closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cataract Surgery

Master
    Blog Entries

Cataract Surgery

Went into the Spa Medica Clinic yesterday to have my Cataract done. What a fantastic straightforward procedure with no fuss or pain and the results are phenomenal, it’s like a brand new world. My Cataract only took three months to make my life hell, driving when sunny was terrible, reading a newspaper was a No no. I am this morning using my Laptop and iPad without spectacles. It was a six week wait and carried out on the National Health.

Master
    Yes, it certainly makes an enormous difference. Did you have one or both eyes done?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The other eye as a very small one at the moment so no doubt in the not so distant future that will need to be done

Cataract Surgery

Congratulations sir, I can fully understand how you feel!

I developed cataracts in both eyes, worsening over a period of about 30 years. Nothing could be done until the cataracts matured, but finally in 2014 I had both eyes done, one at a time, 4 months apart. The surgeon fitted prescription lenses instead of just plain ones, so my glasses were subsequently binned, and it’s completely enhanced my whole life! The effect was so good and so immediate that madam and I rode our motorcycle from Oxfordshire to Scotland for a two week holiday, just 4 days after the second surgery!

I have enormous respect and gratitude for the NHS, who treated me like a private patient when I attended the John Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford for the operations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pinpull; 21st April 2021 at 16:41.

This is great to hear. I am having my left eye done on 10th June.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s great feeling Andy you will feel like a new man.. We had a 65”OLED Jan 20 and this afternoon I thought we had bought a new TV

Master
    It is amazing. I had both mine done 6 weeks apart, and felt I could see through brick walls afterwards. I am now a bit susceptible to "glare", and can sometimes wear very slightly tinted glasses to cope with it.

Blog Entries
    A word of warning!

I had my right eye done in Feb 2020. The surgeon told me to contact the clinic when I was experiencing unusual 'sights' like flashes or the idea that someone closes a curtain.

Fast forward 3.5 months: I noticed black spots in my right eye's field of view. And when I was in bed, I experienced something of a flash. But hey, 3 months after surgery... A quick look on the internet showed that the spots were some sort of protein and that it's a common thing when you're 60+. So I didn't pay attention.Then, a few days later, I woke up with the idea that there was a Band-Aid on my nose and that I had to look around it.
    I noticed that the 'Band-Aid' was 'growing' and I contacted the clinic (24/7 service) for advice. Next thing I knew was that my wife had to drive me to Amsterdam and that I was in the operating theatre with full anesthetics because of Ablatio Retinae. Quite common after Cataract Surgery. The black dots were the warning sign: small particles of blood caused when the retinae tore off.

End of the story: all's well again. But A.R. needs to be repaired within 48 hrs.

Master
    I also had a retinal detachment after cataract surgery & it's one of the potential issues any patient should have been warned about.

OP: make sure you know & remember the signs of possible issues & don't hesitate to get to A&E or eye clinic if you think you are having them.

Grand Master
    I had lens replacement surgery late last year and have to say it is the best money I have ever spent on my wellbeing / Repair to date
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I also had a retinal detachment after cataract surgery & it's one of the potential issues any patient should have been warned about.

OP: make sure you know & remember the signs of possible issues & don't hesitate to get to A&E or eye clinic if you think you are having them.
    Noted thanks for that

I had my surgery this morning at 8.30. All done and dusted within 30 minutes. No fuss, no muss. I am wearing an eye shield at the moment so it’s difficult to say how effective it was, but for some reason I am able to use my IPad without having to wear glasses .

Another 4-6 weeks before I have the other eye done, but things are certainly looking brighter (pun intended).

The only down side is that you have to apply two types of eye drops, four times a day for 2 and 4 weeks respectively, but that’s understandable I suppose.

The NHS is excellent.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I had my surgery this morning at 8.30. All done and dusted within 30 minutes. No fuss, no muss. I am wearing an eye shield at the moment so it’s difficult to say how effective it was, but for some reason I am able to use my IPad without having to wear glasses .

Another 4-6 weeks before I have the other eye done, but things are certainly looking brighter (pun intended).

The only down side is that you have to apply two types of eye drops, four times a day for 2 and 4 weeks respectively, but that’s understandable I suppose.

The NHS is excellent.
    You will see the benefits in the morningAndy, just rest and lie flat it’s a whole new beautiful world in the morning.

PS I have my other one done in a month

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    You will see the benefits in the morningAndy, just rest and lie flat it’s a whole new beautiful world in the morning.

PS I have my other one done in a month
    4 days later. Started hitting golf balls today, and for the first time in about 6 months was actual able to follow the flight of the ball. All my glasses are now in a draw, possibly awaiting conversion to sunglasses.

it’s like watching HD for the first time. Love it. Cannot wait until the next one is done.

Friedrich Nietzsche

All my glasses are now in a draw
    Are you selling tickets to win them ?

Blog Entries
    4 days later. Started hitting golf balls today, and for the first time in about 6 months was actual able to follow the flight of the ball. All my glasses are now in a draw, possibly awaiting conversion to sunglasses.

it’s like watching HD for the first time. Love it. Cannot wait until the next one is done.
    Do you notice a difference in colours? When my right eye was done, everything had a blue tone. The left eye showed everything with a brown-ish tone. As if someone had spilled coffee over the other, not-yet-operated lens.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Are you selling tickets to win them ?
    Beat me to it
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Do you notice a difference in colours? When my right eye was done, everything had a blue tone. The left eye showed everything with a brown-ish tone. As if someone had spilled coffee over the other, not-yet-operated lens.
    Not really, however whites seemed much brighter with the corrected eye.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I would reiterate the warnings re retinal detachment.

I experienced this about two years after having my cataracts done. Luckily(?) one of my wife's friends had a retinal detachment ten days prior to mineso I was well aware of the symptoms andthe absolute necessity to act immediately.

First symptoms appeared on a Saturday afternoon, went straight to A&E and had my operation early the following morning. Three months later the same thing happened with my other eye.

Speed is indeed essential in such circumstances but, that said, I'm very pleased with the outcome of my cataract ops.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That's normal - with cataracts the lens gradually becomes yellow/brown and is only noticed when replaced by a new clear/colourless lens. The 'blue tone' is really the neutral colours your eyes once 'saw'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would say mine is blue / grey, but just so sharp now and clear