closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New mobile phone advice....

New mobile phone advice....

Guys I need a new phone. My old Samsung Galaxy Alpha is dying. It keeps rebooting of its own accord and often gets stuck in that reboot loop until I remove the battery and reinsert/start.
    I also keep getting the 'Google Play Services has stopped working' message and it remains despite my going through all the usual advice and so called fixes.
    The phone has not been supported by software updates for a few years now so I can't try that.
    Most new apps won't install, again as the phone is either too old or just plain out of storage and processing power.
    So, it's time to look at how I do my mobile phone thing, to reassess how I do it.
    I currently have a sim only package attached to my Virgin media pack, its fairly cheap, with 5gb of data (possibly being upped to 10gb) and unlimited everything else.
    I think that being an 'Oomph' sim attached to my media pack, it's subsidised by the media pack discounts.
    Virgin tell me that if I remove it (to look for a new sim deal elsewhere) that my monthly payment will actually increase not descrease. Not by much, only a few quid buy it still sounds odd to me. Probably because by removing it I'd lose some other discounts in the media pack, thus increasing the cost of what remains?
    I can keep it and buy a new phone off Virgin (all Virgins phones are now sold unlocked) but as my media pack contract expires next May I know they will try to put the price up by over £20 PM. Should they be unwilling to renegotiate another package for the same rough monthly price then I'd want to leave and shop around. They tell me that should I cancel my media pack, I would also lose the sim deal and be transferred over to a standard Virgin mobile sim, which (not being supported by the media pack discounts) would be more per month or less data (I.e. 1gb instead of 5gb). However, I could cancel the sim as well and look for a new sim deal elsewhere, as if I buy a new phone from Virgin, the phone is unlocked and therefore not tied to Virgin.

They quote me £23 pm for 3 years for an iPhone Mini 128gb. That is for the phone only as the sim is part of the above media pack.
    Is that a good deal? They say it's not applying interest but based on the retail cost it seems to have over £100+ added on if you x £23 by 36 months.
    To buy a decent phone, be it Apple or Android outright would be a fair outlay that I can't make right now so a pay monthly phone is my only option.

Do I need 5g? Not needing it will give me more choice of phone but I'd kick myself If I didn't get a 5g phone and bearing in mind I'd be welded to that phone for 3 years, after a few months or so 5g was widely available.

If your budget dictated either 5g or more memory (I.e. 128gb rather than 64gb), which would you suggest is the better choice?

I don't want to carry a tablet around, so a fairly compact phone is my preference although the iPhone XR, 11 and non mini 12 are all about within acceptable size limits.

I also thought that Samsung phones were cheaper than iPhones but the newer ones do not seem to be?

General advice sought here.

Thanks

The answer to "do I need 5G" is no for the foreseeable future. Apart from the fact that you may not even have access to it where you live, 4G still have some some legs for at least a couple of years.
    After that, will you "need" 5G: the answer is still no, in as much as even today when we are in a 3G-only situation we manage to do most things on the phone, so speed will only be a limiting factor for large data loads, like streaming (and even then, a small phone is not the ideal screen anyway).
    In terms of memory, see how much you have and how much you've used. It will likely increase but if you use a cloud account for your photos and other large files you should be all right.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I've just bought a OnePlus 6T off EBay 8gbt and 128g.memory. Blazing fast, quality camera, no bloatware, (£134) using GiffGaff.
    I'm so impressed with it I bought Liz one too.
    If your not downloading huge files or games, you don't need 5G.

As Rod says a used OnePlus is hard to beat.

If looking new I would look at a Google Pixel personally but OnePlus is also very good.

Craftsman
    Phone are very personal things but my advice would the the iPhone SE. Direct from Apple the 64gb is £16.62 per month for 24 months and the 128gb is £18.70 so both seem cheaper than what you’ve been offered.

It’s not 5G compatible but, as per the previous post I can’t see that being an issue for the next few years.

I’ve got one as my work phone and it’s tremendous so much so that I’ve recommended it to my mum and MiL and they both love it as well.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ip...lay-64gb-white

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've just bought a OnePlus 6T off EBay ... I'm so impressed with it I bought Liz one too.
    Rod, I know you've been a long time satisfied Moto user - as I am myself. Could I just ask if you switched brands for any particular reason, or if you just fancied a change?
    Last edited by petethegeek; 21st April 2021 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Rod, I know you've been a long time satisfied Moto user - as I am myself. Could I just ask if you switched brands for any particular reason, or if you just fancied a change?
    I read various reviews on the OnePlus phones, apart from the knowledge the Motorola phones were on their final Android 10, the OnePlus models were rumoured to get Android 11 but I'm not certain that is the case.
    A OnePlus6 was for sale on the forum for a good price so I bought it. Have to say it's brilliant!
    It's very fast, fluid, Amoled screen, fast start up and I like the Oxygen OS overlay.
    Anyway I have given that to Liz and I've bought the 6T which has 8gb and 128gb storage. Cameras are superb too. I've moved the Motorola's on SC to new owners.

I'd caution the praise of OnePlus cameras. They're a league ahead of the Motorolas but you cannot compare them to the cameras in any flagship phone from any manufacturer in the last few years.

The Google Pixel 2 released in 2017 has a better camera than even the latest OnePlus. Cameras are the Achilles heel of OnePlus and the main reason I don't have one.

Cameras to one side they are fantastic phones for the money and well worth the money.

Thanks, I’ll check them
    out.
    Id not have a problem with Android if they weren’t all so darn big these days!
    Also, don’t Android phones have shorter periods of time before software updates are not supported on a particular phone, compared to Apple?
    As I keep my phones for a few years that is something that concerns me.
    I don’t want to buy a phone to find that updates are not available in a year or so.

Generally 3 years minimum of guaranteed software and security updates. I think Apple is 4-5 but nothing set in store.

Pixel: https://support.google.com/pixelphon...57705?hl=en-GB

OnePlus: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/o...hedule.862347/

Samsung: https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...id-os-upgrades

Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...he3fa5df43/ios

My last 3 phones have been Google I always but sim free.

My current pixel 2 is over 3 years and still running fine.

There's a Google Pixel 5 in SC doesn't say that it's sold yet.

I was tempted to get the above 5 but as the my 2 is still ok I'll wait till the 6 comes out at the end of the year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Phone are very personal things but my advice would the the iPhone SE.
    Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'd caution the praise of OnePlus cameras. They're a league ahead of the Motorolas but you cannot compare them to the cameras in any flagship phone from any manufacturer in the last few years.
    The camera is excellent in the OnePlus6.
    The phone is not a 'flagship' model but compared to other mid-priced mobiles it is excellent.....at least this review thought so

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/onep...smartphone-yet

The camera is excellent in the OnePlus6.
    The phone is not a 'flagship' model but compared to other mid-priced mobiles it is excellent.....at least this review thought so

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/onep...smartphone-yet
    A close friend works there and part of their job is "helping" reviewers and tech YouTubers. Since then I don't trust any reviews for any manufacturer, I watch 5-10 reviews for each product I'm interested and imagine the bad stuff is probably 10x worse and try to think about what they're not mentioning.

I've seen great pictures taken on OnePlus phones (I owned the 3T, 5T, 6, 7, and 8 including 'Pro' models. The best pictures I ever got were with the Google camera port and nearly every real world review will advise that option is available. Where they really struggle is with in-motion photography. Wrist shots will be fine but good luck taking a quality shot of kids playing for instance.

If it wasn't for their weak cameras and exclusive fast charging system I would probably be typing this on a OnePlus 9 Pro right now and not a Pixel 5. I can get one per year half price.

Also +1 for the iPhone SE. Pretty much unbeatable for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    A close friend works there and part of their job is "helping" reviewers and tech YouTubers.
    Please expand on this ...

Blog Entries
    Phone are very personal things but my advice would the the iPhone SE. Direct from Apple the 64gb is £16.62 per month for 24 months and the 128gb is £18.70 so both seem cheaper than what you’ve been offered.

It’s not 5G compatible but, as per the previous post I can’t see that being an issue for the next few years.

I’ve got one as my work phone and it’s tremendous so much so that I’ve recommended it to my mum and MiL and they both love it as well.

This, but didn't like the rounded edges on it, found it slipped out of my hand too easily. Now cured with a case with flat sides and really happy with it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Giving 'em free stuff no doubt, so they can do unbiased reviews on it.......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Can only expand enough to say the help is considerable.

Horses for courses, I've done some 4k videos of my grandchildren and I'm very pleased with the results sharp, and natural colours.
    I'm not expecting the results of a high end phone, but then I don't need one.

Thanks but to be clear, I was offered an iPhone 12 ‘Mini’ so not a direct comparison to the SE.
    However, it was £23 pm over 3 years not 2 so yeah a lot more money.

I always buy an iPhone from apple direct, pay over 2 years and keep for 3, rinse and repeat. I currently pay £23 a month for a sim only with ee, unlimited calls, texts and data - plus a subscription to BritBox for free (which I actually use) - I think data costs have really fallen tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always smile at these sort of threads

The “experts” popping up - this camera is better blah blah

Ask yourself how you use your camera in real life..... the odd snap here and there? Are you David Bailey?
    A cheap phone can take a good picture
    An expensive one the reverse - much down to the user

There are so many sub £150 phones on the market that are frankly awesome

Reading material would be tech radar and other review sites

Calls, what’s app, texts and browsing - they all do it

So why pay silly money..... oh.... sorry, it’s the whole “Rolex” argument all over again I guess lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I always smile at these sort of threads

The “experts” popping up - this camera is better blah blah

Ask yourself how you use your camera in real life..... the odd snap here and there? Are you David Bailey?
    A cheap phone can take a good picture
    An expensive one the reverse - much down to the user

There are so many sub £150 phones on the market that are frankly awesome

Reading material would be tech radar and other review sites

Calls, what’s app, texts and browsing - they all do it

So why pay silly money..... oh.... sorry, it’s the whole “Rolex” argument all over again I guess lol

I think it depends what you want a phone for and what you use it for tbh. I just want mine to turn on, get all the updates automatically and work. My phone is my main stills camera, video camera, browsing device, music player, access to banking etc - so security is important. ‘Cost per use’ over a couple of years it’s a lot cheaper than the pile of separate kit you’d need to do the same stuff in the 90’s for starters, so I really don’t think they are overpriced. As a phone? Of course they are expensive, except they aren’t just phones any more.
    Add in the fact that an iPhone will always have an intrinsic ‘resale’ value and personally they make the most sense to me. I did have android phones for a while and they were ok - but they tended to stop receiving updates and start going wrong after 18 months so weren’t actually cheaper at all. I’m sure I could have fixed some of the issues but I just want to pick up a phone and it works. Ymmv of course!

My Grandson has just bought an iPhone 12, spent nigh on a £1000 for it and had to fork out another £50 for the charger.
    Phone snobbery, just to say he's got the latest to his mates.
    He's sent me a photo which looks ok, but nothing special to me.🙄

My Grandson has just bought an iPhone 12, spent nigh on a £1000 for it and had to fork out another £50 for the charger.
    Phone snobbery, just to say he's got the latest to his mates.
    He's sent me a photo which looks ok, but nothing special to me.
    He was robbed then Rod. An Apple charger is £19. That said I use a Belkin 32W Fast charger with both USB and USB-C ports, and a Belkin cable which is thicker and sturdier then the Apple cable, £25 for the pair from Amazon. Of course an iPhone with fast charging capability can still be charged with a standard Apple charger and cable, just a the normal speed and not the much faster rate of a higher capacity cable and plug.
    F.T.F.A.

Another option is to look at the more budget friendly Chinese phones. Full disclosure I've never owned one so can't comment directly, however different reviews and anecdotal advice from owners indicate they are good VFM. Here's a review below of different phones just to give you an idea.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-c...phone-3616945/

The iPhone Mini is a great phone and a really lovely size. Camera, general performance, build quality, etc are all superb. The battery life is ‘good enough’, it’s a smaller phone with a smaller battery, but you’ll get through a day of fairly heavy use easily enough.
    Software updates and the huge amount of performance headroom mean it’ll last you years - 4-5 minimum. Chances are the battery will need replacing by then, as would be the case with all phones of that age, but it’s nice to know it will last.

If you want to stick with Android, the Pixel 5 or 4a are great options, as are the OnePlus models mentioned here already.

What it will come down to, as always when buying smartphones, is personal preference. You won’t go wrong with the iPhone Mini but if you have a specific concern about it, there’s guaranteed to be an Android phone that addresses it. If that’s the case post the concern here and advice can get more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Another option is to look at the more budget friendly Chinese phones. Full disclosure I've never owned one so can't comment directly, however different reviews and anecdotal advice from owners indicate they are good VFM. Here's a review below of different phones just to give you an idea.

The reckon phones I can tell you are amazing as are the poco

Phone snobbery is correct

Try one - you’ll be astonished

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post

Am I missing something here, or are they all about the same price as a top end iPhone or Samsung anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Am I missing something here, or are they all about the same price as a top end iPhone or Samsung anyway?
    Go down the list, several range from under £200 to £500 and a few at the higher end of approx £700. The main point is you can get a fairly decent specced phone for a lot less than a Apple or Samsung phone.

I don’t get the price issue either. My iPhone 11pro (bought when announced) will cost me £1200 over 24months including all calls/data, deduct say £300 in residual value that is around £38 a month for BY A COUNTRY MILE my most used tech item, heck it’s not far from being second most used item full stop second to my bed.

And it pretty much carries my entire life, photos, camera, banking, communication, entertainment, payments ... best value item ever! Compare cost to your car per used hour.
    Last edited by jonasy; 24th April 2021 at 08:33.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think it depends what you want a phone for and what you use it for tbh. I just want mine to turn on, get all the updates automatically and work. My phone is my main stills camera, video camera, browsing device, music player, access to banking etc - so security is important. ‘Cost per use’ over a couple of years it’s a lot cheaper than the pile of separate kit you’d need to do the same stuff in the 90’s for starters, so I really don’t think they are overpriced. As a phone? Of course they are expensive, except they aren’t just phones any more.
    Add in the fact that an iPhone will always have an intrinsic ‘resale’ value and personally they make the most sense to me. I did have android phones for a while and they were ok - but they tended to stop receiving updates and start going wrong after 18 months so weren’t actually cheaper at all. I’m sure I could have fixed some of the issues but I just want to pick up a phone and it works. Ymmv of course!

Same for me, I have tried many of these cheap Chinese Android phones and given upon them as they all seem to have some problem, very heavy, poor camera, lockups, limited updates. I have recently purchased a little SE2 and am happy with most things for the money I paid, camera is superb and will be supported for years to come.

Master

Lightbulb

I work my way thought phones as I get bored easily, my favourite from the last few years has been the Huawei P30 pro, good camera, good battery and a reasonable size.
    However the size of the IPhone SE was better but the battery not as good, dual sim meant using an esim and some of the apps I use didn’t function properly on IOS.
    I’m now on a OnePlus 9 Pro, great battery, the camera isn’t bad, size wise it’s a little too big, but it will charge from zero to fully charged in something crazy like half an hour which for me is very useful.

At the end of the day it boils down to what is important in the phone for yourself, and what are you prepared to comprise on as no phone is perfect.

Am I alone in also avoiding any Chinese made ‘cheap phone’ as I just don’t trust their software and security? Perhaps that sounds xenophobic but I want to absolutely minimise any chance of being hacked etc - I wouldn’t let anything Huawei etc near my personal details

It’s not an unreasonable concern. Cheap tech is cheap usually for one of a few reasons: scale, construction quality, specifications, or the manufacturer makes money by other means.

It’s why things like Roku media streamers, Amazon Echo, Google / Nest smart speakers, etc are practically given away. It’s the data they provide that makes the money.
    In the US companies like TCL are open about these things being their primary revenue source (via advertising mostly) and acknowledge hardware doesn’t make them much.

There’s no reason to think the same doesn’t apply here. I’m sure it’s in the T&C’s we all blindly click through without reading.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Am I alone in also avoiding any Chinese made ‘cheap phone’ as I just don’t trust their software and security? Perhaps that sounds xenophobic but I want to absolutely minimise any chance of being hacked etc - I wouldn’t let anything Huawei etc near my personal details

No i do the same.
    There have been some chinese brand phones that have had malware on the phone from new.
    I dont know whether its deliberate by the manufacturer or poor securrity during testing or something else.

Dont remember the brand names unfortunately but hopefully a google will bring up some names.

As to what phone, a pixel 4a seems a decent bet as its not a big phone and gets updates faster than
    other phones as its googles own brand of phone.

Stock android as well, so no custom overlay or extra bloat preinstalled.

Master
    Thanks, I’ll check them
    out.
    Id not have a problem with Android if they weren’t all so darn big these days!
    Also, don’t Android phones have shorter periods of time before software updates are not supported on a particular phone, compared to Apple?
    As I keep my phones for a few years that is something that concerns me.
    I don’t want to buy a phone to find that updates are not available in a year or so.
    Some of the Google Pixel models are more manageable.

If you want an iPhone 6s please let me know your address and I'll pop one in the post. I have 3 kicking about, new batteries and screens so good to go.

Don't want anything for it.

Best regards

Paul

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks but to be clear, I was offered an iPhone 12 ‘Mini’ so not a direct comparison to the SE.
    However, it was £23 pm over 3 years not 2 so yeah a lot more money.
    The 12 mini 128gb is £31.20 pm/24m from Apple saves you around a ton but from what you’ve described the se2 would be a good choice.