closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 1192

Thread: Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

  1. #151
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    31,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Like Vennells I'm an Anglican priest. It's not a particularly well-paid job and it comes with a lot of trust including handling uncounted cash. If I was so much as suspected of dipping in to the collection plate, fiddling my expenses or misappropriating fees the powers that be would, quite rightly, suspend me. Were it to be proved that I had stolen funds they, again rightly, would throw the book at me.

    But millionaire Vennells has faced no sanctions and even her "apology" was mealy-mouthed and, frankly, pretty shit: "I am truly sorry we were unable to find both a solution and a resolution outside of litigation and for the distress this caused."

    I feel the same way about her as honest, hardworking police officers must feel towards bent coppers.
    Matey empty your inbox...

    n2.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  2. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Matey empty your inbox...

    n2.
    DONE!

  3. #153
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    23,746
    And still it rumbles on, and still absolutely nobody has been held accountable for this disgrace:

    Post Office scandal: 'I lost absolutely everything' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66221054
    So clever my foot fell off.

  4. #154
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    18,472
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    And still it rumbles on, and still absolutely nobody has been held accountable for this disgrace:

    Post Office scandal: 'I lost absolutely everything' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66221054
    cf Post Office inquiry chair criticises Horizon compensation scheme:

    Schemes set up to compensate former Post Office operators wrongly accused of crimes are “a patchwork quilt” with “holes in it” that are likely to miss the deadline to pay up, the chair of the inquiry into the scandal has said.

    ...

    On Monday, the inquiry’s chair, Sir Wyn Williams, called for legislative change to resolve issues for the compensation schemes that were put in place to recompense those affected by the scandal.

    So far almost £100m has been paid out so far by the Post Office and the government but Williams said it was his “strongly held view” that administrators would be “unable to deliver compensation payments to all applicants” by the deadline of 7 August next year.

    He has sent a report setting out his recommendations to business minister Kevin Hollinrake in an attempt to ensure “full and fair” compensation is paid to those affected by the scandal...

  5. #155
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    15,075
    That was also briefly mentioned in the latest Radio 4 episode which features the full interview with the Post Office CEO.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0g0vxzl

    Slippery bugger - you can tell that he's trying to play the Hail fellow, well met card but doesn't actually concede anything of any significance - far from it.

  6. #156
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    5,953
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    DONE!
    If the Anglican Church had any shred of decency and moral compass they’d boot her out …

  7. #157
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    23,746
    Hooray for Marina Hyde. She’s really got her teeth into this.

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other
    So clever my foot fell off.

  8. #158
    Master Templogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    2,923
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Hooray for Marina Hyde. She’s really got her teeth into this.

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other
    She is certainly one of a very small band of brilliant reporters.

    Venal Venells should swing for this.

  9. #159
    Master IAmATeaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NW London
    Posts
    4,757

    Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

    Great article by Marina, now if only others would read it and take note.

    I really don’t understand why some of the cover uppers and guilty parties aren’t being pursued?

  10. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Great article by Marina, now if only others would read it and take note.

    I really don’t understand why some of the cover uppers and guilty parties aren’t being pursued?
    The establishment?

  11. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Great article by Marina, now if only others would read it and take note.

    I really don’t understand why some of the cover uppers and guilty parties aren’t being pursued?
    Because they are in the club

  12. #162
    Grand Master dkpw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That was also briefly mentioned in the latest Radio 4 episode which features the full interview with the Post Office CEO.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0g0vxzl

    Slippery bugger - you can tell that he's trying to play the Hail fellow, well met card but doesn't actually concede anything of any significance - far from it.
    The CEO was as oleaginous as a Turkish wrestler. Top smarm and you know he'll do sweet FA for a couple more years until he shuffles off to another extremely well paid executive position.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

  13. #163
    Master jools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Île de Merde
    Posts
    5,011
    Thoroughly recommend "The Great Post Office Scandal" by Nick Wallis. Covers all the protagonists and is surprisingly gripping.

  14. #164
    Master brigant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    1,577
    The latest, P.O. offering £600,000 to some postmasters who had conv8ctions overturned. The wheels of justice grind exceedingly slowly.

  15. #165
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    The latest, P.O. offering £600,000 to some postmasters who had conv8ctions overturned. The wheels of justice grind exceedingly slowly.
    Don’t they! Let’s hope they can hold on for better outcomes. Or move on. It’s still a scandal that no one from PO or Fujitsu is banged up. Awaiting the interminable inquiry I guess.

  16. #166
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,149


    Pleased the press aren’t letting it go.

  17. #167

    Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

    Episodes 13-16 recently released of the The Great Post Office Trial discussing the details of the public inquiry recently released on BBC Sounds.

    As per usual it beggars belief. Seems to indicate that the police are investigating for potential criminal prosecution. This time not the sub Postmasters

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0...n=share-mobile

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0...n=share-mobile

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0...n=share-mobile

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0...n=share-mobile
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 20th November 2023 at 21:40.

  18. #168
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    full and fair "whatever the cost". Does anyone believe this? i don't.
    How did this promise get on?

  19. #169
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,149
    ‘Grit your teeth, keep prosecuting’: lawyers behind Post Office scandal

    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1...9a97eff65936a0

    They’re making a drama. Maybe one day one of the bosses will face some music.

  20. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    ‘Grit your teeth, keep prosecuting’: lawyers behind Post Office scandal

    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1...9a97eff65936a0

    They’re making a drama. Maybe one day one of the bosses will face some music.
    It will be interesting to see if the TV thing goes for her of soft pedals

  21. #171
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UP North.
    Posts
    12,844
    When people holding high positions make if not already made acquaintance with people in possibly greater positions they tend to look after each other.

    Moreso if there is benefit to them somehow.

    And yet the average Man & Woman will have the full force of the law thrown at them for much less!.

    Nothing will happen that will affect Her greatly.........if at all.


  22. #172
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    When people holding high positions make if not already made acquaintance with people in possibly greater positions they tend to look after each other.

    Moreso if there is benefit to them somehow.

    And yet the average Man & Woman will have the full force of the law thrown at them for much less!.

    Nothing will happen that will affect Her greatly.........if at all.
    I can live in hope. Precedents don’t inspire me with confidence though. They all seemingly retire quietly into the background. Not sure how she reconciles her conscience if she’s truly religious as claimed. Her job was literally to ask the awkward question that no one wanted asking. Clearly she didn’t or she accepted glib answers. Either way she’s culpable.

  23. #173
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    18,472
    New Year's Day (Mo 01 Jan) 21h00 on ITV...Mr Bates vs The Post Office ...with 3 more episodes at the same time of the following days.

    According to this Guardian article it is followed by "the factual documentary, Mr Bates vs the Post Office: The Real Story, on 4 January on ITV1 and ITVX."
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th December 2023 at 00:43.

  24. #174
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    New Year's Day (Mo 01 Jan) 21h00 on ITV...Mr Bates vs The Post Office ...with 3 more episodes at the same time of the following days.

    According to this Guardian article it is followed by "the factual documentary, Mr Bates vs the Post Office: The Real Story, on 4 January on ITV1 and ITVX."
    Thanks for the heads up.

  25. #175
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    23,746
    So clever my foot fell off.

  26. #176
    Master Templogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    2,923
    Hallelujah! It's a step forward but I have no confidence in getting a decent result. I would like to see the senior managers held personally responsible, especially venal Venells. She should lose the CBE at the very least.

  27. #177
    That Guardian article is interesting, the police aren't exactly falling over themselves to investigate the executives, and if the do it will be a perjury case,

  28. #178
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    23,746
    A four part dramatisation:

    Post Office scandal TV drama 'like a dream' say victims https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67806869

    Why is this taking so long?
    So clever my foot fell off.

  29. #179
    Master Templogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    2,923
    Could it be because there is an election looming?

  30. #180
    Master KavKav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    7,084
    Blog Entries
    5
    What has this country come to? The damage to people’s lives caused by this **** Vennells is incalculable and this scrote government is just dragging it’s heels on the matter!

  31. #181
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,090
    Watching the dramatisation right now. Makes me so angry. Disgusting.

  32. #182
    Just watching the 1st part on catch up now, what a disgrace.
    Jesus, I can't believe I've never heard about this, those poor buggers...

  33. #183
    Master brigant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    1,577
    I thought this dramatisation would kick off a response, it gets worse. I recently discovered that someone in the P.O. security team raised this with P.O management with two options.
    1. Own upwhich would cause damage to P.O. brand and cost millions in compensation or
    2. Keep on prosecution postmasters and try to hide it.

    Guess which option the P.O went for?

    I am interested to see reaction in papers later this week as it hits the public what an appalling episode of corporate malfeasance this is.

    Criminal proceedings to follow, I hope.

  34. #184
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    I thought this dramatisation would kick off a response, it gets worse. I recently discovered that someone in the P.O. security team raised this with P.O management with two options.
    1. Own upwhich would cause damage to P.O. brand and cost millions in compensation or
    2. Keep on prosecution postmasters and try to hide it.

    Guess which option the P.O went for?

    I am interested to see reaction in papers later this week as it hits the public what an appalling episode of corporate malfeasance this is.

    Criminal proceedings to follow, I hope.
    Where is that information to be found? I’ve long been following the story and am disgusted at both the actions of those involved and the length of time things have taken. Isn’t it always thus when supposedly righting wrongs?!

  35. #185

    Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

    The Post Office investigates and prosecutes crime. Are these private prosecutions or does the PO have Police powers? Why wasn’t this handled by the Police and CPS, even at the behest of the defendants, to provide a degree of independence?

    Strikes me as an absolute abuse of power and lack of independence that must be stopped.

    Fujitsu recently had the Horizon contract extended for another two years and still gets new business from HMG.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 2nd January 2024 at 09:25.

  36. #186
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    18,472
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The Post Office investigates and prosecutes crime. Are these private prosecutions or does the PO have Police powers? Why wasn’t this handled by the Police and CPS, even at the behest of the defendants, to provide a degree of independence?

    Strikes me as an absolute abuse of power and lack of independence that must be stopped.

    Fujitsu recently had the Horizon contract extended for another two years and still gets new business from HMG.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good question. Wiki is your friend...Court Cases.

  37. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Good question. Wiki is your friend...Court Cases.
    Thanks, if I read correctly, a government owned public body bringing private prosecutions in England but public prosecutions in Scotland and NI.

    PO - falsely claimed victim, investigator and prosecutor. Justice of authoritarian states.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  38. #188
    Master brigant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    1,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Where is that information to be found? I’ve long been following the story and am disgusted at both the actions of those involved and the length of time things have taken. Isn’t it always thus when supposedly righting wrongs?!
    I think there was a program on tv just before Christmas. It came out of the current hearings. Perhaps the Radio 4 podcast.

  39. #189
    Master petethegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Perhaps the Radio 4 podcast.
    This one maybe? Began in May 2020 with latest episodes added November this last year.

  40. #190

  41. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Signed...

  42. #192
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    20,475
    Signed
    Best Regards - Peter

    I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

  43. #193
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    23,746
    And signed.
    So clever my foot fell off.

  44. #194
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    1,119
    Signed.

  45. #195
    Master davida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    1,206
    Signed and shared


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  46. #196
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    8,322
    She was an Anglican priest? Signed!

  47. #197
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UP North.
    Posts
    12,844
    Signed & shared.

    BUT I'd be very surprised if it will have the result all the people want it to have happen.

    I hope I'm very wrong.


  48. #198
    Master Templogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    2,923
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Signed & shared.

    BUT I'd be very surprised if it will have the result all the people want it to have happen.

    I hope I'm very wrong.
    Agreed, signed nonetheless.

  49. #199
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Italy/UK
    Posts
    509
    What a disgusting human being! Signed.

  50. #200
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    497
    Signed as well.

    Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information