closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Toyota Yaris GR

Toyota Yaris GR

I had a test drive in one of these today. Great fun, I think I enjoyed it even more than my old JCW. 261 bhp 4 wheel drive.
    Almost a 12 month wait though and £33500 for the circuit pack model.

Any one else tried one?

Craftsman
    No but I was tempted to get one when they were released. Now there's a wait list??

Last I heard they were talking about it being a short lived model. Looks fantastic fun.

Looks pretty good value compared to a new Goof R at around £50k speccíd up
    It's just a matter of time...

I saw one in Helmsley a couple of weeks ago.
    Brand new black one, looked very cool, but at that money I would be looking at a Type R.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Really??

If I could get it in 5 door, I'd already have bought it.

Pretty sure forum member Gavbaz has a track pack GR.

I've seen two now on the roads, they're mean looking pocket rockets alright!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    .... but at that money I would be looking at a Type R.
    A bona fide, homologated 4WD rally car vs a FWD hot hatch.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Any one else tried one?
    Skyman was boasting about getting one. But Iím not sure if heís around here anymore.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was besotted with it and ordered one blind before I got a test drive in December. Loved the looks and the engine, but honestly not much else and cancelled the order.

The feeling inside was very Toyota, it didnít feel special when sat in it, and as a new car there were lots of rattles.

Worse bits for me was the high seating position which anyone who has been in a mk1 Focus RS will understand what I mean, and the steering was meh.

Although the Yaris has a very special rally bred chassis and it will be mega against the stopwatch or off road, I donít have any gravel stages on the way to work and for sheer fun at legal speeds I loved the Fiesta ST a lot more.

As a daily driver for family duties etc Iíd rather a Golf GTI to both though...

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I was besotted with it and ordered one blind before I got a test drive in December. Loved the looks and the engine, but honestly not much else and cancelled the order.

The feeling inside was very Toyota, it didnít feel special when sat in it, and as a new car there were lots of rattles.

Worse bits for me was the high seating position which anyone who has been in a mk1 Focus RS will understand what I mean, and the steering was meh.

Although the Yaris has a very special rally bred chassis and it will be mega against the stopwatch or off road, I donít have any gravel stages on the way to work and for sheer fun at legal speeds I loved the Fiesta ST a lot more.

As a daily driver for family duties etc Iíd rather a Golf GTI to both though...
    Thanks. I agree about seating position but the seats were very comfortable and it didnít bother me that much. The car I went out in had no rattles at all in contrast to the Type R. I test drove 5 CTR and they all had dash rattles.

I have a test drive next Monday for a couple of hours and one of my friends has already driven and ordered one.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I saw one in Helmsley a couple of weeks ago.
    Brand new black one, looked very cool, but at that money I would be looking at a Type R.
    They are completely different cars, one is a front drive hot hatch while the other is a four wheel drive homologation special rally car, why compare them.

I have driven one it is a very fast and pointy car, it doesn't rattle the fillings out of your teeth but it isn't a soft road car, incredibly stable and predictable on the limit considering the powertrain and unique monocoque it is incredibly good value for money

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    They are completely different cars, one is a front drive hot hatch while the other is a four wheel drive homologation special rally car, why compare them.
    I wasn't comparing them at all. I said if I was spending £30 odd k I'd buy the Type R. I've no doubt the Toyota is a good car, my better half has a Yaris and it's excellent. My choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Really??

I've factory ordered one new to my spec and paid 25% less than that.

I've ordered a competition pack which should be delivered in December just before Christmas :-). I've not driven one yet (bad back at the moment), but I've had 3 Abarths so not very bothered by interior.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

I have driven one it is a very fast and pointy car, it doesn't rattle the fillings out of your teeth but it isn't a soft road car, incredibly stable and predictable on the limit considering the powertrain and unique monocoque it is incredibly good value for money
    A good summary. It made me realise my mistake in getting an auto JCW. The manual gearbox was good and it was so much more fun than the Mini. I can understand why it might not be a daily compared to the CTR but it did feel a better car and more exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    I've factory ordered one new to my spec and paid 25% less than that.
    Iím sure you got a good discount, as they are available.

My point being that if you spec up a car on the VW config, itís pretty easy to get well over 50k and 55k if you fully load one!
    It's just a matter of time...

Nice car if you can have it just for fun. Wouldnít be great as an only car, kids etc.

Iím sure there is already a solution to get the seat lower.

After some criminal pos scumsuckers decided they liked my amazingly fast and gorgeous RS Megane more than I did, I decided to replace it with a lovely white low mile SLK CDi.
    I thought about it long and hard but decided there is no longer any point having anything fast and desirable. Even if it doesn't get nicked, every miserable bugger and his dog are trying to dob you in for speeding or overtaking, potholes, speed cameras etc, fast cars just not worth it anymore.

Saw one of these last week, looked mean in red. Gave these some thought but decided I wanted something a bit more mental

Yarry by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    After some criminal pos scumsuckers decided they liked my amazingly fast and gorgeous RS Megane more than I did, I decided to replace it with a lovely white low mile SLK CDi.
    I thought about it long and hard but decided there is no longer any point having anything fast and desirable. Even if it doesn't get nicked, every miserable bugger and his dog are trying to dob you in for speeding or overtaking, potholes, speed cameras etc, fast cars just not worth it anymore.
    Who has been telling on you?

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Who has been telling on you?
    I'm working my way through the list.

Toyota bypassed Canada and the US and sold 300 in Mexico.

Sold out in 24 hours. I'm sure some will cross the border

Think it has to do with the emission controls which doesn't pass our countries settings.

I loved my 2004 Echo Hatchback RS. Drove it for 16 years

DON