closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seamaster "Speedmaster Companion" c.1967

Seamaster "Speedmaster Companion" c.1967

Omega Seamaster "Speedmaster Companion" c.1967

Do we like these?

It's just arrived. To be honest I had a mild case of "buyer's remorse" after paying -- or at least some nervousness: would the "technical" dial be too dressy? (It's a slate grey with very fine sunburst bushing to give a soft metallic shimmer.) Would the cross-hairs on the dial bug me? Would the size / shape be OK (it's 34mm)? Etc etc.

Well, so far I think I like it.

The dial is really cool and classy without being fussy; the effect is very subtle. I've always liked matte black dials but this is a bit smarter. Laid flat and out of direct light it just looks a sort of dark graphite. The layout is more or less Speedmaster (lovely aged tritium batons with the two dots at 12). Incidentally, I suspect this has the wrong hands: should be Speedy-style "sticks" but to be honest I think I prefer these dauphine ones.

I'm crap with a camera and this is a particularly hard watch to photograph: capturing the dynamic reflection on the dial is impossible and really needs a video.

Very smart, I like it.

Master
    It’s lovely; good purchase! Case back photos please!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    It’s lovely; good purchase! Case back photos please!
    There's just some weird seamonster on the back. ;-)

Master
    Looks a nice watch.

Craftsman
    Very nice, lovely dial

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a fan of those.

Lovely, but I'm not sold on the strap, seems to clash with the dial? Might be just me.

Very nice , would like one of these to go with my Moonwatch. I will get round to it one day !

If you haven't already done a bit of research, take a look at the thread on Omegaforums some good info and examples posted .

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice , would like one of these to go with my Moonwatch. I will get round to it one day !

If you haven't already done a bit of research, take a look at the thread on Omegaforums some good info and examples posted .

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Lovely, but I'm not sold on the strap, seems to clash with the dial? Might be just me.
    No, you’re right. Now on black leather and it looks much better. It’s a surprising hard watch to pair with a strap. Might have a look a Forstner bracelet.

Never heard of these before. Makes me think...maybe one Omega might choose to re-issue one day?

I like the name. Was it originally called the Speedmaster Companion or was this a name given to it by collectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I like the name. Was it originally called the Speedmaster Companion or was this a name given to it by collectors?
    It's one of those collector names.

Here's she is with two Smiths Astrals rocking the late 1960s vibe. Do we need a Show Us Your Grey Dials thread??

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    It's one of those collector names.

Here's she is with two Smiths Astrals rocking the late 1960s vibe. Do we need a Show Us Your Grey Dials thread??
    Thanks...really like the name and the idea of a matching dial Seamaster to the Speedy...looks great!

Lovely on the brown strap. I bet it would look class on a black strap too.

Sorry to say, but thats not a Speedmaster Companion model. It's a variation of the design.

I know, because I coined the phrase back in 2002 along with the Seamaster 300 model

I didn't keep good pictures of the ones I own, but have this. This is the only model thats called the Companion

DON

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Sorry to say, but thats not a Speedmaster Companion model. It's a variation of the design.

I know, because I coined the phrase back in 2002 along with the Seamaster 300 model

I didn't keep good pictures of the ones I own, but have this. This is the only model thats called the Companion

DON
    Indeed, although often one who coins a phrase finds it develops a life of its own and comes to mean or include other things.

A quick search on Omega Forums shows that the phrase is used for all the versions of these 166.002 with the "Speedy" lume and white stick hands, even the white dialled ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Indeed, although often one who coins a phrase finds it develops a life of its own and comes to mean or include other things.

A quick search on Omega Forums shows that the phrase is used for all the versions of these 166.002 with the "Speedy" lume and white stick hands, even the white dialled ones.
    Actually No. One who coins the phrase gets to assign the name to a particular model. It's those that don't know lump all the models into a single design due to 2 dots at 12:00

Does the Speedmaster say Seamaster on it?

Does it have crosshairs?

Does it say Automatic?

No.

Your watch is part of a sub gene of technical models that Omega produced in the late 60's, but it is not a Speedmaster Companion model

Still a nice watch and not trying to an ass. Just telling you what it is and what it isn't

Regards

DON

Actually No. One who coins the phrase gets to assign the name to a particular model. It's those that don't know lump all the models into a single design due to 2 dots at 12:00

Does it have crosshairs?

Does it say Automatic?

No.

Your watch is part of a sub gene of technical models that Omega produced in the late 60's, but it is not a Speedmaster Companion model

Still a nice watch and not trying to an ass. Just telling you what it is and what it isn't

Regards

DON
    Fair enough. I grant that watch you posted a pic of is even more Speedy-esque, although personally I'm coming round to the "technical" grey dial: a softer, more sophisticated look (and I have other black watches, so can scratch that itch elsewhere).

I've always liked Speedmasters and this gives me the nice lume layout without the, for me, downsides (42mm, hand-winding and chronograph works / pushers). It was also about a quarter of the price of the cheapest Speedie, even cheaper if compared to a similarly aged one.

Cheers!

Master

Does it have crosshairs?

Does it say Automatic?

No.

Regards

DON
    Get off your high horse. You could argue that a grey Soleil dial trumps any old black dial companion so perhaps you should be rejoicing in this variation instead of being so sniffy! Bravo, you invented the name. Don't ruin it by being an ass about it (your words). Just saying.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd April 2021 at 22:10.

OK, I can see that Speedmaster Companion is slightly more apt when Seamaster isn't written on the dial, but these watches share so much of the same Speedmaster design cues, that I think the both merit being in the Speedmaster Companion category.

You might have invented it but I have just modified it. From now on, Speedmaster Companion shall refer to Rev-O's model too.

Rev-O....thats a nice Speedmaster Companion you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    OK, I can see that Speedmaster Companion is slightly more apt when Seamaster isn't written on the dial, but these watches share so much of the same Speedmaster design cues, that I think the both merit being in the Speedmaster Companion category.

You might have invented it but I have just modified it. From now on, Speedmaster Companion shall refer to Rev-O's model too.

Rev-O....thats a nice Speedmaster Companion you have.
    I’m sorry but I have unilaterally decided to rename the watch ‘Rev-O companion’.