closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can I avoid the HSBC World of Pain?

Hybrid View

You've got off lightly!

My payment for a GS from here was rejected by my bank, and so I had to spend a couple of hours on the phone trying to find out why and to verify who I was. That then triggered another security warning which could only be resolved by going into a branch in person (this is all during COVID). I spent the entire afternoon in branch, whilst the lovely branch assistant spent two hours on the phone with their own fraud department, convincing them that yes I was indeed who I said I was and that everything was OK. He was bounced around several different departments, as apparently it was now a combined online, telephone and in-person possible fraud! Now it only turned into that, because the only way to resolve the online issue was to telephone, and the only way to resolve the telephone issue was to go in person...

I was very irritated by it all. But with hindsight, I'd rather that day's irritation than a fraudster getting away with several grand.

In summary, if it's an 'urgent' payment (these are only watches after all), I'd go over the phone with the retailer, or use PayPal.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 21st April 2021 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    You've got off lightly!

My payment for a GS from here was rejected by my bank, and so I had to spend a couple of hours on the phone trying to find out why and to verify who I was. That then triggered another security warning which could only be resolved by going into a branch in person (this is all during COVID). I spent the entire afternoon in branch, whilst the lovely branch assistant spent two hours on the phone with their own fraud department, convincing them that yes I was indeed who I said I was and that everything was OK.

I was very irritated by it all. But with hindsight, I'd rather that day's irritation than a fraudster getting away with several grand.
    Point taken. I am not irate about the transaction being scrutinised, I am irate about them blocking payment, asking me to contact them, then realistically being uncontactable.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Point taken. I am not irate about the transaction being scrutinised, I am irate about them blocking payment, asking me to contact them, then realistically being uncontactable.
    Oh absolutely, they are essentially uncontactable as even the bank clerk took over two hours on the phone with their own fraud department and was being bounced around and put back in queues. It was a phenomenal waste of their time.

I'd resort to phone payment in future, or PayPal if they take it.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I think I'd resort to phone payment in future, or PayPal if they take it.
    Interesting. Not considered that.
    Is phone payment more reliable than via my banking app?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Interesting. Not considered that.
    Is phone payment more reliable than via my banking app?
    That, I don't know. But it would be what I'd try given the failings of the app I've experienced.

You'd think the app would be the most reliable given all the security features built into it compared to a telephone card payment, but I've never once had any phone or even website card payments rejected (perhaps that's a bad thing from a security perspective!).

I do understand that the banks are in a difficult position with all this - like with any security, there's a very fine balance between ease of use and security, and I do understand their preference for weighting more towards the security end.