closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a headset for home working

Recommend me a headset for home working

I need to get a headset for video calls and for a conference that I'll be speaking at next week - any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks, Jon

I have a Jabra Evolve 75 from work which is really good. Any of the Jabra headsets would do well for you, it just depends on how much money you want to spend and whether you want wireless.

I use Jabra 75T Bluetooth headphones. Worth checking if work block your Bluetooth before committing to anything Bluetooth without a dongle.

Master
    We use Sennheiser products. Good quality and well priced.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a Sennheiser and my wife has a Jabra headset.

Both are bluetooth connected.

Both are brilliant.

I would recommend getting an integrated base for charging/storage when not in use, which may cost a few pounds more dependant on model.

Interested in this...I want to declutter wires from my home desk but I'm not willing to spend much money on a work item! Currently have a Plantronics wired headset. Anyone have any cheaper-end bluetooth recommendations?

Other question - with bluetooth headsets for Skype/Teams...do you have to connect them prior to a call? So if I get an incoming call, will I be scrabbling to connect these if I have forgotten or do they just automatically connect when you turn your computer on?
    Last edited by Christian; 21st April 2021 at 11:46.

Christian, all need a few seconds to connect - 5 secs max. I don't think the higher end work specific headsets will need this as they'll come with a paired USB adapter and will have shorter connection times.

For instance mine are paired to my phone too so connect to my phone, then laptop, then realise the laptop has sound coming out and flick over to that. I can turn Bluetooth on my phone off to make it quicker but then it disconnects my Garmin watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Interested in this...I want to declutter wires from my home desk but I'm not willing to spend much money on a work item! Currently have a Plantronics wired headset. Anyone have any cheaper-end bluetooth recommendations?

Other question - with bluetooth headsets for Skype/Teams...do you have to connect them prior to a call? So if I get an incoming call, will I be scrabbling to connect these if I have forgotten or do they just automatically connect when you turn your computer on?
    The Jabra 75 has a power switch. Once it's switched on it has power for ~14 hours of operation. It does not switch off automatically which my personal gaming headset does after 10 minutes of inactivity. I've set the Jabra software up for both WebEx and Teams. When I get a call in either, I just press the answer button on the headset to take the call. If I'm in a Teams call and have to answer an external call on WebEx, I press the button and I automatically leave the teams call and answer the WebEx phone call. It is an expensive headset but it does work really well.

Have you tried asking work to provide a wireless headset? Mine was provided as part of my standard kit.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Christian, all need a few seconds to connect - 5 secs max. I don't think the higher end work specific headsets will need this as they'll come with a paired USB adapter and will have shorter connection times.

For instance mine are paired to my phone too so connect to my phone, then laptop, then realise the laptop has sound coming out and flick over to that. I can turn Bluetooth on my phone off to make it quicker but then it disconnects my Garmin watch too.
    Thanks. I have had recent success getting rid of wires from my desk - I have a bluetooth keyboard that transitions between my work PC, iPad and mac seamlessly using a selection button. Just the headset I need to do now!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Have you tried asking work to provide a wireless headset? Mine was provided as part of my standard kit.
    Thanks for the info - will be investigating. Unfortunately, no their standard issue is a wired model.

Master
    I use a plantronics 5200 uc all the time whether at a desk or driving a wagon and it’s the best Headset I’ve ever used by far and I’ve gone through loads over the years! It will sense when you put it on and is very good on the noice cancellation side of getting rid of background noise when your on a call. The charger pack will last me a week of use and recharges the headset when docked, I must have mine on at least 60 hours a week, I broke one and bought the same again as I’ve never found anything to match it. But that’s just my view.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a MPOW HC5 for work and is used daily for MS Teams, Cisco softphone etc. I have to top-up charge each day but the headset is in use for 8 hrs+.

Overall the sound quality is fine and no one has complained about hearing me. The comfort is fine but there is no dedicated L and R and therefore you wear the headset in accordance to which side you want the boom arm.

I have a Plantronics Voyager Focus UC and a Savi W720 Binaural

https://www.poly.com/gb/en/products/...yager-focus-uc

https://www.poly.com/gb/en/support/p...upport-model-2

I prefer the former when I'm travelling, not least because it has noise-cancelling and the latter at home because the headset is lighter and the range is greater.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I have used a Jabra Evolve 75 Bluetooth headset which is excellent, though I would say that as I'm selling them. I haven't got around to listing them yet and won't until the weekend. They're like new and the version without the stand; let me know if you're interested.

Full details HERE.
    On Amazon HERE.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I wasn't planning on spending much money really...unfortunately my workplace will not be providing them!

Are these cheap ones any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Blueto...s%2C163&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NV93N...nVl&pldnSite=1
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 21st April 2021 at 19:38.

I would recommend Plantronics also BUT I would highly recommend you don't accidentally put the headset in the wash.

Don't ask.
    It was an expensive mistake.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I wasn't planning on spending much money really...unfortunately my workplace will not be providing them!

Are these cheap ones any good?
    I've had my eye on the MPow one. In my experience, the other MPow stuff I've bought has been excellent.

Master
    Does it need to be wireless? I've got a wired USB Jabra headset around somewhere that's seen very little use as work upgraded us all to wireless.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I use aftershockz opencomm. The open ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I have used a Jabra Evolve 75 Bluetooth headset which is excellent, though I would say that as I'm selling them. I haven't got around to listing them yet and won't until the weekend. They're like new and the version without the stand; let me know if you're interested.

Full details HERE.
    On Amazon HERE.
    I have these and they are very good luckily provided by work as im not sure id want to stump up the RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I have these and they are very good luckily provided by work as im not sure id want to stump up the RRP.
    Agree...my work only provide a very basic wired USB headset. No way can I justify spending over about £40 just to declutter wires from my desk. As a temporary measure, I've invested £5 for an under-desk hook to hide the thing when not in use!

For a good cheap one Mpow Crescent is great value for money.
    Under £20.00 on Amazon I believe. Very comfortable with good battery life and very clear.
    Model BH028A.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Agree...my work only provide a very basic wired USB headset. No way can I justify spending over about £40 just to declutter wires from my desk. As a temporary measure, I've invested £5 for an under-desk hook to hide the thing when not in use!
    I was on verge of buying a wireless headset but following an all staff meeting about work-life balance and equipment to make home working easier, the question was posed for wireless headsets. It was agreed, otherwise I would have purchased, not from perspective of decluttering but for being able to stand up and walk around during long calls. Especially handy during Teams meetings where you are ‘listening’ only and can wander into the kitchen to make a coffee and grab some custard creams.

Plantronics 5200

Make sure you get the UC version with the BT module and charger case.

https://www.headset-store.co.uk/plan...h-headset.html

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Plantronics 5200

Make sure you get the UC version with the BT module and charger case.

https://www.headset-store.co.uk/plan...h-headset.html
    Thanks for your help, I've gone ahead and ordered this one.

Bit pricier than I was intending but I'm going to be doing a lot of staff training via MS Teams so I figured it would be worth it. Plantronics gets some strong endorsements on this thread. Will feed back after I've tried them. Thanks all!

You won't go wrong with it - I use a Savvi in the office which connects to deskphone, computer and mobile but WFH I use the 5200 which is far superior and with the case it is absolutely brilliant.

Download the app for it that is useful, especially if you have Tile tracker as it adds the 5200 to your Tile collection.