closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling a private reg - valuation?

Selling a private reg - valuation?

I've never sold a private reg and not sure how I can get a reliable current value and if I can just sell right away to a company prior to changing back to the original reg or maybe a new one of my choosing.

Can anyone advise please and if it has any real value?

Reg is currently on a vehicle and is RRxx RUS

xx = two numbers.

Master
    They are damn near impossible to value and that came from John Hill who used to run Elite Registrations.

Your best bet is to sell it through an agency who will load the price for a customer to haggle down.

It also depends on the plate, if it has a name like Ron, Pat, Sue etc with just 3 or less numbers, it will hold its price. Best to have the letters followed by numbers. i.e Ron 123 rather than 123 Ron.

If it is a hybrid type plate contorted to look like a word or name, then don't bank on a lot.

RUS is going to appeal to Russel or someone nicknamed Rusty possibly, so a rather limited marked. It,s a well laid out plate though.

I have lost touch with the market but off the top of my head, around £2kish
    Last edited by Mick P; 21st April 2021 at 13:19.

Journeyman
    You need a Rolls Royce owner called Russell!

My guess is its worth a few hundred, compare the sites for similar plates that would appeal to your target market.

Just done exactly the same with a private plate that we have purchased with our new car. We won't be needing it. I've sent off for a valuation from three different companies for the plate RX20LEX.

The DVLA is offering 11 different RR xx RUS registration numbers for sale from £250 to £399 -

DVLA LIST
    ______

​Jim.

Ahh, not worth much then!

I would have said less than £500 TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

And if I want to sell the RUS plate in a private transaction and then revert the vehicle to the original plate how do I do this please?

Craftsman
    As the others have already mentioned, its very difficult to value a reg plate but in this case, what is currently available from the DVLA would be a good starting point. I would personally question whether it's a private plate or not, could it have been issued with the car from new.

If it is a private plate, you can apply to DVLA to take it off and place it on a Retention Certificate, the original plate would then usually be reapplied to the vehicle. Once on retention, you have the choice to do what you like at your leisure. I don't know what the position is, if the reg plate is not considered to be private and whether these can be retained.

To me the plate has no value, but to someone with RR & RUS in their life, it may be worth something to them.

If the two numbers are 04 it could be a great number plate for a dragon. ROAR!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    As the others have already mentioned, its very difficult to value a reg plate but in this case, what is currently available from the DVLA would be a good starting point. I would personally question whether it's a private plate or not, could it have been issued with the car from new.

If it is a private plate, you can apply to DVLA to take it off and place it on a Retention Certificate, the original plate would then usually be reapplied to the vehicle. Once on retention, you have the choice to do what you like at your leisure. I don't know what the position is, if the reg plate is not considered to be private and whether these can be retained.

To me the plate has no value, but to someone with RR & RUS in their life, it may be worth something to them.
    Thanks - it is indeed a private plate assigned to a 67 plate vehicle just after purchase.

Is there a fee to keep it on retention?

Just trying to weigh up options, ie revert to original plate as issued by DVLA and pay DVLA £80 for the privilege or maybe buy a cheapo private reg fitting me from DVLA to include the transfer at £250 odd or revert, put on retention and try and sell privately.

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    And if I want to sell the RUS plate in a private transaction and then revert the vehicle to the original plate how do I do this please?

Put the number "on retention" and most likely the originl number will be applied by the DVLA. When you find a buyer for the number you can "nominate" them on the retention certificate and they can then apply the plate to their own car , provided it is not older than the year identifier numbers, i.e. you can't put a "17" year plate on a "15 " registered vehicle.

I have to agree with Mick. A good dateless plate that spells someone’s name and ideally with as low or round a number as possible will have some value. Modern plates aren’t really “private plates” in my view, and are even more naff when people play with spacings, black studs, etc to make them look like something they aren’t.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The DVLA is offering 11 different RR xx RUS registration numbers for sale from £250 to £399 -

DVLA LIST

LOL at £2k.........

Craftsman
    There are some nice old plates out there but some are awful.

There's a thread on Piston Heads that details this kind of mis-spaced nonsense of registration plates under -

What CR124PPY personalised plates have you seen ....'

Master
    There's an underground garage in Edinburgh with 2 cars in cages, covered in tarpaulins. The tarps have been lifted just enough to see V2 & R4 registrations!!

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    LOL at £2k.........
    For clarity- I didn’t agree with that part of Mick’s post...

It’s going to cost you £80 to put that plate on retention which will automatically reassign the previous plate to the vehicle.

If you buy a plate from dvla, it will include the £80 fee and you’d lose the RR plate (I think) as soon as you assign the new plate to the vehicle.

Personally, I’d pay for it to go on retention then stick it on eBay with a £100 opening bid to include the transfer fee and see if it sells. Or perhaps stick it on eBay first and transfer it if it sells.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    There's an underground garage in Edinburgh with 2 cars in cages, covered in tarpaulins. The tarps have been lifted just enough to see V2 & R4 registrations!!
    V 2 is registered to a 1986 1192cc Volkswagen, which is currently in SORN status.

R 4 is registered to a 1970 1192cc Volkswagen, which is currently in SORN status.
    ______

​Jim.

Selling a private reg - valuation?

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    They should be a 1986 and a 1970 VW Beetle.

Edit : beaten to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s going to cost you £80 to put that plate on retention which will automatically reassign the previous plate to the vehicle.

If you buy a plate from dvla, it will include the £80 fee and you’d lose the RR plate (I think) as soon as you assign the new plate to the vehicle.

Personally, I’d pay for it to go on retention then stick it on eBay with a £100 opening bid to include the transfer fee and see if it sells. Or perhaps stick it on eBay first and transfer it if it sells.
    That sounds like a plan. :)