors and would have expected there to be some evidence of cause if water had overflowed by way of damp floorboards as the water travelled downwards. If not a bathroom or kitchen, far more likely to relate to a pipe serving the central heating system, but could of course be a water supply run on the way to another room, the location of the boiler and water tank are a bit of a clue as for instance most central heating pipes will be around the perimeter, except for an element that runs from the boiler itself.

I'd be looking for more info and the immediate question is whether the damp that has appeared is anywhere near a light fitting as it then becomes a game changer as to urgency of approach. Personally I'd be sending a clear message back to the managing agent of the flat above that the damp has not appeared of it's own accord, there is a health and safety risk and pass the problem back to them to identify the cause. It should be investigated from above, the problem will come if you find it is a bathroom or kitchen that has a solid floor covering (ceramic tiles, laminate, etc) so they've just been lazy in thinking they'd have to rip it up to look under the floorboards and see what the source is IF it relates to a leak under the floorboards. If it's stopped that points to a spillage or what would be unusual which is a leak from a waste, so will re-appear as and when say the toilet is flushed again or sink used.

Pinpointing what is immediately above the leak will give you the best idea...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Personally I'd be sending a clear message back to the managing agent of the flat above that the damp has not appeared of it's own accord, there is a health and safety risk and pass the problem back to them to identify the cause.
    I think this would match my approach.

My 50p would be on a hidden leak that wasn't visible to the plumber, or the tenant had an overflowing sink/basin/bath which thankfully means it would be an isolated incident. Ultimately the responsibility will be with the leaseholder of the flat above to fix the source of the leak before you do any remedial work - which will hopefully just allowing the plasterwork to dryout and a coat of paint.

Craftsman
    Thanks for your reply

That is also our thoughts. We have contacted the factor to get the floor plan of the flat above as it may be different from ours.

I will send my daughters boyfriend back up to the upstairs flat again. There was no-one in when he tried last night.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weedram View Post
    Thanks for your reply

That is also our thoughts. We have contacted the factor to get the floor plan of the flat above as it may be different from ours.

I will send my daughters boyfriend back up to the upstairs flat again. There was no-one in when he tried last night.
    Who is "the factor"?

I'd keep everything in writing to the letting agent upstairs; I wouldn't bother sending the future SiL round as you will only get 3rd hand info and he may end up in some sort of conflict.

Photos of the damage and keep a record of the timings ...

As above you need to know the layout of the above .... finding leaks in flats I would expect to be a nightmare ...

Don't think you mentioned where the leak is?

Middle of a room. Near a wall?

DON